Royals at the UEFA EURO Cup , June-July 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess it must have been the lighting but I thought Prince William looked quite gloomy, tired and aged while the much older Prince Frederik was vivid and vibrant, with his Mary and Christian.

Being bald unfortunately doesn't help men to look younger. Frederik has gray hair, but he still has a quite boyish face.

Anyway, it's nice to see that F&M seem to have contact with the British Royal Family having met with British royals at Ascot and now before the UEFA semifinal. A close link with the Scandinavian monarchies has been an important part of English and later British diplomacy for many centuries. And, of course, England and Denmark have a shared history that goes back to the Early Middle Ages.

Last edited:
Some more banter: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5ufFTAXMAcaq8T?format=jpg&name=small

Think Carlsberg. :lol:

- But of course of more immediate interest: did you notice the bargain at Lidl? ;)?

I'm actually surprised M&F met William in person. I thought the incoming UEFA VIP's were supposed to be in a bubble.
And Christian sure is growing into a big lad, with hands like shovels. Wasn't it Tsar Alexander who used to bend horseshoes with his hand for fun?
Christian is gonna dwarf most of his royal contemporaries. There are several who are tall (see the Belgian teens), but I haven't noticed anyone as big as Christian.
I understand it's school off for George this weekend, so he should be able to make it to the finals, but it is arguably a late match for someone so young.
So that leaves pretty much the Wessex children to represent the young in the BRF, right? Louise is a sporty girl, so I guess there is a good chance she will come. (I sense she is getting pretty popular with the public, so that will probably be appreciated.) Don't know about the son though.
It was nice to see William and Frederik, Mary and Christian, though I was equally surprised to see them together. I thought that they the VIP section had some distancing rules.

I think the height is not "real" in that picture. I mean the angle. Mary is just a bit shorter than Catherine, and in the picture with William, Mary seems almost as tall as him. I think the angle deceives us. I doubt Christian reached 1,90cm yet. He is probably around 1,83-1,85. And I'm sure Gabriel of Belgium is taller than Christian. Gabriel is so tall that he could have been a basketball player :cool: (he is probably around the same height as Felipe of Spain, or maybe a little taller).

I think the height is not "real" in that picture. I mean the angle. Mary is just a bit shorter than Catherine, and in the picture with William, Mary seems almost as tall as him. I think the angle deceives us. I doubt Christian reached 1,90cm yet. He is probably around 1,83-1,85.

Crown Prince Frederik is 1,83. Christian is clearly taller than him.
Crown Princess Mary is 172.

The national team is being welcomed home to DK right now.

I wonder of the DRF will cheer them as well?
I can see Frederik and Christian there. But Mary may return to the children in France. - Also because sport is more Frederik's area.

Being bald unfortunately doesn't help men to look younger. Frederik has gray hair, but he still has a quite boyish face.

Anyway, it's nice to see that F&M seem to have contact with the British Royal Family having met with British royals at Ascot and now before the UEFA semifinal. A close link with the Scandinavian monarchies has been an important part of English and later British diplomacy for many centuries. And, of course, England and Denmark have a shared history that goes back to the Early Middle Ages.

They are related, too, even if it's quite distant. The Queen is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, Alexandra after her Danish great-grandmother, and Prince Philip was technically born a Prince of Denmark :flowers:. And the Queen will have known her great-uncle (by marriage), the King of Norway, who was ... let me try to get this right ? ... also Queen Margrethe's great-uncle, if I haven't got muddled!

They are related, too, even if it's quite distant. The Queen is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, Alexandra after her Danish great-grandmother, and Prince Philip was technically born a Prince of Denmark :flowers:. And the Queen will have known her great-uncle (by marriage), the King of Norway, who was ... let me try to get this right ? ... also Queen Margrethe's great-uncle, if I haven't got muddled!

Haakon VII was indeed both Elizabeth and Margrethe's great-uncle, but on Elizabeth's side it was only by marriage, unless you want to include him as her first cousin twice removed. You have to go back up to Christian IX and Louise for a common ancestor.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/bts-royale...ns-moede-med-uefa-boss-det-er-nu-i-skal-bruge

I decided to put this in this thread for two reasons:
A) The article contains a number of good photos of M&F + C at the semi finals.
B) And because the article touch a controversial issue in regards to this championship: UEFA's unwillingness to address LGBT discrimination - exemplified by an official seizing a rainbow flag, and the anti-LGBT legislation in at least one country hosting a match during this championship.

In the photos you will notice Frederik chatting with the President of UEFA, Aleksander Ceferin, who has refused calls for UEFA to take a stand on this issue.
That is something that the author of this article believe Frederik should have addressed or at least he should not have been so friendly towards the UEFA president.

---------

Well, it's not the first time that the royal reporter on this tabloid fails to impress me. He seems unable to understand the basics regarding royals.
M&F were there as guests of UEFA, as official representatives of Denmark.
I don't think it would be... productive... if Frederik were to give the UEFA president a dressing down or expressing critique. That should be for the Danish government to do.
So even suggesting that Frederik should try and play a role. Especially without a mandate from not only the government but the Danish Parliament as well, is very baffling to me.

On a personal note: I firmly believe that politics should not be expressed at major sporting events. It only leads to more controversy and where is the limit?
Because there is always a new issue the athletes will have to relate to then.
It doesn't matter what the issue is IMO. Keep sports and politics separate. If you cannot or will not, don't take part.
What the athletes subscribe to politically is a personal matter and should remain so.

And an example of sportsmanship in time of victory: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRCrnnqBb44/?utm_source=ig_embed
Fergie posting a praise of the DK team.

Considering that she lives at Kensington, close to her ex-man, she's a sort of a semi-BRF member, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
George VI and Olav V were first cousins - both were grandchildren of Edward VII of the UK so not-so-distant. Olav spent quite a bit of time with his British cousins when he was growing up before WWI as Queen Maud spent a great deal of time at her Appleton House on the Sandringham Estate.

There's some debate going on over whether George will be allowed to go to the final tomorrow :) . I suspect they'll decide that it's too late for him, but, hey, these chances don't come along every day, so I hope they let him go!

Queen praises ‘spirit, commitment and pride’ of England team in message ahead of Euros final

(...)

In her message to the team, she said: "Fifty-five years ago I was fortunate to present the World Cup to Bobby Moore and saw what it meant to the players, management and support staff to reach and win the final of a major international football tournament.

"I want to send my congratulations and that of my family to you all on reaching the final of the European Championships, and send my good wishes for tomorrow with the hope that history will record not only your success but also the spirit, commitment and pride with which you have conducted yourselves."

Southgate said it was “fantastic” to get a letter from both the Queen and the Prime Minister and vowed he and the team are “here to win” for the final.

He told reporters at a press conference on Saturday evening: “We want to go and bring the trophy home.”

(...)

May the best team win.

(Though I'm still hoping it'll be Italy, especially after watching their semifinal match vs Spain)

Whatever happens, we're incredibly proud of our team, and grateful to them for giving everyone such a boost after a very difficult 16 months. I'm sure that people in Italy, where they've been fighting this horrible virus longer than anywhere else in Europe, are equally proud of their team. And please, please, don't let it end on penalties!

Whatever happens, we're incredibly proud of our team, and grateful to them for giving everyone such a boost after a very difficult 16 months. I'm sure that people in Italy, where they've been fighting this horrible virus longer than anywhere else in Europe, are equally proud of their team. And please, please, don't let it end on penalties!

I'm with you! No penalty, please, like at all; during the game nor to end it.

Will the Cambridge's both be present there tonight?

Will the Cambridge's both be present there tonight?

Not quite sure. The Duchess will have spent the better part of the day at Wimbledon, though it would be nice if she could make it.

To be honest, she didnt quite seem to be so interested (don't want to stress the term bored...) into the football match than she always seems to be at the center court. Maybe she's better off with tennis while he can enjoy his football match.

I saw a rumor on another board that all three will be there tonight (William, Kate and George). I suppose we'll know in another 75-90 minutes if that rumor is accurate.

Not quite sure. The Duchess will have spent the better part of the day at Wimbledon, though it would be nice if she could make it.

Kate and George will be there with William?

Just saw them heartily singing "God Save the Queen"! Kate looks fabulous again and George is looking quite dapper!

And the tv coverage just zoomed in on them celebrating Shaw's goal in the second minute!

A very!! Happy George for the goal of England!

And little August support!

Italia SI!!!

The Duke of Cambridge:

"Heartbreaking. Congratulations @Azzurri on a great victory.

@england
, you’ve all come so far, but sadly this time it wasn’t our day. You can all hold your heads high, and be so proud of yourselves — I know there’s more to come. W"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom