Princess of Asturias Awards 2015-2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She needs to do events well before the age of 18, age approriate of course (not saying that the PoA events are age approriate). In comparison Christian, Amalia, Elisabeth or Ingrid Alexandra (all around same age as Leonor) almost regulary join their parents for age appropriate events. You can't pull an 18 year old out of the hat at the time that the public so far has only seen at Mallorca photoshoots (Easter and Summer), National Day and on the christmas card.

As I said, yes she needs to be out more. But as I also said, I don't think it's only age appropriate but time appropriate. Heir or not, she is a student and priority should be placed on her education. I guess that is why I a, happy we font see school age royal children on tours often. Even a future monarch and their siblings should be focussed on school now. When they are eighteen or at least an older teen, attending late evening events will be more appropriate and would be a ti,e commitment like many tend withnan after school job.

She needs to do events well before the age of 18, age approriate of course (not saying that the PoA events are age approriate). In comparison Christian, Amalia, Elisabeth or Ingrid Alexandra (all around same age as Leonor) almost regulary join their parents for age appropriate events. You can't pull an 18 year old out of the hat at the time that the public so far has only seen at Mallorca photoshoots (Easter and Summer), National Day and on the christmas card.

We've seen her at a couple of things, I think (I can only picture the year Spain won the World Cup, I think), but how often does Spain do age appropriate events? I don't follow Spain as closely as I follow Denmark or Sweden, but they seem to either purposely set things up or seeing that something could be kid friendly, they bring the kids. Even Will & Kate have brought George & Charlotte to several things so far. But either Felipe & Letizia really want to shelter Leonor or they just aren't getting the opportunities. And then that begs the question of if its their fault or their handler's fault.

Last edited:
F & L received today the awardees of the 'fin de carrera' awards of university of oviedo. the event was not without controversy, as some awardees refused to attend, complaining about the 'image-washing of the political class, the oligarchy and an anachronic and corrupt monarchy'.

Protestas contra la Fundación Princesa de Asturias: "Dejen de robar" - 20minutos.es
Tres premios fin de carrera se niegan a dar la mano a los reyes en los Premios Princesa de Asturias

In general there are protests during the awards in Oviedo, usually they can be seen or heard when the dignitaries arrive. Political parties make use of the awards show for their own motivation.

IU y Podemos ‘calientan’ las protestas contra los Premios Princesa de Asturias: “Una fiesta de la élite económica y monárquica”

Mary Beard, Social Sciences Award, made a review of the ceremony on her blog: http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2016/10/prize-giving.html

Her opinion on Felipe and Letizia (and Sofia) is worth reading IMO ;)
Now, I am not a great expert in European (or any other) monarchies, and I suppose if pushed I would be a Republican (to put it another way, I wouldn't have invented monarchy in the first place, but now we have got it, there are quite a lot of other things I would get rid of first!). But the Spanish King and Queen (and Mother) had a rather different style than most of ours (in my limited experience). Sure, there was a lot of security, but there was none of that anxious protocol about how exactly they were to be addressed ("Your Majesty" on first meeting, then "ma'am', said "mam" like "jam", not 'marm'). In fact, once the other side of security, they just mingled, joked and chatted, without obvious minders hovering close; and, more to the point, the king's speech on day two (the award ceremony itself) was a lot meatier, less bland, than most of what you hear from our own lot.
It was actually truly humbling. I was in the great comany of other prize-winners from Nuria Espert to Richard Ford and SOS Children's Villages. And the whole week was all over the Spanish speaking media. It seemed slightly odd in that context that the only mainstream UK reporting that I saw was in the Mail, and an article solely concerned with what Queen Letizia was wearing and whether she was copying Kate Middleton.

Princess of Asturias Awards 2017

logoEmpresa.gif

The meetings of the juries responsible for granting the 2017 Princess of Asturias Awards will commence on 3rd May

Arts: 3rd and 4th May

Communication and Humanities : 9th and 10th May

International Cooperation: 16th and 17th May

Sports: 23rd and 24th May

Social Sciences: 30th and 31st May

Literature: 7th and 8th June

Technical and Scientific Research: 13th and 14th June

Concord: 20th and 21st June

The meetings of the juries responsible for granting the 2017 Princess of Asturias Awards will commence on 3rd May - Communication - The Princess of Asturias Foundation

The Hispanic Society of America, Princess of Asturias Award for International Cooperation

The Hispanic Society of America, Princess of Asturias Award for International Cooperation - Communication - The Princess of Asturias Foundation

The New Zealand National rugby union team, Princess of Asturias Award for Sports

The New Zealand National rugby union team, Princess of Asturias Award for Sports - Communication - The Princess of Asturias Foundation

Karen Armstrong, Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences

British thinker and researcher Karen Armstrong has been bestowed with the 2017 Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences, as made public today in Oviedo by the Jury responsible for conferring said Award.

Karen Armstrong, Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences - Communication - The Princess of Asturias Foundation

Events of the Princess of Asturias Awards 2017 in Oviedo

October 19th

Concert attended by T.M.The King and Queen at the Auditorium Palacio de Congresos .

October 20th

Audience at the Hall of Councils of the Hotel Reconquista for winners with the "Medals of Asturias 2017"

The Princess of Asturias Awards Ceremony at the
Teatro Campoamor in Oviedo.

October 21st

Visit to Poreñu (Villaviciosa) as part of Prize to Exemplary Town of Asturias awards.

Is Felipe expected to mention the Catalonia issue in his speech tomorrow?

Probably he will speak of Catalonia, if he does not do it directly he will make indirect references that will be understood by all.

For the first time since the year of its foundation a President of the Government of Spain will attend the Awards. The European Union is also one of the winners, so its top representatives will also attend and speak.

Adam Zagajewski, Philippe de Montebello, Marcos Mundstock, Antonio Tajani, Jean Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk to give speeches at the 2017 Princess of Asturias Awards Ceremony

Adam Zagajewski, Philippe de Montebello, Marcos Mundstock, Antonio Tajani, Jean Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk to give speeches at the 2017 Princess of Asturias Awards Ceremony - Communication - The Princess of Asturias Foundation

Here are some additional photos from the Concert tonight in Oviedo.

PPE Agency

Back
Top Bottom