Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill & Family, General News Part 4,February 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even if that would be true; that's something they should have considered before announcing their move. It's really the going back on forth on their announced plans about living or not living permanently or temporarily in Sweden (not just times but before as well) that makes them seem undecisive.

Why "should have considered?" They don't owe anyone an explanation. What do they care if people think they're indecisive?

They may have just decided that this year wasn't good timing -- for the couple or the kids. Or maybe it was a matter of convenience. It doesn't have to be some deep, dark reason.

Why "should have considered?" They don't owe anyone an explanation. What do they care if people think they're indecisive?

They may have just decided that this year wasn't good timing -- for the couple or the kids. Or maybe it was a matter of convenience. It doesn't have to be some deep, dark reason.

Your previous explanation was that the delay of the announced return to Sweden might have been because it was not the right timing in terms of schooling. If that was truly the main consideration for postponing, that is not a new development but something anyone moving (and even more so anyone moving internationally) should consider before taking any drastic actions (such as putting your house on the market and announcing your return to Sweden in this case); not something that comes up several months later...

Of course, circumstances might change and there could be good reasons for the postponement, but your example is one that could have been foreseen and any parent moving their family should consider the impact on their children's schooling in advance not as an after-thought.

Madeleine was not living in Sweden nor was she on active royal duty when the two of them met. She had relinquished all that after her engagement with Jonas broke off and she left for New York to heal from this painful breakup I suppose. While there she was able to work for her mother's charity organization.

So, at that time the two of them probably figured that this configuration of them living abroad with Madeleine travelling to Sweden occassionally would work out fine. So, it seems it was Madeleine who changed her mind. And it looks like they still - after trying various options - haven't found an arrangement that works for all of them .

I don't think the princess decamping to New York City when the breaking of her engagement was announced was intended as a permanent move. Initially, she did not even cancel her official engagements in Sweden over the subsequent weeks and it attracted some media attention when she later did so. (See https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...part-7-february-2008-may-2010-a-15924-16.html)

In contrast, when she returned to Sweden after her first child's birth, she registered the length of her intended stay in Sweden as "permanent". http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/prinsessan-madeleine-flyttar-hem-till-sverige/

It is true that she has not had to completely give up her private career (though she has had to give up almost all of her official commitments) because World Childhood Foundation has branches in the US and UK, but I imagine it is not the same as working at headquarters, and in any event, Chris O'Neill would not need to relinquish his career to move to Sweden either, as my understanding is that it is perfectly possible for his type of work to be carried out in Stockholm.

Prince Joachim of Denmark also met his first wife when he was working in her country, but I don't think anyone, much less his wife, would have expected him (and her) to continue to live there after marriage.

Your previous explanation was that the delay of the announced return to Sweden might have been because it was not the right timing in terms of schooling. If that was truly the main consideration for postponing, that is not a new development but something anyone moving (and even more so anyone moving internationally) should consider before taking any drastic actions (such as putting your house on the market and announcing your return to Sweden in this case); not something that comes up several months later...

Of course, circumstances might change and there could be good reasons for the postponement, but your example is one that could have been foreseen and any parent moving their family should consider the impact on their children's schooling in advance not as an after-thought.

Not necessarily. They announced their plan to move to Sweden in March, and they cancelled their plan in late June. Perhaps they assessed the children's schooling at the end of the school year and changed their minds.

Things can change a lot from March to June.

But, I would point out again that I was not offering an "explanation" of anything. I was just musing that the children's schooling could be part (or all) of the reason they decided against moving.

I went back and looked at the reporting in this thread of what the spokesperson for the royal house said, and the comment was that they weren't ready. That certainly would cover many scenarios, from the kids' schools to Chris getting his business activities arranged to selling their house here to getting a place in Sweden ready to move in.

Who knows?

Not necessarily. They announced their plan to move to Sweden in March, and they cancelled their plan in late June. Perhaps they assessed the children's schooling at the end of the school year and changed their minds.

But, I would point out again that I was not offering an "explanation" of anything. I was just musing that the children's schooling could be part (or all) of the reason they decided against moving.

I went back and looked at the reporting in this thread of what the spokesperson for the royal house said, and the comment was that they weren't ready. That certainly would cover many scenarios, from the kids' schools to Chris getting his business activities arranged to selling their house here to getting a place in Sweden ready to move in.

Who knows?

I am not an expert on children's education, but it appears to me that the longer the children stay in school in the United States, the harder it will be for them to adapt to school in Sweden with a different language of instruction and learning, a different curriculum, different teaching methods, etc.

Children are adaptable and these children have had a very great exposure to Sweden with cousins about the same age and grandparents of course. All of that is motivation for them to adapt and most likely learn the language if they want to play and fit in. Children can learn languages so much easier than adults. Also, we don’t know, maybe their mother has only spoken to them in Swedish?
In any case, they would have the best schools in either country, something international I would guess. Their ages are important. Switching before puberty is a given.
Imo, Madeleine wants to be close to her parents and she would be right. Silvia appears fatigued to me in the past year.

Children are adaptable and these children have had a very great exposure to Sweden with cousins about the same age and grandparents of course. All of that is motivation for them to adapt and most likely learn the language if they want to play and fit in. Children can learn languages so much easier than adults. Also, we don’t know, maybe their mother has only spoken to them in Swedish?
In any case, they would have the best schools in either country, something international I would guess. Their ages are important. Switching before puberty is a given.
Imo, Madeleine wants to be close to her parents and she would be right. Silvia appears fatigued to me in the past year.

Queen Silvia has had a busy year with the Jubilee year's county visits and other events. And she has been travelling abroad very much this year.
16.1. Athens, Greece
2.-4.5. State visit, Estonia
26.-27.5. Heidelberg, Germany
15.-16.6. Munich, Germany
28.6. University of Stirling, UK
1.9. Forst, Germany
27.-28.9. Warsaw, Poland
11.10. Mainau, Germany
16.-20.10. New York and visiting Madeleine's family in Pinecrest, USA
20.11. Frankfurt, Germany

Maybe we should also remember that Chris's mother Eva O'Neill is according to some information born 1940, some information 1943 and some information 1947.

Somebody was responding to the example you gave in your original post:

I was just thinking about whether next year would be a more natural year to transfer the kids to a new school without too much disruption. Based on their ages, I would guess that Leonore, who is nine, is probably in fourth grade. Nicolas, who is eight, is probably in third grade. (Give or take a year, depending on what age they started.)

Neither would be likely to change schools for another few years here in the United States, but I wonder if next year might the age that Swedish students change schools.

The age at which children normally transfer schools in Sweden did not change between March and June 2023, and thus is something that the parents should, and probably did, already assess before March.

To answer your original question:

"In the Swedish school system, children go to school for at least ten years from the year they turn six, as mandated by the Swedish Education Act [...] Swedish compulsory schooling consists of four stages: förskoleklass (‘preschool year’ or year 0), lågstadiet (years 1–3), mellanstadiet (years 4–6) and högstadiet (years 7–9). Children between ages six and thirteen are also offered out-of-school care before and after school hours."

The Swedish school system | sweden.se

Campus Manilla, the school which Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar attend and which Princess Madeleine was rumored to be considering for her children, includes a primary school which covers years 1-9 (i.e., children ages 6-16).

Grundskola - Campus Manilla

Who knows?

The last two scenarios are unlikely. Court spokeswoman Margareta Thorgren denied that the postponement was related to the home sale (or to immigration issues), and nothing has happened (as far as we know) between March and June to the couple's expanded and renovated (and rent-free) apartment at the Royal Mews. And while the children aren't necessarily guaranteed placements at their parents' first-choice school, schooling is free, compulsory and guaranteed in Sweden, so there is no concern about finding them a place.

He who pays the piper calls the tune. I have no doubt in Sweden that will be the in laws. Housing, schools, thats a lot of money. Not sure Chris is a breadwinner of that scale. The in laws may even pay for that already and in Sweden, Chris would be totally trapped by the in law family and the media.

Their housing and schooling would both be state-funded in Sweden: the former owing to the king's royal right of disposal over numerous state-owned residences, the latter being national policy.

Given how far down they are in the line to the throne, I don't understand why it is so important to Madeleine that her children have succession rights.

What leads you to think it is important to her? Besides, we have seen how for many people it is "so important" to have hundreds or thousands of people in line to the British throne; keeping numbers 9-11 in line seems much more reasonable in comparison.

Also, we don’t know, maybe their mother has only spoken to them in Swedish?

According to the court spokeswoman, the children are bilingual in Swedish and English.

In Hänt Magazine:
Madeleine's children have lived in the USA almost all their lives, and all three are kind of hidden royalty for many here in Sweden. You can then wonder about is how it really is with the Swedish language for the children. In an Instagram post that the royal family recently shared, several people wondered if the children spoke or understood Swedish.
But now the royal family reveal to Hänt how their language skills actually are.
"The children are bilingual", reveals Margareta Thorgren.
The princess' children can thus speak and understand both English and Swedish.
Sanningen om prinsessan Madeleines barn – efter frågorna _ Hänt

Last edited by a moderator:
Aftonbladet has noticed, that Madeleine and Chris's house is for sale again.
The price is now $7,295,000.
In March 2023 the price was $7,650,000 and in April 2023 it was $7,450,000. On 17th June 2023 the house was taken out from the listing for sale.
Prinsessan Madeleine säljer sitt lyxiga hus i Florida

The swedish press about that Madeleine and Chris have had to lower the price of their house from the previous sale.
Madeleine och Chris miljonbakslag med huset _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Madeleines och Chris bakslag – tvingas sänka huspriset med 4 miljoner _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
In SVT's "The Year with the Royal Family" we see everything from the crown princess couple's trip to Australia to the prince couple's everyday life and the royal couple's life together.
But Princess Madeleine and her family are missing. When Hänt reaches the project manager for the program, Hannah Cederberg, she tells why.
"SVT has on several occasions sent in interview requests to Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill, but the court has declined. But we hope to get interviews with the princess family next year if they then move to Sweden again", she writes in a message to Hänt.
Hovet stoppar prinsessan Madeleine – syns ej i SVT _ Hänt

Anders Pihlblad has followed the royal family around the world to deliver the TV4's annual documentary "Kungahuset 2023".
- Princess Madeleine is in the picture but not interviewed.
The reason why Madeleine and Chris O'Neill are not interviewed in the documentary is simply because they live in the USA, 800 miles from Sweden.
- The program points that Princess Madeleine had were in the United States and then we did not go there. On the occasions that have been in Sweden, there has been nothing, says Anders Pihlblad.
TV4-profilens intervju med Madeleine stoppas – riktiga anledningen _*Svensk Dam

Chris has been seen in Östermalm near the Royal Stables today.
https://image.svenskdam.se/image-10100348?imageId=10100348&width=1320&height=1769&compression=70
Bilden avslöjar! Chris O'Neill på svensk mark _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Chris O'Neill: His high society life in pictures before he met Princess Madeleine
Chris O'Neill_ Sein High-Society-Leben in Bildern, bevor er Prinzessin Madeleine traf _ GALA.de

Madeleine, Chris and Eva O'Neill were seen at “Rosi's Sonnbergstuben” in Kitzbühel on Monday afternoon.
“Sonnbergstuben” spokeswoman Anja Autenrieth told BILD: “Princess Madeleine comes to us every year when she is on vacation in Kitzbühel. Next year she wants to visit us with her three children because she thinks it's so great with us, she said. Madeleine was in a great mood. She is a very nice person, totally warm and open. Just mega-normal.”
Prinzessin Madeleine von Schweden_ Auf Schnitzel-Jagd in Kitzbühel _ Unterhaltung _ BILD

I think it could turn out extremely difficult for Chris to adapt to Sweden and while Madeleine is said to be shy she might miss her homecountry and a bit of the royal limelight.IMO its not about succession, lets be realistic.
If she decided to return after her parents passing there might simply be no role for her at all- So now is the time!
The family works well without her, Sofia got important and is respected, a third fourth or even third royal lady in Sweden while Estelle will soon be ready... I don't see the need of Madeleine in official engagements at all.
I think it was very clever of Silvia to place Madeleine into the Childhood thing, this guarantees her some role, at least some little importance plus duties/income/connections.
I fear the couple will carry on with the difficulty of where to live
and once they are back in Sweden every step, trip or fancy partylife is on the Swedish public's eye. Guess Chris will hate it and I do not blame him for this, like some media do.
People outside Scandinavia are likely to idealise our countries because of the wonderful landscapes not knowing much more,
but the Swedish society f.e. is so much different from the rest of Europe or US, it is very hard to adapt, people never accept you no matter how long you lived here and the transparency has grown some weird development, too. Your neighbour does not only mind his business.
I hope the marriage of C&M is strong!

Thanks - but what a strange picture to post? Where is the rest of the family and Leonore looks sad/not in the mood.
I agree, though I don't like speculation , my thoughts were exactly these. Why would somebody post such a photo?
And btw Madeleine looks more and more like her father :)
but a bit stressed in the photo.

Thanks - but what a strange picture to post? Where is the rest of the family and Leonore looks sad/not in the mood.
Indeed, and the lighting isn't very flattering either. I had to look twice to recognise the Princess. The comment section isn't all that flowery either, which is rare for instagram I believe.

Well in her Instagram story, there's a photo of Chris and Nicholas walking with each other on the beach with the caption, "Some guys just want to hang out in the background..." which I think is an implicit response to why there's only 3 family members in the Easter photo.

Madeleine and Chris's house has been for sale 150 days.
Svensk Damtidning writes that now the house is listed as "contingent", which means that a conditional offer has been agreed with a buyer, but that there are certain details that the buyer must arrange before the deal can be finalized.

Last edited:
Margareta Thorgren confirms to Svensk Damtidning that it is still planned that the family will move back home to Sweden this year.
- The plan remains for the couple and the children to move home to Sweden in 2024, she says.

Articles in Swedish media about the sale of Madeleine and Chris's house

Chris is ver much his own man and if he doesn’t want to be in the photo - well who can force him ? He is not a Prince of Sweden so he has hardly any obligations to Madeleine’s family more than not creating any scandals that puts the swedish monarchy in a bad light…

As for Leonor, she is very much her mothers miniature… If she doesn’t want something, then she doesn’t do it 😉 Madeleine was exactly like that too

Back
Top Bottom