Swedish Royal Orders & Medals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just when I thought I started to understand, it is getting even more complicated.

Are only Members/Knights of the Order of the Seraphim considered Members and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty - or does this apply to everyone who is a member/knight of any of the orders?

Just when I thought I started to understand, it is getting even more complicated.

Are only Members/Knights of the Order of the Seraphim considered Members and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty - or does this apply to everyone who is a member/knight of any of the orders?
As far as I have understood, yes only Members/Knights of the Order of the Seraphim.

The Swedish members of the forum can probably provide a better explanation, but what I read on the internet is that originally a person had to be appointed a commander of one of the lower orders before being eligible to become a Knight of Seraphim and that is where the designation "Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty" came from. I don't know if that is correct though.

It is also a bit confusing because nowadays the adult male Knights of the Seraphim in the Royal Family such as Prince Carl Philip and Prince Daniel are also Commanders of the Order of the Polar Star (you can notice how they always wear the black necklace insignia of the Polar Star at state dinners), but the female Members like Queen Silvia, CP Victoria, and Princess Madeleine are not (or so I think). Yet, they are also cited as "Member and Commander", which I don't understand.

ABBA's manager Görel Hanser has confirmed to Svensk Damtidning that Benny, Björn, Agnetha and Anni-Frida will attend when the quartet will receive the Order of Vasa on May 31.
- Yes, most probably, says Görel.
Margareta Thorgren says the same to Svensk Damtidning.

What a long overdue honour for ABBA.
And Frida is now HSH Princess Anni-Frid, Dowager Countess of Plauen!

Thanks for the clarification! I went by LadyFinn's description/translation but if I understand it correctly now, it is the name of an organization that 'manages' the various royal orders instead of an order itself.
Yes. ”Kungliga Majestäts Orden” (Orders of His Majesty The King) is the name of the Central Chancery that administrates the 4 Swedish Royal Orders of Knighthood and the medals that the King awards.

Last edited:
The Swedish members of the forum can probably provide a better explanation, but what I read on the internet is that originally a person had to be appointed a commander of one of the lower orders before being eligible to become a Knight of Seraphim and that is where the designation "Knight and Commander of the Orders of His Majesty" came from. I don't know if that is correct though.

It is also a bit confusing because nowadays the adult male Knights of the Seraphim in the Royal Family such as Prince Carl Philip and Prince Daniel are also Commanders of the Order of the Polar Star (you can notice how they always wear the black necklace insignia of the Polar Star at state dinners), but the female Members like Queen Silvia, CP Victoria, and Princess Madeleine are not (or so I think). Yet, they are also cited as "Member and Commander", which I don't understand.
Good that you have read it somewhere as well, confirming what I remembered.

I have no idea, and sometimes it is just not logical. Maybe it is a rest from the old days when Swedish Princes were Knights and Commanders of the Orders of His Majesty from birth, and awarded all four Orders (and the Order of Charles XIIi). Given that the Orders was dormant for fifty years this might have affected the logic in how things are named.

The Royal Court at its Instagram:
Tomorrow, H.M. The King delivers Orders of Knighthood to 13 exceptional Swedes.

I had a hunch that Agnetha and Frida would wear all white and so far at least Agnetha does.
And Frida wears also white

I would have liked to hear Chancellor Svante Lindqvist's speech - not these "experts" talking.

Profimedia gallery

Last edited:
And Frida wears also white

I would have liked to hear Chancellor Svante Lindqvist's speech - not these "experts" talking.
I agree… I would have loved to hear the ceremony from start to finish instead of hearing 3 journalists who didn’t even know the names of the people who were there, pretending to be ”experts”…

They should at least have brought in Roger Lundgren, or someone who knew what they was talking about…

The ceremony was very solemn and beautiful but the tv-broadcast was a disaster

I agree… I would have loved to hear the ceremony from start to finish instead of hearing 3 journalists who didn’t even know the names of the people who were there, pretending to be ”experts”…

They should at least have brought in Roger Lundgren, or someone who knew what they was talking about…

The ceremony was very solemn and beautiful but the tv-broadcast was a disaster
Yes, the TV-broadcast was a disaster.

But it's good to see that the Royal Court publishes photos of all recipients.
Among the guests were the recipients and their invited guests as well as representatives of official Sweden.

Photos of all Orders

A good summary about the ceremony:

Great - the Royal Court published a video from the whole ceremony!

The King has decided on awarding HM the King's Medal and the Litteris et Artibus Medal.
HM The King's Medal, previously called the Court Medal, from the last half of the 19th century is awarded for special merit.
Litteris et Artibus was founded in 1853 by Crown Prince Carl (XV). Litteris et Artibus is Latin and means science and art. The medal is awarded for outstanding artistic contributions mainly in music, stage production and literature.

Victoria has worn many outfits by Christer Lindarw lately and the royal family has been attending The After Dark Group's shows during the years:
HM The King's Medal, 8th size in the ribbon of the Order of Seraphim
Artist and fashion designer Christer Lindarw
for outstanding efforts in Swedish entertainment

The King delivered today HM the King's Medals and the Litteris et Artibus Medals. And as always, queen Silvia attended too.
At the photos we see among others
Artist and fashion designer Christer Lindarw
Chef, presenter and cookbook author Tina Nordström
Former head coach of the Swedish National Men's Football Team Janne Andersson
ANP gallery

Tina Nordström and Christer Lindarw show proudly their HM the King's Medals at their Instagrams

Last edited:
:previous:

Here are some additional photos provided by the Palace:

Back
Top Bottom