King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was an interesting overview, but I'm amazed that the author thinks Letizia is "probably the most popular member of the family".

I wondered about that myself! I loved the picture of young Princess Sofia (1969) in her brown mini dress and bouffant hairdo.

As a Spaniard that grew up on both Franco's reign of terror and Juan Carlos's new Spain, I have to say he has been our biggest disappointment. He went from hero to zero all because of his financial and romantic indiscretions became out in the open during the Corrina years.

And every time he is on the news the press goes into the guilty-by-association toward our King Felipe, who tries his best to keep the Monarchy records transparent until one day goes to the hands of a future Queen Leonor, the last of the male line descendant Bourbons.

If Corinna gave the money back it still doesn't take away the fact these millions of dollars given to Juan Carlos went under the tax radar in Spain.

Last edited:
As a Spaniard that grew up on both Franco's reign of terror and Juan Carlos's new Spain, I have to say he has been our biggest disappointment. He went from hero to zero all because of his financial and romantic indiscretions became out in the open during the Corrina years.

And every time he is on the news the press goes into the guilty-by-association toward our King Felipe, who tries his best to keep the Monarchy records transparent until one day goes to the hands of a future Queen Leonor, the last of the male line descendant Bourbons.

Felipe has done pretty much everything he could think of to get away from the man, including pre-renouncing his non-Spanish monarchy inheritance and telling the whole country how much money he doesn't have, and I'm sure there'll be more.

The press are foaming at the mouth because they let JC free for so long. None of that is Felipe's fault.

Anyone else tired of the Corinna Larsen kiss and tell saga?

? multiplied by the population of the Kingdom of Spain including us overseas.

She is one toxic creature that has caused a lot of embarrassment to Queen Sofia of Spain, no thanks to King Juan Carlos own choice of getting entangled with her for so long.
When I think of her and her group, the movie The Grifters comes to mind.

I see her recent antics all I see is an attempt to distract the attention and focus on her attacks on the king, like a decoy so we don't see the millions she received nor her notorious mention on the Panama Papers as heading 15 offshore companies many others used for tax evasion.

Queen Sofia will never divorce her husband, but every time Corinna is in the news the attacks seem to be deflected toward her son, King Felipe. Juan Carlos has done so much damage to the monarchy I wish he would just stay where he lives now and just be out of the news for once.

It's very tiresome, but on the other hand if the king actually threatened her and moreover used state resources to do it, that's really serious and malevolent, not just tittle-tattle.

So we have to wait to see if he's finally going to get a day in court.

The podcasts are only just starting, so the story will pick up a new life now.

For those interested in a short version of Corinna's (first) podcast: the Dutch media learned about it and wrote a summary (you'll have to use Google Translate for English).

Last edited:
Pedro Sánchez refuses King Juan Carlos to visit Spain normally
Juan Carlos had raised the possibility of spending Christmas in Spain with the Royal House, and the response received is a negative, with which he will remain in exile in Abu Dhabi.

Yesterday during an official act, King Felipe VI spoke with Pedro Sanchez, President of the Government of Spain, about the possibility of the King Emeritus returning to Spain in January, which Pedro Sanchez refused.

As Monarchy Confidential has learned from the aforementioned sources, a tense conversation ensued, in which the president's response was blunt and emphatic: "He has to explain himself and apologize to the Spaniards".

Felipe VI argued that the emeritus king "has not been sentenced", and that his immunity has recently been recognized in the United Kingdom, and that therefore there would be no reason for a ban.

The sources close to the Royal House consulted have made the following comment: “This situation with the right did not happen. The king's father has immunity and is not condemned".
https://monarquia.elconfidencialdig...tm_edition=202212220200&utm_source=newsletter

Here is the full judgment of the British appeals court, which is quite damning of the first instance judge.

Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn v HM Juan Carlos Alfonso Victor Maria de Borbon y Borbon (Rev1) [2022] EWCA Civ 1595 (06 December 2022)

Unlike the first instance judgment, there is not much information in the judgment regarding laws and events in Spain.

Thanks! I was looking forward to reading this decision.

Unfortunately the link doesn't seem to be working for me.

EDIT: It worked now. Sorry!

Last edited:
I have no care for King Juan Carlos. He went from hero to zero to us Spaniards and he is an embarrassment. But Corrina is no less, she's an opportunistic individual like thousands of others, celebrities and government figures, that used position and influence to create overseas accounts to avoid paying taxes. And between the two of them and their open public antics and escapades made Queen Sofia's life hell. The Queen tolerated everything from him from the start of their marriage, but Corinna was the very top of that pile of garbage Juan Carlos piled upon her.

I'm glad it's over in the legal sense but, in the moral one I'm glad, too, the Government told him he is not welcome in Spain until he explains and apologizes. If he ever did that, which he won't, he should start apologizing to his wife first.

Thats said, something caught my eye on the Court ruling that smells like a staged moment for the claims Corrina made. Number 20:

20. The Claimant travelled the same day to her apartment in Villars, Switzerland to visit her son. On arrival, the Claimant found that papers had been disturbed within her apartment and a copy of a book on the death of Princess Diana had been left on a coffee table (which, for the avoidance of doubt, did not belong to the Claimant and had not been there before). The book was entitled 'Princess Diana: The Hidden Evidence, How MI6 and the CIA were involved in the death of Princess Diana'. That evening she received a telephone call from an unknown person who said, in Spanish, that 'there are many tunnels between Monaco and Nice' – it is averred that the telephone call and placement of the book are obviously connected

Just what we need this month, another lady trying to tie and stage up her current drama to Princess Diana for shock value. And no details, no names, no phone records, just Diana's life and dead again mentioned to be exploited by another person doing the same pity party so the focus of the problem is twisted up.

Nice try and failed. Let's hope she, and the other people using Diana as a reference to their drama, would let her rest in peace for once.

Last edited:
I have no care for King Juan Carlos. He went from hero to zero to us Spaniards and he is an embarrassment. But Corrina is no less, she's an opportunistic individual like thousands of others, celebrities and government figures, that used position and influence to create overseas accounts to avoid paying taxes. And between the two of them and their open public antics and escapades made Queen Sofia's life hell. The Queen tolerated everything from him from the start of their marriage, but Corinna was the very top of that pile of garbage Juan Carlos piled upon her.

I'm glad it's over in the legal sense but, in the moral one I'm glad, too, the Government told him he is not welcome in Spain until he explains and apologizes. If he ever did that, which he won't, he should start apologizing to his wife first.

Thats said, something caught my eye on the Court ruling that smells like a staged moment for the claims Corrina made. Number 20:

20. The Claimant travelled the same day to her apartment in Villars, Switzerland to visit her son. On arrival, the Claimant found that papers had been disturbed within her apartment and a copy of a book on the death of Princess Diana had been left on a coffee table (which, for the avoidance of doubt, did not belong to the Claimant and had not been there before). The book was entitled 'Princess Diana: The Hidden Evidence, How MI6 and the CIA were involved in the death of Princess Diana'. That evening she received a telephone call from an unknown person who said, in Spanish, that 'there are many tunnels between Monaco and Nice' – it is averred that the telephone call and placement of the book are obviously connected

Just what we need this month, another lady trying to tie and stage up her current drama to Princess Diana for shock value. And no details, no names, no phone records, just Diana's life and dead again mentioned to be exploited by another person doing the same pity party so the focus of the problem is twisted up.

Nice try and failed. Let's hope she, and the other people using Diana as a reference to their drama, would let her rest in peace for once.

King Juan Carlos should have been free to visit Spain and even reside in the country if he so wished. To be doing this to a person who has not been convicted of anything, and who was the country's head of state is very done and just a whim of the Spanish government and the president of the government to harm the monarchy.
King Juan Carlos is no saint, he made his mistakes, but he wasn't condemned to anything, we can't forget, that under the law, we are all innocent until proven otherwise...

If King Juan Carlos did only half of what Corinna claims he did (and I believe he did) he's a despicable, corrupt man, but she would not be talking if she did not have anything to gain from it.

King Juan Carlos should have been free to visit Spain and even reside in the country if he so wished. To be doing this to a person who has not been convicted of anything, and who was the country's head of state is very done and just a whim of the Spanish government and the president of the government to harm the monarchy.
King Juan Carlos is no saint, he made his mistakes, but he wasn't condemned to anything, we can't forget, that under the law, we are all innocent until proven otherwise...
Is it even possible to stop him from entering the country? Here in Sweden it would be against the constitution to stop a citizen from entering the country.

Wonder what they would do if he suddenly passed in his exile. Would they deny him an funeral and burial in Spain?

Wonder what they would do if he suddenly passed in his exile. Would they deny him an funeral and burial in Spain?

I don't think so, but it would be a very awkward state (or possibly not state) funeral. El Escorial is full, so where is he even meant to go?

Is it even possible to stop him from entering the country? Here in Sweden it would be against the constitution to stop a citizen from entering the country.

Directly preventing him, I don't think so, but if he returns to Spain without the government's consent, he could be putting his son and the monarchy in trouble and in a complicated situation.
The government does not want King Juan Carlos in Spain at all, which is unfair as he has not been convicted of anything, and even if he had been, he is a Spanish citizen and has his rights.

I don't think they would deny a state funeral, and I believe King Felipe VI and the royal family would want Juan Carlos to have a state funeral.
He can be buried in El Escorial, despite being full, the bodies first have to stay elsewhere in El Escorial for up to 25 years and only then move to the main room.

Directly preventing him, I don't think so, but if he returns to Spain without the government's consent, he could be putting his son and the monarchy in trouble and in a complicated situation.
The government does not want King Juan Carlos in Spain at all, which is unfair as he has not been convicted of anything, and even if he had been, he is a Spanish citizen and has his rights.

He was the head of state who did things that would be illegal for any other Spanish citizen, he's been an embarrassment and a liability to any Spanish government for years, and he refuses to come and go in an incognito manner or avoid the media.

He is an old, ill, unhappy and unfortunate man, but actions have consequences.

My guess is he will receive an official but scaled ceremony to respect his life as a king. Then the burial ceremony at Escorial, which means if he passes away his body can't be embalmed. There's a whole process on the burial of a king or queen involved I read as a teen, and it's a bit on the gory side. The body can't be embalmed because is placed on a sealed crypt above some surface to have it decompose away. The name of this first location is gross because it refers to the decomposition of the body into liquids.

Then years later a second ceremony involves members of the aristocracy to be at the retrieval of the bones, that are then crushed and placed in an urn that goes on the crypts with the other royals.

I recall when Queen Victoria Eugenia died in 1971 (?) there was a big deal made because she was embalmed before the transport, and comments went around her remains will still be intact and stuck on the first location because of embalming preventing the bones to be exposed.

Wow, all that I learned from my grandmother (1894-1986) who loved not just history but trivia and attention to details

I don't think they would deny a state funeral, and I believe King Felipe VI and the royal family would want Juan Carlos to have a state funeral.
He can be buried in El Escorial, despite being full, the bodies first have to stay elsewhere in El Escorial for up to 25 years and only then move to the main room.

While I was typing my reply you found the details I remembered being told as a kid on royal funerals. Thanks!

I don't think so, but it would be a very awkward state (or possibly not state) funeral. El Escorial is full, so where is he even meant to go?
He would come first in the Pudridero for about 30 or more years, so there is plenty of time. His parents the Count and Countess of Barcelona are still there and not yet in the Pantheon of the Kings and they have died in 1993 and 2000.

Back
Top Bottom