Queen Noor- News Thread III

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maryshawn said:
Oh, she's definitely earned her free time or time to spend relaxing or with her family. She worked hard as Queen; she worked hard before that in Iran and Jordan. If she's taking advantage of that and is enjoying herself, that's great. I find her very hard to read though. I don't know if she's fully come to grips with her role as Queen, but really in name only. Her book gave her a focus and the tours to promote it kept her busy. But this is a woman who said she "panicked when she saw all the blank spots in her diary of official activities" in the 80s when the riots were occuring in Jordan. So there's a part of me which feels she needs to feel needed. So now how best to utilize her time and talents to feel professionally and personally satisfied? Her almost listless approach to her foundation, the KHF, and her website makes me wonder how focused and satisfied she is now. But I could be wrong; perhaps she likes her life just as it is.

i was wondering about her last speech I add here - that was the first time she didnt speak SO WELL about her husband - dont you think so?
normally she takes him in heaven - how wonderfull and unique and special he was - but this time - it seems more true - that it was hard with him too and so.... it was the first time that i read her saying such things - so maybe ... i wouldnt say finished with all this - but it seems a bit too me - like she changed things and doesnt feel like the queen anymore so much ( a bit i think she still does - cause she has the title)

I was a bit befuddled by her saying something to the effect it was "hard dealing with her husband's higher profile." That was definitely "off point" with QN's standard remarks about KH, where he is the best King, husband, father,........ What did she expect when she was a 26 year old American marrying a man who had been King for 20 years or more? Of course, he's going to get the lion's share of attention. I've long wondered if she feels KH left her kind of flailing as a Queen but not one with any power and with no direction. She spends so little time in Jordan now--it seems to me--is this some way of lashing out or showing frustration with her life? She has stated she thought they "would have 15 or 20 more years together." It seems she was totally unprepared for life after KH--although, given their age difference, his bouts with cancer and the fact he was a walking target for extremists--you would think any sensible person might have been lending some thought to a future without him. It's rather odd. But getting back to your original statement, I, too, read it and thought ?????? where is this coming from and why now?:confused:
closesttoheaven said:
i was wondering about her last speech I add here - that was the first time she didnt speak SO WELL about her husband - dont you think so?
normally she takes him in heaven - how wonderfull and unique and special he was - but this time - it seems more true - that it was hard with him too and so.... it was the first time that i read her saying such things - so maybe ... i wouldnt say finished with all this - but it seems a bit too me - like she changed things and doesnt feel like the queen anymore so much ( a bit i think she still does - cause she has the title)

maryshawn said:
I was a bit befuddled by her saying something to the effect it was "hard dealing with her husband's higher profile." That was definitely "off point" with QN's standard remarks about KH, where he is the best King, husband, father,........ What did she expect when she was a 26 year old American marrying a man who had been King for 20 years or more? Of course, he's going to get the lion's share of attention. I've long wondered if she feels KH left her kind of flailing as a Queen but not one with any power and with no direction. She spends so little time in Jordan now--it seems to me--is this some way of lashing out or showing frustration with her life? She has stated she thought they "would have 15 or 20 more years together." It seems she was totally unprepared for life after KH--although, given their age difference, his bouts with cancer and the fact he was a walking target for extremists--you would think any sensible person might have been lending some thought to a future without him. It's rather odd. But getting back to your original statement, I, too, read it and thought ?????? where is this coming from and why now?:confused:

Just wanted to make a few points here.

I think she mean't that she found it hard to deal with the lack of privacy perhaps?

As 4her 'dropping' causes or not focusing on them as much, i think that she still does them but she just isn't getting the publicity anymore. She's queen in name only now.

Also I think that her saying that

"would have 15 or 20 more years together."
the thing is that it seems to me that QN has always been an optimist and truely believed that they would have longer together. She's always described KH like he was some sort of God (i'm not saying this is wrong), but i don't think we shouldn't read anything into her comments.

Mayb she doesn't do as much charity work bcuz she doesn't want to take the focus away from QR?!!! I'm confused. Perhaps the press don't focus on her anymore bcuz she is no longer queen and it's been 6 years since KH died. The press is fading, i guess it's natural.

Is it true that she hardly goes to Jordan anymore? If so how sad!!! She has spent a good 20 something years there, built up charities etc, so i wud assume she wud want2 go back as often as she can. On the other hand the promotion of her book has sent her all over the place. Who knows!!

Does any1 know how often she does go to Jordan?:confused:

I READ SOMEWHERE THAT SHE VISITS ONCE A MONTH.

I think the last few years have been hard on QN. Her husband's died. Her kids have flown the nest (so to speak) and the role that has defined her for late 70's, in the 80's and 90's has gone. She is no longer queen and still trying to define herself. Without upsetting KA & QR. Also she must have been crushed when she found out that PH was not going tb the CP anymore!!

I don't think she will have another relationship again. It seems to me that KH was her life, she practically hero worshipped and his death has left (it seems to me) a huge, big gaping hole in her life.

What do u all think?

I think of a quote I've heard "It's hard being poor; but it's harder being poor after having been rich." I'm extrapolating from that to sum up my thoughts about Queen Noor's current situation. I think perhaps you are right about her optimistic outlook when she said "wistfully, 'I had thought we would have 15 or 20 more years together.'" She has lost the man around whom she crafted her life for 21 years. After the initial chaos and shared grieving surrounding his passing, when QN was surrounded by sympathetic people who shared her grief--and she found a role in comforting them, as she states "He would have wanted her to do"--the focus has inevitably shifted and she seems very much alone. I don't know if it is her choice or lagging media interest or what which is driving her solitude and seeming isolation. There's a part of me which feels badly for her and another which wants to sit her down and say "OK, there are things you can do. Sitting in Aspen isn't fulfilling; get out there and use your skills to continue to do some meaningful work!" I think I also posted, however, that I had lunch with a woman who has been grieving her husband for more years than QN and she says it still feels like a "fresh wound."

QN also lost the other man who was a guiding force in her life: Her father. So, in five years, she lost both of the men she respected and loved tremendously.

I honestly don't know how often she is in Jordan and would also appreciate someone clarifying this. I have read she said she splits her time evenly between the US, UK and Jordan. I have also read she is scarcely ever in Jordan. Which version is true today?

Her mother is getting older so I guess that is one reason why QN would elect to spend more time in the US. Her sister, Alexa, is, by all accounts, her closest friend. Alexa is also in the US. Noor's children are older and off forging their own lives. The book tour is over.

I honestly don't know what the "solution" or reality is. Is QN happy/content with the way things are? Is she frustrated and depressed and still mourning a life that died with her husband--as much as she mourns her husband? When he died, she lost a lot. Not just a husband but a whole style of life, power derived from being wife of a reigning monarch, That's got to be quite a shift.

When I read she had sold their Washington DC home to move into a rented one, I could understand her explanation for the need to downsize. She said she really didn't require all that space anymore as she has a greatly reduced staff and is not entertaining as a Queen. But it troubled me when she said in Ms. magazine, she had stored all of their furniture and belongings and the only things which were hers in her new rental were her books and clothes and a few photos on the refrigerator. I don't understand why she would wish to blot out so many mementoes of their life together. We all have favorite things which make us feel more comfortable as they have history; yet she is living amidst rented couches, paintings, and other things. I would have thought she would want to downscale but keep touches/remembrances of KH around her.

maryshawn said:
I think of a quote I've heard "It's hard being poor; but it's harder being poor after having been rich." I'm extrapolating from that to sum up my thoughts about Queen Noor's current situation. I think perhaps you are right about her optimistic outlook when she said "wistfully, 'I had thought we would have 15 or 20 more years together.'" She has lost the man around whom she crafted her life for 21 years. After the initial chaos and shared grieving surrounding his passing, when QN was surrounded by sympathetic people who shared her grief--and she found a role in comforting them, as she states "He would have wanted her to do"--the focus has inevitably shifted and she seems very much alone. I don't know if it is her choice or lagging media interest or what which is driving her solitude and seeming isolation. There's a part of me which feels badly for her and another which wants to sit her down and say "OK, there are things you can do. Sitting in Aspen isn't fulfilling; get out there and use your skills to continue to do some meaningful work!" I think I also posted, however, that I had lunch with a woman who has been grieving her husband for more years than QN and she says it still feels like a "fresh wound."

QN also lost the other man who was a guiding force in her life: Her father. So, in five years, she lost both of the men she respected and loved tremendously.

I honestly don't know how often she is in Jordan and would also appreciate someone clarifying this. I have read she said she splits her time evenly between the US, UK and Jordan. I have also read she is scarcely ever in Jordan. Which version is true today?

Her mother is getting older so I guess that is one reason why QN would elect to spend more time in the US. Her sister, Alexa, is, by all accounts, her closest friend. Alexa is also in the US. Noor's children are older and off forging their own lives. The book tour is over.

I honestly don't know what the "solution" or reality is. Is QN happy/content with the way things are? Is she frustrated and depressed and still mourning a life that died with her husband--as much as she mourns her husband? When he died, she lost a lot. Not just a husband but a whole style of life, power derived from being wife of a reigning monarch, That's got to be quite a shift.

When I read she had sold their Washington DC home to move into a rented one, I could understand her explanation for the need to downsize. She said she really didn't require all that space anymore as she has a greatly reduced staff and is not entertaining as a Queen. But it troubled me when she said in Ms. magazine, she had stored all of their furniture and belongings and the only things which were hers in her new rental were her books and clothes and a few photos on the refrigerator. I don't understand why she would wish to blot out so many mementoes of their life together. We all have favorite things which make us feel more comfortable as they have history; yet she is living amidst rented couches, paintings, and other things. I would have thought she would want to downscale but keep touches/remembrances of KH around her.

many things I agree.
but I hope she isnt still that sad.and I think she has friends around - she often dates jim kimsey and so on... i mean date between normal friends - they do sports together watching tv and go to parties together - think thats all known - and i think there are other friends too.she is on the most invited list form washington d.c.
well thats nothing...great but ... that means she goes out and makes party and so on and doesnt live only a life in depression.

what do you mean with rent a couch?well i know you rent a flat and a house and so on - but a couch - and a bed?!
i cant imagine that she sleeps in a rented bed?!:eek: :rolleyes:
or do I understand anything wrong :confused:

but i a bit i think - and i have to say - i dont have a good opinion of king hussein as husband - that KH didnt care much for noor and her life after him...
shes not really poor - and dont know if it is really important to her to be rich - cause she lived such a down life when she was young and met the king...
but i think he left her - and didnt gave her much on the way - i dont mean money - i mean a real home in jordan (not only the house there) - and some words....

I think she does get out and about with friends like Jim Kimsey. And perhaps she gets together with her old friends she met in high school or college as she once said she regretted not spending much time with them during her first decade as Queen and they will be "my friends till my last day."

I went back and reread the Ms. interview to see the exact quote. She says "everything here, except for my books, is rented." I think they were part of the house. I wonder when/if she will ever own her own home in the US again. It was reported four years ago she put in an offer on Calvin Klein, the designer's home on Long Island but it was declined. Gossips said she offered $50 million for it; I can't believe that or that if she offered that much, he'd turn it down. Perhaps he put it on the market with no real intention to sell unless he got a really outrageous offer.

I agree with what you said--and you said it better--about KH not leaving her much. Money, yes. Some homes, yes. But he didn't seem to think through her position after his death. I suppose making Hamzah CP he thought that would help but he left her rather purposeless. But that was like he treated her from the first moments of her marriage when she said "he threw me in the deep end and let me figure out for myself what the role of Queen should be. While that was good in some ways, it was also challenging." I definitely agree KH was not good husband material--for anyone! I think I'm one of many who wonders why all the marriages and kids--when he seemed to enjoy the attention of many other women ("King Hussein" by Roland Dallas is one source, saying he had "a fondness for British nannies; even Queen Alia had suffered at his hands for his indiscretions.") and also was a reasonably good dad when with the kids but really didn't spend a lot of time with them. He played favorites, too. Abdullah when he was born was the favorite only to be suplanted by Ali, then Hamzah. When KH was married to QA, an eyewitness on this forum saw them in the front row of an event with Abir and Haya (Ali wasn't yet born) while his other children were seated a number of rows behind them. The same happened with KH/QN; their kids joined them front and center and the others, including Abir, Haya and Ali were relegated to being seated elsewhere. I find that bewildering....and hurtful to the kids. Clearly, he could have insisted all the kids were seated near him had he been so inclined, right?
closesttoheaven said:
many things I agree.
but I hope she isnt still that sad.and I think she has friends around - she often dates jim kimsey and so on... i mean date between normal friends - they do sports together watching tv and go to parties together - think thats all known - and i think there are other friends too.she is on the most invited list form washington d.c.
well thats nothing...great but ... that means she goes out and makes party and so on and doesnt live only a life in depression.

what do you mean with rent a couch?well i know you rent a flat and a house and so on - but a couch - and a bed?!
i cant imagine that she sleeps in a rented bed?!:eek: :rolleyes:
or do I understand anything wrong :confused:

but i a bit i think - and i have to say - i dont have a good opinion of king hussein as husband - that KH didnt care much for noor and her life after him...
shes not really poor - and dont know if it is really important to her to be rich - cause she lived such a down life when she was young and met the king...
but i think he left her - and didnt gave her much on the way - i dont mean money - i mean a real home in jordan (not only the house there) - and some words....

Queen Noor and Jim Kimsey

Ok, I myself was absolutely shocked last week to read that Queen Noor is dating again.:eek: Did you guys know that already?

apparently the lucky guy is Jim Kimsey they are on the boards of a bunch of the same charities including Refugees International.

he lives in dc like her, is a major philanthropist and chairman of among other things the Washington Opera.

I've heard conflicting account: he is either a beer import magnate or helped found aol. does anyone know?

so what else does anyone know about them?

is it true or is it a fiction invented by Washington's desperately undernourished gossip columnists?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is true, I'm happy for Queen Noor. She's still a fairly young woman. She shouldn't be obligated to spend the rest of her life alone simply because she is the widow of a king. I'm sure no one would ever doubt her love for King Hussein!

Yes, I have heard for a while that Nuur is dating Jim Kinsey. It´s nice for her!
It´s nothing shocking about it...

well,I don't know,I feel like QN is the type that thinks a million times before doing anything,so I don't really buy this. A friend is possible but a date,umm,I find it a bit too much to believe.

maryshawn said:
I think she does get out and about with friends like Jim Kimsey. And perhaps she gets together with her old friends she met in high school or college as she once said she regretted not spending much time with them during her first decade as Queen and they will be "my friends till my last day."

I went back and reread the Ms. interview to see the exact quote. She says "everything here, except for my books, is rented." I think they were part of the house. I wonder when/if she will ever own her own home in the US again. It was reported four years ago she put in an offer on Calvin Klein, the designer's home on Long Island but it was declined. Gossips said she offered $50 million for it; I can't believe that or that if she offered that much, he'd turn it down. Perhaps he put it on the market with no real intention to sell unless he got a really outrageous offer.

I agree with what you said--and you said it better--about KH not leaving her much. Money, yes. Some homes, yes. But he didn't seem to think through her position after his death. I suppose making Hamzah CP he thought that would help but he left her rather purposeless. But that was like he treated her from the first moments of her marriage when she said "he threw me in the deep end and let me figure out for myself what the role of Queen should be. While that was good in some ways, it was also challenging." I definitely agree KH was not good husband material--for anyone! I think I'm one of many who wonders why all the marriages and kids--when he seemed to enjoy the attention of many other women ("King Hussein" by Roland Dallas is one source, saying he had "a fondness for British nannies; even Queen Alia had suffered at his hands for his indiscretions.") and also was a reasonably good dad when with the kids but really didn't spend a lot of time with them. He played favorites, too. Abdullah when he was born was the favorite only to be suplanted by Ali, then Hamzah. When KH was married to QA, an eyewitness on this forum saw them in the front row of an event with Abir and Haya (Ali wasn't yet born) while his other children were seated a number of rows behind them. The same happened with KH/QN; their kids joined them front and center and the others, including Abir, Haya and Ali were relegated to being seated elsewhere. I find that bewildering....and hurtful to the kids. Clearly, he could have insisted all the kids were seated near him had he been so inclined, right?

yes i think so too that she has a good contact with them!
but its really crazy lol that she sleeps in a rented bed - well its like in a hotel - but... at home i would have my own one :D
but shes not me :p

to KH - thats what i always say... he had the power in the family - im sure qn made faults with ali haya abir ect too - but he was the father - so he had to make his children happy and he had to help the children and queen noor - that they dont have so much trouble.
but she worte in her book that she managed all this alone - cause he had so many other things....:mad:
i understand ali and so on very well - but im tired of hearing always its all queen noors fault.
she never had the power to tear kh and his children apart.it was his own decision.even if she said - i dont want them with us (and nobody knows if she ever said or thought something like this ;) )...when he was a good father - he would have said - you have to take me with them - or you have nothing....
but he didnt....:confused:

lil Monkey said:
well,I don't know,I feel like QN is the type that thinks a million times before doing anything,so I don't really buy this. A friend is possible but a date,umm,I find it a bit too much to believe.

yes hes co-aol founder!
these are old pictures - and they have ever dated?!
they do sports together and so on for years.....
and they work together for years....

and no article in the last times - was about DATING like a couple.
she was only escorting him with many other women...:rolleyes:

James Kimsey, is the co-founder of AOL, billionaire and in his 70s. They have been working together in humanitarian causes for a long, long time. And that dating thing it's been in rumours for years, with him (I mean). Is she is finally dating him more openly good for her, he's not bad looking and definetely taller than KH.

hsh1969 said:
James Kimsey, is the co-founder of AOL, billionaire and in his 70s. They have been working together in humanitarian causes for a long, long time. And that dating thing it's been in rumours for years, with him (I mean). Is she is finally dating him more openly good for her, he's not bad looking and definetely taller than KH.

If this is true then good for her. Perhaps finally she is moving on from KH's death. Not that she will ever forget him or that another man will replace him, but it's good to see she's dating again - IF IT'S TRUE!!!

Amina said:
If this is true then good for her. Perhaps finally she is moving on from KH's death. Not that she will ever forget him or that another man will replace him, but it's good to see she's dating again - IF IT'S TRUE!!!

it would be good for her - but both of them say for years now - that they are only friends - and feel for each other like brother and sister.do many things together and so on.
it would be nice to hear - if she would have a new love.....but i guess that wont be james kimsey.

I doubt Mr. Kimsey is "long-term" marrying potential, too--if and when Queen Noor would consider such a thing. I suspect she won't, however, her statements about never marrying again made in the first three years after her husband's death have altered a bit. Now, she kind of laughs and deflects the question by saying "there is no one in my life." But she used to say "I will never marry again," at one point saying it was because her children would disapprove. And she was pretty vehement on this point. So, who knows what her future holds on the marital front but I don't think Kimsey's the man.

Trust me, the older one gets, the less one looks at the numbers.:) I was just with a delightful couple who both lost their spouses and married at the ages of 72 and 67 respectively. They have their health, lots of energy and enjoy life a lot! When one looks at QN, she is a very attractive, active woman and in a day and age when "40 is the new 30," she is comparatively young. Youth is a state of mind, more than anything.;)
truth said:
Tinika said:
She's still a fairly young woman.

Young woman ????? This is a strong exaggeration.

NEW Pics of Queen Noor

Queen Noor was at the Peace-Builders Dinner of the King Hussein Foundation held today in New York Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2005
She looks good.

photos from yahoo news Sorry for LQ

f9ppog.jpg
f9ppvr.jpg

Three more pics
http://tinypic.com/f9pq2g.jpg
http://tinypic.com/f9pqbq.jpg
http://tinypic.com/f9pqj8.jpg

Its great to see Queen Noor out and about again. She looks wonderful. A lot of big names at this dinner.

1. Former President Bill Clinton listens to Queen Noor of Jordan during the inagural Peace-Builders Dinner of the King Hussein Foundation in New York Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2005. (AP Photo/David Karp)

2. Queen Noor of Jordan listens to Kofi Annan, Secretary General of United Nations during the inaugural Peace-Builders Dinner of the King Hussein Foundation held today in New York Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2005 (AP Photo/David Karp)

3. Queen Noor of Jordan (R) greets singer Sting and his wife Trudie Styler (L) during a cocktail party for the King Hussein Foundation's Peace-Builders dinner in New York November 1, 2005. REUTERS/Keith Bedford

4. Queen Noor of Jordan speaks during the King Hussein Foundation's Peace-Builders dinner in New York November 1, 2005. The awards dinner honors groups and institutions that promote human rights and peace in the memory of the deceased former King of Jordan. REUTERS/Keith Bedford

5. (L to R) Television host Charlie Rose, Queen Noor of Jordan, American University Chair of Islamic Studies Akbar Ahmed, the Alliance of Civilization's Deputy Director Shamil Idriss, Sir Evelyn De Rothschild, and former U.S. President Bill Clinton participate in a panel during the King Hussein Foundation's Peace-Builders dinner in New York November 1, 2005. REUTERS/Keith Bedford

6. Queen Noor of Jordan (L) talks to actress Meg Ryan. REUTERS/Keith Bedford

7-8. Queen Noor of Jordan (R) greets singer Sting and his wife Trudie Styler (L). REUTERS/Keith Bedford

Attachments

• cap7.jpg
    cap7.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 216
  • capt.nydk.jpg
    capt.nydk.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 248
  • r2469892977.jpg
    r2469892977.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 235
  • r3096580573.jpg
    r3096580573.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 249
  • r3564422611.jpg
    r3564422611.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 228
  • r868153246.jpg
    r868153246.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 207
  • r991205220.jpg
    r991205220.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 216
  • capt.nyd.jpg
    capt.nyd.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
More pictures from ANP. I think QNoor has lightened her hair again.

Attachments

• 3151171.jpg
    3151171.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 3151172.jpg
    3151172.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 3151184.jpg
    3151184.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 3151185.jpg
    3151185.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 3151186.jpg
    3151186.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 3151189.jpg
    3151189.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
thanks Radker18 and Humera for posting the pictures

I wonder if Queen Noor will spend the Eid in Jordan ?

Wow thanks for the pictures,she looks Amazing!
Meg Ryan and Sting were there! wow,I like them both...I wish I was invited,I think it would have been very fun,LOL :p

lil Monkey said:
Wow thanks for the pictures,she looks Amazing!
Meg Ryan and Sting were there! wow,I like them both...I wish I was invited,I think it would have been very fun,LOL :p

she looks really great!
i wished to have been invited too - so next time we should ask her to invite us both :D

closesttoheaven said:
she looks really great!
i wished to have been invited too - so next time we should ask her to invite us both :D

Yep,So see ya next time;) :D ,LOL

Looks like it was a great turnout! Thanks for the photos, Humera and Radker18! Agree with all; QN looks wonderful!!!!

New Book on QN

It seems there's a new book set for release in January. I don't know anything more about it though. It's being publicized by overstock.com; list price $30 some dollars.

Queen Noor (Hardcover) by Raatma, Lucia

Here's the cover; looks like it's targeted to school age children. Courtesy overstock.com.

Attachments

• noorbook.jpg
    noorbook.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom