Monaco's succession issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. But how can the children be heirs if theypre no titled? And why aren't they? was it their parents's decision?

Yes they can be in the line of Succession without having a title,another example is the UK's Zara Philips .Camille Gottlieb daughter of Princess Stephanie is not in the line of succession as she was born outside wedlock.

Perhaps Caroline & Stephanie didn't want titles for their children.

Here's a link which should answer all your questions.

Line of succession to the Monegasque throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Titles only pass thru the male side. Caroline and Stephanie's children could have been given honorary titles but the mother's didn't want them to have titles. Even though they don't have titles they still have the bloodline so are in line to inherit if PA doesn't have any children.

Hi! I've always wonderedin case Albert and Charlene have a daughter, if she can go to the throne or if their child must be a boy....
This point is not clear to me.

Hi! I've always wonderedin case Albert and Charlene have a daughter, if she can go to the throne or if their child must be a boy....
This point is not clear to me.

Yes she can but she can currently be displaced by the birth of a brother as Monaco's succession rules are male-preference cognatic primogeniture.

For the moment there is no baby, girl or boy, and time is running!
As far as I wish a baby to the Princely couple, so far I do not fear for the sucession in Monaco, there is plenty of heirs in the family.

yes, I was just asking out of curiosity.... I personally don't think they will have children. Just asking

In 1478 Lambert Grimaldi amended the laws of succession to exclude those family members who had entered the Church.

In 1478 Lambert Grimaldi amended the laws of succession to exclude those family members who had taken Holy Orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean the family members who had taken Holy Orders when you say "entered the Church"?

Last edited:
Can anyone translate the above into English please? It's rather difficult when articles in Spanish, Russian, French, Italian, etc are posted and not translated...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Can anyone translate the above into English please? It's rather difficult when articles in Spanish, Russian, French, Italian, etc are posted and not translated...

Google Translate
Just paste de link in google translate, often gives good enough result to get the gist of the article..

Thanks, Lee-Z, that worked!

With the birth of the twins here's the new Line of succession to the Monegasque throne.

200px-Great_coat_of_arms_of_the_house_of_Grimaldi.svg.png

(1) HSH Hereditary Prince Jacques ,Marquis des Baux
(2) HSH Princess Gabriella, Countess of Carladès
(3) HRH The Princess of Hanover
(4) Andrea Casiraghi
(5) Alexandre Casiraghi
(6) Pierre Casiraghi
(7) Charlotte Casiraghi
(8) HRH Princess Alexandra of Hanover
(9) Princess Stéphanie
(10) Louis Ducruet
(11) Pauline Ducruet

Last edited:
It is Marquis des Baux, not de Baux...

A petite corrcection :flowers:

Les-Baux-de-Provence is one of the most popular tourist spots in the Provence. It is one of the most pittoresque places but eeerh... very touristic, as a result. Carladès is really an "empty" but very beautiful nature region under Clermont-Ferrand.

In Les Baux there are still references to the Grimalis, like the Place Rainier III which is usually in use as an exposition venue. Aerial of Les Baux: http://www.lesbauxdeprovence.com/sites/default/files/field/image/les_baux-de-provence_7.jpg

Last edited:
It is correction not corrcection :)

With the birth of the twins here's the new Line of succession to the Monegasque throne.
(1) HSH Hereditary Prince Jacques ,Marquis des Baux
(2) HSH Princess Gabriella, Countess of Carladès
(3) HRH The Princess of Hanover
(4) Andrea Casiraghi
(5) Alexandre Casiraghi
(6) Pierre Casiraghi
(7) Charlotte Casiraghi
(8) HRH Princess Alexandra of Hanover
(9) Princess Stéphanie
(10) Louis Ducruet
(11) Pauline Ducruet

Just had a look back at when this thread started: P.Rainier was still alive, we all pretty much thought P.Albert would remain a bachelor and initially the question was: would P.Caroline succeed (after Albert) or would she step aside and let her son Andrea be heir, and whether that would mean that Andrea would have to be adopted by his uncle

A lot has changed in 10 years :)

Prince Albert was then the The Hereditary Prince of Monaco and Marquis of Baux and yes I never thought he would marry too!

I've often wondered: If Albert passes away when his son is still relatively young (underage) what is ging to happen? I can't see a Charlene's regency... Or better, maybe only as representative but I honestly can't see her doing regular meetings etc...

I've often wondered: If Albert passes away when his son is still relatively young (underage) what is ging to happen? I can't see a Charlene's regency... Or better, maybe only as representative but I honestly can't see her doing regular meetings etc...

A regent will have to be established, but that isn't automatically the mother. In othe european countries provisions were made should the situation occur, if that hasn't happened yet in Monaco, i'm sure they will do so in due time (imo P.Albert is a very professional monarch, he won't leave things like this to chance)

I could see P.Caroline as regent too, or Pierre Casiraghi, or maybe Charlene herself; i have a feeling this birth will change more for her than just having two kids

A regent will have to be established, but that isn't automatically the mother. In othe european countries provisions were made should the situation occur, if that hasn't happened yet in Monaco, i'm sure they will do so in due time (imo P.Albert is a very professional monarch, he won't leave things like this to chance)

I could see P.Caroline as regent too, or Pierre Casiraghi, or maybe Charlene herself; i have a feeling this birth will change more for her than just having two kids

I hope nothing happens to Albert of course but I guess this things should be panned because no one knows what it might happen in the future... As for Charlene: I don't think she would be a competent regent... don't get me wrong but she hasn't th experience to deal with economy, politics etc... I don't know if you get what I mean...

I hope nothing happens to Albert of course but I guess this things should be panned because no one knows what it might happen in the future... As for Charlene: I don't think she would be a competent regent... don't get me wrong but she hasn't th experience to deal with economy, politics etc... I don't know if you get what I mean...

Yes, i know what you mean, at this moment i can't really see it too... but who knows what will happen now this new stage in their life has begun.

In the NL recently it was established that Q.Maxima would be regent, would the situation occur, and Maxima and Charlene seem to be close, so maybe Charlene can take some guidance from here

But ofcourse it would be better if P.Albert had a long and healthy life and would reign until he was well in his 80's :flowers:

Yes, i know what you mean, at this moment i can't really see it too... but who knows what will happen now this new stage in their life has begun.

In the NL recently it was established that Q.Maxima would be regent, would the situation occur, and Maxima and Charlene seem to be close, so maybe Charlene can take some guidance from here

But ofcourse it would be better if P.Albert had a long and healthy life and would reign until he was well in his 80's :flowers:

I was alsothinking that if this scenario sould presents itself maybe she would be regent just formally and the work would be done behind the scenes by Andrea, Pierre or Caroline etc... Of course, I wish Albert a long life as a monarch!

I did not realize Albert was nearly 57. I hope he lives long enough that Jacques can enjoy his youth, and I include his 20's in "youth". I think the idea of regency needs to be extended until the age of at least 25, because people today require that many years in education for such a position; or perhaps a more flexible concept of regency so that the actual sovereign can finish education. It was all well and good for Victoria to take the throne at 18 when college was neither a reality or a necessity.

I hope this is an academic discussion, for all the little heirs out there. :flowers:

PA travels so much I have a feeling that the prime minister is pretty much running the country and PA signs off on it. Also, if anything happens to PA, Charlene will still have team Monaco of PC, PS and their kids. The Grimaldis are very good planners. I'm sure they have thought of all of problems that could happen. That's why they have survived for 700 years.

Princess Charlene would be the regent under the Monegasque house law.

Pendant la minorité du Prince, la régence est exercée par l'Epouse du Prince défunt qui a la garde de l'Enfant ou, à défaut, par l'héritier majeur le plus proche dans l'ordre successoral.
Google translation: “During the minority of the Prince, the regency is exercised by the late Prince’s wife who has the child's custody or, failing that, the nearest major heir in the order of succession.”

:previous: Thanks!

So by law Charlene would be regent... But I guess she would be helped A LOT

:previous: Thanks!

So by law Charlene would be regent... But I guess she would be helped A LOT

Of course, like also Prince Albert II is not the executive: like in all monarchies the daily proceedings are firmly in hands of the Government. In Monaco this is under jurisdiction of the Minister of State, at present the Frenchman Monsieur Michel Roger, and six ministerial departments. There are 4.000 people working for the gouvernement princier. All what the Prince or the eventual Regentess (will) see is fully prepared by the Cabinet.

:flowers:

Last edited:
To be frank Charlene doesn't even speak the language so forgive me if I'm skeptic

To be frank Charlene doesn't even speak the language so forgive me if I'm skeptic

She does not need to speak the language. The secretary will give her a document and say "Madame, votre signature.... ici, oui, .... merci bien!"

The daily proceedings in the principality, the rule of law, the supply of energy, the health care, the public services, etc., it will continue to work, even with a Regentess not fluent in French. Note that there have been underaged Sovereigns and the State simply continued to work....

:flowers:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom