The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find it charming that the Duke of Edinburgh's reputation is so embedded in our culture, that when the man who helped him after the car accident was asked if the Duke had said anything to him, the man immediately replied :
"He did. It wasn't rude." !!

Speaking from personal family experience, it's the hardest thing in the world to try and get an older relative in their 90s to stop driving when they are still mentally sharp, physically functional and independent. I had a 95-year-old aunt who had been an excellent driver all of her life, but her reaction time was necessarily slowed. Still, she insisted upon continuing to drive, when it was possible for other arrangements to be made. I always felt like the Lord was with her whenever she continued to get behind the wheel of a car.

My aunt was beginning to slow down physically but she was still sharp as a tack and likely wary of anybody trying to take her independence away from her. She eventually died of heart failure, and I'm so glad it didn't happen behind the wheel of a car. She was so fiercely independent and strong-minded that it was impossible to get her to do anything she didn't want to do, or to stop her doing something she wanted to do.

I'm so glad that Prince Philip is doing okay and I pray this serves as a wake-up call for him to at least cease driving himself, and point himself to enjoying the rest of his days in other favorite pastimes and endeavors.

Oh Wyevale thats funny. Bet he has plenty of words to say now. But as a gentleman he would never swear in front of the Queen.

Old age shouldn’t be a disqualification for driving. I know plenty of people in their 20s and 30s that shouldn’t be driving.

And according to ITV there’s been 40 accidents along this stretch of roadway so it seems it’s a dangerous spot regardless of age.

Last edited:
I am stunned at all those who automatically blame Prince Philip because of his age. There seems a consensus in some quarters that the poor old dear isn't playing with a full deck these days.

I am glad nobody was seriously injured, not least Prince Philip as the airbags are not gentle when they are deployed and he may yet have two black eyes.

As to his driving, I think he drives only on the estates and this one is bisected by a public road in a well known black spot.

I'll wait for the local Constabulary to issue a statement and lay charges if required.

I am stunned at all those who automatically blame Prince Philip because of his age. There seems a consensus in some quarters that the poor old dear isn't playing with a full deck these days.

I could not agree more with you. Prince Philip is meant to have commented that he was dazzled by the low sun, which can affect us all, irrespective of age.

I am glad nobody was seriously injured, not least Prince Philip as the airbags are not gentle when they are deployed and he may yet have two black eyes.

As to his driving, I think he drives only on the estates and this one is bisected by a public road in a well known black spot.

I'll wait for the local Constabulary to issue a statement and lay charges if required.

Well, as for me personally, I didn't blame anyone for Prince Philip's accident. I only shared a personal story, and I said I hope the accident is a wake-up call regarding Philip driving himself. And that's solely due to the fact that it's been proven reaction time and reflexes are slowed as people age. I have personal experience of that. For eg, my aunt was beginning to get into accidents: backing into things (not people fortunately), hitting a parked car because she became disoriented in looking for something in a mall parking lot and took her eyes off where she was driving. Also going around bends in the road, she tended to drift slightly over the center line before correcting her trajectory. But as I say, nothing tragic or overly disastrous occurred by the grace of God.

Obviously, what happened to Prince Philip could have happened with anyone driving, and with him being a passenger. In fact, when I first learned of the accident, I assumed that Prince Philip was a passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident. Still, at age 97, I'd be surprised if Philip's reaction time behind the wheel is the same as when he was even 10 to 15 years younger.

Discussing one's reaction time when they are operating a vehicle, has absolutely nothing to do with an elderly person's mental capacity. I tried not to be in a car with my aunt, and when visiting I would beg her to let me drive. None of her friends would get in a vehicle with her anymore unless they were driving. But with me being used to acquiescing to my aunt's fiesty strong will, I couldn't avoid being with her in a car a few times when she was elderly. Whenever I tried to be helpful and cautioned her to slow down, etc., she'd take it the wrong way and respond sharply. I understood why and so I tried not to say anything and I prayed with my heart in my mouth.

In one's 90s, I don't care how sharp a person is, I don't think it's safe to continue driving. But it's a delicate issue because perhaps some elders are more capable of continuing to drive than others. I also have a 93-year-old uncle who lives alone and still drives himself. He tends to drive cautiously and capably so I was less nervous being in a car with him.

Again, my concern for Prince Philip continuing to drive himself does not mean I think he caused this accident. I certainly do not think he's feeble-minded in any way. I realize he's a feisty, independent-spirited individual who likely doesn't take kindly to being told what to do, much like my aunt. In one's 90s, no matter the fine state of one's health, anything can happen at any time, such as stroke or disorientation. A stroke happened to Princess Grace when she was behind the wheel of a car, and she was in her 60s.

Last edited:
It looks bad, especially when something like this happened. I don't think we'll see Philip drive on a public road again, ever.
He is so lucky there was no serious injury and should not tempt fate.

Ok. I wonder why UK people were calling it a Rangerover.

Probably because the BRF are known to drive them. Land Rover make the Range Rover & the Freelander & they look quite similar except the Freelander is smaller. My previous car was a Freelander - it's a very sturdy car, which he'll be glad of considering the whack it took.

All A149 recommendations (planned before #DukeOfEdinburgh crash) approved by Norfolk county council's committee: speed limit cut from 60 to 50mph. Junction improvements & average speed cameras to be installed -

via @DebbieTubby

Thank you Lily. This model has very good safety features for him to walk away from it.

All A149 recommendations (planned before #DukeOfEdinburgh crash) approved by Norfolk county council's committee: speed limit cut from 60 to 50mph. Junction improvements & average speed cameras to be installed -

via @DebbieTubby

Has this been approved today?

:previous:

Yes. The meeting today was planned before the Duke’s accident.

Images / Diagrams:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/18/11/8690086-6604071-image-m-20_1547812292530.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/18/13/8694158-0-image-a-24_1547818595701.jpg

Police launch investigation into Prince Philip crash as it's revealed 'shaken' royal, 97, asked mother and baby 'Is everyone else alright?' after he was pulled through roof of Land Rover - but where were his royal protection officers?

• Norfolk Police investigating Duke's crash as it emerges royal was driving without personal protection officer
  • Prince Philip was 'conscious but very shocked and shaken' after crashing his Land Rover near Sandringham
  • Two women with nine-month-old baby in back of their Kia smashed into the side of his armoured Land Rover
  • All three were rushed to hospital - one suffered a broken arm, the other injured her knee but baby unharmed
  • Experts have warned of the dangers of older drivers getting behind wheel amid rise in over 70s DVLA tests
  • Did YOU see the crash or know the two women involved? Email: martin.robinson@mailonline.co.uk or tips@dailmail.co.uk
By Rod Ardehali and Rory Tingle and Martin Robinson, Chief Reporter For Mailonline
Published: 12:59 EST, 17 January 2019 | Updated: 08:55 EST, 18 January 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6604071/Duke-Edinburgh-involved-road-crash.html

Last edited:
I completely agree with this. While I'm glad that DoE was physically unharmed, and didn't require immediate hospital care, the two ladies in the other car were injured, and there was that baby in the other car too. It is very short sighted and callous to not mention them in the prayers.
I agree, I understand the news are more about the Prince , but really it was a baby involve, and not the least the 2 ladies got injured. So hope they get well compensated, Because he is a prince the aids run immediately to him what about the other passengers did they get the same treatment? or because they are commoners they were left behind?

No one was left behind ...come on. You need to google some articles about it.

LaRae

I agree, I understand the news are more about the Prince , but really it was a baby involve, and not the least the 2 ladies got injured. So hope they get well compensated, Because he is a prince the aids run immediately to him what about the other passengers did they get the same treatment? or because they are commoners they were left behind?

Emergency services would have taken care of them, and they would have been taken to a local NHS hospital where their medical needs would have been taken care of.

It’s a shame the press got the photos of the new car being delivered. It will leave a lot of people very bitter about how quickly they can get these things.

I bet he has whiplash injuries (and the others too). I was in a car crash 30 years ago (someone drove across me) & had to wear a support collar for a while - I was awarded some compensation & still have minor neck problems. The pain of the whiplash didn't start for a few hours until my neck went into spasm & was sent to hospital. I've heard others say similar things about crash injuries.

No one was left behind ...come on. You need to google some articles about it.

LaRae

I agree with you--there are many articles that mention the care taken of the women & baby.
Additionally, once the Archbishop had the information about the other car's occupants, he tweeted about them as well.

Philip has driven LR Freelanders for mamy years whem on his own. Land Rover stopped producing the Freelander a few years ago. My guess is that the car that was delivered to Sandringham today was his Freelander from Windsor or Balmoral.

THIS! Actual facts, before anyone jumps on the bandwagon and says Philips just popped down to the local dealership and purchased a new car. Do we think Land Rover would deliver like that, I don't.

Glad to hear that Philip is okay and that the other passengers and drivers are fine too.

I bet he has whiplash injuries (and the others too). I was in a car crash 30 years ago (someone drove across me) & had to wear a support collar for a while - I was awarded some compensation & still have minor neck problems. The pain of the whiplash didn't start for a few hours until my neck went into spasm & was sent to hospital. I've heard others say similar things about crash injuries.

I can imagine so; too. I've been in two very minor car crashes though as I was quite young on both occasions and thus more vulnerable I had whiplash injuries and was quite shaken up on both occasions. Particularly now that Philip is at a very old age, he'll also be more vulnerable to being badly hit psychologically and in regards to whiplash (though whiplash can effect everyone differently regardless of age). I wonder if he'll no longer drive after this or will stick to private grounds if he still has a desire to drive because he has an incredible stamina even at 97 and seems very strong-willed to carry on doing things that require extra strength at his age.

I strongly suspect that, as the Freelander is no longer produced anymore and hasn’t been for two years or more, that this was indeed another car philip already owns. Even with the best will in the world I doubt Philip or the ROyal Household could get a car that hasn’t been produced for ages, in the same colour and spec to Sandringham within 24hrs. It may even be that Philip hasn’t asked for it and the royal staff are just being proactive.

I was in a car crash before with my daughter and yes in fact I had whiplash and show after 24 hs of the accident and I had to go for 3 months to therapy. And also I my daughter had to go even longer for whiplash and her arm and shoulder. I had to fight it with the insurance of the other car, it was his fault , and his insurance did not want to pay fr my daughter they literally told me she was a little girls so nothing could had happen to her, I never listen such stupid statement! Anyway hope everybody is ok today . Wonder how will the other people get compensated ?

THIS! Actual facts, before anyone jumps on the bandwagon and says Philips just popped down to the local dealership and purchased a new car. Do we think Land Rover would deliver like that, I don't.

I'm sure it must be one they already own and just had it relocated to Sandringham. The one he drove has special armor if the articles are to be believed. Even Range Rover couldn't put that together so quickly and if the palace was going to buy a new car, they would have taken time to decide on other amenities or upgrades they would one.

Back
Top Bottom