Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have to say this sounds plausible with the contact in the local police appearing to confirm it and the royal spokesperson not denying it. Bit confused why it says the Queen is paying off the current occupant only to then say he isn't receiving any compensation. I suspect he Queen is more dignified that to have let all this talk go on and then oly later decide William and Kate should move in sooner. I imagine the fact I became public meant it was going to happen sooner rather than later.

Questions over timing of Prince William, Kate and Prince George’s move to Anmer Hall on the Queen’s estate at Sandringham in Norfolk:
Questions over timing of Prince William, Kate and Prince George

I am not surprised. i queried the timing with a royal pundit yesterday..He insisted that Anmer Hall was vacant, the planning works had been done and. It just needed redecorating.

Ive come to the conclusion that it is better to apply commonsense than believe so called pundits.

I Think that the Head of State should be based in the capital.
I think the idea of the Prime Minister traipsing out to Windsor ( return car journey of c. 3 hours) for the weekly meeting is wrong.

And before anyone says its only 30 miles away, London traffic pm is appalling.
my journey to work was 19 miles and it took 1hr and 40 minutes.

the concept once raised of "living over the shop" is still valid.

The commute is easily solved with a helicopter.

The commute is easily solved with a helicopter.

Practical solution however, expensive and problems with increased carbon footprint - taken seriously over here.

Head of State should be based in the Capital. JMO

The press is behaving as if all the money was spent solely on redecorating for William and Kate; wasn't a lot of it due to getting rid of asbestos, and basic maintenance?

Absolutely, much of this work would have been done in time whether Kate and William moved in oer not, especially, I imagine, the work on the roof. Unfortunatley once it was announced that they were moving in any work to do with the apartment was seen in the press' eyes as down to them.
The same thing happened when Beatrice moved into an apartment in St James', aparently refurbishment there cost something like £300,000 but that was all doing maitenance work to improve the building/make it safe etc rather than on £1,000 rolls of wallpaper as the media would probably have us think.

Incidently I read in one of the articles about the couple moving in Amner that a palace aid had said (how true it is that they'd actually said anything to a newspaper I don't know) that the Kensington Palace apartment was to be William and Kate's home for the next few decades. So I think the plan is for them to stay there at least until there own children are grown up and need a place of their own or until they take on the ''top job''.

What was the reason for Princess Margaret's old apartment being left empty for ten years? If a new resident had been found (rent paying or not) would the building need such extensive renovation now?

What was the reason for Princess Margaret's old apartment being left empty for ten years? If a new resident had been found (rent paying or not) would the building need such extensive renovation now?

Kensington Palace is run by Historic Royal Palaces

Historic Royal Palaces is an independent charity that looks after the Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, the Banqueting House, Kensington Palace and Kew Palace. - See more at: Historic Royal Palaces > Home > About us > Who we are

When Appt 1A became available is was handed over to the charity. I think at the time they thought to incorporate the space into either the planned public space or for their staff. In the end they used it for storage.

They were expected to renovate it but they didn't and it has now been handed back to the royal household who have to carry out the works.

The works would have needed to be done at some point because of updating electrics, wiring, water etc and that would always mean taking out the asbestos. You probably know this, but left undistrurbed asbestos is not dangerous but the problems arise when it gets cut, broken or damaged in some way.

All historic buildings cost money to maintain.

Just wondering if when William leaves the RAF, are they also permanently leaving their home in Anglesey? It would be a nice retreat for them if they keep it.

I was also wondering if they would keep it as a retreat? I think they are permanently leaving Anglesey.

They dont own it - it is rented. Why rent somewhere when they have anmer Hall and KP - eventually!

They dont own it - it is rented. Why rent somewhere when they have anmer Hall and KP - eventually!

Aah, but Charles rents Highgrove despite having Birkhall and Clarence House.

Just wondering if when William leaves the RAF, are they also permanently leaving their home in Anglesey? It would be a nice retreat for them if they keep it.

They were renting it, and they have other properties to retreat to, so it wouldn't make sense for them to keep it.

But it is his in effect because it is owned by the Duchy. He chose it initially.

William and Catherine could rent the place in Wales for as long as they like I suppose.. seems a waste to me when he could always stay in the Duchy's place in Wales.

First things first - they need a home of their own where they can properly establish the 3 of them as a family. LEts get KP sorted, then Anmer Hall - that is going to keep them busy.

If I am not mistaken, whilst there has been no official confirmation that William and Catherine will get Anmer, the popular view seems to be that they are getting Anmer soon. Allowing for renovations, I suspect a redecorated Anmer should be available to them within a year, which will serve as their retreat / country home. Their "principal" home in KP will be ready in the next few months. The rented home in Wales is in a very remote location, and time consuming to get to, so I agree, there is no need for them to continue with it.

Aah, but Charles rents Highgrove despite having Birkhall and Clarence House.

I am not sure of the point you are trying to make. Clarence House is C&C's principal London home, whilst Highrove is their main country home, which is used most weeks.

The Duchy of Cornwall owns Highgrove, so as the Duke, Charles gets to use it. I have no idea whether he pays the Duchy any rent, but if he does, it seems silly, as the income comes back to him from the Duchy!

Birkhall, in Aberdeenshire, is owned by the Queen, and is only used a few times a year.

If I am not mistaken, whilst there has been no official confirmation that William and Catherine will get Anmer, the popular view seems to be that they are getting Anmer soon. Allowing for renovations, I suspect a redecorated Anmer should be available to them within a year, which will serve as their retreat / country home. Their "principal" home in KP will be ready in the next few months. The rented home in Wales is in a very remote location, and time consuming to get to, so I agree, there is no need for them to continue with it.

I am not sure of the point you are trying to make. Clarence House is C&C's principal London home, whilst Highrove is their main country home, which is used most weeks.

The Duchy of Cornwall owns Highgrove, so as the Duke, Charles gets to use it. I have no idea whether he pays the Duchy any rent, but if he does, it seems silly, as the income comes back to him from the Duchy!

Birkhall, in Aberdeenshire, is owned by the Queen, and is only used a few times a year.

I was answering Dmans post. - check back and you'll see

I agree, I think the Cambridge's could stay at Llwynywermod. Whenever they go on official or private visits to Wales.

I agree, I think the Cambridge's could stay at Llwynywermod. Whenever they go on official or private visits to Wales.

Glad you got the name - escaped me entirely ;)

With regard to William and Catherine's rented home in Anglesey, I do hope they get the opportunity of taking Prince George there before they leave as it has meant alot to them being their first home together and it would be nice to take him there.

I also hope that when they leave Anglesey, we will be able to see what the place was like at last as i have always been intrigued!

I would imagine that as they're renting the cottage, they'd let it go. Perhaps in years to come they might consider buying a getaway place in Wales as they really seem to like it there.

I agree with Cepe - but I also think HMQEII and the royal property managers have always had long range thoughts about how all the parts move about. They knew that in 10 years or so the young royals would be setting up housekeeping, would need safe spaces and would benefit from some independence.

Had they done the reno 10 years ago and then used it for some temporary purpose, people would have been up in arms for the cost of the storage space or the low rent of 1A given its cost to renovate. But with a handsome young family in need of a home, the ghastly but necessary cost would be grudgingly borne. Never mind where the money comes from, people always believe it is taken directly from their own meager budgets!

Forgive me if this has been discussed but I am curious about the inhabitants and history of apt 1A-who had it before Margaret and further back?

We'll see... I think it will not be formally announced. But some vague mention of KP MAY be in the announcement about the DOC's career move... any moment now. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good job we didn't hold our breath last January on the imminent announcement!

Back
Top Bottom