Prince William Named Prince of Wales

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must admit, when people say 'Princess of Wales', my mind automatically still goes to Diana, just as it goes to Charles when people say 'Prince of Wales'. The changes will take time to bed in. I'm sure it won't be long before I hear the titles and think of William and Catherine instead.

It will be nice to have a Prince and Princess of Wales again. A fresh start with the titles, moving on from the ghosts of the past, as others have pointed out. And it puts to bed the nonsense idea that Catherine wouldn't use her title out of respect for Diana. Tradition has come through, as everyone here expected it would.

I agree. A religious service at Llandaff followed by a reception at the Seanned is my guess.

Sounds about right. I think they'll need some sort of ceremony. "I have to be seen to be believed" and (some not too expensive in these times) pomp and circumstance keep the monarchy running.

I think its not htat likely that there will be a ceremony. there's no need for one and a coronation is a big enough thing

Is it possible they could do something to recognize William as PoW at the coronation? Slot him in at the end, with a quick but formal 'oath giving' thing? It would be a good opportunity, given who would be in attendance, and the solemnity and grandeur of the occasion. Would save organizing something separate.

I believe there will be an investiture ceremony for William. It doesn't have to be a big ceremony. But there must be a ceremony.

Slightly off-topic, but is there a chance that now that Catherine is Princess of Wales (as much as Diana was, I know the specifics of the correct styling) that journalists will stop always referring to her as Kate Middleton?

No. Sometimes I think they continue to do it as a show of disrespect, other times I think it's because they're lazy. At least they've stopped calling her "Waity Katey."

Yes, the children are now Princes and Princess of Wales - as of 1/4 hour ago! - although I suppose they'll stick to Cambridge for school because it would be confusing to change names after 2 days. I didn't expect William to be created Prince of Wales quite so soon, but I suppose there's no reason to wait.

I'd say better change now as they only started yesterday. Their fellow students aren't yet used to them being 'Cambridge', it would be much more confusing to change at a later point in time.

Slightly off-topic, but is there a chance that now that Catherine is Princess of Wales (as much as Diana was, I know the specifics of the correct styling) that journalists will stop always referring to her as Kate Middleton?
It depends which media outlet you read/watch. Those that rely on clicks for income will continue with Kate Middleton as long as that term brings them the traffic. They'll probably also start using Princess Kate in the same way they used Princess Di. Serious journalists will refer to her as the Princess of Wales but in time she'll probably be known as Princess Catherine, despite that being an incorrect title.

No. Sometimes I think they continue to do it as a show of disrespect, other times I think it's because they're lazy. At least they've stopped calling her "Waity Katey."

I am sure the US tabloid press will call her Princess Kate now, just as Diana was Princess Di or Princess Diana.

On an unrelated comment, I agree with other posters that it is good to have a Prince and a Princess of Wales again.

Last edited:
It depends which media outlet you read/watch. Those that rely on clicks for income will continue with Kate Middleton as long as that term brings them the traffic. They'll probably also start using Princess Kate in the same way they used Princess Di. Serious journalists will refer to her as the Princess of Wales but in time she'll probably be known as Princess Catherine, despite that being an incorrect title.

Diana was pretty much Lady Di for alot of her marriage. I can't really remember when it switched to Princess and really for the longest time she was just Diana.

Many royal spouses are just always known by their pre marriage name.

I am so pleased that they were announced as the Prince and Princess of Wales today.

The literal text by Charles is:

"Today I am proud to create him Prince of Wales. (...) With Catherine beside him, our new Prince and Princess of Wales will..."

So, I'm not sure that the LPs were already signed (in that case he could have said that he HAD created him Prince of Wales) but I assume they will be signed at some point today (unless they count on him announcing this to be sufficient for the moment).

And a great way to remove any doubt on how Catherine will be called going forward without the need to specifically state that she will indeed be known as Princess of Wales and not as Duchess of Cornwall (as Camilla was) or by any other title.

I think it was a good move to announce the new titles right away. Doesn't seem to be a compelling reason not to change them immediately.

Is it possible they could do something to recognize William as PoW at the coronation? Slot him in at the end, with a quick but formal 'oath giving' thing? It would be a good opportunity, given who would be in attendance, and the solemnity and grandeur of the occasion. Would save organizing something separate.

I expect the Prince of Wales will swear allegiance and bring homage to The King at the Coronation and kiss him. Alike the Duke of Edinburgh did to the new Queen Elizabeth. We can see this act as a formal recognition of his position as the Prince of Wales and First Prince of the Blood Royal.

The literal text by Charles is:

"Today I am proud to create him Prince of Wales. (...) With Catherine beside him, our new Prince and Princess of Wales will..."

So, I'm not sure that the LPs were already signed (in that case he could have said that he HAD created him Prince of Wales) but I assume they will be signed at some point today (unless they count on him announcing this to be sufficient for the moment).

And a great way to remove any doubt on how Catherine will be called going forward without the need to specifically state that she will indeed be known as Princess of Wales and not as Duchess of Cornwall (as Camilla was) or by any other title.

I suppose the announcement by the King is sufficient for them to be immediately called the Prince and Princess of Wales. A public notice that Letters Patent have passed will be published sometime later in the Crown Office's section of the London Gazette.

Last edited:
I suppose the announcement by the King is sufficient for them to be immediately called the Prince and Princess of Wales. A public notice that Letters Patent have been passed will be published sometime later in the Crown Office's section of the London Gazette.

No title changes yet on the royal.gov website but it has been changed on William and Catherine's twitter: https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal

Diana was pretty much Lady Di for alot of her marriage. I can't really remember when it switched to Princess and really for the longest time she was just Diana.

Some British newspapers started calling her Princess Diana as soon as she married Prince Charles but within 2 days, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said this was incorrect and she should be called 'The Princess of Wales' or just 'The Princess'.

The editor of Debrett's piped up and said that people will still call her Princess Diana and so will the media. According to the Daily Mirror archive, he was right as that paper referred to her as Princess Diana continuously through the 1980s and 1990s.

I think The Sun called her Princess Di for ages but I haven't seen that archive to check.

In America she was almost immediately known as Princess Diana or Princess Di after the wedding until her death. In France she was "Lady Di" her whole life.

In America she was almost immediately known as Princess Diana or Princess Di after the wedding until her death. In France she was "Lady Di" her whole life.

We always called her Lady Di for the longest time. Everyone around us did too.

Very good that William and Catherine were given the title of Prince and Princess of Wales. Although it might take me a bit not to think of Charles and Diana and the Prince and Princess of Wales.

We always called her Lady Di for the longest time. Everyone around us did too.

Not denying your personal experience with friends, family, and local media , but most national newspapers, magazines and TV shows called her Princess Diana or Princess Di from the wedding onwards. I have a vast collection of American media from the engagement til her death and it was very rare for American media to call her "Lady Di" after the wedding.

Last edited:

I think it's sheer laziness. Now they will call her "Princess Kate Middleton" mark my words.:ermm:

And so after just more than 200 years there is a new Princess Charlotte of Wales.

Oh, that is so sweet, thank you for pointing that out. :flowers:

What a show of confidence the King is giving to William and Catherine, it is the perfect decision to give them the Wales title immediately. So happy for them.

I must admit, when people say 'Princess of Wales', my mind automatically still goes to Diana, just as it goes to Charles when people say 'Prince of Wales'. The changes will take time to bed in. I'm sure it won't be long before I hear the titles and think of William and Catherine instead.

(...)

Well, when I read "The Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge", my first thought was Camilla and Catherine doing something together. Honestly, I'm still in denial that The Queen is no longer around and Charles is a king.

I am sure the US tabloid press will call her Princess Kate now, just as Diana was Princess Di or Princess Diana.

On an unrelated comment, I agree with other posters that it is good to have a Prince and a Princess of Wales again.

Isn't too late now? American media has already been calling her "Princess Kate" since her wedding. There's a lot video on YouTube from 10 years ago, ABC for example, where the anchor refers her as "Princess Kate", as well as Twitter feeds with one (including several royal watcher blogs who should have known better) which is why I'm surprised when Meghan ends up with "Duchess Meghan" and not "Princess" one.

Well, when I read "The Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge", my first thought was Camilla and Catherine doing something together. Honestly, I'm still in denial that The Queen is no longer around and Charles is a king.

Isn't too late now? American media has already been calling her "Princess Kate" since her wedding. There's a lot video on YouTube from 10 years ago, ABC for example, where the anchor refers her as "Princess Kate", as well as Twitter feeds with one (including several royal watcher blogs who should have known better) which is why I'm surprised when Meghan ends up with "Duchess Meghan" and not "Princess" one.

Kate also gets called "Duchess Kate" a fair amount on social media possibly by relatively new royal watchers, although maybe not as early as it started for Meghan or as much. Meghan has been styled "Duchess Meghan" when she's given an interview on the description on the screen although not as much as Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

I suspect there will be more people calling her Princess Kate or Princess Catherine now that she's directly associated with such a famous title officially. It's less awkward seeming than "Duchess first name".

Those that want to keep referring her as Kate Middleton for whatever reason will do so long after she dies. We do refer to a lot of historical Queen Consorts that way.

The "Duchess Kate" is quite recent, started around the same time as "Duchess Meghan", as far as I can remember pre-2018 it was always "Princess Kate" (or "Kate Middleton").

As for as referring consort by their maiden name, IMO it's actually rather understandable -- more for practicality than being disrespectful. I mean, when mentioning past "Anne", I'll have to wonder whether it's the wife of James II and VII or the wife of Henry VIII. It's easier (and more to the point) to use Anne Hyde or Anne Boleyn. The same will happen to "Queen Catherine" (Catherine of Aragon or Catherine Middleton?)

Not denying your personal experience with friends, family, and local media , but most national newspapers, magazines and TV shows called her Princess Diana or Princess Di from the wedding onwards. I have a vast collection of American media from the engagement til her death and it was very rare for American media to call her "Lady Di" after the wedding.

Well my experience was of British and Irish people. At one point that did stop though. Ironically I think it was after the marriage went south and then she was just Princess Diana. She was the Princess of Wales though too. I can’t really remember the media ever calling her a Lady Di though that was just people on the street. I mean I call the new Princess of Wales Kate Middleton all the time because that was the name she had when she was first in my consciousness. I guess as I guess it was similar with Diana. I remember people calling her what they first knew her as.

Kate also gets called "Duchess Kate" a fair amount on social media possibly by relatively new royal watchers, although maybe not as early as it started for Meghan or as much. Meghan has been styled "Duchess Meghan" when she's given an interview on the description on the screen although not as much as Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

I suspect there will be more people calling her Princess Kate or Princess Catherine now that she's directly associated with such a famous title officially. It's less awkward seeming than "Duchess first name".

Those that want to keep referring her as Kate Middleton for whatever reason will do so long after she dies. We do refer to a lot of historical Queen Consorts that way.

Omid Scobie. He is the only journalist that does and drives me nuts. Either her married name/title or her maiden name. Both are perfectly valid. Not a bastardisation or her title.

Oh, that is so sweet, thank you for pointing that out. :flowers:

What a show of confidence the King is giving to William and Catherine, it is the perfect decision to give them the Wales title immediately. So happy for them.

It was always going to be theirs and what choice did he have. There is only William and it’s tradition and Charles is a stickler for that.

Back
Top Bottom