Royals & Nobles Who Died Young

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daggy97

Commoner
City
Krakau
Country
Poland
Which royal and noble people died at young age (until 30)?

Recently I heard about Alessandro Lequito di Assab (1992-2020). Princess Marie Galitzine (1988-2020) was a little older than 30.

Last year Iris Goldsmith (2004-2019) died at quad accident.

In 2016 Chiara Künigl von Ehrenburg (2001-2016) commited suicide after she was bullying at school and internet. She was a descent of German princes of Reuss.

In 2015 died Elisabeth Dennis (1997-2015), a descent of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria. The reason of her death is unknown. I couldn't even set the exact date of her death.

Do you know anyone else?

Princess Maria Galitzine died last month of an a cardiac aneurysm. She was in her early 30's.

ETA:...I noticed that you already mentioned Maria. I apologize.

There are plenty, past and present. I can't give you an exact list, but I have some examples that come to mind.

The five children of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra of Russia are some of the most famous examples. Their ages were 13 to 22 when they were killed along with their parents.

Another one is Astrid of Sweden, Queen consort of the Belgians and King Leopold III's first wife. She was 29 when she died in a car crash.

Two of Kaiser Wilhelm II's brothers also died at a young age. Sigismund was 21 months old when he died of meningitis, and Waldemar was 11 years old when he died of diphtheria.

Last edited:
The best-known royals who died at a young age, in my opinion, were:

Diana, Princess of Wales (36 years old)
Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria (30 years old)
Astrid of Sweden, Queen of the Belgians (29 years old)

I know there's more, but right now I don't remember any more.

Philip Prospero, Prince of Asturias was the son and heir of King Philip IV of Spain. He was born November 28, 1657. He had epilepsy. He died aged three November 1, 1661.

George John Henry Manners, Marquess of Granby (26 June 1807 – 4 August 1807) and George John Frederick Manners, Marquess of Granby (20 August 1813 – 15 June 1814), the eldest and 2nd eldest sons of John Manners, 5th Duke of Rutland, respectively. They died before reaching their 1st birthdays.

Link to Wikipedia page to John Manners, 5th Duke of Rutland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Manners,_5th_Duke_of_Rutland

Robert Charles John Manners, Lord Haddon (1885–1894), the eldest son of Henry Manners, 8th Duke of Rutland (then Marquess of Granby between 1888 and 1906) died at age 9.

Link to Wikipedia page to John Manners, 8th Duke of Rutland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Manners,_8th_Duke_of_Rutland

There were some mysteries on their cause of death. Some, including the Manners family themselves believed there was a curse upon the sons who were heir to the Rutland Dukedom.

I remember:

Marie Antoinette, Queen of France (37 years old)
Mafalda of Savoy Landgravine of Hesse-Kassel (41 years old)

What about Prince Philip's sister Cecilie, the Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine, who was killed with most of her family in a plane crash near Ostend in November 1937? She was 26 and pregnant.

Killed with her were her husband, Grand Duke Georg Donatus, aged 31, and their children, Prince Ludwig aged 6, his brother Prince Alexander aged 4 and Cecilie's unborn baby, who was also found in the ashes.

Left behind on the trip to England for a family wedding was baby Princess Johanna. She died in 1939 of meningitis, at the age of two and a half.

Last edited:
There's also Prince John of the United Kingdom, son of George V and Queen Mary. He died at Wood Farm on January 18, 1919 at the age of 13 from epilepsy.

Most recent I can think of is little Princess Alya of Liechtenstein. The daughter of Prince Rudolph and Princess Tilsim choked to death when she was 1 1/2 years old from reports. That was in 2015.

Ernst August of Hannover's younger brother Ludwig Rudolph committed suicide at 33 in 1988 (yes a bit older then 30 but still). He called the authorities after he found his wife Isabella dead from a drug over dose, failing to revive her. He slipped away when the authorities were there. He called Ernst to ask him to take care of his baby son, before killing himself. He was found in his car dead from carbon monoxide poisoning. His son ended up instead in the care of Isabella's parents who raised him at their family castle.

King Alexander of Greece died from sepsis after being attacked by monkeys when he was 27 years old.

Infante Alonso of Spain, brother of Juan Carlos, died at 15 in a shooting accident involving his brother.

Outside of Europe:

In the Nepal royal massacre all three of the king's children died and the eldest was only 29 (the shooter). They were the youngest victims.
-Dipendra was the oldest of his siblings at 29
-His sister Shruti was 25
-his brother Nirajan was 22

Queen Alia of Jordan, third wife of Hussein and mother of Haya and Ali, died in a helicopter crash at the age of 28.

The Cambodian royals suffered a lot of loss at the hands of Khmer Rouge and the killing fields. Five of the current king's siblings disappeared in 75/76 and ranged in age from 22-30 years of age. He had another sibling who died from leukemia at the age of four. Another brother died of malaria at 29.

Hirohito's daughter Princess Sachiko died at 5 months old from sepsis.

Prince Alexander John of Wales (son of then The Prince and Princess of Wales, later Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) was born on 6 April 1871 and died on 7 April 1871 in Sandringham House.

After Prince John's (George V and Queen Mary's youngest son, Prince Alexander John of Wales' nephew) funeral at St Mary Magdalene Church, Queen Alexandra wrote to Queen Mary that "now [their] two darling Johnnies lie side by side".

Prince William, Duke of Gloucester was the son of Princess (Queen) Anne of England and her spouse, Prince George of Denmark. Prince William died on July 30, 1700. He was eleven years old. If he had survived his mother, he would have been King William IV.

Caroline Mathilde, born Princess UK, married in Denmark, 1751-1775, not yet 24.

Katharina, born in Russia, married twice, first to a Prince of Oldenburg, who died young, married second to a Prince of Württemberg, 1788-1819, 31 years old.

Margaret of Connaugh, married in Sweden, 1892-1930, 38 years old.

Last edited:
I remember:

Marie Antoinette, Queen of France (37 years old)
Mafalda of Savoy Landgravine of Hesse-Kassel (41 years old)
One execution, two car accidents and one case of conscious negligence were to blame for the deaths of these four quite remarkable women.

Princess Alice of Hessen-Darmstadt, third child of Queen Victoria died at 35 in December 14 in 1878, exactly 17 years after her father' s death.
Four weeks earlier her youngest daughter May died of Diphterie at the age of four.
In 1873 her younger son Friedrich Wilhelm "Frittie" died of hemophilia at the age of three after he fell off a window.
In 1866 and 1879 two sons of Crownprincess Victoria of Prussia (later Empress Friedrich), Sigismund and Waldemar died of Meningitis and Diphterie at the age of 23 months and 11 years.
Prince Alfreds son Alfred jun. (young Affie) comitted suicide in 1899.
Also Prince Joachim of Prussia comitted suicide in 1920.
Prince Leopold, Victoria' s youngest son died of hemophilia at the age of 28 in 1884.
Princess Beatrices youngest son was killed in action during WW I. He was the younger brother of Queen Ena of Spain.
Prince Arthur' s only grandson died in his twenties when he fell drunken off a window during a snowy winter day. He was member of the British Army but was obviously mobbed.

Grand Duchess Alexandra Georgievna of Russia,nee Princess Alexandra of Greece and Denmark died aged 21 following childbirth complications.

Prince William, brother of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, was killed in a plane crash in 1972

Grand Duke Alexander Alexandrovich of Russia.
Born 1869, passed away in 1870 from bacterial meningitis shortly before his first birthday.

There's a picture of him on his wikipedia page taken after he passed which always makes me feel sad whenever I see it, bless his little heart.

R.I.P.

King Edward son of Henry the eighth did die young as did Henry Fitzroy. Prince Albert victor died aged twenty eight

Last edited:
Yes, King Edward VI was 15 when he died after a long illness, in 1553.

King Edward V died almost certainly in the Tower of London in 1483, together with his brother Richard. He was 12 and Richard was 10.

Prince Arthur, the eldest son of King Henry VII, died at the age of 15.

The death of Charlotte of wales aged twenty one caused concern over succession. She died in child birth so her son - who may have became king one day - also didn’t survive

Poor Princess Elisabeth of Hesse and by Rhine, who passed away of typhoid fever at the young age of 8. Elisabeth was the daughter of Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coberg and Gotha (known as Ducky), and Ernst Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (known as Ernie).

Prince Charles Ferdinand d'Orleans, Duke of Penthievre (1820-1828) was the son of King Louise Philippe I and Queen Amelie of the French. He died from spasms when he was eight years old.

Prince William Duke of Gloucester died when he was eleven from pneumonia. He was the sole remaining child out of seventeen pregnancies of Queen Anne with her husband Prince George of Denmark.

Emperor Pedro I of Brazil, also King D.Pedro IV of Portugal, died at 35 years old. His daughter from his second marriage to Amélie de Leuchtenberg, Princess Maria Amelia died at only 21 years old, she was engaged to Archduke Maximilian of Austria, who later became Mexico's emperor.

We can also add princess Leila Pahlavi, daughter of the last Shah of Iran, who died at age of 31.

Last edited:
The death of Prince Wenzel (Franz Josef) of Liechtenstein at age 28 is intriguing to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom