Regnal names in the Dutch royal family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe she will reign as Queen Carharina-Amalia, but personally I would like her to be known as Queen Beatrix II ( after all, Beatrix is also one of her names).

I don't see her choosing to reign by one of her other names, even Beatrix. The Dutch don't have a history of choosing a reignal name. WA was simply a debate whether he would drop Alexander and join the line of Willems. I think the only debate will be if she rules as Queen Catharina or Queen Catharina-Amalia.

She will be Queen Catharina-Amalia. That is the name she is registered with. With hypen "like in my name" as her father added during the registration ceremony.

When Willem-Alexander got king, he said in an interview prior to the inauguration that Willem-Alexander is his name and is the name he is known for. Therefore he choose Willem-Alexander as his name as king.

Catharina-Amalia is known as "simple" Amalia. So I guess she will be Queen Amalia.

Prince Willem-Alexander was called Alexander. His own father litterally said during the registration in 1967: "His names are Willem-Alexander Claus Georg Ferdinand. We call him: Alexander."

When Prince Willem-Alexander registered his daughter in 2003, he stated: "Her names are Catharina-Amalia, with an hyphen like in my name, Beatrix Carmen Victoria". In contrary to his father, he did not say what her calling name was.

Despite the calling name "Alexander", the regnal name became Willem-Alexander. "That is my name.", the Prince said in an interview.

The State Information Agency (RVD) stated: "Zodra de Prins van Oranje de troon bestijgt, is zijn oudste kind, Hare Koninklijke Hoogheid Prinses Catharina-Amalia, de eerste in lijn en daarmee de troonopvolger. Zij is vanaf dat moment de Prinses van Oranje."

("Once the Prince of Orange ascends the throne, his oldest child, Her Royal Highness Princess Catharina-Amalia, is the first in line and thus the heir to the throne. From that moment she is the Princess of Orange")

The pertinent use of the double name in communications is -for me- an indication that she will be known as Her Majesty Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria, by the grace of God Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Etc., Etc,. Etc.

In Catharina-Amalia's name, was Amalia after Amalia of Solms-Braunfels, the wife of Frederick Henry, the Prince of Orange?

No idea. It is a frequent name in the family tree.

Amalia van Oranje-Nassau born von Solms-Braunfels

Henriette-Amalia van Oranje-Nassau

Amalia von Sachsen-Weimar born von Nassau-Dietz

Henriette-Amalia von Nassau-Dietz born von Anhalt-Dessau

Amalia der Nederlanden, van Oranje-Nassau born von Sachsen-Weimar und Eisenach

Catharina-Amalia der Nederlanden, van Oranje-Nassau

Amalia von Nassau

Etc.

Last edited:
Catharina-Amalia may be known as Queen Amalia to honor the early Dutch royal ladies who had Amalia as part of their name.

Who knows what name she will chose. W-A has always been known as "W-A" but it's the opposite with Amalia - at times I forget she's "Catharina-Amalia."

I have a question - while she has five names, can she choose something separate and apart from her given names as her regnal name? Juliana or Wilhemina, for example?

All Stadtholders, Kings and Queens have used their usual name. Not one of them had chosen a regnal name different than their name before the kingship. All those Willems, Maurits, Frederik Hendrik, Johan Willem Friso, Wilhelmina, Juliana, Beatrix, etc. None of them had a different name.

Juliana and Wilhelmina are no part of Catharina-Amalia's names so it is extremely unlikely these will be used. Her names are Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria.

By the way: officially her father was always "The Prince of Orange". His long name "Prince Willem-Alexander" was seldom used. The same will happen with their daughter and her long name, already officially" The Princess of Orange" and she will become "The Queen". So her names will not often be used.

The King was asked: why not to be known as Willem IV or Alexander? He said: "Willem-Alexander" IS my name. For him it was that simple.

Last edited:
I believe that Amalia will be Queen Catharina-Amalia. Even though she is now The Princess of Orange, she is sometimes referred to as Princess Catharina-Amalia. Her monogram has the initial C and the initial A.

:previous:

Beatrix was supposed to be Wilhelmina II. At least that was said in her youth.

Was Beatrix just chosen because her parents liked it? Or was it a family name on her father’s side or popular in the past in the NRF?

Juliana said that she chose it due to it's meaning: She who brings happiness.

Irene was chosen for i's meaning too: peace. Just when WWII was starting.

Margriet (Daisy) was chosen as the flower was a symbol for the resistance movement.

None of the names have a particular history in the Dutch RF. Juliana's name herself was of course a tribute to the mother of William of Orange.

Catharina-Amalia could be Queen Catharina Amalia with the stipulation that she does not want her name hyphenated. ???

Her name is hyphenated, so why would she request that the hyphen would be removed?

I don't see her choosing to reign by one of her other names, even Beatrix. The Dutch don't have a history of choosing a reignal name. WA was simply a debate whether he would drop Alexander and join the line of Willems. I think the only debate will be if she rules as Queen Catharina or Queen Catharina-Amalia.

I don't think even the latter is a debate. She will reign as Queen Catharina-Amalia and like now remain known to her family and friends as Amalia. Exactly the same set-up as her father.

She will be Queen Catharina-Amalia. That is the name she is registered with. With hypen "like in my name" as her father added during the registration ceremony.

Exactly!

When Willem-Alexander got king, he said in an interview prior to the inauguration that Willem-Alexander is his name and is the name he is known for. Therefore he choose Willem-Alexander as his name as king.

Catharina-Amalia is known as "simple" Amalia. So I guess she will be Queen Amalia.

Catharina-Amalia may be known as Queen Amalia to honor the early Dutch royal ladies who had Amalia as part of their name.

Nope, she won't. As Duc_et_Pair explained, Willem-Alexander isn't called Willem-Alexander in daily life but Alexander (or Alex for short, I assume). However, his name is Willem-Alexander and he has always been referred to as such by the court if applicable (most of the time 'prince of Orange' was used); so that's his name as king as well.

she could in theory be Beatrix II

It seems in style she will be a second Beatrix but in name she will most definitely not. I have no doubt that she will use her official name, which is Catharina-Amalia.

she could in theory be Beatrix II

I doubt that. Royals rarely change their names when become monarchs. And nowadats it probably would be even rarer since they have been known with their name whole of their life by millions and millions of people probably already several years. And there is not reason why she would change anyway. Even Charles didn't change his name despite lot of speculations.

Juliana said that she chose it due to it's meaning: She who brings happiness.

Irene was chosen for i's meaning too: peace. Just when WWII was starting.

Margriet (Daisy) was chosen as the flower was a symbol for the resistance movement.

None of the names have a particular history in the Dutch RF. Juliana's name herself was of course a tribute to the mother of William of Orange.

Thanks for the reply, Marengo. I did wonder, because none of Princess Beatrix’s godmothers had the name, nor did her mother or either grandmother. The 1930s was a strange, unsettled time so the girls’ parents chose their names well I think.

Willem Alexander should be named Willem IV instead

Back
Top Bottom