The Staff and Court of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The court sent a press release on 20th March that in connection with the situation regarding the spread of the new coronavirus, The King had decided that public operations at the royal palaces should be closed temporarily.

Svensk Damtidning quotes Dagens Nyheter's article
Dagens Nyheter made an in-depth report on how the closing hit the court's operations. Tourism is an important source of income for them, and the Royal Palace alone can attract 900,000 visitors in a year.
Now the court can be forced into cuts.
- It is just like for everyone else that financially it is very difficult. This means that you have to review the business for a long time to come of course, says Margareta Thorgren.
- What we usually do in a regular season is that we hire summer staff, quite many. But since we made this decision to close and with the forecast that it probably will not open in a while, we don't have the employment of extra staff.
According to Dagens Nyheter, it is a total of 300 jobs that are not needed. Thorgren also doesn't rule out that there may be talk of further cuts.
- I cannot go into detail about what it is, but I, like all other organizations, refer to thinking about new things and simply trying to deal with the situation, she says.
Kungens beslut – nu är krisen total _ Svensk Dam

The Right Reverend Bishop and Chief Court Chaplain Dr. Johan Dalman, court organist Mary Ljungquist Hén and court trumpetist Olle Hermansen performed at the fourth Aftonsång recorded at the Royal Chapel and broadcasted this afternoon.
https://vimeo.com/424188310

The Right Reverend Bishop and Chief Court Chaplain Dr. Johan Dalman and the The Reverend, Court Chaplain, and Rector of the Royal Court Parish Michael Bjerkhagen at the Royal Chapel.
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8ad3b5cd291d6cc22b949ca292fbad9e&oe=5EF99044

Rector of the Royal Court Parish Michael Bjerkhagen, court organist Mary Ljungquist Hén and court trumpetist Olle Hermansen performed at the fifth Aftonsång broadcasted today.
https://vimeo.com/426597256

The Right Reverend Bishop and Chief Court Chaplain Dr. Johan Dalman, court organist Mary Ljungquist Hén and court trumpetist Olle Hermansen performed at the sixth and last Aftonsång recorded at the Royal Chapel and broadcasted this afternoon. Johan Dalman spoke about baptism.
https://vimeo.com/428851932

At Facebook of The Royal Palaces

The Royal Guard at the Royal Palace
Since Midsummer Day in 1523, The Royal Guard (Högvakten) has been at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.
Due to the new corona virus, the Swedish Armed Forces does not conduct changes of guard through Stockholm or any ceremonies at present.
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9fafb6357de477c1415203fc653c3f8e&oe=5F11F034
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=bc6bc69be9eaec3d3971be35b2af4735&oe=5F15AC76
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b817b04b217b34e7b346fdd29cbb8a16&oe=5F13DE99

The Royal Guard - Kungliga slotten

The Royal Guard is made up of those who guard the two royal Palaces The Royal Palace and Drottningholm Palace. The guard is an important part of the protection of the castle and Stockholm's military preparedness.
The Royal Guard in Stockholm's multi-hundred-year history is a popular tourist attraction that attracts hundreds of thousands of spectators each year. In this way, for many, the Royal Guard has become a symbol for Stockholm and the royal palaces.
Today, 50 to 60 women and men serve in the Royal Guard, 35 of whom are at the Royal Palace and 25 are at Drottningholm Palace.
Högvakten - Försvarsmakten

The dearest treasures of the Finnish Lassi Koivunen, 57, include a medal awarded to him by the King of Sweden. Koivunen has had a twenty-year career as a furniture conservator in the Swedish court.
- The most important task of those who work in the court is to help each in their own way his majesty in the performance of his duties. We were all like a big family in the court, Lassi Koivunen defines.
Born in Turku, Koivunen went to Stockholm to study as a furniture conservator in 1988. During his studies in the summer of 1990, he took office at the Royal Palace
After graduating, he moved to Finland and started as a furniture conservator at Turku Castle. However, already in 1992, Koivunen returned to Stockholm as the studio manager of furniture conservators at the Royal Palace.
Koivunen specializes in Swedish, 18th-century veneered furniture.
- With regard to my specialty, there could be no better place than the Swedish court to get to work with that kind of furniture. The court's collection is one of the finest in the world.
The 13 castles of the Swedish court are well-preserved and authentic. In the court's carefully preserved archives you can find invoices from 18th-century carpenters who made the furniture.
- It is impossible to get closer to that era. The archives are a real treasury.
In addition to the furniture, he also met the Swedish royal family at the court.
- I met several times His Majesty and the Queen and the Crown Princess and Prince. There are many great memories.
Crown Princess Victoria's education included knowledge of Royal Palace furniture.
- We did a tour at the Palace and I told about the furniture.
Koivunen has always found the encounters with the royals very pleasant.
- It is easy to talk to them, although of course there is etiquette in the court which is followed.
Victoria is always called the Crown Princess and the King His Majesty.
- I would say that you can sense from the king the authenticity and importance with which he performs his duties as a Head of State. The same attitude is also reflected in the Crown Princess and her husband Daniel, Koivunen mentions.
- They really do a lot of work for Sweden. It is sad that its importance is not always sufficiently taken into account when discussing the cost of the royal house.
During Koivunen's time at the court, several large celebrations took place in the court in addition to Nobel dinners and other annual events.
- There were, among other things, the 50th anniversary of His Majesty, the wedding of the Crown Princess and the funeral of Prince Bertil and also princess Lilian. Events always required preparation in my work as well.
After the wedding, the Crown Princess and her husband moved to Haga Palace.
- When renovating the interior of the Palace, I fixed up several pieces of furniture in order for her, such as a desk.
Koivunen has fond memories of the late uncle of Prince Bertil and his wife Lilian. Princess Lilian’s Tiara was in a locked chest of drawers which key was lost. A tiara was needed for the Nobel dinner starting a few hours later.
Koivunen, who had recently started his work, was called to trouble with a large key box.
- I will forever remember how I drove Princess Lilian to Djurgården, a little worried about how I would find just the right one among dozens of keys.
The relief was great when Koivunen saw the chest of drawers.
- I knew right away with what kind of key that type of chest of drawers would open. A suitable key was found and the chest of drawers opened with the first attempt.
For the second time, Princess Lilian offered a drink after Koivunen had completed his mission. Koivunen said that he was with his car and had to refuse to drink because of it.
- Princess Lilian said in amazement that oh, young men today can't even drink. Prince Bertil smiled in the background because he understood that it could not be done, Koivunen laughs.
Koivunen's workplace for 20 years was an annex next to the Royal Palace.
- Previously, the studios were located in the Palace, but they were relocated for fire safety in the early 20th century. We also had workspaces near my home on Lovö Island, where there are court offices.
Koivunen's duties included inspecting all 13 castles in and around Stockholm.
- I went regularly to see how the furniture was in different castles and which of the objects needed action.
Certain castles open during the summer and close in the fall. All items should look neat.
- Some of the castles are accessible to the public. The Royal Palace is also in official use, and guests of the state usually also stay there.
The President of Finland traditionally makes his first state visit to Sweden. While visiting Stockholm, Martti Ahtisaari began another tradition by meeting the Finnish staff of the Royal Palace.
- After that, I met Tarja Halonen twice, and before I left I had time to meet Sauli Niinistö as well.
Koivunen made a difficult decision to quit his job at the Swedish court when a family with two children, after much deliberation, decided to move to Finland in 2013.
- The solution was not easy. In a roundabout way I heard that His Majesty had understood my decision, but the Queen was amazed. I had done very confidential duties for the royal couple on their private premises.
The timing of the move was affected by issues related to children’s education. At first, Koivunen took leave of absence.
- We had a one-year trial period. If the children had not adapted, we would have returned to Sweden.
The change in life was more demanding than expected, but the family decided to stay in Naantali, which was chosen as their home.
From Naantali it is easy to travel by ship to Stockholm, where Koivunen still works through his own company. He has a study in Naantali, but also in Stockholm. About half of the customers are Swedes, among them the Swedish state, but Koivunen is not allowed to talk about these tasks in public.
A large proportion of Finnish customers are located in the Helsinki metropolitan area. Recently, Koivunen has worked on several pieces of furniture at the Sinebrychoff Art Museum.
- It is great to bring the know-how accumulated in Sweden to your home country, Koivunen says.
Suomalainen Lassi työskenteli 20 vuotta kuninkaallisen elämän kulisseissa Ruotsin hovissa - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat

Pernilla Kristensson, architect, the palace curator of the Royal Court, posted a photo to her Instagram a week ago, calls herself as "the the temporary gardener" and tells at the comments:
"With the corona, the whole court needs to stand up for what is otherwise done by seasonal staff such as a tour guard on the floors or work at one of all the parks. I will work at Ulriksdal and Haga for three weeks, which was my wish"
"Right! Great fun to meet others in the organization and do something new and learn a lot!"
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDeX3jpnnSX/

She posted also this photo from the Haga Park
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDtqfd9naov/
And Gustav III's Pavilion
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzF2KUH14l/

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning has at its latest issue an interview of Hélène Gullberg, historian and curator at the Royal Court.
She has just published her first book "Den konserverade änkan", a historical novel about love, furniture art and women's living conditions in 18th century Stockholm.

You work also at the Royal Court, what do you do there?
- I am a curator and work to bring out the royal cultural heritage in public. To make it understandable and interesting. It can be in the form of a book, an exhibition or, most recently, the royal house's first online shop, Kungliga slottsbodarna (The Royal Gift Shop).
What is the best thing about working in a castle?
- That I will never be home blind. Every day I get to be in such close contact with history and physically feel the wings of history. It gives such energy and inspiration to carry it forward. Sometimes I think I have the most fun job in the world.
What does your workday look like?
- Since I work for all royal castles, it depends on which project prevails at the moment. One is not the same as the other. But I am very much out in the field at the various castles when I am not sitting and writing.
And we can also see you on TV this fall?
- Yes in the series Drottningarna (The Queens) which is shown on TV4. There I am a narrative historian and also guest star as an aging Lovisa Ulrika. It is an impressive product about the Swedish queens with Sofia Helin as cicerone. Finally, the queens are in focus, I say!
Who is your own favorite queen and why?
- Hedvig Eleonora was a queen that far too few know, if you compare with, for example, Queen Kristina. She was the most important woman of the great power period, worked for a long time and has left behind great treasures, for example the Drottningholm Palace. But she would probably have to be portrayed on film in a historical novel to become more well-known ...
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

The staff of the Royal Armoury are doing a good job:

The winner of the Educational Award of the Year 2019 is: The Royal Armoury's social media
The Board's motivation:
"With humor as a method, The Royal Armoury's social media reaches out widely and has both expanded its audience and lowered the thresholds for history. By commenting on the present, the past is made current at the same time as the own collections are made visible. All with the aim of creating an interest in history in the visitor."
Årets pedagogiska pris _ Föreningen för pedagogisk utveckling i svenska museer

The Mistress of the Robes, baroness Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke and her husband baron Hans von Blixen-Finecke attended the vernissage of Paris-based artist Fabian Edelstam’s new exhibition "Velvet" at Hotel Diplomat on 30th September.
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2020/10/dsc_8503.jpg?strip=info&w=1800
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2020/10/dsc_8538.jpg?strip=info&w=1800

Royal Guard at the Royal Palace
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGIi7rplf6y/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCW0lhDDBym/

Last edited by a moderator:
Court hairdresser Johan Hellström and Fredrik Robertsson are engaged! During the birthday celebration, Fredrik got the surprise of his life when Silvia's hairdresser Johan proposed.
- It was a completely magical feeling, it could not have been better, says Johan.
During the birthday celebration for Fredrik Robertsson at Bank Hotel, court hairdresser Johan Hellström gave a speech to his future fiancé, but what Fredrik did not have the faintest idea was that he would soon be engaged to. Quite unexpectedly, Johan went down on his knees.
When the famous court hairdresser Björn Axén passed away in 1993, the then young 27-year-old Johan Hellström inherited his company. Today, he has run it for almost 30 years, and has created successful hairstyles for Crown Princess Victoria and Queen Silvia.
Johan Hellström and Fredrik Robertsson have been a couple for two and a half years. When Johan tells about the wedding plans, he explains that the newlyweds want to wait with the wedding.
- Now we'll land and enjoy this. We want a good wedding and so we will wait. We will have a hard time having a small wedding, so when the corona pandemic has subsided, we will have a wedding, says Johan.
Drottning Silvias frisör förlovad med sitt livskärlek! _*Svensk Dam

Memories for life
Phuttiwat Suriyadachphong is on guard at the top of Lejonbacken. If he would describe the Royal Guard in one word, it is pride.
- I am proud to be here and guard the king, queen and important objects. My family is proud that I'm here guarding the palace. This is something I will be able to tell children and grandchildren about.
He has stood on guard when the king, queen and crown princess passed. The only thing that could outdo it is if he also had the chance to talk to someone in the royal family.
Minnen för livet - Försvarsmakten

H.M. The King has appointed the following persons to be extra ordinary court chaplains as of November 1, 2020.
Nya extra ordinarie hovpredikanter - Sveriges Kungahus

In addition to The Right Reverend Bishop and Chief Court Chaplain Dr. Johan Dalman, and The Reverend, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish Michael Bjerkhagen, there are about twenty extra ordinary court chaplains. These serve about twice a year in the Royal Chapel.
Organisation Kungliga Hovförsamlingen - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited by a moderator:
At the article in Svensk Damtidning we see The Marshal of the Realm Fredrik Wersäll at his summer job as a park worker and The First Lady of the Court Anna Hamilton and the Director of the Press Department Margareta Thorgren as museum guides at the Royal Palaces.

Staffan Larsson has been the Governor of the Royal Palaces four and a half years. He calls the King "His Majesty the King" throughout the conversation. He doesn't say "kungen" ("the king") like most others. Larsson tells how the pandemic has forced the king to rethink and for a period this summer, the court staff had completely new roles. This summer, there was no money for the extra staff who usually reinforce in the parks and in the exhibition floors, but the work still had to be done, and some of the royal family's closest employees came to help. A royal crisis management that was a success.
100 people who do completely different things on a daily basis. But now they pulled out, raked leaves and cut hedges. Sat at The Royal stables and trimmed reins and bridles. And helped The Royal Collections to inventory part of the 100,000-item collection. The Marshal of the Realm Fredrik Wersäll as a park worker. The court's personnel department were out clearing weeds. And Queen Silvia's closest collaborator The First Lady of the Court Anna Hamilton as a guide at the Royal Palace. Also the Court Equerry Ulf Gunnehed, the Director of the Royal Collections Margareta Nisser-Dalman and the Treasurer of the Court Jan Lindman worked at one of the floors of the Royal Palace. And the Director of the Press department Margareta Thorgren became guide at Gripsholm Castle.
Staffan Larsson tells that the reactions were only positive, they thought it was great fun. The staff at the Royal Court is incredibly loyal, and cohesion has probably never been better. The Marshal of the Realm Fredrik Wersäll likes that type of job he did as a worker at a park. And he got to meet the staff in a different way. Larsson says that both Wersäll and he have a great responsibility and many employees, and now they got to sit in the coffee room, there you really get to know people. Larsson has cut lawns at Tullgarn, Gripsholm and Strömsholm and knows now by centimeter where the border goes and which stones you should not drive on. Everyone felt an incredible pride in being able to participate and help.
Larsson is very happy with his job, and he really enjoys working with the King. They have many good and interesting discussions. What makes it so fun, is that the King is so interested in how to nurture this cultural heritage, and how best to show it.
Stora förändringar vid hovet _*Svensk Dam
Translation

Last edited:
During Advent, The Royal Court Parish broadcasts four web-TV programs

Come in and celebrate Advent in the Royal Chapel with the Royal Court Parish! On the first Advent The Right Reverend Bishop and Chief Court Chaplain Johan Dalman preaches about Jesus' entry into Jerusalem. Music with The Palace Choir, The Royal Chapel's Vocal Ensemble and The Royal Swedish Army Band. We hear Georg Joseph Vogler's "Hosianna" and Otto Olsson's "Advent". The program is led by The Reverend, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish Michael Bjerkhagen.

Last edited:
He is getting older; at least, to me he looks a lot older than when we saw him more regularly.

He is getting older; at least, to me he looks a lot older than when we saw him more regularly.
I'd forgotten about it but when I did a google I saw that Michael had a myocardial infarction in early 2020. By the looks of it has taken some toll on him.

Second of The Royal Court Parish's web-TV programs during Advent.

Come in and celebrate Advent in the Royal Chapel with the Royal Court Parish! Court Chaplain, Bishop Åke Bonnier preaches about man's need to have control over life - but in the midst of chaos we have to live in trust in God! Music with court singer Karl-Magnus Fredriksson, The Palace Choir, The Royal Chapel's Vocal Ensemble and The Royal Swedish Army Band. We hear Natan Söderberg and Gustaf Nordqvist's "Sakta det klingar: Nu är Advent!", And Händel's "Dotter Sion". The program is led by The Reverend, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish Michael Bjerkhagen.

Come in this Lucia Day and celebrate the third Advent in the Royal Chapel with the Royal Court Parish! Court Chaplain, Bishop Caroline Krook has gone to Biblioteksgatan in central Stockholm, where she reflects on the missing of going to church and her longing for Lucia parades and concerts! We get to listen to Frans Michael Franzén's "Bereden väg för Herran" and Emmy Köhler's "Nu tändas tusen juleljus". The music is performed by court singer Miah Persson, court organist Mary Ljungquist Hén, the Palace Choir, The Royal Chapel's Vocal Ensemble and The Royal Swedish Army Band. The program is led by The Reverend, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish Michael Bjerkhagen.

Welcome to the Royal Chapel and celebrate the fourth Advent with the Royal Court Parish! We meet the parish's new Court Chaplain, Hans Ulfvebrand, former dean in the Stockholm Cathedral, who invites us to the classic "Sister Floor" on Ersta diakoni's third floor where he is now active. Hans Ulfvebrand talks about Mary, God's word to Mary gave her ordinary reality a new meaning. Mary trusted that God has use of her ordinary life, in which God acts. The deepest matter of the manger, the cross and the empty tomb is thus; "Do not be afraid"! We get to listen to "Världens frälsare kom här", as well as Max Reger's "Marias vaggsång". The music is performed by court organist Mary Ljungquist Hén, court singer Miah Persson and Åsa Landholm, harp. The program is led by The Reverend, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish Michael Bjerkhagen.

At court Youtube Channel:
The Royal Court and the Life Guards' Dragoon Music Corps wish a Happy New Year with a New Year's concert from the Royal Chapel.
The Reverend, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish Michael Bjerkhagen speaks at the concert.

Seasonal employees to the royal parks
The royal palaces are surrounded by scenic parks that are worth visiting. All parks are open all year round, around the clock. Before the spring and summer of 2021, we are looking for garden workers for the royal parks. The business is conducted at Drottningholm Palace Park, Haga Park and Ulriksdal Palace Park, Gripsholm Castle and Tullgarn Palace Park and at Northern and Southern Djurgården.
Lediga befattningar - Sveriges Kungahus

Press release from the court
H.M. The King has appointed lawyer Lena Frånstedt Lofalk as the new Court Solicitor from 1 June 2021. Lena Frånstedt Lofalk succeeds Axel Calissendorff, who has held this position since 2009. The Court Solicitor is the legal advisor to H.M. The King and other members of the Royal Family.
Lena Frånstedt Lofalk ny hovauditör - Sveriges Kungahus

Axel Calissendorff is 67 years old, Lena Frånstedt Lofalk 63 years old.
Chockbeskedet – kungens nära medarbetare lämnar hovet _*Svensk Dam

Axel Calissendorff said to Expressen:
- I will soon turn 68 and have had my position for 12.5 years. It is such a position where the responsibility should change and preferably not exceed 12.5 years. Lena Frånstedt Lofalk is one of the country's most skilled lawyers, now the royal family receives better service than they received during my time. I wish her luck and congratulate the king on a good choice.
Lena Frånstedt Lofalk said:
- It is an honor to be asked and I am very happy, both surprised and happy.
You are the first woman to be appointed, does it give extra weight?
- I think it is extra fun because over the years I have contributed to various mentoring projects and encouraged women to become partners and managers and then it is important that you see that there are opportunities to move on.
Kungens närmsta man lämnar hovet

Last edited:
Video published at court Youtube today
Ulf Gunnehed, the Crown Equerry and Head of the Royal Stables, tells about his and the Royal Stables' work to take care of the royal family's transport.

Article about queen Silvia's lady-in-waiting Harriet Bredelius and her husband Peter at Skogsvärden Magazine in March 2019.

With hunting and recreation as major interests, the couple Bredelius have made important investments on their forest property in Sörmland. After several years of work, they now have a game-adapted, beautiful and accessible forest that has also led to new roads.
- Today, our forest is full of game, which is a good fit as we have started to conduct hunter-gatherer training here, says Peter Bredelius.
The dream of owning a forest was something that Harriet and Peter Bredelius shared already when they met in 2009. Since Peter then worked in Örebro and Harriet in Stockholm, they agreed to find a property that was somewhere in between.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Vilt och rekreation styr vägvalen på deras fastighet - Skogssällskapet.se

Information officer Johan Tegel with entrepreneur Gunilla von Platen at Prince Daniel's Fellowship entrepreneurial trip to Singapore in May 2019. Gunilla von Platen is an inspirer at Prince Daniel's Fellowship and a goodwill ambassador at Queen Silvia's Mentor International. She has also been part of the business delegation at state visits.
https://scontent-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9547121c9d7771da36963547821cb940&oe=609C083C

Back
Top Bottom