Languages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Char speaks mainly French and maybe English when she's around the Dellals. But she doesn't get to speak a lot of Italian! She says she can read and understand perfectly but never practices. As for the Casiraghi Trio speaking Portuguese, I highly doubt that.

^Actually, for sometime now, I have suspected that Tatiana is well versed in Portuguese because of her Brazilian mother, and maybe Andrea picked up some of that from her. Also, the Casiraghis have spent a lot of summer holidays at Charlotte's godmother's in Portugual, and then there are the recent trips to Brazil, so..... I don't know. I mean, I'm sure Albina is French all the way, and Tatiana probably speaks French and English above anything, but still, it wouldn't surprise me if they all knew a little Portuguese. I think Andrea is more likely to speak English and/or French with Tatiana, and they might speak some Portuguese in Brazil, and maybe a little Spanish when they go to Ibiza/Formentera. And Charlotte's boyfriend is, like Tatiana, half-Brazilian. Remember that he spent much time there as a kid. No doubt Charlotte and Alex are most comfortable with English, together, but I'm guessing Alex is at least partially fluent in Portuguese.

Louis says on his facebook page that he speaks french, english, italian and ... japonese (it really surprises me)

ummmm i don't know... maybe it's just a joke

Maybe he's not really fluent but knows a bit.

Mmm...given that case, i should i to mine, French. I'm not fluent but, i do know a little.

Did Princess Grace learn the Swahili language from her classic movie "Mogambo" (1953)?

:previous:
Could very well be possible, I never thought of that. Good thinking!

Mogambo was set in Africa :)

Prince Albert can speak English in American Accent, but Princess Caroline in British Accent? Where did she learn British English?

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Albert can speak English in American Accent, but Princess Caroline in British Accent? Where did she learn British English?

She went to boarding school in England, St. Mary's Ascot for high school. She probably picked up some there.

Mogambo was set in Africa :)

A lot depends on who teaches them the language. Here in the States we have several different accents. Their governess was British and Albert spend summers at Camp in the States, four years in Massachusetts at college plus New York City while he was interning. Grace would have also had an influence on the accent.

Well Grace when she dropped the Philly accent did adopt a sort of British accent, and then you have to remember that Caroline spent time at school in England.

Last edited:
Prince Rainier spoke excellent British. He also went to boarding school for a time in England. Plus, most people in Europe speak with a British accent.

Alexandra talking english with her german dad?
I think that's kind of weird :ermm:

Her dad is a British Royal actually. Only German by descent. Now, if Germany/Hanover were still a territorial monarchy, he would be considered a German Royal. Ernest grew up in England (and married and began to raise his sons with Chantal there) and Germany, therefore speaks both English and German. He and Alexandra probably speak English and German with each other.

According to the College FANB website, Alexandra could possibly be taking classes in Latin, English (which we believe she's already fluent in), Spanish, Italian, German (which we believe she's already fluent in) and of course, French in her grade level. {source}.

Ok maybe that's my fault for believing (almost) everything that's printed in the press.
Ernst August is german to them so I got on the wrong track ;)

Her dad is a British Royal actually. . {source}.

I doubt if the BRF or the British people would consider him a British Royal or even just Britsh regardless of how much time he has spent in the UK. He is a German, even though he used to have a rather distant place in the British line of succession.

Last edited:
And Swahili is the largest single language in Africa. So perhaps Grace was conversational/conversant.

People inside of families often use different languages in speaking to one another (One speaks English, the other responds in German, all kinds of combinations). That's actually the best way to raise multilingual children.

I am surprised that Grace is listed as fluent in French if her husband always spoke to her in English, though. One would think he would have wanted to sometimes communicate in the nuances that French allows (just as English has its rich vocabulary, it also sometimes lacks words for some French parole).

Well in one of Graces biographies Father Tucker is quoted as saying Rainier once commented on how good Graces French was and Tucker responded that he knew love was blind but he did not know it was deaf as well.

Last edited:
It's not a "real" language but I've heard that Princess Charlene can "speak" sign language because one of her swimming colleagues is deaf.

Well in one of Graces biographies Father Tucker is quoted as saying Rainier once commented on how good Graces French was and Tucker responded that he knew love was blind but he did not know it was deaf as well.

I rememeber reading somewhere that PCs Grace, all her life as a Princess was very anxious and complexed about her bad french. So I doubt that her French was good, considering that at home she was speaking english to every one.

It was reported that Caroline and Ernst August talked in English to each other, so no wonder if Alexandra speaks English with her father too. I also read that EA prefers speaking English than German.

I doubt if the BRF or the British people would consider him a British Royal or even just Britsh regardless of how much time he has spent in the UK. He is a German, even though he used to have a rather distant place in the British line of succession.

He's a descendant of George IV. And Electress Sophia. He's a British Royal.

He's a descendant of George IV. And Electress Sophia. He's a British Royal.

I'm with NGalitzine on this one.

He is only a rather 'distant relation' of the BRF. EA is NOT a British Subject. I doubt if the Queen would regard him as a member of the Royal Family. EA was only ever distantly in the line of succession, but gave up that right when he married Caroline, as she is a Catholic. I stand to be corrected on this one, but personally I have NEVER seen him at Royal Events. He may of course be present, but I have never seen him at one. Perhaps some expert can help me with this, please?

Last edited:
EA is not descended from George IV. That Kings only legitimate child was Charlotte and she died in child birth, a death that would unltimately put Victoria on the throne. To consider EA a member of the BRF you would also have to say the same of Harold, Carl Gustaf, Margarethe , along with hundreds of others, who also descend from Electress Sophia and who still do have distant places in the succession.

I'm with NGalitzine on this one.

He is only a rather 'distant relation' of the BRF. EA is NOT a British Subject. I doubt if the Queen would regard him as a member of the Royal Family. EA was only ever distantly in the line of succession, but gave up that right when he married Caroline, as she is a Catholic. I stand to be corrected on this one, but personally I have NEVER seen him at Royal Events. He may of course be present, but I have never seen him at one. Perhaps some expert can help me with this, please?

Correct on the fact he is not a british subject. Incorrect not to call him a British Royal. If he's not a british royal, then why is his full official title (E-A Jr, Christian and Alexandra's with their respective names for that matter):
His Royal Highness Prince Ernst August of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Prince of Great Britain and Ireland and why was he in line for the throne until his marriage to Caroline?
He's a British Royal. End of story.

Can someone give me a link from PA wedding where i can hear the speeches of charlotte, alex and camille?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom