The Death & Funeral of HSH Princess Marie of Liechtenstein - August 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
"HSH Princess Marie of Liechtenstein died on August 21, 2021 at 4:43 pm in the hospital in Grabs. After her health deteriorated steadily after the stroke on August 18, 2021, she fell asleep in the presence of her family and after receiving the holy sacraments, in peace and with great trust in God”, announced the Princely House on Saturday evening.

https://www.volksblatt.li/nachrichten/Liechtenstein/Breakingnews/vb/284878/trauer-um-furstin-marie

https://www.vaterland.li/liechtenst...und-zu-liechtenstein-verstorben;art121,457323

https://fuerstenhaus.li/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/PM_AblebenIDF_20210821.pdf

Church bells rang across the small principality between 8.15 and 8.30 P.M.
https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/marie-princess-of-liechtenstein-has-died-at-the-age-of-81-164573/

Last edited:
Rest in peace and such sad news for the Princely Family.

May she rest in peace and my condolences to her family.

RIP to HSH. Condolences to the Princely Family.

Rest in peace Marie Aglaë, the consort with the most classical name.

Aglaë (Aglaïa) was the youngest of three daughters of Zeus. In Roman mythology these three became known as the Gratiæ (Graces). Aglaë was the Grace of Splendor.

Last edited:
May she rest in peace...

Condolences to her husband, children and grandchildren.:easter:

My condolences to the family.

Such sad news to wake up. My condolences to the Princely family and all of Liechtenstein.

Rest in peace. My sincere condolences to the family.

No announcements have yet been made about Princess Marie's funeral.
Do the consorts of the Sovereign Princes of Liechtenstein have a state funeral?

I'm not sure that any consorts have been given a State Funerals which are are usually reserved for monarchs but there could be a Ceremonial funeral or possibly a private family one.

Sad but expected news, may she rest in peace !

Had Princess Marie been ill before her stroke?

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP Princess Marie Aglaë. My condolences to the princely family of Liechtenstein.

Not unexpected after a stroke but still hard for the family and especially her husband to process. She always seemed to be a kind lady. In these circumstances, it is good to know that she was surrounded by her family at her time of death and that she was spared further suffering.

Last edited:
Sad news. Sincere condolences to the Princely family, her friends, and Liechtenstein.

:liechtensteinflag2:
R.I.P. May she rest in peace.

:liechtensteinflag: Condolences to her husband and family. May she rest in peace.

I'm not sure that any consorts have been given a State Funerals which are are usually reserved for monarchs but there could be a Ceremonial funeral or possibly a private family one.

If i remember it right the funerals of Fürstin Gina and Fürst Franz Josef in 1989 were quiet similar. but because of Corona it could be that is different this year.

If i remember it right the funerals of Fürstin Gina and Fürst Franz Josef in 1989 were quiet similar. but because of Corona it could be that is different this year.

Yes was thinking the same it will probably be a scaled back event.

The descendance of the late Fürstin is a who-is-who in the Austrian-Hungarian and German nobility and also sported "full quarters" as it is called: generations of only aristocratic ancestors. Back then in a "class-concsious society" as Austria-Hungary this was not without importance. The late Fürstin had Liechtenstein ancestors herself:

Marie Aglaë Bonaventura Theresia Fürstin von und zu Liechtenstein, Gräfin Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau

PARENTS
Ferdinand Graf Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau
x Henriette Gräfin von Ledebur-Wicheln

GRANDPARENTS
Ferdinand Graf Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau
x Aglaë Prinzessin von Auersperg

Eugen Graf von Ledeburg-Wicheln
x Henriette Gräfin Larisch von Moennich

GREAT-GRANDPARENTS
Ferdinand Fürst Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau
x Marie Prinzessin von und zu Liechtenstein

Adolf Prinz von Auersperg
x Johanna Gräfin Festetics de Tolna

Johann Graf von Ledebur-Wicheln
x Karoline Gräfin Czernin von Chudenitz

Heinrich Graf Larisch von Moennich
x Henriette Gräfin Larisch von Moennich

GREAT-GREAT-GRANDPARENTS
Rudolf Fürst Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau
x Wilhelmine Gräfin von Colloredo-Mannsfeld

Karl Prinz von und zu Liechtenstein
x Franziska Gräfin von Wrbna und Freudenthal

Wilhelm Fürst von Auersperg
x Friederieke Freiin von Lenthe

Ernö Graf Festetics de Tolna
x Johanna Freiin Kotz von Dobrz

Adolf Graf von Ledebur-Wicheln
x Johanna Gräfin von Nostitz-Rokitnitz

Jaromir Graf Czernin von Chudenitz
x Karoline Gräfin Schaffgotsch

Johann Graf Larisch von Moennich
x Franziska Freiin Kast von Ebelsberg

Leo Graf Larisch von Moennich
x Helena Prinzessin Știrbey

Last edited:
Princess Georgina was seen at an Orleans Wedding during Summer 1989 and passed suddenly away on 18/10/1989. I remember King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola did not attend the Funerals but came to Vaduz the day before..
One month later on 13/11/1989 her husband Prince Franz Josef II (15 years older) passed away.
Hans Adam and Marie were Furst and Furstin of Liechtenstein in very very sad conditions.
For the Funerals we will wait what the Family will decide. Their National Day a week ago was already with very few people .
Princess Marie was an elegant Lady and popular. Her Birthday was celebreted. They were at the first row at Archuke Otto's Funerals and song the Kaiser Hymn proudly.

Last edited:
The descendance of the late Fürstin is a who-is-who in the Austrian-Hungarian and German nobility and also sported "full quarters" as it is called: generations of only aristocratic ancestors. Back then in a "class-concsious society" as Austria-Hungary this was not without importance.
It's a bit ironic that the one bringing commoner blood into the main line of the family is the Princess of Bayern.

Last edited:
It's a bit ironic that the one bringing commoner blood into the main line of the family is the Princess of Bayern.

You mean Sophie's grandmother Ottora Gräfin Douglas born Haas-Heye.

Yes, no aristocrat but for some reason the Haas-Heyes did belong to High Society as Sophie's great-grandfather Otto Haas-Heye managed to marry Viktoria, daughter of one of the Kaiser's closest friends, Philipp Fürst zu Eulenburg.

Since then they remained in that stratosphere. Otto Haas-Heye's descendants are a Duchess in Bavaria, a Princess of Liechtenstein, a Duchess of Marlborough and a Count Douglas. Quite impressive.

Last edited:
You mean Sophie's grandmother Ottora Gräfin Douglas born Haas-Heye.

Yes, no aristocrat but for some reason the Haas-Heyes did belong to High Society as Sophie's great-grandfather Otto Haas-Heye managed to marry married Viktoria Prinzessin zu Eulenburg, daughter of one of the Kaiser's closest friends, Philipp Fürst zu Eulenburg.

Since then they remained in that stratosphere. Otto Haas-Heye's descendants are a Duchess in Bavaria, a Princess of Liechtenstein, a Duchess of Marlborough and a Count Douglas. Quite impressive.
Impressive yes, but still not noble. Not to mention Jewish. Quelle horreur. In the old days of the Austro-Hungarian empire their descendants would be disqualified from high-ranking court positions and from some Imperial orders for generations. Thankfully things have changed.

The three Haas-Heye siblings lived interesting lives and if I could choose I'd rather be a descendant of them than the Eulenburgs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom