Queen Alia Information and Pictures: Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She was truly a marvelous, sweet, dedicated Queen and mother and wife. I had never seen the one with Juan Carlos and Sofia with them before! Outstanding set of pictures.

I have looked and looked and while, in general, Queen Alia is credited with promoting women's rights, I can find nothing where she talks about or takes a stance on honor killings. I think her foundations and Prince Ali's ride against them are her "living legacy" against them. If anyone knows/can find anything further, it would be interesting to hear.

Savita said:
Does anyone know what steps Queen Alia took to prevent honour killings in Jordan?

QA's Death Anniversary

I am sure it is the saddest day for PH & PA today. They must be thinking about her a lot.

My deepest condonlences to them and to Jordan for losing such a gracious, warm hearted and loving queen.

Queen Alia was the person who started off all the work with children and women in Jordan, also a lot of the healthcare stuff. She was a head of her time in the ME in some ways - every other Jordanian queen since has just trodden in her footsteps. (No disrespect to any of the other ladies meant)

I've done a little more reading and research on Queen Alia's activities as Queen and you are indeed correct. She pioneered many efforts to help women and children's issues as well as health care issues. She died after going to Aqaba to investigate a complaint sent to her about a patient in a hospital there who wrote to her to tell her he was receiving inadequate treatment. Her helicopter crashed on the return flight to Amman after she had visited the hospital and the patients there.

I still find it uncanny and very sad for their children, Haya, Abir, and Ali that King Hussein died on Feb. 7th and Queen Alia on Feb. 9th. This must be a very difficult time of the year for them.

lizz70 said:
Queen Alia was the person who started off all the work with children and women in Jordan, also a lot of the healthcare stuff. She was a head of her time in the ME in some ways - every other Jordanian queen since has just trodden in her footsteps. (No disrespect to any of the other ladies meant)

Queen Alia International Airport Naming

This may seem a silly question but was the airport named for Queen Alia after her death or before? I don't think I've ever heard one way or another. It's always been referred to in the articles I've read as the Queen Alia International Airport. Does anyone know? Thanks!

maryshawn said:
This may seem a silly question but was the airport named for Queen Alia after her death or before? I don't think I've ever heard one way or another. It's always been referred to in the articles I've read as the Queen Alia International Airport. Does anyone know? Thanks!

After Queen Alia death. It was built in 1983.

It may be that I am superstitious. That is rather quaint for me.

Last edited:
Do you mean that because she was killed in an air crash, it is unique or unusual.....whatever the word.....to name an airport for her? That occured to me. I thought, after reading it was after her death, King Hussein decided to do so because of his love of aviation and knowing this would be a long-standing, important memorial to her so it kind of merged his great loves: Queen Alia and his love of flying, even though a helicopter crash had taken her life.

hilal said:
It may be that I am superstitious. That is rather quaint for me.

maryshawn said:
Do you mean that because she was killed in an air crash, it is unique or unusual.....whatever the word.....to name an airport for her? That occured to me. I thought, after reading it was after her death, King Hussein decided to do so because of his love of aviation and knowing this would be a long-standing, important memorial to her so it kind of merged his great loves: Queen Alia and his love of flying, even though a helicopter crash had taken her life.

Also a bit of an insult to his then wife Noor - nobody can compete witha dead spouse.

That's why I had thought perhaps it had been named before Queen Alia's death. Yes, it would be very, very hard and a bit grating to try to compete with someone who was perceived to be the great love of one's spouse. In the end, I think they found different niches in his life. Certainly, KH had to have loved Queen Noor very much; look at how many things she endured with him--the Gulf War and the stress it took on him and the numerous illnesses he had and she nursed him through right till the very end. She had more grace than I would have as I likely always would have wondered....on the other hand, we don't know what went on behind closed doors. More than one close friend said theirs was the kind of love people dream of but few have.

lizz70 said:
Also a bit of an insult to his then wife Noor - nobody can compete witha dead spouse.

Thanks for the picture, Lizz. She was pregnant with Haya in that photo.

Queen Alia was such prettily, beautifully, young, nicely... She is my favorite queen!!!

I never get tired of looking at Alia pictures. There are several here that I have not seen before. She was really stunningly beautiful.:(

She really was stunning! Several books have mentioned she had an enormous amount--trunks, was the phrase--of costly jewelry. Yet all we have seen seems to be the tiara QR borrowed from PH. I wonder what happened to it all and if PH inherited the bulk of it after her mother's death.

Queen Alia International airport was built after the death of the queen , but it is located near the area were the accident took place

ranoon said:
Queen Alia International airport was built after the death of the queen , but it is located near the area were the accident took place
It was built BEFORE her death and was named at first Alia (after Princess Alia bint AL-hussien) then after Queen Alia's death, the airport was renamed after her, well at least this is what I know.

Giving Speeches

This could actually be directed at any member of the JRF--particularly the women who marry into it and may not be as at ease giving speeches. I looked at the first photo in this thread and it shows QA making a presentation. Do/did the JRF Queens, princesses, etc., receive coaching as part of their training? To some, it seemingly come naturally--perhaps because of their professional lives before entering royal life. But other like QA and QN spoke of their "terror" and shyness and said they found giving talks very hard. I was wondering if anyone had heard of QA receiving special training for these tasks--or QN and others, for that matter. It has to be daunting for "shy" individuals, unused to standing before crowds.:confused:

Quenn Alia is my favourite queen too,nobody is like here or will be like her.

There is brief but nice video of Queen Alia on the documentaries "King Hussein" and "King Hussein and Queen Noor--Royal Romances." In the first, it shows QA and KH at a public event soon after their marriage and it's kind of charming as they inadvertently bump into one another and both have these big smiles on their faces. Later, he speaks very movingly about her death being "the worst day of his life. On "Royal Romances," there is footage of QA, KH and all of the children in the garden of the palace. Very beautiful! He's peering into a baby carriage and there are some up close shots of the two of them and QA alone.

Uh hi everyone I just joined this forum and I think Queen Alia looked like a beautiful person on the outside and on the inside.

sirhon11234 said:
Uh hi everyone I just joined this forum and I think Queen Alia looked like a beautiful person on the outside and on the inside.

Welcome to the Royal Forums, Sirhon.:flowers: I very much agree that Alia was a beautiful woman on the outside, and appearingly on the inside as well.

salma said:
QUEEN ALIA MAUSOLEUM:

Overlooking the Jordan valley and 17km from Amman, the site lies atop a prominent hill not far from the Royal Palace. The prayer hall, which accommodates 500 person, is covered with a large central dome and the four lateral areas are covered with smaller ones. To the right of the main entry is placed the black marble sarcophagus of the late Queen. The mosque principal structure is a reinforced concrete frame. The ferroconcrete mesh domes are surfaced with trowelled concrete skins, a technology adapted from ship building.

From Archnet

I heard that the mausoleum is in the same place where Queen Alia died. Is this true?

Joumana said:
I heard that the mausoleum is in the same place where Queen Alia died. Is this true?

You know, I'd never thought of that but, per the Queen Alia website, which I believe Princess Haya helped to create, that could be accurate as I read on that site Queen Alia's helicopter crashed just five minutes from the palace. I had been previously under the impression it had crashed in the desert somewhere between Aqaba and Amman but the site is very specific about the fact the helicopter was minutes from landing when it went down. Interesting.....

The mausoleum is beautiful; I'd never realized it was so big. Does anyone know how long it took to build?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that the Jordanian moderators have changed the name of this thread from Queen Alia, Picture thread Part 1 to Queen Alia: Information and Pictures, Part 1.

In the past, members have shared treasured pictures of Queen Alia in addition to asking questions about the late Queen that has allowed us to learn more about this great lady. Now the thread title reflects that as well.

Keep posting!

Just seen the pictures of Queen Alia Mausoleum. Its beautiful and very grand. I agree she is a beautiful women and I can see why her daughter is beautiful as well. Love the photos! Was Queen Ali taller that the KIng?

Wonderful photos of QA and her family-what a loving mother she must have been!:) So sad her children had to grow up without her:sad: Love QN as well.QA was so beautiful with a stunning smile:flowers:This may sound strange but she looks something like Sophia Loren to me.
Anyways I had always heard she was quite strong and promoted women and childrens issues-good for her:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom