William and the Commonwealth Realms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
..... And would William be expected to visit all of the countries/regions that are still a part of the Commonwealth when he reigns?
That would depend IF there is still a job for him after his grandmother and then father. Who can say with any certainty whether there will even be a commonwealth of nations in 20 - 60 years. :D

That would depend IF there is still a job for him after his grandmother and then father. Who can say with any certainty whether there will even be a commonwealth of nations in 20 - 60 years. :D
Since none of us have a crystal ball and can't see into the future we don't know with any certainty that there will be a commonwealth even 10 years from now. Charles could be out of a job too. But I prefer to think positively and since this is the William and Commonwealth Realms thread, hence my question.

Thank you wbenson for your helpful reply. It's amazing that the Queen has visited all of those places. Course it's taken her a long time so I understand what you mean by your response.
I also noticed they seem to have a Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting every couple of years. The last one was in 2007 so I'm guessing they're having another one this year. I wonder what they discuss at these meetings.

The list of 53 independent sovereign states - members of the Commonwealth of Nations can be found in this Wikipedia article.
The Commonwealth realms (16 Sovereign States within the Commonwealth of Nations that share the same Head of the State - currently Queen Elizabeth II)
It is a large Commonwealth I must say! I don't think there's any other alliance quite like it. As an Australian I have to admit I rather like the Queen as our figurehead even though she doesn't really do anything. I guess I'm more sentimental about it since I'm a monarchist and also because of our past links to Great Britain. Plus I still have family there. I agree that it won't affect us too much to sever the ties and we do want our independence but a part of me will miss having a Queen. I guess I want the best of both worlds. :D

Prince William did very well on his 2011 royal tour of Canada.
I like the fact that he and Catherine celebrated Canada Day with Canadians.
That shows the personal touch, the personal side of the Duke and Duchess.

Prince William did very well on his 2011 royal tour of Canada.
I like the fact that he and Catherine celebrated Canada Day with Canadians.
That shows the personal touch, the personal side of the Duke and Duchess.

I do hope the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall's next trip to Canada is for Canada Day soon.

I do hope the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall's next trip to Canada is for Canada Day soon.

Muriel, That is an excellent idea!
Then the Canadians will have the personal touch of Prince Charles and Camilla.

Muriel, That is an excellent idea!
Then the Canadians will have the personal touch of Prince Charles and Camilla.

Canada has had at least 2 visits from C&C recently, but I agree, a visit on Canada Day is probably due in the not too distant future.

Going back over the earlier posts in this thread, there were some posters who were speculating in 2008/2009 as to whether there would even be a Commonwealth in ten years. Well, we are now in the second half of 2015. There's only three years left for the Commonwealth to disintegrate!

Going back over the earlier posts in this thread, there were some posters who were speculating in 2008/2009 as to whether there would even be a Commonwealth in ten years. Well, we are now in the second half of 2015. There's only three years left for the Commonwealth to disintegrate!

I just re-read the thread and couldn't find a single post that suggested that the Commonwealth would end.

There was speculation that some countries might become republics - basically 'when the Queen dies'.

As someone who was heavily involved in the discussion I think you might have misunderstood the posts and concluded that the idea of Canada or Australia becoming a republic would mean the end of the Commonwealth. It is worth noting that most of the countries of the Commonwealth are in fact republics and some were never part of the British Empire. It is in fact a growing organization rather than a shrinking one.

The Queen started her reign as Queen of about 50 nations and now has 16 and that figure will probably be reduced after she dies, if not sooner, but the Commonwealth will probably continue for a century or more as there doesn't seem any will to end it - the opposite in fact.

Back
Top Bottom