The Princess of Asturias First Holy Communion: May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still odd that everybody is actually dressed for a first Communion except the child making it. I understand the reasons behind it -it's not to be a fashion show, but look at how Leonor's mother and sister are dressed!

Still odd that everybody is actually dressed for a first Communion except the child making it. I understand the reasons behind it -it's not to be a fashion show, but look at how Leonor's mother and sister are dressed!

Totally my point! If I were an onlooker who doesn not who is the child that will receive the Communion I would totally say it is Sofia!

But the whole family seem veyr happy and that is what matters after all... I hope Leonor will enjoy this special day!:flowers:

Totally my point! If I were an onlooker who doesn not who is the child that will receive the Communion I would totally say it is Sofia!

But the whole family seem veyr happy and that is what matters after all... I hope Leonor will enjoy this special day!:flowers:

It's not the family's fault - they are following the rules. But the whole thing is ridiculous. I've seen this family get together for Easter Mass. How does one dress casually for Easter Mass and dress to the nine's for a First Communion????

I made my own First Communion, admittedly in the year 1417 AD or thereabouts, before we were so "englightened" :p, but, much as I recall the dress, the gloves, the shoes, the fuss over my hair - what I most recall WAS the solemnity, the butterflies in my stomach at the thought, the first time I received the host. That I recall clearly, as if it were yesterday. I don't recall what it was like to wear the dress and all the rest of it that I see in the photos.

It's not the family's fault - they are following the rules. But the whole thing is ridiculous. I've seen this family get together for Easter Mass. How does one dress casually for Easter Mass and dress to the nine's for a First Communion????

I made my own First Communion, admittedly in the year 1417 AD or thereabouts, before we were so "englightened" :p, but, much as I recall the dress, the gloves, the shoes, the fuss over my hair - what I most recall WAS the solemnity, the butterflies in my stomach at the thought, the first time I received the host. That I recall clearly, as if it were yesterday. I don't recall what it was like to wear the dress and all the rest of it that I see in the photos.

Maybe it is a cultural thing but to me wearing a uniform for the Communion i a very belwidering concept... I wouldn't expect Leonor to be dressed to the nines but the tradition of a simple white dress or a tunic would be logic... Or at least Sofia should have been dressed with her uniform too... Don't know, but that lovely white dress Sofia is sporting makes me associate it with Holy Communion...:flowers:

Most people in Spain wear everyday clothes to mass, no matter if it's Easter, and will dress up for baptisms, first communions and weddings. The RF is even a bit dressed up for a normal Easter mass, people wear jeans etc...

Most people in Spain wear everyday clothes to mass, no matter if it's Easter, and will dress up for baptisms, first communions and weddings. The RF is even a bit dressed up for a normal Easter mass, people wear jeans etc...

Same as in the US... BUT, if the school uniform for a first communion is to mark the solemnity of the occasion, meaning you are such a devout Catholic, theoretically, wouldn't you dress up for Easter Mass more so than a first communion where the child is dressed drably?

Also, why would you dress like you are going to a coronation at your daughter's dress-down First Communion and show up in trousers for Easter?

None of this makes any sense to me. And believe me, I am president of the Letizia fan club.

It is nice to see the whole family, everyone looked very happy. I think I have never seen Leonor smile so much. Letizia and younger Sofia looked lovely in their outfits. I'm not catholic, so I think that of course you dress "better" to your daughters first communion than to an Easter mass.
I find it a great solution that the communion is made in school uniforms. Everyone looks nice and the same and there is no competition who has the most beautiful/expensive dress.

The difference is: Easter Mass, Nativity Mass, etc. are every year. Year in, year out. The First Communion is a one-in-a-lifetime affair and marks that someone is a full 'member' of the Catholic Church. Plenty of reasons to dress up for a First Communion.

In France the children tend to wear white tunics.

Same as in the US... BUT, if the school uniform for a first communion is to mark the solemnity of the occasion, meaning you are such a devout Catholic, theoretically, wouldn't you dress up for Easter Mass more so than a first communion where the child is dressed drably?

Also, why would you dress like you are going to a coronation at your daughter's dress-down First Communion and show up in trousers for Easter?

None of this makes any sense to me. And believe me, I am president of the Letizia fan club.

I don't really see the issue, to me your post is what doesn't make sense ;). The school decides that every child will be in uniform so nobody stands out, it has nothing to do with each family's devotion. Furthermore, a first communion is a special day for the child and the family that only takes place once in their lifetime.

It was nice to see the Queen's family. I think that Leonor and Sofia are close to both sets of grandparents and that is very sweet. Everyone looked lovely and seemed to be enjoying the day.

It's good to see that both girls are at ease in front of the cameraa bec they'll be photographed heavily

It's nice to see the whole family in such a happy gatering.

Leonor looks happier than ever. This brings back the memories from my very own First Communion when I thought it was the most wonderful day in my life and I felt so important and grown up ;)

She was really sweet answering the press with her big smile when they asked King Felipe about the ceremony: "I was very nervous!" :wub: She has told as well they would celebrate it later "at home".

Last edited:
Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofia are lovely girls. It is unfortunate none of the paternal aunts were in attendance. It seems to me that Queen Letizia's family is more important to King Felipe than his own sisters. King Juan Carlos' attendance is not surprising.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to see the whole family in such a happy gatering.

Leonor looks happier as ever. This brings back the memories from my very own First Communion when I thought it was the most wonderful day in my life and I felt so important and grown up ;)

She was really sweet answering the press with her big smile when they asked King Felipe about the ceremony: "I was very nervous!" :wub: She has told as well they would celebrate it later "at home".
I felt the same way remembering my own and my children's First Communions. Leonor's beaming smile tells me that she was happy to achieve this milestone in her life. Congratulations to Leonor and her classmates!

Happy to see that all of Leonors' grandparents were present today to celebrate this sacrament with her parents and sister.

What a great and memorable day for them-in a few years she will be the most stunning of the European royal princesses (not that she isn't gorgeous now, of course!):flowers:

Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofia are lovely girls. It is unfortunate none of the paternal aunts were in attendance. It seems to me that Queen Letizia's family is more important to King Felipe than his own sisters. King Juan Carlos' attendance is not surprising.

The school only allowed six persons per child, the royal family was already exceeding it:

1 Don Felipe de Borbón y Grecia
2 Doña Letizia Ortiz y Rocasolano
3 Doña Sofía de Borbón y Ortiz

4 Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón
5 Doña Sofía de Grecia y Dinamarca

6 Sr Jesús Ortiz y Álvarez (grandfather)
7 Sra Ana Togores y Guisasola (step-grandmother)
8 Sra Paloma Rocasolano y Rodríguez (grandmother)
9 Sra Menchú Álvarez y Del Valle (great-grandmother)

I don't think the Ortiz family is "more important" than the other. Note that none of aunts/uncles/cousins/cousines, not from paternal and not from maternal side, were attending. Were Don Juan or Doña Mercedes (the royal great-grandparents) still alive, they would have attended as well. We can be sure about that.

:flowers:

:previous:
Is the step-grandmother more important than Infanta Elena? I guess it is a European thing.

The school only allowed six persons per child, the royal family was already exceeding it:

1 Don Felipe de Borbón y Grecia
2 Doña Letizia Ortiz y Rocasolano
3 Doña Sofía de Borbón y Ortiz

4 Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón
5 Doña Sofía de Grecia y Dinamarca

6 Sr Jesús Ortiz y Álvarez (grandfather)
7 Sra Ana Togores y Guisasola (step-grandmother)
8 Sra Paloma Rocasolano y Rodríguez (grandmother)
9 Sra Menchú Álvarez y Del Valle (great-grandmother)

I don't think the Ortiz family is "more important" than the other. Note that none of aunts/uncles/cousins/cousines, not from paternal and not from maternal side, were attending. Were Don Juan or Doña Mercedes (the royal great-grandparents) still alive, they would have attended as well. We can be sure about that.

:flowers:

Apparently there was to be a family celebration at some point so this will give those who were unable to attend a chance to congratulate Leonor. From the photos it appears to be a small church so I can understand why the guests were limited.

:previous:
Is the step-grandmother more important than Infanta Elena? I guess it is a European thing.

Siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, cousines, nephews and nieces are considered a "sideline" of families. That is logical: in direct line one descends from the parents, the grandparents, etc. Not from the sister, from the cousin, from the aunt, etc.

Most likely for the two little Infantas Ana is much an abuela (grandmother) as Doña Sofía and Paloma. They have always known Ana from the moment they were born.

Letizia's sister Telma wasn't around as well.

Leonor looked super proud & happy, she is a very pretty and confident girl.

I really don't like the shoes and purse, but other then that, I love the outfit and look of Queen Letizia. They all looked great and happy. :flowers:

Last edited:
Good point GracieGiraffe!;)

Wasn't Leonor's school dictating the only dress code of the day for all receiving their First Holy Communion? I thought I read that no one could be different. I saw in a few pictures other classmates dressed exactly the same [both male and female]. I guess they didn't want anyone to outshine the other. Many RC churches here have adopted that same idea but the boys still wear white short pant suits [all exactly the same ] while the girls also completely in white and all exactly the same down to shoes and socks. All carry same white bibles and rosary. The parish does the ordering for each child and that is that. Started quite a few years ago.

Really? All over the news about the shoes? Oh my god :ohmy:

:previous: I have to admit I did wonder how the "old" Princess of Asturias would act when there was a new one. I thought she might be a bit of a diva, and The Queen of Spain wearing transparent plastic shoes to such an important milestone in her daughter's life, more importantly, in The Princess of Asturias's life, Infanta Leonor's First Communion, just answered my question.

This was the first major "event" and a significant milestone in the new Princess of Asturias life and her mother hit the headlines for wearing an outré pair of plastic shoes just screams "Diva". Tacky!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom