Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Platinum Wedding Anniversary: November 20, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: You're very welcome! And (again) thanks to those who uses the thanks button. ?

3 quotes (but only a small part) from this long Telegraph article from Dickie Arbiter:
Tupperware, television and tellings-off: my insight into a very private marriage
In a dozen years working closely with the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh as a press secretary at Buckingham Palace, I witnessed a marriage of extraordinary fortitude and love. This is a relationship that has been through an awful lot over 70 years, but at its core it remains the same. Look at a photograph of Princess Elizabeth gazing at her dashing naval officer in 1947, then see the official portrait released for their 60th anniversary a decade ago. It is the same shared look of trust, adoration and unfailing support. They have always been there for one another.

Those flashes of mundanity, when you would see them like any other couple in the world, were always nice to see. In the summer they’d enjoy barbecues, picnics and rolling down the hills with the children. In later years, in the evenings, the Queen would settle down to watch television (racing, often, but it could be anything) while the Duke, who isn’t particularly keen on telly, worked on his computer. Weekends are always quiet, save for the church, and suppers are unflashy and brief: 50 minutes, no matter how many courses are to be served. Whenever it's possible, the simple life is preferred.

The children were all long-grown up when I worked for them, but when they were little, the Queen and the Duke did as best as they could to be ‘hands-on’. It’s possible to think of a first and second family. The Queen had two young children, three-year-old Charles and Anne, at 18 months, when she ascended to the throne. Juggling the pressures and strains of that, at 26, with parenting was difficult. It meant neither she nor the Duke could spend nearly as much time with the children as she would have intended. By contrast, when Andrew and Edward were born, in 1960 and 64 respectively, she and the Duke were a lot more settled, and therefore a lot more involved.

They’re two individuals who’ve achieved a number of records, but this landmark may be even more special than the others. Not that they’ll celebrate 70 years with much fanfare. It’ll be a quiet, family occasion with the children, a memory or two, and perhaps the odd joke. It's how they like it. Here's to many more.

Dickie Arbiter also writes (as he has done before) about having lunch with HM, Philip and a lady in waiting at Balmoral shortly after he took the job - writing: ''Food was placed on the table in Tupperwares (from which we could help ourselves onto china plates) we enjoyed wonderfully natural conversation, and I even did the washing up with Her Majesty afterwards. “I’ll wash, you dry,” she told me, rolling up her sleeves. So I did.''

Last edited:
To mark The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh's 70th Wedding Anniversary, new photographic portraits have been released worldwide.
The portraits, by British photographer Matt Holyoak of Camera Press, were taken in the White Drawing Room at Windsor Castle in early November.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO8nINSXkAA0PtA.jpg

http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/theque...-for-their-platinum-wedding-anniversary-91805

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nce-Philip-pose-70th-wedding-anniversary.html

Matthew Butson, vice president of the Getty Images Archive - which has access to over 130 million images - has selected his favourite photos

Getty archivist's favourite photos of Queen and Philip | Daily Mail Online

A article about that

Prince Philip takes a carriage ride around Windsor Castle | Daily Mail Online

William, Catherine and Harry arrive at the Windsor Castle

William and Harry join Kate for Queen's 70th anniversary | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
JMO, but Matt could have avoided that window behind and between the two of them. Along with her dress, it's just not a great composition. Masses of white tend to dominate/float in portraits. And/or, as in this case, go all flat, with not much dimension. It's why a lot of the Queen's portraits in which she wears white are lit from the side or otherwise show depth

And, she has light bulbs growing out of head.

But the expressions are very nice. Probably why this was chosen.

As much as something public would be nice, HMQ and DofE have more than earned the privacy of their day in a setting of their choice. I wouldn’t be surprised if a picture was eventually released.

I would expect another family photo like they did 10 years ago.

LaRae

Last edited:
Although, I hope another family picture is released on Monday or Tuesday, it’s a pleasure to see a couple like this make it this far in their marriage.

I LOVE the new photo marking their 70 Anniversary. To me it looked soft, sweet and less formal than many others. The soft light colors made one focus on their faces and eyes instead of dark busy background. Their clothes were also soft and not formal and stiff. Always loved this white Drawing Room at Windsor. Beautiful.

It’s a wonderful picture. 70 years is just amazing.

Is that a window behind them, or is that a mirror reflecting light from a window opposite them? And it seems like something is slightly off with Philip's posture. He appears to be standing straight and tall, facing the camera square-on, yet his head and neck lean slightly off to one side. I'm going to chalk that up to old age.

I would expect another family photo like they did 10 years ago.

LaRae
As you can read in these 3 Royal Family tweets (also mentioned in the DF article in eya's post above and in the Telegraph article below in this post), the palace says portraits, not portrait:

The Royal Family‏ @RoyalFamily
To mark The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh's 70th Wedding Anniversary, new photographic portraits have been released worldwide.

In this first release, The Queen and His Royal Highness are framed by Thomas Gainsborough's 1781 portraits of George III and Queen Charlotte, who were married for 57 years.

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will celebrate their Wedding Anniverary on Monday, 20th November 2017. The portraits, by British photographer Matt Holyoak of Camera Press, were taken in the White Drawing Room at Windsor Castle in early November.

So I think more pictures will be released this evening, and perhaps a photo will be taken by the family at the dinner tomorrow.

Is that a window behind them, or is that a mirror reflecting light from a window opposite them? And it seems like something is slightly off with Philip's posture. He appears to be standing straight and tall, facing the camera square-on, yet his head and neck lean slightly off to one side. I'm going to chalk that up to old age.
That's a mirror reflecting light from a window opposite them.

More articles from the Telegraph:

The Queen and Prince Philip smile for the camera in their official 70th anniversary portrait
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh smile as they stand side by side in the first of a new series of portraits to mark their 70th wedding anniversary.

The photographs, taken by British photographer Matt Holyoak, show Elizabeth II and Prince Philip standing in the White Drawing Room at Windsor Castle in early November.

The 91-year-old monarch opted to wear the cream day dress by Angela Kelly that she also wore at the Diamond Wedding Anniversary thanksgiving service, along with a yellow gold, ruby and diamond 'Scarab' brooch, designed by Andrew Grima and gifted to the couple in 1966.

3 quotes (a very small part) from this long article - really worth a read if you have a subscription:
'She never looked at anyone else': The Queen and Prince Philip's marriage, according to those who know them best
She once famously called him her "strength and stay", while he puts the secret of their long marriage down to "different interests" and "tolerance in abundance".

But what are the secrets of the Queen and Prince Philip's 70-year union (the longest of any Royal couple)?

We look at the Royal couple through the eyes of their friends and family, who have watched their romance over the past decades.

Her governess Marion "Crawfie" Crawford observed the sparks between the pair, later writing Lilibet, as she was called when she was young, "never took her eyes of him", although he "did not pay her any special attention".

Later, as they spent more and more time together, the Princess's cousin Margaret Rhodes observed that she made the most important decision of her life entirely on her own, with little interference from her parents. "She never looked at anyone else," she said.

Mrs Rhodes told The Mirror in 2012: "In Prince Philip she found her true love and the Queen has often acknowledged the tremendous support he has given to her - her 'rock’."

One diplomat describes the "wholesome effect" Philip had on the Queen. “She had a protective shell around her and he brought her out of it. He helped to make her what she’s become.”

"Prince Philip is the only man in the world who treats the Queen simply as another human being," The Queen’s former private secretary Lord Charteris said of the Duke of Edinburgh.
A summary (but only a small part due to Forum Rules) from the article of what some of the family members previously have said:

William: "He makes her laugh because some of the things he says and does and the way he looks at life is obviously slightly different than her, so together they’re a great couple.''

Kate: ''All the time, William and I are so struck by the Queen's sense of duty and commitment. And I think to do that by yourself would be a very lonely place to be. "But I think to have the support of your husband there by your side on those occasions , and behind closed doors as well, I think is really special.''

Sophie: ''For her to have found somebody like him, I don't think she could have chosen better. And they make each other laugh - which is, you know, it's half the battle, isn't it? He's been a fantastic life partner for her."

1 quote from (again) a very long article:
What a joke! The secret of the Queen and Prince Philip's 70-year marriage
A good sense of humour features high on dating websites as a desirable quality (“GSOH”), but with the 70-year marriage of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, it is more a case of SSOH – a shared sense of humour. Those who know the couple best say it has been their enduring ability to laugh at the same things that has sustained their partnership over decades of intense scrutiny in the public spotlight.

“You have to list companionship, friendship and shared experience as having seen them through to this remarkable anniversary,” says Jennie Bond, former BBC royal correspondent, “as well as a very deep love between them. But a big part of what has kept them going over so many years is the fact they can share a joke together.”

From her 14 years of covering royal tours around the globe, Bond recalls one episode in particular to illustrate her point. In October 2002, the royal couple were in Winnipeg in Canada.

“It was absolutely freezing and they had just sat outdoors through what was officially labeled a ‘cultural display’ of song and dance that went on and on and on. Then they were deposited onto a barge, which promptly broke down in the middle of the Red River and had to be rescued. When the Queen and the Duke finally got back to land, everyone was expecting them to look traumatised or frostbitten, but instead you couldn’t mistake the amusement on their faces at the whole episode.”

Because they spend some much of their time going from one stage-managed event to another, planned down to the nth degree, Bond suggests it “tickles” them both when things go wrong. “It is how they have survived being on show for so long.”

Today's Telegraph front page:
https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.net/UVDfcsDSHe2JRR0F7gVI_telegraph.JPG

Sun article:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4944998/queen-prince-philip-70th-anniversary-photograph/
Matt Holyoak, who took the picture, said: “I feel very honoured and privileged to have been asked to contribute to this very special occasion.

"My vision for the image was to capture an intimate and natural portrait of the Queen and Duke to celebrate their landmark anniversary.

“The Queen and the Duke were very happy and relaxed which made it a pleasure. I feel the images showcase their strength and unity”.

Just two days before the anniversary, the Queen was spotted horse riding in the grounds of Windsor Castle.

Last edited:
One thing I think that all these articles and pictures and everything surrounding the 70 year marriage of the Queen and the DoE does is put it right out there front and center of the best example of how to make a marriage work and endure.

No better example can be found anywhere else. Through the thick and thins of life and its ups and downs and things that go bump in the night, they've endured through a lot of things most marriages probably will never have to deal with.

They've had a very high profile public life together yet have been able to maintain a very personal home life and the little anecdotes we get are like golden treasures. They've been married for 70 years which is longer than most of our lifetimes (perhaps even some of our lifetimes combined) yet they still look at each other with that sparkle that has been there since before they married.

I sincerely hope that they have many more years to spend together with the love of family and friends and their people surrounding them. They've deserved it.

I went through the Silver, Golden and Diamond Wedding Anniversary Celebrations in videos in post 59, and here's a look back in photos as well:

Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972 - 43 photos:
The Queen's Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972 Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997 - 166 photos:
The Queen's Golden Wedding Anniversary 1997 Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007 - 363 photos:
Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Wedding Anniversary 2007 Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Wonderful to see these photographs!

In the 25th wedding anniversary section, photos of the church service - there is an elderly lady in a brown hat seated directly behind the Queen Mother, and between the Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra.
She looks familiar - I wonder if it's Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone?
(I think Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester is seated at the end of the row in red)

Footage of the Silver wedding Procession enroute from Buckingham Palace to St Pauls Cathedral in 1972.

Wonderful to see these photographs!

In the 25th wedding anniversary section, photos of the church service - there is an elderly lady in a brown hat seated directly behind the Queen Mother, and between the Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra.
She looks familiar - I wonder if it's Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone?
(I think Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester is seated at the end of the row in red)

Yes, that’s the late Countess of Athlone.

:previous: I thought it was the Countess of Athlone, but I wasn't completely sure.

An Ard Ri: I've actually posted that ''Silver wedding Procession video'' and other videos in post 59 where I go through the Silver, Golden and Diamond Wedding Anniversary Celebrations in videos. :flowers:

Another article from the Telegraph:
'Her tiara broke and we lost the bouquet': What it was like being the Queen's bridesmaid
Lady Pamela Hicks (nee Mountbatten), third cousin of the Queen and first cousin to Prince Philip, is one of only two surviving bridesmaids from the Queen’s wedding in 1947 – the other is HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent. Pamela, now aged 88, had to hurry back to England for the occasion from India, where her father was Britain’s last Viceroy...

It was all a tremendous rush. All the other bridesmaids had endless rehearsals, but I was thrown in the deep end, because by the time we arrived in London, there was less than a week to go. I only had time for two dress fittings.

My parents had initially decided that, with everything going on in post-partition India, they wouldn’t go and it was Nehru, who insisted they attend. He said if they didn’t go to the future Queen’s wedding, people would think the situation was worse than it was.

Ghandiji [Ghandi] was always asking me about “the happy event”. But he was very concerned about what to give them. It was my father who said: ‘If you really want to give them something, spin a piece of cloth, and that will be put with the crown jewels’.

Queen Mary, the Queen’s grandmother, was less than impressed. She said: ‘What is this ghastly piece of fabric doing there?’ She thought it was from his ‘loin cloth’.

Picture-articles from Royal Central:

1947-1971:
70 years, 70 pictures: The Queen & Prince Philip’s marriage – Part One – Royal Central

1972-1997:
70 years, 70 pictures: The Queen & Prince Philip’s marriage- Part Two – Royal Central

No part 3 yet.

One can read more interesting articles in my above posts, including post 74, which I wrote earlier today.

Last edited:
Footage of the Silver wedding Procession enroute from Buckingham Palace to St Pauls Cathedral in 1972.

I just got done watching the "vintage" footage and then had to stop and remember that at the time this occurred, I was still in the honeymoon phase of my first marriage. Not so really vintage unless I want to call myself "vintage" also. :lol:

I do have a question. Why did the carriage stop and the Queen handed a sword to touch? That's something I know nothing about. What I did like though is that the footage with the carriage stopped, we clearly could see the interactions between the family members and its obvious they were having a wonderful time together. Philip, as always, seemed quite animated and was doing a pretty good job of keeping his family amused.

Thanks for finding the footage!! :D

:previous: As I wrote right before you wrote your post, I've actually posted that ''Silver wedding Procession video'' and other videos in post 59 where I go through the Silver, Golden and Diamond Wedding Anniversary Celebrations in videos. :flowers:

And to your question, that happened for the Silver and Golden jubilees as well - read about it here:
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...:gk9fbflvgoa&usg=AOvVaw2VnJ0JisRjj80hnPGbUGA-
The Gold State Coach paused at Temple Bar, on the spot where Sir Christopher Wren's original gates marked the City boundary.

There, obeying a tradition dating back to the City's Charter granted in 1215, and symbolic of the Queen's authority, the Lord Mayor, Alderman Michael Oliver, lent into the coach to allow the Queen to touch the hilt of the Pearl Sword. One of five City swords, the Pearl Sword, which legend suggests was given to the City by Elizabeth I when the first Royal Exchange opened in 1571, takes its name from its scabbard of pearls.

Immediately before arrival of the Queen's procession the Lord Mayor received the Pearl Sword from the Swordbearer, Brig Neill O'Connor.

The Lord Mayor advanced and surrendered it to the Queen by presenting the hilt which she touched. Both the sword and the mace were then raised.

More photos released by the palace:

Our amazing monarch and ''her strength and stay'' are looking great.

Last edited:
I was really hoping for a family photo but oh well. These photos are really nice and so sweet.

Perhaps they will take a family photo tomorrow at the dinner, although some family may be missing. Is it assumed that Charles is going upon his return from the Caribbean? Sophie is also not here as she is in Bangladesh at the moment. Would be a shame if their oldest son wasn’t there for the dinner.

:previous: I agree! Really nice and sweet photos. And as I said in post 74: ''I think more pictures will be released this evening, and perhaps a photo will be taken by the family at the dinner tomorrow.''

And lets hope I was right. ?

Article from the DF:
Anniversary portraits of Queen and Prince Philip released | Daily Mail Online

BTW, The Silver wedding Procession enroute from Buckingham Palace in 1972 was to Westminster Abbey, not St Pauls Cathedral. :flowers:

Although through the years, times change and people change, its refreshing to know that some things never change. The similarities between these photos that I've collected prove that the "sparkle" has always been there and will always be there. Now, I could have done a more intensive search and found more examples but as I am about to put a roast beef dinner on the table and I'm hungry, these will have to suffice.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hbz.h-c...en-elizabeth-1947-gettyimages-613465636_2.jpg

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/106/590x/secondary/Queen-anniversary-343693.jpg

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...een-elizabeth-2007-restricted-super-tease.jpg

I just got done watching the "vintage" footage and then had to stop and remember that at the time this occurred, I was still in the honeymoon phase of my first marriage. Not so really vintage unless I want to call myself "vintage" also. :lol:

I do have a question. Why did the carriage stop and the Queen handed a sword to touch? That's something I know nothing about. What I did like though is that the footage with the carriage stopped, we clearly could see the interactions between the family members and its obvious they were having a wonderful time together. Philip, as always, seemed quite animated and was doing a pretty good job of keeping his family amused.

Thanks for finding the footage!! :D

What great memories and glad you enjoyed ,there's another video from the service at Westminster Abbey but its silent.

Invitation For Silver Wedding Anniversary Service at Westminster Abbey

http://www.nhopeninvitation.com/wp-...-wording-for-silver-wedding-anniversary-5.jpg

Last edited:
What great memories and glad you enjoyed ,there's another video from the service at Westminster Abbey but its silent.

"Silent video" is my forte. Unless its closed captioning which a lot of vinta... err older videos aren't, I don't "hear" anything. Makes me more attuned to watching the body language.

Thanks m'friend. :D

:previous: I agree! Really nice and sweet photos. And as I said in post 74: ''I think more pictures will be released this evening, and perhaps a photo will be taken by the family at the dinner tomorrow.''

And lets hope I was right. ?

Article from the DF:
Anniversary portraits of Queen and Prince Philip released | Daily Mail Online

BTW, The Silver wedding Procession enroute from Buckingham Palace in 1972 was to Westminster Abbey, not St Pauls Cathedral. :flowers:

If here is an updated picture to commemorate this wonderful occasion, I hope it was taken prior to 11/20, and with the entire family present. What is an official family portrait without the heir, and Sophie is, IMO, the hardest working royal under the age of 60. Even if it is not considered an official family portrait, it would be a pity to mark such a special occasion without these 2 integral family members.

To Royal Norway and An Ard Ri and all who posted pictures my heartfelt thanks. I’ve been lost in them. It’s a reliving history lesson for me. Apologies for not being technical (computer down/using phone) I don’t know where the thank you is but my heart thanks you so very much.

I do have a question. Why did the carriage stop and the Queen handed a sword to touch? That's something I know nothing about.

I wonder was it the Lord Mayor of London Sword?

Osipi, Here is a photo [1877] of Sir Christopher Wrens 'Temple Bar', the Western 'gate' to the City of London on the street known as 'the Strand'.

As you can see the arch is quite narrow, so [when the Strand was widened in the late 19th Century] it was removed.
It languished in a garden for nearly 100 years before being re-assembled in Paternoster Square, right next to Wrens masterpiece St Paul's Cathedral, where it is today.

Attachments

• temple bar.jpg
    temple bar.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I wonder was it the Lord Mayor of London Sword?

Our own Royal Norway, who is always right on top of things like this explained it beautifully and it was indeed the Lord Mayor of London and the Pearl Sword.

One of my favorite photos of them is the engagement day where she's sitting in the chair (yellow dress) and looking up at him..he's looking down at her, both of them with huge smiles on their faces.

LaRae

There are reportedly 150 people attending this evening's dinner. I had thought it was just for immediate family but if this number is true, I'm pleased others have been invited.

Back
Top Bottom