The Grimaldi Ancestors

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a thread about the Prince Pierre Foundation of whom Caroline is the patron....

Patrilineal descent
Albert's patriline is the line from which he is descended father to son.
Patrilineal descent is the predominant principle behind membership in royal houses - which means that genetically Albert II belongs to the house of Chalencon.
Early descent from
House of Chalencon

Bertrand de Chalencon, mentioned 1179
Guillaume de Chalencon, d. 1229
Bertrand de Chalencon, d. 1272
Bertrand de Chalencon, 1240 - 1295
Guy de Chalencon, 1279 - 1324
Guiot de Chalencon
Guillaume III, Baron de Chalencon, d. 1411
Pierre Armand, Baron de Chalencon, d. 1447
Louis-Armand, Viscount of Polignac
Guillaume-Armand, Viscount of Polignac, d. 1473
Guillaume of Polignac
Francois-Armand of Polignac, 1514 - 1582
Louis-Armand of Polignac, 1556 - 1584
Gaspard Francois of Polignac, 1579 - 1659
Louis-Armand of Polignac, 1608 - 1692
Scipion Sidoine of Polignac, 1660 - 1739
Louis, Marquis of Polignac, 1716 - 1792
Jules, Duke of Polignac, 1745 - 1817
Camille Henri, Count de Polignac, 1781 - 1855
Count Charles de Polignac, 1824 - 1881
Count Maxence de Polignac, 1857 - 1936
Pierre de Polignac, 1895 - 1964
Rainier III, Prince of Monaco, 1923 - 2005
Albert II, Prince of Monaco, 1958 -

Princess Charlotte, Duchess of Valentinois, portrait as a young girl, date unknown, around 1912
http://i42.tinypic.com/2556xah.jpg

In most pictures I find a resemblance between Pss.Charlotte and Pss. Caroline - take the famous Laszlo painting f.i.

But here, the resemblance is one generation down, to Charlotte Casiraghi.

Albert I on Cigar card

Albert I, Fürst von Monaco, 13.11.1848

Albert I, Fürst von Monaco, mit Marie Alice Heine, bei Hochzeit, Paris

3rd pic is the wedding of Pss Charlotte and Pr.Pierre im Monaco

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome. It will be interesting to see if Andrea takes the Throne from Albert what he does with his last name.
probably- Casirigahi- Grimaldi in honor of his father. Since he is probably the only child that has early memories of him. I have the feeling the goverment will insist that the family only will the Grimaldi as the surname since the name has never been intertwined before--JMO:cool:

An interesting blog about "La Belle Otero":

The Suicide Siren: La Belle Otero

"...Eight men killed themselves for her ..... For her 30th birthday, five monarch-lovers (Prince Albert of Monaco, King Leopold of Belgium, Prince Nicholas I of Montenegro, Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaevich, and Edward, Prince of Wales) chipped in and threw her a gala surprise party at Maxim's..."

Also a ref to a book named "La Belle Otero" by Arthur Lewis.... I'll try and get it from the library :)

Glistening Seas

:hellokitty: Is this the one that the Prince of Monaco (at that time) his wife banned from Monaco???

:thistle: Apparantly she had an affinity for married men??:heartflower:

Alice Heine, wife of Albert I, the first American princess in Monaco banned La Belle Otero from living in the principate

Princess Charlotte, Duchess of Valentinois

Informations about her life, pictures...

Also a ref to a book named "La Belle Otero" by Arthur Lewis.... I'll try and get it from the library :)
If your library doesn't have it they can order it for you. My daughter connected me to the library online and we order books from all over the country. Many don't realize they can order like that or from other countries.

A Missing Grimaldi

Does anyone recognize the man in the attached picture. He is my grandfather, Alberto Vincent Grimaldi, who my aunt says was from
Northern Italy. He told my mother in 1935 that he was from a very
wealthy family in northern italy and they wanted him to marry some
woman he didn't want to and that is why he left. I have not been
able to find any information on him at all. He married my grandmother,
Nicolena Amodea from Auletta after he arrived in New York. He told my mother that his parents were related to the Prince of Monaco. His parents were Vincenzo Grimaldi and Gertrude Sallilto.

If anyone has any information about my grandfather, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.
Eileen Deer
Augusta, Ga. USA

Attachments

• Alberto Vincent Grimaldi and wife Nicolena Amodea.doc
    187 KB · Views: 256
Glistening Seas

:writing: Really?? that is amazing!! It would be interesting to note your grandfather was what relation to RANIER? it's a little difficult to know whom is who since most of us here don't know much past RANIER. Certainly sounds like a wonderful man?? did he mention anything more about them to you. we would love to hear why your grandfather didn't hear from them or at least contact them. Of course, if things were such that he left more than likely your grandfather was simply enjoying his family and not interested in being part of the life his parents wanted him to have. however whatever more info you can provide would be wonderful!

The Grimaldi came from Genoa area 700 years ago so most likely any relationship would be extremely distant The name is not unique to the princely family of Monaco.

In some ways the Princely Family of Monaco keeping the "Grimaldi" name is somewhat misleading. As has been stated the Grimaldis are a very old and by now widespread family in northern Italy. The Princely Family of Monaco have not actually been male-line Grimaldis since the reign of Prince Jacques I. From that time the princes of Monaco were actually of the Matignon family until the reign of Rainier III whose father was the Comte de Polignac and thus a different family line came into play again. This has happened in many monarchies they just don't always keep adopting the same name like in Monaco. In fact, the actual Grimaldi family became rather upset when Prince Jacques was recognized and accepted as the ruler of Monaco by King Louis and said that the people of Monaco would never accept a ruler who was not a real Grimaldi. Well, Jacques was not very popular certainly but no one seemed to hold their anger over to his children (half Grimaldi after all) and as we know things have continued on quite well. There have been many noteworthy and famous Grimaldis throughout history with no connection whatsoever to Monaco. Monarchy gets people noticed :D
:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

As you can see here, (type Grimaldi where it says "Cognome", on the left), the last name Grimaldi is widespread all over Italy!

The French variant of the Grimaldi surname is also prevalent, as in "Grimaud" and "Port Grimaud" (both in the Var). On French Google there are about 665000 entries for "Grimaud", and in the actual village there are several people named Grimaldi.....

I found an ancestor of the Grimaldis in imdb. It says:

"[speaking of Caroline]
Her great-great-great-great grandmother was Yolande Martine Gabrielle de Polastron, duchesse de Polignac, who has been played by, among others, Rose Byrne, Claudia Cardinale, and Ruth Hussey."

I didn't know of the existence of this woman. And I didn't know she was played by these actresses!

Well spotted, Nathalie, thanks!!

Yolande has her own Wikipedia entry!
Yolande de Polastron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She was the "favourite" of Marie Antoinette, and this got her into trouble with the people.

She became governess to the Royal children and was given a 13-room apartment in the Palace of Versailles. Later she fell out of favour with M.-A. and moved to England where she became a friend of Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire.

In 1789 she moved to Switzerland, thus evading the French Revolution,
But she was ill with cancer and died in 1793.

Princely Fun Facts

• King Philippe IV of France named Prince Rainier I of Monaco the Admiral-General of France for his victory at Zierikzee over the Flemish fleet.
  • Prince Charles I of Monaco once pillaged Southampton, England and later fought at the battle of Crecy.
  • Lucien allegedly came to the throne of Monaco by murdering his brother and later lost it himself in the same fashion via a nephew.
  • During the reign of Charles II a Genoese-Corsican attacked was allegedly turned away when St Devote appeared over the walls to shame the attackers.
  • Hercules I of Monaco is believed to have been killed by angry fathers of girls he had "loved up".
  • Honore II of Monaco so embellished the Princely Palace that the place became known as the "Versailles of the Mediterranean".
  • Prince Louis I of Monaco and King Charles II of Britain shared a mistress (though obviously not at the same time). His wife was also mistress to Louis XIV of France for a time.
  • Prince Antoine I of Monaco planted spiney plants and cactus around the base of the palace walls to discourage attackers.
  • Prince Honore IV of Monaco fought in Spain and Russia in the Napoleonic wars and was a prisoner of war for a time.
  • Prince Charles III gave Monaco her national flag, national anthem and was the first to print postage stamps. He did not think the whole gambling thing would pan out.
  • Prince Albert I was the first Monegasque sovereign to visit the United States; going to Wyoming to hunt bears.
  • In 1910 Prince Albert stockpiled weapons and ammunition and called in British sailors from a nearbye warship for fear of a rebellion.
  • Prince Rainier III and Princess Antoinette both spoke English before learning French thanks to having an English nanny.

Thanks Renata for the Wikipedia entry. Very interesting. So she was Marie Antoinette's favourite and was later friends with the Duchess of Devoshire!

And Bones, thanks for your contribution of fun facts... the last one, amazing!
And the 7th one too ;)

Wow, Bones - these mistresses must have had a busy time, what with Prince Louis and especially Charles II of England.... let's hope there were sufficient perks!

I always wonder how these reigning heads managed to get any work done - with all these mistresses vying for the privilege of "entertaining" kings and princes.....

I loved the "obviously not the same time" *lol*

The woman in question was Hortense Mancini, Duchesse de Mazarin. Evidently King Charles II was rather jealous about it but I doubt Prince Louis had much sympathy considering that Charles at least had his own wife to himself whereas Louis had to prudently make himself scarce while his own wife was flavor-of-the-month to King Louis XIV. Fortunately, this was back when Princes of Monaco rarely resided in Monaco but left local affairs to a qualified regent. How Charles did it, I have no idea. I thought the same thing reading about a Vietnamese emperor who had 142 children -when did the guy find time to rule a country?! :lol:

The Vietnamese chap must have had unlimited funds and stamina :)

Is there a connection between Hortense Mancini and Cardinal Mazarin?

He vigorously secured the succession I guess you could say :D. And yes, the mistress in question was I think a neice of the famous Cardinal Mazarin if I remember correctly. She probably had court intrigue flowing freely through her veins.

Guess what - Cardinal Mazarin wasn't French at all, he was an Italian by the name of Giulio Raimondo Mazarino from Naples.

His seven nieces were known as the Mazarinettes!

He was a dab hand at gambling and loved jewellery.

The Monegasque company Artcom-Monaco has created a game called "Malizia Monaco" - "1200 questions to discover the secrets of the history of the Principality of Monaco", divided into six areas of interest, and for up to 4 players.

The company is intending to bring out an English version soon.

MALIZIA MONACO Français

See also:
News

Back
Top Bottom