It's a Girl for Autumn and Peter: Isla Elizabeth Phillips - March 29, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good that "s" is not pronounced! It sounds much better without it!

As for Diana,s first son, I heard that she wanted to name hin John after her father, but she was forbidden, because this name is seen in the BRF as "cursed".

Really 2012 is a "Royal girls" year! As for now, the only Royal boy born this year is Sheikh Zayed bin Rashid al Maktoum of Dubai.

Congrats to Peter, Autumn and Savannah and to the rest of the families. Welcome to the world Isla Elizabeth. A very pretty name and thanks for the pronouncation of her name. I love the Scottish influence with it.

A very cute name in my opinion and it goes very well with Savannah. Congrats to them.

Isla Elizabeth is a beautiful, beautiful name. Congrats to Peter and Autumn on the new edition to their happy family. :)

Congratulations to Autumn, Peter and Savannah!

Isla Elizabeth is a very beautiful name.

Artemisia, that's an interesting list of reigning Queens' names.
I don't think there would be any need to duplicate them, however.
If Beatrice, for example, were to become Queen her name would be legally acceptable - wouldn't it? I think that 'Savannah' might even be legally allowed should, God forbid, some terrible misfortune overcome the rest of the Royal family. Does anyone know whether only certain restricted names are accepted for a regent?

Thank you. :)
As far as legal part of this comes, there is no restriction to the Monarch's name. Queen Victoria's name was quite regal and although there had never been a previous Monarch with the name, it was accepted quite easily (even though initially it was thought she would reign under her first given name - Alexandrina). Beatrice is certainly royal enough to similarly encounter no difficulties.
There could even be King Pilot Inspektor or Queen Princess Tiaamii for all it matters; however, in case of the more exotic names, it is likely a more regal-sounding name will be chosen as the regnal one. For example, if Isla Elizabeth were to become Queen, she would probably choose Elizabeth as her regnal name; that wouldn't be unusual since most Monarchs starting from Queen Victoria actually reigned not under their first, but one of the middle names. A Monarch is free to choose one of his/her middle names as the one he/she would reign under, or a completely random name altogether.

Prince Charles, for example, could reign under any of his given names - as Charles III, Philip I (or Philip II, depending on whether Philip of Spain - Mary I's husband - is accepted as King Regnant of England, which he was for the duration of their marriage), Arthur I, or George VII. Alternatively, he could become Edward IX, Henry IX, Robert IV, or Francis I - any regnal name he'd choose.

The royal families are all about continuity; choosing a first name for the Heir with strong royal connections, probably one that had belonged to previous Queens Regnant, would be the logical (but not obligatory) thing to do.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the family and I love the name!

Now, I'm not from Britain or another English speaking country so I am wondering, is it pronounced "eye-la" or "IS-la"?

i can not wait to see some photos of her i bet she is just as beautiful her big sister

Now, I'm not from Britain or another English speaking country so I am wondering, is it pronounced "eye-la" or "IS-la"?
I have a British friend whose daughter is also named Isla and it's pronounced [ailə].
"A" as in "eye", "i" as in "yellow", "l" as in "look" and "ə" as in "admit" - Eyela.

Last edited:

I would pronounce it Is-la. But eye-la seems to be the general consensus.

I'd pronounce it as IS-la too, but I see the logic in pronouncing it like "isle". I don't know.
Thank you both for helping me out :flowers:

Such a beautiful name. I say never end your love through life and keep away from harmony and the celebratory. And that is what I am witnessing here. The name is so spiritual and metaphorical/metaphysical. It does roll off the tongue as I imagine it in Spanish. I imagine the Royals are good people and are apparently trying to always land upon the devinity through a god given right. And I see it as the case. So I am proud to see this day arrive for the whole British family. It must be wonderful. Congratulations to Peter and Autumn Phillips on their naming and birthing of Isla Elizabeth. Congratulations!!!:queenelizabeth: :britflag: :rainbow: :fireworks:

Last edited:
Thank you. :)

The royal families are all about continuity; choosing a first name for the Heir with strong royal connections, probably one that had belonged to previous Queens Regnant, would be the logical (but not obligatory) thing to do.

Plus, a future monarch will have to have a name with a Latin version for the part in Parry's Coronation anthem I Was Glad where the choir proclaims (for QEII as an example) "Vivat Regina! Vivat Regina Elizabetha!". I mean "Vivat Regina Beyonce" wouldn't quite sound the same.

Congratulations to Peter Phillips and autumn on the birth of their second daughter!

Congratulations to the family - beautiful name. (And Isla shares my birthday!!)

when we can see a picture of the little baby? may be in june?

:previous:I would think not until the christening, if that takes place in summer.

Congrats to the growing family!! Is the baby's name pronounces iz-la? I've never really heard of this name befored

Congratulations to the couple and family. I was hoping for a boy (the only of the 3 royal babies I was rooting for a boy), but Savannah having a sister is cute too. I hope we see photos soon.

I am surprised we knew the name so quickly. It was never announced with Savannah, just the minister let it slip, and we still don't know her middle name. I assume she has one, it is common, and if her sister has one I'd think she does. Also it doesn't seem family tradition on either side not to.

Nice tribute to the queen in her jubilee year. Nice link to Scottish roots (queen mum). Isla is Scottish, and comes from the island of Islay, which is called the queen of the hebrides.

Last edited:
^^^^
A case of Google translate going bad, LOL, Elizabeth Island Phillips, LOL, LOL.

Congratulations to the couple and family. I was hoping for a boy (the only of the 3 royal babies I was rooting for a boy), but Savannah having a sister is cute too. I hope we see photos soon.

I am surprised we knew the name so quickly. It was never announced with Savannah, just the minister let it slip, and we still don't know her middle name. I assume she has one, it is common, and if her sister has one I'd think she does. Also it doesn't seem family tradition on either side not to.

Nice tribute to the queen in her jubilee year. Nice link to Scottish roots (queen mum). Isla is Scottish, and comes from the island of Islay, which is called the queen of the hebrides.

Wikipedia says their first daughter was named Savannah Anne Kathleen

I think that Savannah Anne Kathleen is a really nice name, it has a ring to it.

Both Anne and Kathleen are after Savannah grandmothers, nice touch IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom