Should Japan abolish the monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The defeated Japanese elite asked only one thing of the victorious Americans: that they be allowed to keep their monarchy. The former emperor was reluctant to challenge the militarists, the present mikado is even less predisposed to tackling the inertia and arrogance of the IHA. Either the imperial family are of low inrellect, or as I believe, are quite comfortable and amenable in their ivory tower. As for the Japanese people; do not confuse respect and deference with affection.
First and foremost, I strongly doubt the Japanese Imperial family are of low intellect. Furthermore, I dare to assume that all royal families are "quite comfortable and amenable in their ivory tower". When it comes to Asian courtiers, they tend to be highly effective in tackling issues they encounter.

I would counter, that the Imperial Family serves as a unifying symbol to look up to, above the machinations of politics and business, and in challenging times for a country people always rally towards traditional and cherished institutions.

And that is what makes monarchy special, regardless of whether it be in Japan or elsewhere.

No, it shouldn't. For the same reason of all other monarchies: it is good to the country. But they should change succession laws to allow women to become reigning empress.

The former emperor was reluctant to challenge the militarists...
HIM Emperor Showa was not reluctant to stripe all imperial ranks from his own relatives. October 28th 1947 the families of 12 Imperial Princes and their families (122 persons in total) lost their titles and their rights of succession.
Princes yesterday, commoners today - from Corbis
Emperor Showa reserved the throne for himself and his immediate children only to avoid the military criminal trial for himself. The Emperor is impossible to jail or execute, but a private person is.
I am so sorry for all the Imperial Princesses who have lost their titles and rights because of Showa's unwise decision.

Democratic Party of Japan heavyweight Ichiro Ozawa held press conference ahead of Tuesday's DPJ presidential election.
Commenting on whether the now male-only Chrysanthemum Throne should be opened to females, Ozawa said: "It don't think it is unnatural for women to become the (reigning) empress. There is no need to restrict the succession to men." - Japan Times

Obviously as part of this forum, I am in full support of the monarchy. I just feel that in regard to the Japanese, the Imperial Family needs to start making some decisions for themselves, rather than turning over all of their power, and-as I said before-I suspect a great deal of money to the IHA, who then have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Your point is valid about what I believe to be the most important function of a monarchy. I hope the IHA recognizes that this function is not being met with the Imperial Family because of it's (IHA's) own restrictive and some would say oppressive behavior.

I don't think the monarchy should be abolished, but the IHA certainly can be! I don't understand the Imperial Family giving another person/agency the keys to lock you in a gilded cage/restricted lifestyle. Get rid of the IHA and start living a more normal or modern royal life.

IMO it will be up to the Japanese nationals upon whom the sovereignty of that country dwell. Yes, however, it will be good to bring about some reform in the IHA. The Japanese Imperial House had been imprisoned in Kyoto for such a long time until the Meiji era started that it is nothing new to them to be locked up inside their palace. Having said that, for their sake, it will be good if they can be given more freedom. 右翼団体 Uyoku dantai (right wing groups) are the ones who put people off from the Imperial House, I reckon. They are such horrid jingoistic thugs, no different from the Euronat, the BNP, Front National etc.. They always talk about the Yasukuni stuff and so xenophobic. This reminds me of the Yunohana Onsen incident in which white persons were refused their entry to this onsen (hot spring) in Otaru, Hokkaido.

I always think it is strange that in Japan those thugs are monarchist at the same time when they are ultra-nationalists. Here in the West, Danish, British or Spanish or whatever, we can be royalist without being xenophobic ultra-fascists but over there in Japan, for some reason, the ultra-nationalism and the monarchism go hand in hand. Oh, I do think those uyoku dantai spoil the image of the Japanese Imperial House.

Anyway, it seems as if the Japanese right want to keep the image of the Imperial Family according to their own version of what they should be like. Look at the members of the Japanese royalty. When you see Mary the Crown Princess of Denmark or Maxima of the Netherlands, then, you look at the Japanese royal women. Their fashion sense is just so awful. They could do with a very good stylist IMO. Michiko is the only person who looks reasonable, but, even her, she doesn't seem to get rid of her so-unfashionable small hats. Oh, and, the Japanese ladies-in-waiting wear such horrid dresses, too. They just look so dreadful. They don't have to be the dedicated followers of the Milan fashion week or the London collection but they could do with a bit of up-dating in what they wear.

I was stationed in Japan for two years, and I never bothered to go to Tokyo, wish I would have. Didn't figure out til maybe a year in that they had an Imperial Family.

I was stationed in Japan for two years, and I never bothered to go to Tokyo, wish I would have. Didn't figure out til maybe a year in that they had an Imperial Family.

Well, the Japanese Imperial Family are not as open as that of the UK (which is more closed in comparison with some of the European royal houses) and some of the royal families of Europe that one does not really see them on TV etc, I suppose.

Oh, is this really true that some American people just think that Japan is one of the American states because it is called the State of Japan ?

I do not think it should abolish the monarchy.
I couldn't imagine the country without the imperial family.

I could very well imagine Japan without the Imperial family, but not the family living as commoners. Alas!

I don't think it's a good idea to abolish the monarchy in Japan. The Japanese have a great respect for their emperor. The emperor is their symbol of stability. This is kinda similar to the still existing English monarchy.

Not the monarchy bu the abolishing of the Agency would be a better solution, IMO.

Modernization - YES !!! Abolishing the monarchy - HELL NO !!! God Save the Emperor !

I don't think it's a good idea to abolish the monarchy in Japan. The Japanese have a great respect for their emperor. The emperor is their symbol of stability. This is kinda similar to the still existing English monarchy.

I agree so much. We have great respect towards our Emperor and the Empress. It is true that we know he cares about people in Japan very much together with the Empress and wishing us well being all the time.

But the story is little different with CP Naruhito and CP Masako. The people in Japan is really upset by their actions.

Our Royal Family had so much respect and so many people wish that the time can go back before the CP Naruhito's wedding to Ms. Masako Owada. We had peace and harmony between our royal family and people. Now we lost that and we can really feel the pain for that.

CP Naruhito's younger brother Prince Akishino and his family is working on their duty as much as they can with their position and supporting the Emperor and the Empress. The people in Japan now recognize this very much after CP Naruhito and his wife could not carry their duties at this point.

There must be huge pressure for Prince and Princess Akishino to do their duties without making CP Masako to get upset about it. We have not heard the CP Prince and Princess to be sorry about not able to carry their duties towards the people of Japan and that they are greatful towards Prince and Princess Akishino for their hard work as well as to their father and mother,
the Emperor and the Empress. Since CP Prince Naruhito cares for his ill family member above everything else so much, I just wish he would step down at this point to pass to his younger brother who is very healthy and doing his duty as the royal family. Rather than hold on to his position and causing hatred from the people of Japan towards the Royal Family and as well as to his family, if he think and care about the royal family of Japan and future of Japan.

I never heard such severe criticism towards the royal family member from people of Japan before. There used to be a harmony between them. The respect and cares. I never heard the people questioned of CP family's behavior and talked about it as they do now so much. I don't understand how this could happened, yet I know the feeling of the majority people in Japan by reading the comment from the Japanese articles.

The turning point started coming in with CP Masako's illness not being stated by her doctor at the press conference. The people in Japan is not sure what kind of illness she has now and her doctor never appeared in front of the people and never explain directly to us in person. In fact she decided not to mention his name at all yet most people know by now. The doctor was introduced through her sister. No 2nd opinion was given either. She is a public figure after all. And the people truly cared for her in the beginning. Now more than ever especially she takes her daughter to the school almost every day and stay all the time with her in the class room almost a year. Before that she was not able to carry her duty because her illness now her daughter's illness. Before that we closed our eyes to her questionable actions.

CP Masako made a statement through her office by condemning Aiko's class mate boys as well as the school in the eyes of public but the open press conference was never held by both CP Naruhito and CP Masako.

Now after almost 7 years of off royal duties in Japan due to her illness, she all of the sudden wants to go to the wedding of Prince William and Kate when she can not even meet the people coming to her door steps. Wow.
The Japanese people felt she did not care for people of her own country.

Hope the issues settle with the royal family of Japan to give a peace and harmony back to the people of Japan. We care and respect our royal family very much.

I feel horribly for Crown Princess Masako, it seems like she can't catch a break either way...people want to see her go out more often, and just when it looks like she just might, the press then criticizes her for attempting to do so. I cringe when I think about how much worse the pressure will get when one day she becomes the Empress.

Perhaps the best thing would be if her doctors came out with a definite statement of precisely what her illness is and why she can do some things but not other things. If the best thing that she can do right now is go to school with Princess Aiko, that's fine with me. I think that being Crown Princess of Japan must be a terrible position to be in. First there's the pressure to have an heir. Then, after having a miscarriage, the child that's born is a girl. So right there, with her reproductive history, she knows that her husband won't have an heir to the throne, especially if his brother has a boy. Almost on cue, her brother-and-sister-in-law have a son. So not only has she not produced a male heir, but her sister-in-law has. That surely affects the relationships within the family. As far as a possible trip to London goes, she could actually do well there because she's used to being in Western surroundings. And isn't that part of the problem as well: she's perceived as being too Western. So if she travels to Europe, it reinforces the idea that she's not going to represent the Emperor and Japan and as a consort to her husband. Instead, she's seen as going for her own selfish reasons.

I cringe when I think about how much worse the pressure will get when one day she becomes the Empress.

:previous: You're right Mermaid, the Crown Princess has so much pressure on her from so many angles it seems...I applaud her husband for standing up for her and not forcing her to do a ton of things she just is not emotionally and/or physically comfortable with just for the sake of keeping up appearances. I think the two of them are really in love which is a rarity for royal marriages.

I feel horribly for Crown Princess Masako, it seems like she can't catch a break either way...people want to see her go out more often, and just when it looks like she just might, the press then criticizes her for attempting to do so. I cringe when I think about how much worse the pressure will get when one day she becomes the Empress.

Hi Ortiz,

I think people in Japan is confused at this point not knowing what is her real illness is...There was a doctor note but never signed by him, no conference. She was not able to carry most of her duty for last 7 years. Yet if you see her going to skiing with her family, can you ski if you are sick for hours at time? Now she can go to England but she was not able to meet the visitor at her house..There was never clear explanation of her condition from her nor CP prince. Only thing they asked us was "be patient for her" and we did for last 7 years then last year the issues with Princess Aiko came up. Again between the school and CP Masako had difference but there was never clear explanation again. Yet she took her daughter to the school and stayed at the school almost now whole year. Was she ill to do her duty or she wasn't...What really happening with her is not clear to the people of Japan and to her royal family. We just want the truth. Without that people start speculating and it is bad scene. After all she is the crown princess of Japan. She is a public figure. She does use that power for her presume now and the school for Aiko. So we wish she will open her mind. Japanese people still have care and respect for the royal family and want to keep that way. Some one to look up to.

Should they...I don't know but they should at some point maybe but I just don't know for how may more years the Japanese royal family will exist. IDK there also seem to be that problem of more princesses than princes to inherit the throne.

There also seems to be the problem of a 'pure bloodline' ending because seeing the present royals it seems like they will start having to marry their cousins if not the girls will marry commoners and lose their titles which leaves the boys to which There is only 1 male heir and boy does he inherit some weight on his shoulders

^thats right!!!
i can see in the future, something like Aiko and Hisahito being married despite being cousins. i know thats weird, but it can be possible!

The Emperor, a true symbol of national unity - Kuensel Online
[...]
A Japanese friend of this writer says, “The Emperial Family is like the pillar of the house, as long as there is the pillar the house is safe. That is why even then our enemies, the Americans, had to recognise him as the symbol of our national unity.”
When people have a wise and considerate King, the people remain united and strong, and in this way, in the 21st century, Bhutan, Japan, and Thailand are some of the most unique nations where there is social harmony and a strong emotional and traditional linkage of trust and respect between the people and their beloved “Pillars”.

Why is this question being asked? Is there a serious discussion about the japanese monarchy going on?

I've been asking myself the same question for decades ....

You may shoot me down, but, compared to other monarchies worldwide, the Japanese version seems less "useful" and "practical" than the rest.

For all that the IHA is bashed all the time, at least they have prevented the Imperial Family from making fools of themselves and the nation (by default) via scandals in their personal lives. The Imperial Family has managed to avoid so many of the scandals that have bogged the Western monarchies, for the very reason that the Imperial Family even has the IHA. Second, each member has been carefully screened and also I wonder how well the Imperial Fmaily would do without the IHA.

As for intellect, the Imperial family's members are famous for their scientific interests and things they do to occupy their time.

Still I don´t see what´s the point of people from other countries to discuss if Japan should abolish its monarchy...?!
Isn´t that up to the Japanese? As far as I see there´s no serious discussion IN JAPAN (!) about the monarchy right now - so what we do here is mingling into something that´s not our business and has no affect on this matter whatsoever.

Still I don´t see what´s the point of people from other countries to discuss if Japan should abolish its monarchy...?!
Isn´t that up to the Japanese? As far as I see there´s no serious discussion IN JAPAN (!) about the monarchy right now - so what we do here is mingling into something that´s not our business and has no affect on this matter whatsoever.
You are absolutely right. :flowers: But do not you think that this whole royal forum is in general a lot about meddling with things that are really NONE of our business and that all those sometimes heated conversations that take place here have hardly EVER any effect on the matters discussed? ;)

As far as I can see, there is no "meddling" taking place.

What is taking place ? Intelligent conversation. Mental stimulation. Interesting discussion. And much more...

Very observant of you, however you neglected to mention the reason for this. In affect the radical right would hurt anybody that would suggest abolishing the monarchy, hell even "disrespecting" the Imperial family by the neglecting to mention a member honorific title could get you stabbed.

Now, in that kind of atmosphere, do you really think Japan could have a open discussion about the necessity of the Emperor? I would think not.

Back
Top Bottom