The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Balqis's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 319
Letizia - Weight Issue

For some reason this following recent photo of Letizia has made me a bit concerned for her. She looks very anorexic here. What do other people think? I do not want to add to the rumour mill, but she looks frighteningly thin. Is she taking things a bit far? This is a photo mind you and you are supposed to look chubbier in photos than in real life. If I were her friend or close family member I would be very concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51152566.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	38645  
__________________

__________________
  #2  
Old 08-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,245
I think the angle on this picture is quite bad and Letizia's arms look 'extra' thin because of the perspective of the camera, but I don't think she is anorexic. I think she is someone who is quite naturally thin and slender. Both her sisters seem to have a similar body shape in that they are long and lean. That is not to say that I don't think she could stand to gain a couple of pounds, but I most certainly don't think she is anorexic.

A very close friend is a "recovering" anorexic and for the nearly 10 years that her anorexia was at its 'peak' a dramatic weight loss or lack of weight gain is not the only physical characteristic of anorexia. Other physical traits include sallowness to the skin, even green-coloured skin, a rougher texture to your hair, brittle nails, easily broken bones, lack of energy or severe drop in energy, protuding cheekbones, hip bones, etc. Which is not to mention the numerous personality traits that affect an individual living and coping with anorexia.

Of course factoring in that likely many of these photos have been air brushed and worked on, we cannot judge many of these characteristics (sallow, green skin, bad texture to the hair, brittle fingernails, etc.), but Letizia is clearly lacking in some of the other visible qualities such as a lack of energy -- consider how extensively she has travelled in the pasts few months. Someone with anorexia could not possibly maintain that sort of schedule or stamina without passing out or having some sort of episodes. And I think that if Letizia had fainted during her recent trip to the Dominican, in Athens or during one of the regattas with her in-laws we would've undoubtedly heard about it.

I think that the likely situation is that Letizia is naturally thin but usually has some more pounds on her frame, but with the constant travelling and activity the past 5-6 months, from her wedding to the travelling and royal duties after it, Letizia likely did not get a chance to eat regularly or ate on the run and the constant motion of course makes it hard to maintain weight.
__________________

__________________
  #3  
Old 08-31-2004, 06:49 PM
Balqis's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 319
There are varying degrees to eating disorders, Alexandria. The characteristics you described above are the extreme.

It's not unheard of for princesses to have eating disorders. Look at Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Diana. In the case of Princess Diana, when her eating disorder was at its extreme in late 1982, she looked exactly how Letizia does now. People were mentioning anorexia as the possible cause. It was described as totally ridiculous for Diana to have it by palace officials (your explanation to my post actually mirrors what I would expect a royal rep to say just to hush it up) and lo and behold exactly 10 years later it comes out that Diana suffered from bulimia from the time of the engagement.

Looking at pictures of Letizia, particularly the one I uploaded I think there is legitimate cause for concern. Yes she is naturally thin and slender. She looked it at the time when her own engagement was announced. But her latest pictures show she has lost weight that is beyond natural. Eating on the run and too many activities is not exactly the best explanation. But that's just my opinion.
__________________
  #4  
Old 08-31-2004, 07:19 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balqis

It's not unheard of for princesses to have eating disorders. Look at Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Diana. In the case of Princess Diana, when her eating disorder was at its extreme in late 1982, she looked exactly how Letizia does now. People were mentioning anorexia as the possible cause. It was described as totally ridiculous for Diana to have it by palace officials (your explanation to my post actually mirrors what I would expect a royal rep to say just to hush it up) and lo and behold exactly 10 years later it comes out that Diana suffered from bulimia from the time of the engagement.

Looking at pictures of Letizia, particularly the one I uploaded I think there is legitimate cause for concern. Yes she is naturally thin and slender. She looked it at the time when her own engagement was announced. But her latest pictures show she has lost weight that is beyond natural. Eating on the run and too many activities is not exactly the best explanation. But that's just my opinion.
Nobody here is denying that Crown Princesses and Princesses don't have eating disorders and Victoria of Sweden and Diana of Great Britain are unfortunately two recent examples of royals who have suffered such illnesses.

But there are a lot of other factors that might explain why Letizia is not anorexic, and as you say in your original post, it is just your opinon that she may be anorexic.

I have seen lots of pictures where Letizia does not look ill or anorexic at all. She didn't look anorexic at the games in Athens nor did she look like she was starving herself or purging all her meals during the visit to Rome.

One bad picture does an anorexic or bulemic make ...
__________________
  #5  
Old 08-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Balqis's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
... there are a lot of other factors that might explain why Letizia is not anorexic,
I agree that the weight loss could be due to other possible reasons. But discussing an eating disorder as one possible reason is quite legitimate, I think. My point with mentioning Victoria and Diana was to show that it can happen, it can be hushed up (as in the case of Diana) AND that a sufferer of an eating disorder doesn't necessarily have to show the extreme physical characteristics as Alexandria pointed out with the case of her friend. As I said there are varying degrees of the disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
and as you say in your original post, it is just your opinon that she may be anorexic.
I said she looks very anorexic, meaning she looks very unhealthy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
I have seen lots of pictures where Letizia does not look ill or anorexic at all. She didn't look anorexic at the games in Athens nor did she look like she was starving herself or purging all her meals during the visit to Rome.
One bad picture does an anorexic or bulemic make ...
Well, Genevieve if I went through more pics of Letizia I think I would find others where her weight loss looks alarming. The pic I posted above was in my eyes the extreme of them all.

At the end of the day, I can't prove that she is suffering from an eating disorder nor can you prove that she doesn't. My original post was to relate my concern that she looks frighteningly thin and could possibly suffer from an eating disorder. I still stand by that. Eating disorders are incredibly prevalent these days and I am not picking on Letizia when I say she may have it. I am only expressing concern.
__________________
  #6  
Old 08-31-2004, 11:28 PM
nouwrein's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 460
Diana and Victoria of Sweden were 'chubby' in their teens, their bulimia and anorexia were so obvious because of that drastic weight change. In Letizia's case, I have never seen a picture of her as "chubby" or fat even as a child or in her teens, so I'll say that she is just naturally thin and because of her travelling now, she became even thinner or hasn't put on additional weight. On the other hand, I could say that Mary Donaldson is obviously dieting because she is also "chubby" as a tennager and pre-dating Fred, and look how slim she is now.
__________________
  #7  
Old 09-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Cissan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 249
I'm pretty sure that not only chubby people can get anorectic.

And yes, Mary has lost weight as well, she has probably lost more weight than Letizia. But I don't think that she has those sick (I mean this as a medical term, not that they're ugly) arms that Letizia does.
__________________
  #8  
Old 09-01-2004, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7
Just look at her mother, her sister, they are all very thin, she may have just inherited this kind of skiny genes, plus the stress being a new CP. Let's not try to blow the thing out proportion.
__________________
  #9  
Old 09-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Cissan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 249
I agree with you. I'm just saying she can look a bit sick in some photos.
__________________
  #10  
Old 09-02-2004, 05:49 AM
Balqis's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 319
I really didn't want this to be Letizia versus Mary discussion, but if others have made comparisons I don't see why not. I agree that Mary has lost weight, but she actually looks great - very healthy and happy. I have no concerns for this lady. She has really astounded me how she has been able to cope. She seems to have a lot of inner strength and takes a lot of things in her stride. She seems to be a very level-headed, caring and fun person. To go to a foreign country, learn a new language and to cope under the microscope like that is very commendable. I haven't seen or read an interview with Letizia and actually I am very suprised that the royal couple didn't give an interview before the wedding. I feel Letizia started with a lot of good points in her corner. She came on the scene suddenly but made a big impact. She seemed very much in charge, very professional etc. Lately I see a lady who's looking incredibly tired, unhealthy in how much weight she has lost and not doing as much as I hoped she would. Yes, it is still early to tell and sorry if my viewpoint does not match the viewpoints of the members here. Mary has done a solo engagement and another one has been announced imminently. She has gone on an extended tour to Greenland, toured parts of Denamrk etc. Also she has given an interview that has endeared her to many many people. Again I find it suprising that Letizia, given her journalistic background (the fact she's Spanish and speaks the language) has not been able to speak out to get herself across. Would too many questions about the speed of the romance with Felipe be uncomfortable? I am just thinking out loud here, I just don't know. Sorry about the long rant too.

Again I am just expressing my own opinion and concern. The feeling I get is that there is something wrong. The huge weight loss is a big indicator in my eyes.
__________________
  #11  
Old 09-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7
There could be another explanation as well. (Let me make it clear that just because I'm saying this happened to me DOES NOT automatically mean it's happening to CP Letizia - this is just my theory. I have no factual basis to say this IS in fact what's going on w/ her.)

For a good part of my life I had a lot of issues to cope with - physical, emotional, etc., and I wasn't really in a family situation where I could deal with them appropriately. The main result was that my metabolism was so high that no matter how much I ate, I could not gain weight. (I am 5'7" and at my lightest weighed 105 pounds.) People would constantly ask me if I was anorexic, but as I spent most of my spare time at home both of my parents knew for a fact that answer was no. In the last few years, I've gotten a lot off my mind/body, accepted a lot of things I used to stress out over, and my metabolism as a result slowed down dramatically. Now I'm a more normal-looking weight.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Beth
__________________
  #12  
Old 09-02-2004, 11:02 AM
lucys's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 997
First I just have to say that I really dislike this comparison thing, but I will say this: Letizia has not given an interview because the Spanish Royals as a rule do not give interviews. Period. The Danes have a different style--a lot of what Mary told in her interview would have been considered perhaps too much information to share in Spain. Different countries, different styles.

She has not done "solos" because the Royal House is following the same pattern they did with Sofia when she first married and came to Spain--no "solos" for I think it was one year. Different countries, different styles.

That said, to say that Letizia has not done as well as Mary because Mary has gone to a horse show by herself is silly beyond words. Mary is doing well and so is Letizia. Letizia has hosted with her husband receptions in 3 countries so far, in which attendance included everything from politicians to world renowned writers like Garcia Marquez, she has met with/dined with officially 6 heads of state and 2 outgoing heads of state and countless others at the inaugurations, she has represented her country at a state funeral, as well as a slew of other activities. Excuse me if I find that as impressive as going to a horeshow and a fashionshow.

Comparisons are bad because it all depends on the facts you select. Mary and Letizia are both doing well--who you prefer is a matter of what you prefer. To date, both countries seem pleased.
__________________
  #13  
Old 09-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Balqis's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucys
Comparisons are bad because it all depends on the facts you select.
Precisely, and you have done exactly that ie. selected examples that prove only your point about Letizia. All that you have described her as doing is wonderful, but it has been her husband or the whole family that has been there by her side bearing the brunt of what needs to done. Mary's horse show and fashion show solo engagements are first steps. They may not sound like the most stretching of engagements but at least she is out there. She has done similar things to Letizia with her husband or family around. But that's really irrelevant. This thread is about weight issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucys
Mary and Letizia are both doing well--who you prefer is a matter of what you prefer. To date, both countries seem pleased
On the contrary, not every Spanish citizen or message board out there thinks that Letizia is doing so well. And in Letizia's case this is due to the fact that there are still lingering questions about her. Some have been very alarmed at how quick Letizia's and Felipe's courtship was for example. A simple interview before the wedding would have dispelled a lot of rumours and given Letizia a much more of a fresh start. And please the SRF do give interviews, maybe not all the time but they do during important occassions. For example Felipe has given interviews at his milestone birthdays. I still don't see why the royal couple didn't give one prior to their wedding.
__________________
  #14  
Old 09-02-2004, 06:25 PM
lucys's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 997
Balqis--I don't come to this message board to have long circular arguments, nor do I use message boards to judge what is happening in any given country. You have your opinion and I have mine--they differ. End of story. Have a pleasant evening (or whatever time of day it is in your part of the world.)

P.S. I'm Spanish, so I'm not just guessing on this one.
__________________
  #15  
Old 09-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissan
I'm pretty sure that not only chubby people can get anorectic.

And yes, Mary has lost weight as well, she has probably lost more weight than Letizia. But I don't think that she has those sick (I mean this as a medical term, not that they're ugly) arms that Letizia does.
I don't think anyone is implying that only chubby girls can become anorexic. But as I understand the original comment, signs of anorexia are merely more evident when you weigh a bit more and suddenly look very thin and bony. In Victoria and Diana's case, while I would never by a long shot say that either was overweight, they both still carried some baby fat on them, particularly in their faces, so that when they suffered their respective eating disorders it was all the more evident and prominent. Looking back at pictures of Victoria she always had a rounder, chubbier face and thicker upper arms, and when she was battling her anorexia she was all skin and bones and sunken eyes and shallow cheeks.

But with Letizia she has always been quite thin, so it is not as clear if she has merely lost a few pounds because of the non-stop action of late or if she is seriously sick (which I don't believe).

And as bethan16 says, some people just find it difficult to put on and maintain weight, period. I had a friend who daily would eat 6 sandwiches in one sitting followed by pop and ice cream and cookies and she would constantly be told by her doctors that she was underweight. No matter how much she ate and how many calories the food she was consuming contained and no matter how inactive she was, even sitting on the couch munching on bags of potatoe chips her body would be burning away those calories.
__________________
  #16  
Old 09-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balqis
Precisely, and you have done exactly that ie. selected examples that prove only your point about Letizia. All that you have described her as doing is wonderful, but it has been her husband or the whole family that has been there by her side bearing the brunt of what needs to done. Mary's horse show and fashion show solo engagements are first steps. They may not sound like the most stretching of engagements but at least she is out there. She has done similar things to Letizia with her husband or family around. But that's really irrelevant. This thread is about weight issues.

On the contrary, not every Spanish citizen or message board out there thinks that Letizia is doing so well. And in Letizia's case this is due to the fact that there are still lingering questions about her. Some have been very alarmed at how quick Letizia's and Felipe's courtship was for example. A simple interview before the wedding would have dispelled a lot of rumours and given Letizia a much more of a fresh start. And please the SRF do give interviews, maybe not all the time but they do during important occassions. For example Felipe has given interviews at his milestone birthdays. I still don't see why the royal couple didn't give one prior to their wedding.
I don't understand why people can't accept and understand and grasp that some royal families do things differently and that what is good in Denmark isn't necessarily good or workable in Spain, just as what works in Spain doesn't work for Belgium.

Most royal families rarely if ever conduct interviews. When do we ever hear Queen Elizabeth sitting down with the BBC? Never. So just because Margrethe gives interviews in Denmark doesn't mean that Elizabeth is required to, or that Juan Carlos and Carl Gustav are required to, too.

I actually have a tremendous amount of respect for the fact that Felipe and Letizia didn't sit down and gab away about their courtship and other personal things. If neither of them are questioning the length of their courtship who is the press and everyone else to do so? Is there a standard amount of time that people, royals or not, must be together before they are allowed to become engaged and ultimately married? Is 2 years enough? 3 years? Maybe 5 years? Or be forced to wait 9 years like the Norwegian King and Queen? And what lingering issues would Letizia have to dispel in an interview? If its about her divorce, that's no body's business.

I think her wedding day was a pretty fresh start. An interview prior to her wedding day could not have given her more of a fresh start. And who is saying she or Felipe wanted a fresh start? A fresh start from what?

Everybody in Spain may not like Letizia, and that is par for the course. Everybody in Spain probably also does not like Juan Carlos, Sofia, Felipe, etc. Just as everybody in Denmark does not like Mary or Frederik or Joachim or Alexandra. No public figure has ever had 100% approval ratings and support, so why should Letizia be held to different expectations? Why should every single man, woman, child, cat, dog and hamster be madly in love with Letizia? And just as people don't like her doesn't mean that she isn't doing a good job. Its possible to not like somebody but approve of the decisions/choices they make, their hard work, dedication or commitment to an idea or project, etc. Just like you can like a particular royal or consider one of them your favourite but not always like what he or she wears, does or says. I like Queen Sofia but don't always care for some of the clothes she wears or things I hear about her, but that doesn't mean I like her any less on the whole. I just don't like one particular aspect about her.
__________________
  #17  
Old 09-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Ennyllorac's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,980
I think she is just naturally slim.

Honestly, we are not equipped to make a diagnosis, let's try to stay away from labeling her as anorexic. Anorexia is a disease and we shouldn't use that term to "critique" someone.
__________________
  #18  
Old 09-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Mandy's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 6,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennyllorac
I think she is just naturally slim.

Honestly, we are not equipped to make a diagnosis, let's try to stay away from labeling her as anorexic. Anorexia is a disease and we shouldn't use that term to "critique" someone.
I agree with you ennyllorac. Medical experts base their diagnosis on concrete evidence not cursory observations. And, relying on my own medical backgound, I wouldn't dare suggest such a diagnosis by merely looking at pictures.
  #19  
Old 09-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 705
Thank you ennyllorac and Mandy for some sanity in this thread. I just don't understand why some people seem hell bent on accusing Letizia of having such a horrible disease and looking so hard into things its as if they wish it upon her.
__________________
  #20  
Old 09-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Balqis's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
Thank you ennyllorac and Mandy for some sanity in this thread. I just don't understand why some people seem hell bent on accusing Letizia of having such a horrible disease and looking so hard into things its as if they wish it upon her.
That's way below the belt, Genevieve. Most of us are expressing genuine concern. But if that's the way you want to see it, that's fine.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
princess letizia, princess letizias weight


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Letizia's Maternity Fashion: May 2005 - bigheadshirmp Royal House of Fashion 253 05-31-2009 06:02 PM
Princess Letizia's Purses and Shoes, to August 2005 micas Archives 204 08-31-2005 09:34 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander picture of the month picture thread pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess maxima princess of orange queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]