The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just one of the many little slips or clues that Charles wasn't into her. I doubt I'd have been onto those clues when I was 20 or so. Apparently "whatever love means" meant something different for Charles when directed at Diana, than at Camilla.

AFAIK, Charles has not been sustaining a close friendship with another woman while married to Camilla.

I think Charles may feel he's too old to go through all that again.

official photos
15113188_waK72.jpeg

15113189_5jMLv.jpeg

15113190_Thmu1.jpeg

15113191_edTW5.jpeg

15113193_d3sJB.jpeg

15113194_Zwp67.jpeg

15113195_zdvmd.jpeg

15113196_mBmOM.jpeg
15113192_y2Uud.jpeg

Last edited:
I was born exactly 9 years later. When my mom said Charles and Diana got married on my birthday, I said no, I was born on their 9th wedding anniversary! My parents themselves got married on Princess Margaret's 46th birthday, and will celebrate their 38th wedding anniversary this year!

I was at Barnes and Noble recently and came across the book that the Emmanuels wrote about the creation of the dress. It was interesting to flip through, although most of the photos were ones I had seen before. It did have photos of the crew that made the dress, embroidered it, etc. I was thinking about buying the book for my collection, at some point. Has anyone else seen the book?

Iowabelle. I have the book. The book is titled A Dress for Diana.

In A Dress for Diana, by David Emanuel and Elizabeth Emanuel, David and Elizabeth wrote:

Also, we wanted to create a very full skirt to give a scale to the dress that would reflect the fact that the wedding was to be at St. Paul's, one of the largest cathedrals in the world.

Charles & Diana was a stiffer couple but they had their moments and you could see that there was love between them. I know I saw it. There was too much expected of them and lots of pressure.
QUOTE] I agree they were in love and if they had simply been an aristocratic couple, and not had to work together, and not had the media make a giant star out of 20 year old Diana, they would have been a happy couple, a younger wife and an older husband.
That is to say if they weren't the POW, they didn't have their public positions, they could have made it. Many marriages are undone by circumstance, work, money difficulties, doesn't mean they were doomed from the start just that the "slings and arrows" have gotten too numerous.

In Diana, Sarah Bradford wrote:

At St. Paul's Cathedral, Diana had to concentrate on getting her sick father up the long aisle without mishap. One of the officiating clergy (Dean Webster) told friends how touching it was to see the way she practically carried him, walking painfully slowly, up the aisle.

In Diana, Sarah Bradford wrote: At St. Paul's Cathedral, Diana had to concentrate on getting her sick father up the long aisle without mishap. One of the officiating clergy (Dean Webster) told friends how touching it was to see the way she practically carried him, walking painfully slowly, up the aisle.

Bit over dramatized. Diana's version was she concentration on looking at who had attended.

They walked slowly up the aisle like other people.
Diana's long train had to be constantly straightened out added to the slow walk.

Bit over dramatized. Diana's version was she concentration on looking at who had attended.

They walked slowly up the aisle like other people.
Diana's long train had to be constantly straightened out added to the slow walk.

I remember watching the wedding and they did mention that consideration had to be made for Earl Spencer who had a stroke in 1978 and wasn't too steady on his feet. With this in mind, its very possible that they took their time and while doing that, it gave Diana the chance to check out who was where in the crowd and adjusting the train wouldn't be so obvious. Its all good.

The Lullingstone Silk Farm in Dorset, England produced enough silk to be included in Diana's veil.

Last edited:
I remember hearing that her father was very much leaning on her while walking down, not that they had to walk slower or anything. And I believe I saw them kind of sliding to one side at some point or that might have just been her train.

Today would've been The Prince & Princess of Wales's 33rd Wedding Anniversary.

Well yes, but I don't think they would have celebrated since they had separated...

:previous: Some of us still like to think of "what could have been, if only..." Yes, they probably weren't suited to begin with, but it all started out with such hope--at least for those of us on the outside looking in. Some of us still feel sad about the way it all fell apart, not to lay blame on anyone but just to recognize the tragedy of the marriage and how the break-down affected everyone. So we look back on that special day 33 with nostalgia tinged with a bit of grief.:ermm:

Well yes, but I don't think they would have celebrated since they had separated...

Yes I know. I'm just pointing out that they married on his day 33 years ago. I celebrate to the memory of the royal couple.

The wedding was very beautiful. How does it feel to Charles when remember the day he married Diana? It's something I'd like to know.

They made a good pair, and should have done things differently, without having left so many brands in William and Harry.

:previous: I also wonder how he must feel... I would look at it like a far amost surreal event after all that happened But I'm not Charles;)

:previous: I also wonder how he must feel... I would look at it like a far amost surreal event after all that happened But I'm not Charles;)

If he's anything like me, he chooses to remember the good things and the wonderful sons that came from that marriage and forget the trials and tribulations the breakdown of the marriage caused.

33 years since the wedding eh? Sheesh.. sometimes it seems like it was only yesterday.

I remember watching it with my sister and grandmother -- as if it were yesterday. Just amazing to think how much has transpired in the world and in that family during those 33 years!

I wasn't even born when they got married and I' ve just seen them already divorced. However iwhen I saw some wedding's clips I got the impression that the were not made for each other.... Perhaps I was just influenced by the their divorce! I could see the fairytale and all but... it just missed something... Don't know if I'm explained

My thoughts and prayers are always with William and Harry but with Charles too. Can't be easy for him to have lost the woman he married all those years ago and the mother of his children. Charles admitted that he and Diana cried after the wedding due to the overwhelming feelings of that big day. I'm sure he privately reflect on those very happy days. He must go through a lot of reflections now that William is happily married and have a son of his own.

I don't know if anyone paid attention but Charles looked totally shattered at Diana's funeral, her memorial fountain opening and her 10th anniversary memorial service.

My thoughts and prayers are always with William and Harry but with Charles too. Can't be easy for him to have lost the woman he married all those years ago and the mother of his children. Charles admitted that he and Diana cried after the wedding due to the overwhelming feelings of that big day. I'm sure he privately reflect on those very happy days. He must go through a lot of reflections now that William is happily married and have a son of his own.

I don't know if anyone paid attention but Charles looked totally shattered at Diana's funeral, her memorial fountain opening and her 10th anniversary memorial service.

In looking back, its easy to see that although the marriage didn't work out and they divorced, they still had feelings for each other. I don't think Charles would have been so involved with bringing Diana back to the UK and her funeral, memorials etc if he didn't. Sometimes the best way to show love for another person is to let them go.

In looking back, its easy to see that although the marriage didn't work out and they divorced, they still had feelings for each other. I don't think Charles would have been so involved with bringing Diana back to the UK and her funeral, memorials etc if he didn't. Sometimes the best way to show love for another person is to let them go.

:previous: Well, of course he must have loved her as the mothet of his children and as a ex wife but he was and always will be in love with Camilla.

:previous: Some of us still like to think of "what could have been, if only..." Yes, they probably weren't suited to begin with, but it all started out with such hope--at least for those of us on the outside looking in. Some of us still feel sad about the way it all fell apart, not to lay blame on anyone but just to recognize the tragedy of the marriage and how the break-down affected everyone. So we look back on that special day 33 with nostalgia tinged with a bit of grief.:ermm:

The wedding was very beautiful. How does it feel to Charles when remember the day he married Diana? It's something I'd like to know.

They made a good pair, and should have done things differently, without having left so many brands in William and Harry.
For me, it's all those things, Mermaid, and always the little girl in me loves the fairytale part. It just looked such a fairytale, even though I know it wasn't. Diana, especially, in my little girl's mind, was the fairytale Princess on that day. I still love to look at photos, or watch my mom's video of it now and then, to feel that " here is the stuff of which fairytales are made."
I still adore Diana, but now I have to say for me the true fairytale couple is William and Kate. They are real people too, which I love, but they have true love like in fairytales.
I was thinking about this, if this was a book, it would be like this, Fairytale romance and Wedding, Prince Takes a lover, Princess and Prince Suffer, Princess Great humanitarian, End of Marriage, Princess Dies. What kind of story is that? What would have been the ending- in particular, for the princess? What was the point of it even happening? So Diana could change the world? William and Harry? But I am glad it happened.

@ Blog Real- I wonder how he thinks of it too? The wedding I mean. Not at all? Or how I hope he thinks of it, as Osipi said, all the good times. As she said, part of love is letting go.

Last edited:

I did notice how devastated Charles looked when he went to France and the day of Diana's funeral. He had just lost a friend, former lover, and the mother of his children. I believe that he and Diana were starting to become friends and that they were repairing their relationship. I wonder if Diana ever thought or hoped she and Charles would get back together.

Back
Top Bottom