Royal Family of Montenegro

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the update, Benjamin! There is very little news and information about the royal family of Montenegro, so it is good to have information on the visit to the Vatican.

What is the official website of the Royal family of Montenegro?

Is there any monarchist movement in Montenegro?

Hardly anything.Most people of Montenegro do not even know who is their Prince and not to mention some serious movement.

This is from two years ago?

Princess Altinaï of Montenegro gave an interview in November where she spoke about her experience of discovering the country of her father's ancestors:

Leben | annabelle.ch

Reactions: eya
On 12 May 2007, Boris married Véronique Haillot Canas da Silva (b. 27 July 1976 in São Sebastião da Pedreira, Lisbon, Portugal), architect, daughter of Portuguese engineer António Manuel Martins Canas da Silva (b. 31 October 1949 in São Sebastião da Pedreira, Lisbon, Portugal), and his French wife (m. 29 July 1971 at the Mafra Basilica, Mafra) Anne-Françoise Dominique Haillot (b. 30 December 1950 in Wielseckishen). She has one older brother, Alexandre-Michel Haillot Canas da Silva (b. 16 July 1974 in Glasgow, Scotland) and one younger sister, Laure-Marie Haillot Canas da Silva (b. 26 August 1982 in France). The couple has one daughter:

Miléna, born at Maternité des Lilas, Seine-Saint-Denis, France, on 11 February 2008 at 4:00am.
Véronique holds the Order of Petrovic Njegos, the Order of St. Peter and the Order of Prince Danilo I (Grand Cross).

http://www.almanachdegotha.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/boris-of-montenegro.jpg

How do the people of Montenegro feel about their royal family? Are they glad they came back after their long exile? Do they see them as thieves like other former monarchies? How is the "creeping restoration" I heard in the news a few years earlier, any progress or is it looking as grim as per usual?

-Frozen Royalist

Was King Nicholas of Montenegro politically ambitious for his daughters to make good matches and marry well?

According to the royal family's old website, royalmontenegro.com, as of 2004 there were 21 male Petrovitch-Njegosh's in two other branches of the family, an heirless head of the house can nominate one these as his successor. Alternatively the website says they could appoint a custodian of the Crown or abolish the salic law.

Royal House of Montenegro

The question is not if there are any male descendants, but what is the actual relation of the Montenegran royals to their own society and culture?

First of all, this was a monarchy that started as a 'vladika' principality; which means a semi-theocrasy.. No one argues that it should become the same again, but I see in the wiki profiles of the members of the royal house that they all have zero reference to their confession -are they Orthodox to begin with?

Also, the videos of the 'heir', other than being in hideous english, don't portray any awareness or relation to the culture, the country and the main issues it faces. What would they add to the orientation and identity of Montenegro if they were to assume royal office again? What do they stand for in terms of values, at the end of the day? Shouldn't someone among them talk about these?

Forgive me -and correct me- if I'm wrong, but I see in the members of this family nothing but another group of international jet-setters that just discovered they have a former royal title to use in indulging in their international pr...
And they're going nowhere

Forgive me -and correct me- if I'm wrong, but I see in the members of this family nothing but another group of international jet-setters that just discovered they have a former royal title to use in indulging in their international pr...
And they're going nowhere

If that was what they were after, I'd say we would see a lot more of them than we do...

Would be nice if prince Boris had been on the picture (or did he change so much over the last 4 years that I just don't recognize him?).

He is not in the picture :)

Was King Nicholas of Montenegro politically ambitious for his daughters to make good matches and marry well?

At first, no.

The King (then Prince) had 9 daughters. Their "royal keeping" for unmarried daughters was very expensive for a poor state of Montenegro and they were "too valuable" to marry them off to someone who was a Montenegrin subject as, in that case, his family would "rise above others" and on the other hand, Princesses were "not too valuable" to marry someone from other royal families, as they had neither wealth nor blood ties with anyone.

As they were, at first, destined not to be married, he wanted to build the monastery just for them in an island on Skadar lake, where they would live. He often said:"Ohhh, poor me, what shall I do with all these daughters..."

But, through time, things changed. They were all sent to Russia, Smolny Institute, as protégés of the Russian Emperor to be educated there.

When his first daughter Zorka married Prince Peter, future King of Serbia, King Nicholas thought otherwise.

Once a foreign diplomat asked him: "What can you export from this poor country anyway?" to which he replied, "You underestimate my daughters."

He realized that his daughters were sought through Europe, just because they were tall, dark and had no blood ties to any royal family...This meant that by marrying them, other royal families would straighten their bloodlines ruined by huge amount intermarriages.

The best example is Princess Elena of Montenegro. Prince Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy was the son of first cousins (King Umberto and Queen Margherita were son and daughter of Savoy brothers) and because of that he was only 153cm tall. A marriage with some sickly European Princess who was also a result of intermarriage was out of question and they spotted Princess Elena of Montenegro, who was dark and 180cm tall and who would straighten the Royal bloodline, as Vittorio Emanuele's first cousin and potential heir, Duke of Aosta, was a healthy man, 193cm tall. That's why they chose an insignificant Princess who brought them back "health".

The same was with Grand Duke Peter of Russia, who was a sickly child. His parents wanted a healthy bride and they have chosen Princess Milica of Montenegro, who later became Grand Duchess of Russia. When the marriage occurred it was now her advantage that she was a Princess from an Orthodox, brotherly Slavic country, healthy, tall, dark and wasn't a product of an intermarriage.

The rest of the sisters followed. So, their disadvantage at first became their advantage at last.

Last edited:
Vittorio Emanuele's first cousin and potential heir, Duke of Aosta, was a healthy man, 193cm tall. That's why they chose an insignificant Princess who brought them back "health".

No doubt this kind of thinking did sometimes lead dynasties to make unconventional marriage choices. But just to be clear, inbreeding is not necessarily a recipe for genetic disaster. It is only when families with problematic genetic histories continuously intermarry over generations that overwhelming problems crop up, as happened with the Spanish Habsburgs.

As for King VE, he was unusually short, but in general a solidly healthy man. Queen Elena certainly did contribute height & good looks to the family line, but there is a good chance that VE may have fathered an equally healthy family line even had he married a Bourbon, or Habsburg.

The royal family of Montenegro in exile during the First World War in Lyons, France

That's an exceptionally dull & glum-looking bunch - except for Danilo who broke out in a smile.

Last edited:
Hello
Does anyone know when Princess Antonia, daughter of Hereditary Prince Boris, was born?

No news about this family?

These are relatively private people- neither rich, nor powerful nor high profile “society” types. Like the majority of minor royals, they are the opposite of what today's press prefers to focus on.

Last edited:
As I am interested in anything royal histories, I read and look at a beautiful biography with spectacular old reproduced photographs of the Royal Family of Montenegro, it is a must for Montenegro Petrovic -Njegos Dynasty fans. Title is Nikola & Milena by Marco Houston. (352 pages). Would it be nice to restart kingdoms again in Serbia, Monte Negro, Romania, Albania, Germany, France and other countries?

Back
Top Bottom