Worst Royal Jewels 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas Parkman said:
Dear Members,

Oh, horrors, my remark about Queen Wilhelmina being Brunhilda has been misunderstood. It was not intened to be derogatory or to say that she turned into some kind of harridan or battlean or whatnot. Quite the contrary. She was an extremely intelligent and strong willed woman who had little use for politicians, always a sign of great intelligence. She was also possibly the richest woman in the world and a very shrewd financial investor who over the years made money, lots of it. Why, how very Dutch of her!!! And in her day a very attractive woman, I should say.

She stood up to the Nazis, hence my remark about Brunhilda. She called Hitler ther archangel of evil. She was a constant inspiration to the Dutch people and the Dutch resistance during the Second World War. In fact she did not want to leave the country when the nazis did another of their stabs in the back on Holland but wanted to rally here army in a corner of the country and stand and fight. It was too dangerous and she had to be taken to England. One very brave woman and every inch a queen. Brunhilda herself is a great worrior in Germanic mythology but that should not be confused with some kind of monster or ugly fiend either. She too was brave. She led the heros who had died in battle to Valhalla.
"

Thanks for your post Thomas! I agree with your assesments, as her cousin Alice of Athlone usually concluded (after a list of petty remarks)...'but WHAT a woman!' She never had to much illusions about the Nazi's, giving copies of Hitlers book to 'slow-understanding' dutch politicians to make her point.

Anyway, here a picture and a painting of Wilhelmina wearing her ugliest jewels, the Amsterdam parure (on the painting they toned it down, so it looks better then in real life). The tiara is broken up now and they made several pieces of jewelry of it for Beatrix, Irene, Margriet and Christina. Without the higher part the tiara could have been acceptable IMO.

1101350812_400wil.jpg

180px-Wilhelmina1898.jpg

Last edited:
Australian said:
Check out this tiara- it is the Wurttemberg Ruby Star Tiara
http://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/gallery/wurttemberg.html

ugly!

I think this looks like something worn by a soprano playing the Queen of the Night in Mozart's "The Magic Flute". But I do think that if you take the big stars away, the main part of the tiara is very attractive. I'd just get rid of the big stars.

Dear Members,

I agree with Marengo about the tiara, it is fine except for the fact that there is just too much of it. But in her day Wilhelmina was lovely indeed. As for going to the other thread , my dear Warren, I have, and when I need to bring out the acidulous aspect of my nature I come here and fire away. I always feel better and some of the horrors are not all that bad, but with others one just shudders. Kind of like going to horror flicks. So do not be too distressed when I start raving and foaming in the mouth. After all every thread worth its salt has at least one certifiable honest to God lunatic who simply cannot and will not stop talking. It is called logorrhea, my favorite word in the English language. Naturally it is of Greek derivation. Cheers.

Ms Griffin said:
We should also not forget that the queen and Mary have different hair colours. With Margrethe's almost white hair I agree this yellow tiara doesn't look good at all. More like :eek: But with Mary's dark hair the yellow poppies might actually look nice. Maybe someone with good photoshop skills can give it a try? ;) :p :D
That's true. Almost all tiaras look good in Silvia's hair which is a good reason why she keeps it dark.

The Alexandrine diamond drop tiara, that often looks so odd on Alexandra's head, maybe that particular tiara works better with a lighter hair colour ?? In Margrethe's (as we've seen), or even princess Lilian's hair (just speculating).

It is very high and prominent with it's grey / diamond impression and it's like a clash in Alexandra's black hair.

In my opinion, I have to say that these jewels do not look great at all.
The only pieces that concern me are:

1. This sapphire and diamond necklace by Maria Teresa of Luxemburg seen here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=241567&d=1146458298
Now, it's not that I don't like the piece at all, it's how she's wearing it. I don't think it looks good as a necklace, it would look better in it's original state which is a tiara. It's very mis-matchy to me too, since she has a pearl and diamond tiara, I would figure she would have worn diamond and pearl earrings and a pearl and diamond choker then maybe throw in a brooch.;)

Like this: http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc189&image=73804_NUNNS_DINNER_SONJA_006_4.jpg

2. This gold and diamond flower necklace and earrings. This just looks tacky to me, something you'd find at a yard sale. With the jewels at her disposal, she could have done way better.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=241566&d=1146458237

Well, good people, as I keep saying, every time I open my big mouth and say this is the end, they cannot find anymore. Guess what? Somebody comes up with yet another batch of horrors. In addition in the examples cited above the clothes were as atrocious as the jewels. Poor Sonja, You would have thought she knew better. That hideous red thing. Then we have poor Maria Theresa. The less said the better. They should just take all those jewels, precious metal and cloth and rip the things apart or melt them down and START OVER. Of course if you are in front of a camera all the time and you must wear an outfit you have never worn before and will never wear again-because if you do everybody will comment, oh she has worn that at x, y and z-I guess you cannot hit 100 % success all the time. Maybe we expect too much. It has got to be a hard life. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

The Maxima thing cited above is an absolute hoot. The poor thing should have been warned about the dangers of royalty being turned into a laughingstock.

HRHAmy said:

1. This sapphire and diamond necklace by Maria Teresa of Luxemburg seen here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=241567&d=1146458298
Now, it's not that I don't like the piece at all, it's how she's wearing it. I don't think it looks good as a necklace, it would look better in it's original state which is a tiara. It's very mis-matchy to me too, since she has a pearl and diamond tiara, I would figure she would have worn diamond and pearl earrings and a pearl and diamond choker then maybe throw in a brooch.;)

Like this: http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc189&image=73804_NUNNS_DINNER_SONJA_006_4.jpg

2. This gold and diamond flower necklace and earrings. This just looks tacky to me, something you'd find at a yard sale. With the jewels at her disposal, she could have done way better.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=241566&d=1146458237

I agree with you in 1st time. She souldnt wear that necklace.
But in 2nd time- I dont know, but I like that earrings and necklace.
She tries to wear unnusual- modern type of jewelry. And for 90% I like that jewels.

HRHAmy said:
Can't stand this tiara! I love the necklace and earrings, but the tiara...ewww why Maxima? Why put us through it?:rolleyes:

You know what the problem is with that tiara? It looks like plastic! :(

Plastic???Uhhh, i love have a plastic like this...resolve a lot of problemes..eh eh eh..! i confess that i love this tiara.

Maxie said:
You know what the problem is with that tiara? It looks like plastic! :(

Yes, or it looks like a creature from outter space should be wearing it. Beam me up scotty!:D

Bahahahahaha! Maxie, I was just thinking the very same thing! It looks like it's acrylic or something. I love aquamarines but I think they need to be faceted and MORE DIAMONDS please:D

HRHAmy said:

Now, it's not that I don't like the piece at all, it's how she's wearing it. I don't think it looks good as a necklace, it would look better in it's original state which is a tiara.

I disagree - if she wore the necklace as a tiara, it would end up on this site all over again! :rolleyes: I honestly don't think I've seen anything more ghastly! I think you can still arrange poppies and buttons to look agreeable, but not belt buckles!

fraxales said:
I disagree - if she wore the necklace as a tiara, it would end up on this site all over again! :rolleyes: I honestly don't think I've seen anything more ghastly! I think you can still arrange poppies and buttons to look agreeable, but not belt buckles!

Maybe she should lend it to one of the Moroccan princesses and they can use it as one of those belts they wear for formal functions. It would probably look better on them than her.:)

if i could redesign that necklace i would take the big D's and move them closer to the stone, mirror them halfway on top of each other and tilted maybe 30 degrees. it would look somewhat like a monogram. it would offer a nice base to the stone.

it's the only rescue i can think of.

Daneborn said:
if i could redesign that necklace i would take the big D's and move them closer to the stone, mirror them halfway on top of each other and tilted maybe 30 degrees. it would look somewhat like a monogram. it would offer a nice base to the stone.

it's the only rescue i can think of.
There are pieces that are beyond redemption (this is one of them) and this is something I imagine in Snoop Dogg not in a Royal so of course this is one of the worst things I've ever seen:eek::cool:
not to mention that the necklace and the tiara aren't matched in the least! this is truly a jewlery disaster, please tell me it was the 80's, no one would wear something like this in these days (I think:rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Maria-Teresa's necklace is quite ugly indeed! :(

mims111 said:
Here is that necklace like tiara.
picture from: [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.gouvernement.lu
[/SIZE][/FONT]

both jewels can be worn as necklace and as tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Good people, here we go again. I would suggest that what is needed with the above horror, which is beyond redemption-whether it is on the head or around the neck or in the style of some distant aboriginal tribe and used to bedeck other normally not so public parts of the anatomy-it is still a disaster-is to melt the thing down and start over!!!!! Such a nice sapphire too. May I suggest, as I have all too frequently, that the good MT needs to fire her jeweler make the jewels into a new and lovlier tiara.

They do this all the time. The Burmese ruby tiara of QEII is a perfect example. She just had them yank out the diamonds from the Nizim of Heyderabad tiara and got Garrard to take some 96 rubies given by the people of Burma and put them with the recycled diamonds and presto!! a new and splendid goodie with which to bedeck her most royal person.

So MT sould take the horror and redo it. May I suggest Queen Mary's honeycomb tiara as a starting point. Of course that originally had a large sapphire as its centerpiece but then then they went out and ruinged it and put a kunzinite-whatever that is- or an emerald, which does not work, in its place.

You may consult the Bible-ie Geoffrey Munn's Tiaras, a history of splendor-as I do not have the ability, access or pictures to poste for a maginificent picture of Queen Mary in all her fomidable majesty wearing the above cited jewel. If I were to try and post such a thing, being a total mechanical idiot, Warren would see the ghastly results and have a fit and I have caused him enough headaches already. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

mims111 said:
[/SIZE][/FONT]
I like this as a headpiece. (At least better than as a necklace.)
And it fits so well with the necklace, earrings and her shirt.

mims111 said:
[/SIZE][/FONT]

This looks very art deco-y, but I still think it would look better on a morrocan belt, that big sapphire would look great.

HRHAmy said:
This looks very art deco-y, but I still think it would look better on a morrocan belt, that big sapphire would look great.

...I agree! Somehow I see it on the catwalks of Paris, but not anywhere above the waist!!

Same goes for Gloria's necklace. Come to think of it, it looks very much like a high-class S&M contraption (like a doggy lead)...:cool:

Oh, and that brooch thingy she's wearing isn't the most elegant piece of jewellery either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom