Relationship of the Royal Family with The Duchess of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one thing I think has been such a low blow..is to criticize someone for their physical features in a very cruel way and mocking manner. That if anything has to be the most painful to hear.

Re:

Diana really only started deliberately upstaging Charles when she realised the press were enabling her to do it.
If you seriously believe this then fine but with all due respect, I find that statement to be ridiculous. Diana was doing it from day one. Betty Boop eyes, the Geisha pose, the fluttering eyelashes, the innocent facade. She did all that to take away from other members of the Royal Family. She'd done it at home with the Spencers and she tried to do it with the Windsors. And in the end she became unstuck. She just had to be the centre of attention.

Diana did not start doing it from the start. Be rational Beatrixfan. Diana knew what she was getting into and the attention surrounding her but I dont think she become press savy and hungry until she completly realized how much power the media had and the influence she had. It is a low blow to call someone unworthy because of their looks. I think the duchess looks lovely. Like a nice english lady with fun latin interior.

Re:

Diana did not start doing it from the start. Be rational Beatrixfan. Diana knew what she was getting into and the attention surrounding her

I am being rational. She did it from the very beginning. Many people who knew her in her youth have said what a show-off and what a spoilt brat she could be. She was on the world stage now and she was most definately going to play up to the Cameras and be THE princess.

It is a low blow to call someone unworthy because of their looks.

When did I do that then?

I dont think she become press savy and hungry until she completly realized how much power the media had and the influence she had.

If you play with fire expect to set your hat ablaze.

Mary Wellesley said:
never forget it was purchased at the cost of so much heartache to Diana.You seem very certain that public opinion will change towards Camilla? I'm not,she is not Queen Consort material, and I doubt she ever will be.Camilla and Charles should do the decent thing and retire from the line of succession, making it clear the throne goes to William on this Queen's death.That way the House of Windsor might have a chance of survivng the damage these two extremely selfish people have caused it.

Very astute comments Mary!! BRAVO!!!

Camilla is not Queen Consort material in my opinion either. To best sum up my feelings I wish to quote Christopher Wilson from The Windsor Knot:

And Camilla? So determined is Charles to marry his greater love that a remarkable whitewash job, connived at and involving the British Press, i sunder way at the time of this writing (2002). History has been rewritten in Fleet Street so as to conveniently forget that the woman who may, one day, sit beside Charles at his coronation was also the woman who used a honey trap to lure her former lover back into her bed, once her first ambition in life, to marry a calvary officer, had been achieved. . . Married to a Roman Catholic, she was, more than most, aware of the dangers involved in the route she chose to take--NOT FROM A MORAL STANDPOINT, BUT FROM A PURELY PRACTICAL ONE. Once she had the besotted prince back in her grasp, it made the task allotted him--to find a suitable bride--well-nigh impossible. He only had eyes for Camilla. SHE DID NOTHING TO PUSH HIM AWAY. (pp 9).

The point is, no matter who the woman was, there was no hope for this woman when she married Charles unless she was willing to put up with these loveless shams.

Re:

This is the sort of ridiculous press that people must be totally daffy to believe. What on earth has her marrying a Roman Catholic got to do with anything? All you're doing TiaraPrin is quoting a section from a book that tells us that there were affairs, Diana died and Camilla and Charles married. Whats new in that and what is it supposed to prove?

BeatrixFan said:
This is the sort of ridiculous press that people must be totally daffy to believe. What on earth has her marrying a Roman Catholic got to do with anything? All you're doing TiaraPrin is quoting a section from a book that tells us that there were affairs, Diana died and Camilla and Charles married. Whats new in that and what is it supposed to prove?

You didn't read the quote very carefully I can surmise and also, it is your opinion that this author is "daffy". Actually, his book exonerates no one. Obviously, you haven't read it.

Re:

It tells us that Charles and Camilla are getting married, in the authors opinion it's an attempt to push Diana out (hello, the womans dead) and that Charles had an affair with Camilla when she was married to APB who happened to be a Roman Catholic.

Thats not new. Its old news and information churned up and spat out in a new text.

Or....you can surmise that any other woman who married him other than Camilla may have had to deal with the same issues....

Re:

Again, old news that has been played out time and time again.

Yes...but all this could have been avoided had he stood up to certain people and did not dilly dally on making decisions in regards to marriage.

We all have heard the 'if onlys'

If only Lord Mountbatten had been alive at the time, he would not have married Diana...

If only Prince Philip had not pushed him into it...

If only the courtiers would for once just shut up and let a royal make up their own minds...

No one is in the right....

Since Camilla has become a senior member of the firm she has showed nothing but utter grace and perfection in her royal duties as a consort to the heir. If that is not Queen Consort materiel than the whole royal family is doomed to hell. When I said it is not right to judge someone by their looks I ment people putting Camilla down cause she is not as sexy and glam as Diana. Diana is dead. Repeat that ten times and take a deep breath. She is gone. No matter how many times you look at her pictures and read her stories and watch her on TV she is never coming back. Charles or Camilla did not cause pain to Diana. Diana was a women going through a divorce. She obviously knew she had the upper hand not being a born royal. In no way did she want to seem as a bad wife. She did not want the blame for the break up of the marriage on her so she shifted the blame to Charles and Camilla. Come on people. She was a distressed women getting a divorce who would not take responsibilty.

Lady Marmalade said:
Or....you can surmise that any other woman who married him other than Camilla may have had to deal with the same issues....

Thank you Lady Marmalade, you understood the post.

Well, you assume Camilla would have married him if he'd asked back in the 1970s. I mean, look at what happened to Charles's relationship with Davina Sheffield when the existence of one former lover came to light; the press would have had a field day with Camilla's past. It would have mattered a lot more then than it does now. Plus, if she wanted the life of a country lady without endless constraints, she wouldn't be keen to marry Charles.

Unfortunately she thought she could have her cake and eat it by marrying someone else and continuing her relationship with Charles; now she's in this position, and while she's doing a very good job of it, I'm not sure it's one that such a private person would have wanted.

Princejonnhy25 said:
Since Camilla has become a senior member of the firm she has showed nothing but utter grace and perfection in her royal duties as a consort to the heir. If that is not Queen Consort materiel than the whole royal family is doomed to hell. When I said it is not right to judge someone by their looks I ment people putting Camilla down cause she is not as sexy and glam as Diana. Diana is dead. Repeat that ten times and take a deep breath. She is gone. No matter how many times you look at her pictures and read her stories and watch her on TV she is never coming back. Charles or Camilla did not cause pain to Diana. Diana was a women going through a divorce. She obviously knew she had the upper hand not being a born royal. In no way did she want to seem as a bad wife. She did not want the blame for the break up of the marriage on her so she shifted the blame to Charles and Camilla. Come on people. She was a distressed women getting a divorce who would not take responsibilty.

Charles and Camilla are blameless? Please! All three have the blame!

Re:

We all have heard the 'if onlys'

Exactly! So why keep bashing out the same old tune on the drum? The if onlys mean nothing now.

PrinceJohnny25 - put perfectly. Well Said. :)

Elspeth said:
Well, you assume Camilla would have married him if he'd asked back in the 1970s. I mean, look at what happened to Charles's relationship with Davina Sheffield when the existence of one former lover came to light; the press would have had a field day with Camilla's past. It would have mattered a lot more then than it does now. Plus, if she wanted the life of a country lady without endless constraints, she wouldn't be keen to marry Charles.

Unfortunately she thought she could have her cake and eat it by marrying someone else and continuing her relationship with Charles; now she's in this position, and while she's doing a very good job of it, I'm not sure it's one that such a private person would have wanted.

I know. Did you ever read the story about what Prince Philip allegedly did to Sabrina Guinness so she would stop seeing Prince Charles?

In many respects, it has been because of the treatment towards him, the poor man could not make up his mind.

Elspeth said:

I have read that he did ask Camilla, and she said no because she was really after Andrew Parker Bowles (and she knew that as a girl with a past she would have been deemed unacceptable).

I did not say Charles was blameless. I just said Diana did not want the press to portray her as a bad wife and mother. So she put the blame on Charles and Camilla. I think Camilla has no fault in the break up of the marriage. It is completly Diana and Charles fault. They both were immature, lonely, brats who wanted love and fame. Charles found it in Camilla and that calmed him down. Diana found it in other places and men. Diana was still growing and at the top of her fame when she tragically died. Sadly, she was never able to settle down like Charles and I think that is why people do not like Charles and Camilla. They settled down and had the good life. But, maybe Diana did not want to settle down and have the man of her dreams. She had a family, an ex husband who is a great father and friend, maybe she just wanted to have fun and live her life outside the trappings of royalty. She is gone and nothing can be changed.

I agree that Camilla probably didn't want to marry Charles. As hard as it is to believe, I think her marriage to him was a sacrifice of sorts.

Quite frankly, I see the Queen behind the push for marriage and the seeming push to get Camilla accepted as Queen. From her vantage point, otherwise she's going to leave her throne to an heir that for all intents and purposes has a morganatic wife (I know the marriage is not morganatic but with the Princess Consort title, it gives that effect) and that's not a good situation.

If she's able to get Camilla accepted as the next Queen, there will still be talk about Diana but the Queen will have achieved what she wanted in the first place, to leave the throne to the next King and his Queen. They don't need to be wildly popular but they do need to seem competent for the job.

Then the Queen can feel that she has done all she can for the success of the monarchy and she can live out the rest of her reign in peace.

That's an interesting perspective. The accepted wisdom relies on Prince Charles as the only one pushing for the marriage. It doesn't even matter who wished for the marriage more, the fact that they are married settled a knotting issue for the monarchy.

ysbel said:
I agree that Camilla probably didn't want to marry Charles. As hard as it is to believe, I think her marriage to him was a sacrifice of sorts.

Quite frankly, I see the Queen behind the push for marriage and the seeming push to get Camilla accepted as Queen. From her vantage point, otherwise she's going to leave her throne to an heir that for all intents and purposes has a morganatic wife (I know the marriage is not morganatic but with the Princess Consort title, it gives that effect) and that's not a good situation.

If she's able to get Camilla accepted as the next Queen, there will still be talk about Diana but the Queen will have achieved what she wanted in the first place, to leave the throne to the next King and his Queen. They don't need to be wildly popular but they do need to seem competent for the job.

Then the Queen can feel that she has done all she can for the success of the monarchy and she can live out the rest of her reign in peace.

I think this is a really interesting perspective ysabel. And I agree with it a lot.

I've always believed that Camilla didn't really want to marry Charles. Yes she loves Charles and wants to spend the rest of her life with him, but was marriage necessary to put a stamp on their relationship in her eyes? No.

I think the push came from Charles via the Queen to make things right and make things traditional -- even if the route of arrival wasn't conventional. Any married King and Queen is better in the eyes of Queen Elizabeth II than a King and his former mistress at his side.

I think too that there is some expectation/hope that in time the dalliances and transgressions will be less memorable. Unlikely to think that Charles and Camilla's affairs will ever be forgotten, but in time diminished in memory and less of a factor, especially if by the time Charles becomes King he and Camilla have been married for 10 years or so. And by then, William and Harry will be seriously dating, even married, so the majority of the focus will be on them rather than their father and Camilla, King and Queen or not.

Well Alexandria and Incas, I can't claim any great insight here and I may be wrong. I was totally fooled by the Princess Consort business at first. ;)

But when Camilla came out with the Dehli Durbar tiara that had only been worn by two reigning Queen Consorts, I figured that only the Queen could have done that. It was her tiara and if she had wanted to set Camilla up as the future Princess Consort she could have given Camilla another tiara. The tiara may not have the significance we ascribe to it but I can't see how it doesn't.

Plus I just couldn't see Camilla going to the Queen and begging, "Can I please, please, please wear the Delhi Durbar tonight?" No, no, no, that is just not Camilla. :D

ysbel said:
But when Camilla came out with the Dehli Durbar tiara that had only been worn by two reigning Queen Consorts, I figured that only the Queen could have done that. It was her tiara and if she had wanted to set Camilla up as the future Princess Consort she could have given Camilla another tiara. The tiara may not have the significance we ascribe to it but I can't see how it doesn't.

Plus I just couldn't see Camilla going to the Queen and begging, "Can I please, please, please wear the Delhi Durbar tonight?" No, no, no, that is just not Camilla. :D

I think Camilla wearing the Dehli Durbar tiara at the Norwegian visit was a very loud and clear message from the Queen, even if indirectly. Camilla will be Queen, no matter what title she uses now. And perhaps the Queen's acceptance of Camilla as the future Queen is a nod or "permission" for the rest of her subjects to come around to this. There will of course be some resistance, but if the Queen has come to terms with it, then the rest should follow suit.

I've always felt that the Queen's acceptance of Camilla as a daughter in law is one thing. She is a mom and wants her son to be happy afterall as all moms would. But whether the Queen would accept Camilla as Queen of a country she's worked so hard for was another matter altogether. But the recent appearance of Camilla in that tiara has removed any remaining doubts I might've had about this, too.

I don't think Camilla would ever go and beg the Queen to be dripping in jewels either. That has never seemed Camilla's thing. Perhaps she was even uncomfortable wearing such a grand piece of jewellery and a tiara of such importance.

On this note, I also think that all these articles lately about "Camilla Chic" and Camilla's country fashion sense makes her rather uncomfortable. That has never seemed her thing -- to be conscientious of her fashion choices and designers. It may be the thing for other princesses who care about such things but Camilla has never seemed the sort who does and just wants to go about her business.

On the news this morning they were commenting about all the outfits Camilla had taken on her trip to the U.S. Even the news commentators commented that this seemed excessive for eight days for someone like Camilla. All this spiraled into a discussion about how if Camilla had her way she probably would've brought 10 outfits -- one for each day plus two to spare -- and been done with it. She would've shown up for all her scheduled events, happy to be two steps behind Charles and let him take the spotlight. But that the one thing Camilla probably wanted least -- to be in the spotlight -- is the one thing that will most certainly happen. I think that the description of what Camilla wants -- to let Charles be in the spotlight -- is exactly the sort of thing the Queen would approve of as a role for Camilla. Not because she was once Charles' mistress, but because that is what good consorts do.

I think that in her own quiet, understated way Camilla will change the monarchy. It won't be a change of leaps and bounds, but subtle changes that will have an impact on the roles played by William and Harry's wives.

What seems amazing to me is that Camilla is finally coming across in the press as someone who is very comfortable in her own skin. Yes, she is dressing up more. But I get the sense that she is doing it for Charles, to make him look good. It's the press that made more hay out of her lack of interest in fashion, rather than her own discomfort. I find it admirable for any woman who can still maintain her self-confidence inspite of being judged for so long as lacking in physical attraction.

Mapple said:
Maybe it is her genuine desire to be Princess Consort; but maybe it was a PR move to stave off criticism.

I don't doubt Camilla would have preferred to take a lower profile as Princess Consort and has no ambition or desire to be Queen. But, she is a member of the royal family now and understands she has responsibilities as consort to Charles, both as Prince of Wales and King. She will grow into her role and be a good Queen.

Here are more peaceful and progressive opinions to see Charles and Camilla's future as King and Princess Consort. I am very glad that more and more people begin to accept Camilla as Chareles' wife and wish them good. I admire Prince Charles's achievements as Prince of Wales and I believe he will be a good King if he is given the chance. Camilla will certainly support Charels to achieve the goal of his life. Charles always needs a wife to support him and share his burden to be the future King. I wish he has found in Camilla. The Queen, the government, the church are compassionate to see this key point. I am really happy for that.
Edward VIII said he cannot be King without a woman he loved beside him. I am glad the history will not repeat when Charles becomes King. It is a big step for modernise the monarch. William and Harry will learn from his parents' mistakes and make better judgements for their future marriages. I hope that Charles and Camilla will be more accpetable by the public in future years.

Re;

Camilla has been friends with Princess Alexandra for many many years and sat with her at the Golden Jubilee 'Prom/Party at the Palace' and is a frequent visitor to Thatched House Lodge. She was at Angus Ogilvy's funeral as well.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
As The Duchess of Cornwall has become a member of the Royal Family for 3 months and had appeared together with other members of the Royal Family several times,so giving your opinion that how do you think of the relationship between other members of the Royal Family with the Duchess of Cornwall?
Daily Mail had an article that said she doesn't really have a relationship with any of the Royals.Apparently Camilla went to the Garter ceremony at Windsor by car with the Duchess of Gloucester but deserted her without explanation to make the return journey in Charles's carriage with him.Same article said Camilla doesn't like Sophie Wessex and calls her an "irrelevance"and was annoyed to be put in the carriage with her at Trooping the Colour in June.Anne it is said is very cool with Camilla out of loyalty to Andrew Parker Bowles her former love.Anne didn't talk to Diana either and was reported as snubbing Cherie Blair recently.Is there anyone Anne does talk to?That leaves the Queen and the Mail article said Camilla is scared of her and visibly shakes if she enters the room.True or not you can't have a relationship with someone who has that effect on you.Camilla's sister Annabel Elliot is a regular visitor to all her homes,but none of the Royals have been invited so far.Annabel helped Charles and Camilla to keep their affair going and has also taken on work redecorating Duchy of Cornwall properties for the Prince which never went out to tender.No one will say what she was paid.

Mary Wellesley said:
Daily Mail had an article that said she doesn't really have a relationship with any of the Royals.
Seems to be quite an extensive hatchet job, eh? Written by Richard Kay by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom