Prince Maurits, Princess Marilène and Family, News and Pictures 1 (Jun 2004-Feb 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course people have different opinions. That's why public forums exist. If everyone thought the same this would be an awful world to live.

If royal women want to breastfeeding their babies in public fine, but then they wouldn't be surprised if the magazines post pictures of it. I respect other opinions that's I ask you to respect mine without writing "I think that those who are uncomfortable with seeing breastfeeding mothers in public are the ones with the problem, not those moms who are breastfeeding".

Thanks.

Regina, I didn't read anywhere in Alexandria's post where she said that women who don't nurse in public are any less of a good mother than women who do.

And I agree wholeheartedly with her opinion that people who are uncomfortable with seeing a nursing mother are the ones with the "problem". They should ask themselves what exactly makes them feel so uncomfortable.

I can't help but think that if, in our species, it was the male who was biologically equipped to feed his child, that it would be handled much differently. Men would do it with pride and would not be embarassed. They would probably be showing off about it to their male friends.:rolleyes:

Somewhere along the way, women learned to become ashamed of their bodies and its natural functions ... and that saddens me.

And ... back to Marilene ... can someone tell me what the headline is under the picture please?

Last edited:
Squidgy said:
Regina, I didn't read anywhere in Alexandria's post where she said that women who don't nurse in public are any less of a good mother than women who do./QUOTE]

I think Alexandria already explained and defended herself quite well, thank you.

Not only woman feel ashamed of their bodies, men feel that too, otherwise in summer we would go naked to the streets. What some people call shame I call decency but that's ok Squidy, that's your opinion and I respect it!

In altavista.com the direct translation for what is written in the magazine is "baby to the udder in town park --- this way free is princess marilene", but as I don't know dutch, I can't explain it better. :)

Yes, you have some good points Regina ... and I respect your opinions too. (What a boring world it would be if we all agreed on everything, right?):)

Thank you for the translation ... it is funny!

Squidgy said:
Thank you for the translation ... it is funny!

I hope we can find a better one :D Thanks Squidgy!

photofan said:
Well, that's only your opinion ok?:rolleyes:

wrongly or rightly that just how i feel. yes it is my opinion. whats your point?:confused: i get the feeling that your not one to respect others opinion even though they disagree with u.

Regina said:
I hope we can find a better one :D Thanks Squidgy!

It says something like:

Breastfeeding in park.
So 'open minded' is Marilène.

But the 'vrij' part (normally it's free, yes) is really difficult to translate. It's somewhere between 'free' and 'open minded', it means that Marilène doesn't have problems with breastfeeding in public.

Maxie said:
It says something like:

Breastfeeding in park.
So 'open minded' is Marilène.

But the 'vrij' part (normally it's free, yes) is really difficult to translate. It's somewhere between 'free' and 'open minded', it means that Marilène doesn't have problems with breastfeeding in public.

Thanks Maxie!! :)

Yes, thank you for the translation Maxie.:)

I feel badly for Marilene & Maurits. From what I can see (which is of course limited, since I don't live in the Netherlands) they have, up until now, done an excellent job of cooperating with the press. They don't really seem like the type who would seek publicity and probably would be just as happy to never see their picture in a magazine again. But, I think they realize, that because they are so popular, people are eager to see pictures of them - especially family pictures.

I wonder how long this intense press interest will last? Do you think that when Anna, Lucas & Felicia are adults, that they will still be followed around closely by photographers??

I think it will last as long as the good looks of Maurits and Marilene will last. That is what causes the press attention, the press has much less interest in the brothers of Maurits for example. Furthermore, they are ore known because they were the first royal couple to marry for over 20 years.

I think that it's valid to say that Marilene's privacy was not invaded because she was nursing in a public place rather than a paparazzo having used a long lens camera to take a picture of her nursing in her home. But I think it's tasteless and tacky that any magazine would print such an image or that anyone thought to take such an image and then sell it.

It's human indecency at it's worst and it's these kind of actions that give photographers a bad name and the paparazzi their rightfully earned name.

Regina said:
That's my opinion and you have to respect it (like I respected everyone who had different opinions from mine) without offending people who doesn't think the way you do. You are administrator of trf but that doesn't give you the right to try to be the "moralizer of people".

Thank you.

From my own experience you have to earn respect. Just because you share an opinon doesn't mean that everyone has to automatically respect it. Nothing posted by anyone here has been disrespectful or offensive that I can see.

I think you over reacted a little bit. Even though the administrators and moderators are supposed to be neutral they have opinons too and should be able to say them if they feel strongly enough about them. Or even if they don't they should be able to share whatever they feel.

Genevieve said:
From my own experience you have to earn respect. Just because you share an opinon doesn't mean that everyone has to automatically respect it. Nothing posted by anyone here has been disrespectful or offensive that I can see.

I think you over reacted a little bit. Even though the administrators and moderators are supposed to be neutral they have opinons too and should be able to say them if they feel strongly enough about them. Or even if they don't they should be able to share whatever they feel.

Genevieve, my conversation was with Alexandria, ok? We already explained each other by pm, so please don't start to create a polemic since this subject is already conclued.

In case anybody is interesting in seeing and hearing Prince Maurits, here is an old video. He is with the press at the registrar's office when registering the birth of his daughter. He's very goodlooking imo. :) http://media.rtvnh.nl/ramgen//AV/He...its-3%20juni.rm

Regina said:
Genevieve, my conversation was with Alexandria, ok? We already explained each other by pm, so please don't start to create a polemic since this subject is already conclued.

If the problem was between you and Alexandria then I think you should've taken it up with her by PM instead of posting your problem in the thread to which anyone could read and reply to. If it's in the thread then it's fair game to discussion and reply.

Genevieve said:
If the problem was between you and Alexandria then I think you should've taken it up with her by PM instead of posting your problem in the thread to which anyone could read and reply to. If it's in the thread then it's fair game to discussion and reply.
:) Ok, Dear Genevieve, thank you for your participation. :) But that kind of advices are made by the moderators (which you aren't), if you don't mind.

Last edited:
Marengo said:
I think it will last as long as the good looks of Maurits and Marilene will last. That is what causes the press attention, the press has much less interest in the brothers of Maurits for example. Furthermore, they are ore known because they were the first royal couple to marry for over 20 years.

Yes, I think (& hope) you are right Marengo. I hope, that for Maurits sake, he is not one of those men who remain eternally handsome (like Paul Newman for instance)!:)

As well, I think once all of the Queen's grandkids are in their teen years, the press will be so busy following them around (lucky them:rolleyes:) that there will be less attention on Margriet & Pieter's grandchildren.

Last edited:
For our sake, let's hope he does ;) !But I agree with you, Catharina-Amalia is already an eyecather, I can't wait when she joins the RF at Queensday! But probably WA and Maxima will wait a while, untill wee Amalia is more accustomed to the attention.

I would like to stress again that Marilene did NOT fed her daughter in a public place, but in a private garden which she rented with some neighbours!

Does anybody know the age of little Lucas btw? I saw a picture of him where he was already wearing glasses!!!

Little Lucas has been born on 26 October 2002.So he will be 3 very soon.

Marengo said:
I would like to stress again that Marilene did NOT fed her daughter in a public place, but in a private garden which she rented with some neighbours!

Ooops! I missed your original post where you stated that Marengo! I'm glad you re-stated it, because it is an important thing to clarify. But it doesn't change my opinion ... it only makes more convinced that her privacy was severely invaded.

Did Maurits & Marilene release an official/semi-official statement saying they were upset, or is it just something that is sort of rumoured?

And do they know how the picture was taken? Was it taken by a paparazzi photographer or was it taken by a neighbour who then sold it to Prive?

oskana said:
wrongly or rightly that just how i feel. yes it is my opinion. whats your point?:confused: i get the feeling that your not one to respect others opinion even though they disagree with u.

I didn't mean that, I was just clarifying that that's your opinion, and I respect everyone's opinion as yours too!;) everyone's opinion are welcome in the forums:)

Last edited:
No woman should be embarrassed to breast feed her child. However, there are better places to do it than others. If one is outside of the home, then try to find a restroom to do it discreetly. If you are in public and open your blouse to feed your child, then some people are going to look and stare, especially if you are part of a royal family. That is just reality. She should have thought carefully before breastfeeding in public. She HAD to have known that given the opportunity, papparazzi would shoot photos. I gaurantee you that Maxima, Laurentien and Mabel would never dream of nursing outside their homes.

Babies do eat often, but for nursing moms, there is a breast pump to pump milk. Milk is pumped so that you can feed your child without nursing in public. Sorry, but Marilene should be more careful. JMO

Last edited:
photofan said:
I didn't mean that, I was just clarifying that that's your opinion, and I respect everyone's opinion as yours too!;) everyone's opinion are welcome in the forums:)

i was confused as to what u meant....thank you for clarifying that:)

I really agree with you Paloma, I couldn't say better!!
Breastfeeding is a natural thing, obviously, the woman breast exist for that. But of course it's Not a very regal thing in front of strangers. Maxima and Laurentien are only the ones who never would breastfeeding. I'm sure the Infantas of Spain wouldn't do that, or Letizia or Mathilde of Belgium, just to give some examples.

paloma said:
No woman should be embarassed to breast feed her child. However, there better places to do it than others. If one is outside of the home, then try to find a restroom to do it discreetly. If you are in public and open your blouse to feed your child, then some people are going to look and stare, especially if you are part of a royal family. That is just reality. She should have thought carefully before breastfeeding in public. She HAD to have known that given the opportunity, papparazzi would shoot photos. I gaurantee you that Maxima or Laurentien would never dream of nursing outside their homes.

Babies do eat often, but for nursing moms, there is a breast pump to pump milk. Milk is pumped so that you can feed your child without nursing in public. Sorry, but Marilene should be more careful. JMO

Squidgy said:
Ooops! I missed your original post where you stated that Marengo! I'm glad you re-stated it, because it is an important thing to clarify. But it doesn't change my opinion ... it only makes more convinced that her privacy was severely invaded.

Did Maurits & Marilene release an official/semi-official statement saying they were upset, or is it just something that is sort of rumoured?

And do they know how the picture was taken? Was it taken by a paparazzi photographer or was it taken by a neighbour who then sold it to Prive?

Henri M posted this on the Benelux Royal MB, apparently the RVD has (I cannot find it on the wesite of the Royal House btw):

'

Acording to the Rijksvoorlichtingdsienst (Government Information Agency / RVD) it is no longer allowed to publish pictures from the four sons of Prof. mr. P. van Vollenhoven and HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands.

Anyone who still publishes pictures of the four sons' families will be prosecuted. The RVD stresses that it is about pictures made in private circumstances. Prince Maurits and Prince Bernhard and their wives can be photographed when they appear on public events like Queen's Day.

According to a verdict by the European Court of Justice (the case Caroline de Monaco vs the State of Germany), pictures which only aim to satisfy the public with details out of the private lifesphere are not allowed. The RVD has created a 'Media Code' for the family of HRH The Prince of Orange but now they have decided that they will follow the same policy for the families of the four sons of Prof. mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven and Princess Margriet as well.'

So apparently they took action indeed!!

Marengo said:
Henri M posted this on the Benelux Royal MB, apparently the RVD has (I cannot find it on the wesite of the Royal House btw):

'

Acording to the Rijksvoorlichtingdsienst (Government Information Agency / RVD) it is no longer allowed to publish pictures from the four sons of Prof. mr. P. van Vollenhoven and HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands.

Anyone who still publishes pictures of the four sons' families will be prosecuted. The RVD stresses that it is about pictures made in private circumstances. Prince Maurits and Prince Bernhard and their wives can be photographed when they appear on public events like Queen's Day.

According to a verdict by the European Court of Justice (the case Caroline de Monaco vs the State of Germany), pictures which only aim to satisfy the public with details out of the private lifesphere are not allowed. The RVD has created a 'Media Code' for the family of HRH The Prince of Orange but now they have decided that they will follow the same policy for the families of the four sons of Prof. mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven and Princess Margriet as well.'

So apparently they took action indeed!!

Thanks for the information Marengo.

I think that this is a good, protective mood for the entire van Vollenhoven family. Maurits and Bernhard Jr. already have young families but in the future Pieter-Christiaan and Floris will have young families that need to be protected from the paparazzi, too.

As someone else has already mentioned, as Willem, Constantijn and even Johan-Friso's children get older there will naturally be more interest in them as the Queen's grandchildren than Princess Margriet's grandchildren. But I think there will always be some small population who is interested in the lives of the van Vollenhoven grandchildren.

But personally I am a wee bit disappointed. It is very selfish of me to admit that I love the van Vollenhoven family and that I do enjoy looking at Peter Smulders' website for pictures of the young families going for walks or playing in the park. As neither Maurits and Mariiene or Bernhard Jr. and Annette do many royal engagements -- only one or two a year as far as I can think -- we'll hardly ever see them. :( But I understand and respect this decision.

I dont think this will end the pictures, Alexandria. Maxima and WA made a simular deal and still they were photographed during their holidays and t a fair in Wassenaar.

I do not think the magazines / paparazi will give their income away without a good fight, so they will probably continue publishing. Especially Prive-magazine has a problematic relationship with the RF and gets sued a lot.

paloma. I gaurantee you that Maxima or Laurentien would never dream of nursing outside their homes. JMO[/QUOTE said:
I'm wondering why do you say that about Maxima and Laurentien? why are they different to Marilene???:confused: I don't understand what you've meant... can you explain it to me?

Alexandria said:
I think that this is a good, protective mood for the entire van Vollenhoven family. Maurits and Bernhard Jr. already have young families but in the future Pieter-Christiaan and Floris will have young families that need to be protected from the paparazzi, too ...
But personally I am a wee bit disappointed. It is very selfish of me to admit that I love the van Vollenhoven family and that I do enjoy looking at Peter Smulders' website for pictures of the young families going for walks or playing in the park. As neither Maurits and Mariiene or Bernhard Jr. and Annette do many royal engagements -- only one or two a year as far as I can think -- we'll hardly ever see them. :( But I understand and respect this decision.

I share the same feelings Alexandria - on the one hand, I feel sad that I will maybe be seeing fewer pictures of the younger members of the Van Vollenhoven clan, but on the other, I can certainly understand why they felt the need to make such a decision. I would hate for Marilene to get to the point where she cannot leave her house without being followed by the press. (Who knows, maybe she is already at this point.) And obviously, one wonders what kind of effect is this having on the children - to always have photographers trailing them?

Marengo said:
I do not think the magazines / paparazi will give their income away without a good fight, so they will probably continue publishing. Especially Prive-magazine has a problematic relationship with the RF and gets sued a lot.

Thanks for all of your information today Marengo. Yes, that is a problem - how to encourage constraint in the press, when it is so lucrative to publish these types of pictures. I guess what it boils down to is: when people stop buying the magazines that publish invasive pictures, the magazines will stop purchasing the pictures from paparazzi. But will that ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom