On This Day: British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
July 23, 1596 death of Henry Carey, 1st Baron Hunsdon.

He was married to Anne Morgan May 21, 1545. She was the daughter of Sir Thomas Morgan. She bore him 13 children, 2 who died in infancy. Anne would die in 1607.

Their children:

-George: succeeded his father as Baron. Like his father he was a patron of the arts and Shakespeare. He married Elizabeth Spencer, daughter of Sir John Spencer of Althorpe. Elizabeth was a patroness herself including of Edmund Spencer who she was distantly related to. They had one daughter Elizabeth.

-John: succeeded his brother as the 3rd baron. He married Mary Hyde daughter of Leonard Hyde of Hyde Hall and Throcking. They had 3 sons and 2 daughters. He was succeeded by his second son.

-Henry: was a MP for Berwick and Buckingham

-Thomas: died in infancy

-Thomas: like his elder brother of the same name, died young

-William: nothing known

-Edmund: was in his father's army. He was married three times, his second wife Elizabeth was a daughter of John Nevill, Baron Latimer. He had five children by his first wife.

-Robert: was named 1st earl of Monmouth. His wife Elizabeth was the daughter of Sir Hugh Trevannion. They were first cousins as Elizabeth's mother Sybila was Anne Morgan's younger sister. They had 3 children. he was succeeded as earl by his eldest son.

-Joan: nothing known

-Catherine: first wife of Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham. She bore him five children, their second son succeeding him as earl. He would later marry a daughter of the Earl of Moray and have 2 other children.

-Philadelphia: was married to Thomas Scrope, 10th Baron Scrope of Bolton. They had one son Emanuel Scrope, 1st Earl of Sunderland.

-Margaret: married parliament member Sir Edward Hoby.

-Elizabeth: unknown

-Anne: unknown

-Eleanor: unknown

-Matilda: unknown

He had several bastards including the son born by Emily. Two are known.

-Valentine: his mother is unknown but it is said he was born to Henry when he was governor of Berwick. He left some of Henry's grandchildren in his will. He was Bishop of Exeter.

-Henry: son of Emily Lanier. Was raised by her and her husband Alfonso. Henry would marry Joyce Mansfield and have 2 children. He seems to have died when his children were young as records seem to imply his mother was left providing financially for them after his death.

The Wikipedia article this information was taken from is not 100% accurate. For example, Lord Hunsdon did not have daughters named Joan, Elizabeth, Anne, Eleanor, or Matilda, nor does Wikipedia cite a source for their existence.

Likewise, it is *believed* he was the father of Valentine Carey, Bishop of Exeter, but there isn't any proof.

Diana Princess of Wales was a descendant several times over of Lord Hunsdon as well as his sister Catherine (Carey) Knollys. So is Sarah Duchess of York. The Queen Mother was a descendant of his sister Catherine (Carey) Knollys but not Lord Hunsdon.

Last edited:
The Wikipedia article this information was taken from is not 100% accurate. For example, Lord Hunsdon did not have daughters named Joan, Elizabeth, Anne, Eleanor, or Matilda, nor does Wikipedia cite a source for their existence.

Likewise, it is *believed* he was the father of Valentine Carey, Bishop of Exeter, but there isn't any proof.

Diana Princess of Wales was a descendant several times over of Lord Hunsdon as well as his sister Catherine (Carey) Knollys. So is Sarah Duchess of York. The Queen Mother was a descendant of his sister Catherine (Carey) Knollys but not Lord Hunsdon.

Note I said it is thought that Valentine......

I use Wikipedia for my born/dead list. Not for my information.

I didn’t think the need to list my sites but this is one

https://www.tudorsociety.com/henry-carey-sarah-bryson/

I used Wikipedia for names of his kids as all I could find from a half dozen history sites was he had between 12-13 kids but not a full list on names.

I am a history buff and I use this as a way to relax after a long day at work. I think I will take a break from it for a while.

I so enjoy your contributions, Countessmeout. Thank you.

Glad to know someone enjoyed reading.

It was a way for me to relax.

Last edited:
:previous:

I also enjoy reading both your & An Ard Ri's updates Countessmeout.:flowers:

Note I said it is thought that Valentine......

Actually you said "his mother is unknown but it is said he was born to Henry when he was governor of Berwick." You did not use the word "thought."

I use Wikipedia for my born/dead list. Not for my information.

I didn’t think the need to list my sites but this is one

https://www.tudorsociety.com/henry-carey-sarah-bryson/

I used Wikipedia for names of his kids as all I could find from a half dozen history sites was he had between 12-13 kids but not a full list on names.
Yes, and Wikipedia shows 16 children not 12-13.

I am a history buff and I use this as a way to relax after a long day at work. I think I will take a break from it for a while.

I've enjoyed and appreciated your posts and hope to see you continue, and I've enjoyed and appreciated the posts by Gawin and other history buffs and hope to see them continue also. I've been thankful to read contributions from various different members, including those who've kindly taken the time to respond with further information and factchecking, the latter being valuable given the circulation of unsubstantiated and/or false information about royalty (at times even in normally reliable sources, e.g. the eventually-corrected claim by the BBC that Edo Mapelli Mozzi was "Italian").

On this day, July 29, 1565 ~ The wedding of Mary, Queen of Scots and Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley

3rd of August 1460 : Death of King James II of Scotland at Roxburgh Castle, Scotland following an accidental explosion of a cannon.

His remains were buried at the royal vault of Holyrood Abbey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_II_of_Scotland

191px-James_II_of_Scotland_17th_century.jpg

I had to come off a break from this board for one day at least. The birthday of my favorite modern royal lady.

August 4, 1900- birth of Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, future Queen Mum.

Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon was the 9th child of 10 children of Claude Bowes-Lyon who at the time of her birth was Lord Glamis. Her mother was Cecilia Cavendish-Bentinck. As she was born during the life time of her grandfather, also Claude Bowes-Lyon, she was born The Honorable Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. After her grandfather died when she was four, and her father succeeded as the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, she held the courtesy title lady.

Her location of birth is questionable. She may have been born at her parents home in Westminster or on the way to the hospital. Her birth though was in the 1901 census listed as being at her family's English country home St Paul's Walden Bury. She was baptized at the local parish with her paternal aunt Lady Maude Bowes-Lyon and her maternal cousin Venetia James among her godparents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul's_Walden_Bury

She had six brothers and three sisters. Her only younger sibling was her brother David who died while visiting her, at Birkhall in 1961. Margaret was seven months pregnant when he died, and named her son David after him.

She spent her childhood between St Paul's and Glammis castle.

She was 14 when Britain entered WWI. Four of her brothers served in the army. Her brother Fergus died and her brother Michael who was MIA turned out to be a POW. Glammis was used as a field hospital during the war and while she was too young to be a nurse, she helped in running it. She helped save many items in the castle during a fire. She was remembered kindly by the soldiers she helped take care of during the war.

Albert, at the time the Duke of York and second son of George V first sought her hand in 1921. Elizabeth though was opposed to marrying a royal worried about losing her voice and freedom. When Albert refused to marry anyone but her, his mother Mary headed for Scotland to speak to her. Mary came back, quite convinced Elizabeth was the perfect wife for her son, but not willing to interfere for Albert.

His second attempt came in 1922 when his sister Princess Mary got married. Elizabeth had served as a bridesmaid in the wedding. She once again turned him down but Bertie was not to be discouraged. Third time was the charm for when he proposed in 1923 in January she finally agreed to wed him. His marriage to a daughter of a peer and not a royal was seen a sign of modernity.

They married April 26, 1923 at Westminster. She started the tradition of laying the bouquet on the tomb of the unknown warrior as she laid her bouquet in honor of Fergus. They honeymooned at the home of Margaret Greville (the woman who bequeathed the Greville jewels to her on her death) and then headed to Scotland where unfortunately they got whooping cough.

Their first child, the current Elizabeth II, was born in 1926 in London. Their daughter Margaret was born at her family home Glamis in 1930.

Her father in law died in 1936 and Edward became Edward VIII. Edward VIII in his wish to marry his American mistress Wallis, abdicated the throne and Elizabeth's husband found himself king December 11, 1936. The couple were crowned May 12, 1937 at Westminster Abbey.

Elizabeth was queen consort from 1936-1952. During WWII she refused to leave London and go to Canada with her daughter as cabinet wanted. She refused to leave her husband or send the girls away. Her and Bertie were symbols of the fight against fascism for their people. She toured hospitals and other spots. They remained at Windsor palace at night for safety, using Buckingham palace only for work during those years.

Sadly her husband died from cancer in 1952 when their daughter Elizabeth and Philip were on tour in Kenya. She retired for a short time following her husband's death to Scotland but she returned to London and was as busy as dowager queen as she had been as queen consort. She became known as the Queen Mum to distinguish her from her daughter.

She restored the Castle of Mey in Scotland which became her private retreat in the summer for a few weeks. And renewed an interest in horse racing.

Elizabeth's final engagements were in November 2001. Her daughter Margaret died 3 days after the anniversary of Bertie's death in 2002. She flew by helicopter so that she would not be photographed in her wheel chair, insisting on attending her daughter's funeral.

On March 30 she died at Royal Lodge. At the time of her death she was the longest living member of the royal family dying at 101 and 238 days. Her sister in law Alice would surpass her, dying at 102 in 2004.

Her funeral was held April 9 at Westminster Abbey with a million people lining the streets to see it. She was buried with her husband and daughter. Her funeral wreath was laid on the tomb of the unknown soldier, as a nod to her wedding almost 79 years earlier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen...don_England_Victor_Grigas_2011-31_cropped.jpg

She was out lived by one daughter, 6 grandchildren and 9 great-grandchildren. She now has 12 great-grandchildren and 8 great-great grandchildren. Unfortunately her grandson David's daughter Margarita was born in May 2002, her mother pregnant with her during both the funerals of the Queen Mum and Princess Margaret.

Last edited:
Thank you. How cute that Albert proposed three times. He wasn't one to be put off!
And what a whoop of a honeymoon. Ha ha. I can see how The Queen Mother would have revelled in the countryside of Scotland, given her upbringing.

(I assume that WWII is a typo.) I have read before of the mystery about her birth. Wouldn't it be good if some members of the BRF wrote clarifications of some aspects of their relatives' lives ... for the sake of history? And to entertain us who might enjoy the revelations.

Last edited:
Thank you a second time. When she was The Duchess of York, Elizabeth wanted the Archbishop of York to officiate at her daughter's christening.

On this day, August 6, 1820 ~ Demise of Frederica, Duchess of York, the spouse of Frederick, Duke of York

9th of August 1902 ,Coronation of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra at Westminster Abbey.The ceremony was performed by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Frederick Temple who died a few months later.The Coronation had originally been set for the 26th of June but the king fell ill and needed surgery so it was rescheduled for August.

600px-Edward_VII_and_Alexandra_coronation_portraits.jpg

On this day, August 10, 1520 ~ Birth of Madeleine of Valois, the daughter of King Francis I of France. She was the wife of King James V of Scotland.

On this day, August 10, 1520 ~ Birth of Madeleine of Valois, the daughter of King Francis I of France. She was the wife of King James V of Scotland.

Due to the frail health of Madeleine de Valois her father the king had proposed a union between James V and Marie de Bourbon-Vendôme who was the daughter of Charles, Duke of Vendôme.

Marie_de_Bourbon_%281515%E2%80%9338%29.jpg

12 August 1315 : Death of Guy de Beauchamp, 10th Earl of Warwick

Guy was one of the most important English military commanders and nobles under Edward I but he ran into conflict with Edward II and with the kings favourite Piers Gaveston whom he later abducted and had him executed.

The Earl died a few years later and was buried at the now ruined Bordesley Abbey in Worcestershire.

Engraving of Guy de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick standing over the decapitated body of Piers Gaveston.

310px-Guy_de_Beauchamp.jpg

Poor old Gaveston's never had a good press. That's quite the bloodthirsty image.:ohmy:

Poor old Gaveston's never had a good press. That's quite the bloodthirsty image.:ohmy:

Sadly even his tomb at King's Langley Priory was destroyed during the reformation.

The Priory church also contained the burials of the Following

Thomas of Windsor son of Edward III +1348
Sir Ralph Stafford +1385
Isabella of Castile, Duchess of York +1392
Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York +1402
Lady Anne de Mortimer +1411

Thank you.:flowers:

I was in Salisbury Cathedral today (very few visitors compared to the last time I went) & there are some wonderful tombs. Lovely & cool inside compared to the furnace like heat outside.:eek:

Thank you.:flowers:

I was in Salisbury Cathedral today (very few visitors compared to the last time I went) & there are some wonderful tombs. Lovely & cool inside compared to the furnace like heat outside.:eek:

Lovely to visit these places hope you had a nice time and yes in the cool!

Yes I did thank you. Not too far out of Salisbury is Old Sarum where Eleanor of Aquitaine was imprisoned for many years before Richard released her.

On this day, August 13, 1792 ~ Birth of Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, Queen Consort of King William IV of Great Britain

Yes I did thank you. Not too far out of Salisbury is Old Sarum where Eleanor of Aquitaine was imprisoned for many years before Richard released her.
So much rich history in that area.

A cruel end for Margaret Pole. Judicial murder really.

On this day, August 17, 1786 ~ Birth of Viktoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, Duchess of Kent, the mother of Queen Victoria of England

On this day, August 19, 1274 ~ Coronation of King Edward I in Westminster Abbey in London, England

Back
Top Bottom