Unfinished Portrait: Queen Victoria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikegunnill

City
Rochester
Country
United Kingdom
I am a new user seeking help please! I am sorry if I have posted this message in the wrong area.

I am writing about a painter Solomon Joseph Solomon 1860-1927 who was commissioned to paint the portrait of Queen Victoria. The painting was never finished and indeed became known as the unfinished portrait of Queen Victoria.

Queen Victoria’s died on the 22nd January 1901, on the 26th January The Sphere published a 63 page memorial special to Queen Victoria. Part of this, was a two page pull-out showing the “unfinished portrait,” as a relief halftone.

I have spoken to members of the present Solomon family and although they knew he was painting a member of the Royal family, they knew nothing more. They don’t know what happened to the painting.

I wondered if knowledgeable members here, know where the painting is now? As far as I am aware, the painting was copied for use in The Sphere, but has not been seen, since 1901.

Grateful for any suggestions or ideas where I could search.

Thank you

Mike

Attachments

• queenvictoria-unfinished05.jpg
    queenvictoria-unfinished05.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I am grateful. The National Portrait Gallery lists the image from the publication, The Sphere, but not the original painting which is strange. I have previously contacted them, but still away a reply.

Thank you for your reply.

Maybe an amazing story awaits - somewhere, some great-great-great-grandchild of Solomon J Solomon's got an old box stuffed with old papers shoved in their attic, and has no idea that the last ever portrait of Queen Victoria is in there, and possibly worth millions!

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom