The Battenberg - Mountbattens

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed. Not very good news.
I hope he changes his ways soon. :flowers:

Oh, dear. I hope he seeks treatment.

How stupid can you get:eek:. He is too old for "tough love" or whatever, I thought he would be a teenager and suffering from teenage angst.

Saw a programme on the BBC where celebrities tried to experience homelessness and one of them, the Marquess of Blandford, he stands to inherit Blenheim I think, copt out, stayed in a hotel and lied about it.

What is wrong with these people is it education or character I wonder.

I think having the kind of privileges these aristocratic children do can either make you a better or a worse person. Unfortunately, this seems to be a "worse" example.

There gets to be a point when parents can do no more and they have to let go. Their child will either sink or swim. Nicholas is immature and self-centered and is using any excuse to use drugs. The family has experienced tragedy, but have survived and I refuse to believe Nicholas' whining.
I apologize if I've offended some posters, that sincerely was not my intent. I've lived with this in my family and have a good friend that has gone through and Nicholas' parents are enablers. He has to truly hit rock bottom before he can reform and some people never make it. It's cruel, but true. I'm sorry,but I can't have sympathy for a privileged aristocrat using drugs and complaining about his sister receiving money and he didn't so he has to use.

There gets to be a point when parents can do no more and they have to let go. Their child will either sink or swim. Nicholas is immature and self-centered and is using any excuse to use drugs. The family has experienced tragedy, but have survived and I refuse to believe Nicholas' whining.
I apologize if I've offended some posters, that sincerely was not my intent. I've lived with this in my family and have a good friend that has gone through and Nicholas' parents are enablers. He has to truly hit rock bottom before he can reform and some people never make it. It's cruel, but true. I'm sorry,but I can't have sympathy for a privileged aristocrat using drugs and complaining about his sister receiving money and he didn't so he has to use.

Katianna, no apologies needed. You are 1,000 % correct. I became physically ill reading this story. The best thing his parents could do is to cut him off --- financially --- let him see how the rest of the world lives. He will either learn or die. Frankly, I don't know which one is the better alternative for this very sad young man who had so much but decided to throw it away.

Let him see how the rest of the world lives. He will either learn or die. Frankly, I don't know which one is the better alternative for this very sad young man who had so much but decided to throw it away.

Well, I think, he knows how the rest of the world lives as he lives alone in London... As far as I know.

Well, I think, he knows how the rest of the world lives as he lives alone in London, not financed by his parents... As far as I know.

I think the article pointed out that he still had access to money --- I would assume some type of trust. I wonder if his parents could petition the courts to withhold payments from the trust to him -- thereby, denying him money with which to finance his habit.

I think the article pointed out that he still had access to money --- I would assume some type of trust. I wonder if his parents could petition the courts to withhold payments from the trust to him -- thereby, denying him money with which to finance his habit.

Allright, I deleted my fiances-quote as I'm not sure about it. But I think he knows "real live". Maybe he can't manage the balancing act between normal and working daylife and the life of his family... I'm not sure, but it makes me a bit sad. He really needs help IMO. But he also really needs to WANT to become clean.

If he has access to money then it's a controlled allowance. His father has changed his will that Nicholas doesn't inherit the family home Broadlands and the money that goes with it. He did this when Nicholas' drug problems began years back. Nicholas will inherit the title (he's currently Lord Romsey, his father is now Lord Brabourne and in line for the Montbatten title when his mother dies) but not the estate or money.

The Duke of Malborough did the same when his oldest son the Marquis of Blandford was a drug addict in the 1980s, he's since cleaned up his act and the 2 are close again, and Jamie Blandford works on the Blemheim estate.

I think this story is sad, as the last article I read about Nicholas was that his last stint in rehab had worked for him and he had been clean for a number of months. The family have sent him to rehab several times and have cut him off as well, it seems it hasn't worked.

It is a tragedy there is not doubt about it. But as previously mentioned....Nicholas has to want to get well. Trying to stay drug free is an ever day struggle...you don't just wake up one day clean.

Also, as previously mentioned the money aspect is a problem...as it before it seems like money wasn't a problem therefore he could get continual access to drugs.

Oh well. Up to Nicholas I 'spose.

Oh no, poor Nicky

A lost soul, I'd endeavour to say. It's incredibly unfortunate that his life (when faced with immense opportunity and a good deal of wealth) has taken the path it has, but he is accountable for it's direction, as is everyone for the decisions we make. He chose to abuse the substance once and the rest is history. Once an addict always an addict. Sad, but true.

Thanks for the link, Dierna. The Nicholas Knatchbull we've been discussing on the thread was named for the Nicholas Knatchbull who was murdered at age 14 on that boat, along with Lord Mountbatten, the Dowager Lady Brabourne, and Paul Maxwell. He would have been the second Nicholas's uncle.

This family surely has had more than its fair share of tragedy by now...

You're welcome, Ella Kay :) You're right with everything. In two weeks it is the 30th anniversary of the assasination of Lord Mountbatten, Nicholas Knatchbull, Dowager Lady Brabourne and Paul Maxwell. It must be terrible for Lady Patricia Mountbatten if she has read or heard the news about her grandson Nicholas in this weeks...

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this interview-video of Patricia Countess Mountbatten of Burma. Its not very current, 2002 it was taken, but I found it quite interesting because I never heard her for such a "long" time on a stretch:

INA Boutique

I wasn't quite sure where to put this article. It's about Lord Mountbatten's assassination, but it put me in mind of the controversy about the protection that the Duke of York wants to continue for his daughters. Prince Andrew would have been about 19 years old when Mountbatten was murdered. Who could blame a father from wanting the best protection for his daughters?Mountbatten ‘a marked man for 20 years’ - Times Online

Few people have known such appalling family tragedy as Countess Mountbatten. She tells Elizabeth Grice how she used the experience to help others
On the calm, fine Bank Holiday Monday morning of August 27, 1979, the Mountbattens' old green fishing boat, Shadow V, was making its last lobster-pot excursion of the summer holidays.

Countess Mountbatten: 'I cried every morning for six months' - Telegraph

:verysad::verysad:

Thirty years after the IRA murdered Earl Mountbatten, his grandson Timothy Knatchbull yesterday told of finally finding peace and forgiveness.
Mr Knatchbull was just 14 when the Provisionals blew up his family's boat. He narrowly survived but his twin brother Nicholas was among the four killed.

You're a better person than I am, Timothy Knatchbull.

Wow... I salute her and her family... What a strong sense of faith to have..compassion...and love. And how wonderful to talk about grief, a child's death, to not bottle it up inside...

The story about Cate Blanchett playing Countess [Edwina] Mountbatten of Burma in an upcoming film "Indian Summer" has been moved to the Royal Library.

Back
Top Bottom