Prince George, Duke of Kent and Princess Marina of Greece & Denmark - 1934

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the Queen Mum did not go to college, and was not a friend of Paul's. To my knowledge she didn't meet them until her marriage to Bertie.

I haven't heard that the Queen Mother didn't get along with Marina.

The Queen Mother actually knew Paul through her brother Michael. Prince Paul and Michael Bowes Lyon shared a flat together with a Lord Gage in London. From the book I have been reading, I am not sure if Michael and Paul (who attended Oxford but this was interrupted by the war) met in college or later. The Queen Mother, as Duchess of York, did attend Paul's wedding with the Duke of York. It is clear, however, that she was friendly with Paul before her marriage to Prince Albert and many thought that Paul was interested in possibly marrying her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you provide a source for that...in all the books that I have read on the BRF...I have never heard the suggestion Elizabeth would marry Paul. Many thanks :)

Can you provide a source for that...in all the books that I have read on the BRF...I have never heard the suggestion Elizabeth would marry Paul. Many thanks :)

My dear Zonk,

Of course. I read about this in The Queen Mother by Shawcross, p. 116. He also cites to the Grania Forbes biography of the young Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, My Darling Buffy. There was no indication that Queen Elizabeth considered marrying Paul but the implication is that he was one of many men who were keen on her.

Thank you Vasilios! I will check it out.

I found this Pathe newsreel of the procession of this wedding of the Duke of Kent to Marina, it strikes me as quite messy - the crowds all pushed up against the car etc - PARADE - British Pathe

I find the Pathe site has better footage than YouTube, as often it's broken down into - a procession reel, the ceremony, the honeymoon deparature, press shots, and crowd shots etc. YouTube has all sorts of **** on it!!

The Queen Mother actually knew Paul through her brother Michael. Prince Paul and Michael Bowes Lyon shared a flat together with a Lord Gage in London. From the book I have been reading, I am not sure if Michael and Paul (who attended Oxford but this was interrupted by the war) met in college or later. The Queen Mother, as Duchess of York, did attend Paul's wedding with the Duke of York. It is clear, however, that she was friendly with Paul before her marriage to Prince Albert and many thought that Paul was interested in possibly marrying her.

Thanks for all the info you mentioned :flowers: I was right, I have read it many times in books and other forums as well. No Zonk the QM didn't go or graduate from college, I never said she did ;) but I remembered that their first meeting, with Prince Paul I mean, was somehow connected to a college. ;) And may I add, it is common knowledge that from then on the 2 royal couples, Olga & Paul and TQM & Bertie shared an everlasting friendship. Maybe I should have said re Marina & TQM that they weren't in the best terms at the early stage of their relationship, when they were both young brides of the BRF and sisters-in-law. At least at the early stage, I should have clarified that :ermm: I'm sorry! :) Addition: I read my post again,, I had written that TQM & Paul were classmates in college..oops, I got it all wrong and also confused you, Zonk! :bang: Now I'm really really sorry :ermm: :flowers:

Last edited:
I noticed that in the officials photos Marina is wearing a family order, that of her father in law I guess. She is the only BRF bride of that generation I noticed wearing a family order -or am I wrong

Princess Marina was rather pretty, not like Irina (who I confused her for). She seems to have been more glamourous than beautiful, yet still was by no means ugly. I wonder how her son ended up looking like Tsar Nicholas, I know she is descended from the Romanovs, but it just seems so random for one of her sons to end up looking like Nicholas when I believe they are second or third cousins.
As for her wedding dress, good gawd that is beautiful! Where is that dress, it definitely needs to be on display.

Last edited:
I believe Prince Michael resembles the late Czar due to the many familial connections so its hard to pick one really: Alexandra and Minnie were sisters (although the grandmother to the mother connection is a stretch) and Marina's mother was a Grand Duchess prior to her marriage.Than there is the Alexandra (from Princess Alice) and Edward (Edward VII) link. But really, its been said that family looks can come back a generation or two (or three) and maybe that's what happened in this case.

Prince Michael only looks like Nicholas quite recently, if you look at younger picture of both of them you wouldn't know they were related IMO.

Well George V and Nicholas II were first cousins and look so much alike they were often confused with each other. Prince Michael is a grandson of George V and also has Romanoff blood so that could explain the resemblence.

The beard helps a lot. Michael has inherited the "Danish eyes" from Queen Alexandra, IMO (just like his grandfather, father and son). The nose as well I think, but the rather little mouth and chin are definitely coming from his mother and thus with a beard he bears a strong resemblance to his grandfather who was of course often compared and once even mistaken for his cousin Nicholas. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the information!
Princess Marina's dress is a fine example of refined simplicity that is difficult to achieve. Princess Marine had air of regal reserve and aloofness. The material is quite amazing.

Last edited:
I believe it was a beautiful gown at that time. Also note that Princess Marina began to lose weight after her wedding, she definitely looked chubby around 30. Marriage did much good to her!

Me too, AND I incredibly grateful for whoever posted Link 1. However, as I too am working on a biography of Prince George, (aainst the well-known odds!), is there anyone I could be referred to who I might be able to ask to post the other parts of the documentary the same way as this one, because this I can manage to access? MTIA
Craig

Last edited:
Two more pictures, the couple with bridesmaids:

weddgroup.jpg

from l. to r.: Princess Catherine of Greece, Lady Iris Mountbatten, the Prince of Wales, Princess Eugénie of Greece, the bridal couple, Princess Kira of Russia, the Duke of York, Princess Irene of Greece and Crown Princess Juliana of the Netherlands. In front, lady May Cambridge (future Duchess of Beaufort) and Princess Elizabeth of York.

On the balcony of Buckingham Palace:

weddbalcony.jpg

In the top photo is listed Princess Kira of Russia. Is she also a Grand Duchess of Russia?

That depends if you recognise her father as head of the house or not. But in general only children and grand children of a Tsar would be Grand Duke/Duchess. Kira is a great-grand daughter of Tsar Alexander II, and thus born as a princess. Her father used the term 'Emperor' for himself since 1924, so I suppose that would mean that Kira became a Grand Duchess that year too. Though Kirill's claim was contested by family members due to his mothers Lutheran faith.

The Russian Kokoshnik Tiara was presented to Princess Alexandra, Princess of Wales, in 1888. Alexandra's sister, the Empress of Russia, had a tiara like this. Was Princess Marina's tiara a Russian Kokoshnik Tiara?

When on August 28th, 1934 the engagement was announced, Princess Marina was so unknown in England that Fleet Street had no photographs of her.:unsure::princess2:

Princess Marina, accompanied by her father, walked towards the altar as the choir sang Sir John Stainer's hymn Gracious Spirit, Holy Ghost.

Last edited by a moderator:
When on August 28th, 1934 the engagement was announced, Princess Marina was so unknown in England that Fleet Street had no photographs of her.:unsure::princess2:

I remember those days. :) Everyone wanted to see the new bride, it was a true fairytale!

I don't know how the tiara is called but it is now owned by prince Michael of Kent and worn by his wife, as you can see here. I believe Pss. Marina inherited this fringe tiara from her mother, Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia, who wears it here.

The tiara which Princess Marina wore was the Vladimir Fringe Tiara. The original owner of the fringe tiara was Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna, the wife of Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich of Russia. :crown2::crown2::crown2::crown2:

"Alleluia" hymn for the wedding of Prince George and Princess Marina in 1934

Of all of the sons of King George V, George the DoK was the best-looking, IMO. I also think that Prince William has similar pleasing facial features.

I always thought that George and Marina were very sophisticated and worldly in their understanding of things, and any romantic distractions or discreet extramarital activity was not considered serious. Of course I may be wrong, but Marina had worked in Paris … possibly as a vendeuse? where she would be exposed to that sort of thing.

It would be lovely if Lady Gabriella included this at her own wedding.

The 1934 wedding of Prince George, Duke of Kent and Princess Marina of Kent was the first royal wedding to be broadcast on the radio.

The 1934 wedding of Prince George, Duke of Kent and Princess Marina of Kent was the first royal wedding to be broadcast on the radio.

What a pity the camera's weren't allowed in!

Dd Princess Marina and Prince George have a Greek Orthodox service that preceded the wedding at Westminster Abbey?

Back
Top Bottom