Jewels for sale: Worthy additions to royal collections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What British royal lady would buy this parure?
And these delicate tiaras?
And this convertible necklace/tiara?
And this tiara?

More:

Last edited:

Gorgeous necklace, I'm wondering could it be flipped up and become a tiara.

More items from the same lot: 2024/05/23 Exquisite Jewels (237 items) - Dorotheum
I think it could and I think it would be suited more as a tiara as it looks very heavy and too big as a necklace, as shown in the second photo. It's very reminiscent of the Strathmore Rose Tiara and it would be a very nice acquisition for any of the Royal households

I think it could and I think it would be suited more as a tiara as it looks very heavy and too big as a necklace, as shown in the second photo. It's very reminiscent of the Strathmore Rose Tiara and it would be a very nice acquisition for any of the Royal households
I agree, the design would lend itself well to being a tiara.

Certainly one for Mathilde or Mary to buy, in my opinion!

What British royal lady would buy this parure?

And this convertible necklace/tiara?
And this tiara?
The Windsors have a full vault but one could see Eleanore of Belgium wearing anyone of the above and they are reasonably priced too!

Pearl collier, with a sapphire and diamond clasp, earrings and a bracelet

I think Victoria, Mette Marit, Mary and Mathilde could all put this demi-parure to good use.

Pearl collier, with a sapphire and diamond clasp, earrings and a bracelet

I think Victoria, Mette Marit, Mary and Mathilde could all put this demi-parure to good use.

These would look wonderful on queen Mathilde!

Who would purchase this diamond tiara by Boucheron?

Bukowskis Sweden is selling many interesting pieces at an auction on June 11-13, for many royal ladies:

A hardstone cameo necklace and a pair of earrings in gold with enamel and set with pearls
According to family tradition originally a gift from Eugène de Beauharnais (1781-1824), the stepson of Napoleon Bonaparte, to Princess Maria Theresia von Thurn und Taxis (1794-1874). One of her ladies in waiting received the parure as a gift from the Princess. Thence by descent to the present owner.

A gorgeous diamond necklace:
A Harry Winston platinum and heart-shaped brilliant-cut diamond necklace

An impressive platinum, step-cut emerald and old-cut diamond brooch by W.A. Bolin likely Moscow 1912-1917.

An 18K gold brooch with diamonds in various cuts, Albuquerque

An important brooch with pearls and diamonds, C.E. Bolin, St Petersburg 1899-1908, owner of the workshop Sofia Schwan

A brooch in platinum set with a pearl and round brilliant- and eight-cut diamonds designed by Henrik Bolin, W.A. Bolin

A tiara owned by Louise Lyberg (1932-2024), the former First Lady of the Swedish Royal Court:
A gold and silver tiara composed of scroll motifs set with old- and rose-cut diamonds
Louise Lyberg with the tiara
Pic

Bukowskis Sweden is selling many interesting pieces at an auction on June 11-13, for many royal ladies:

An 18K gold brooch with diamonds in various cuts, Albuquerque
[/URL]
I do think the diamond brooch would be a worthy addition to many a jewel vault: Mathilde, Mary, Mette, Letizia and Victoria.

What royal lady would buy these 2 tiaras?

Bonhams has 5 very different tiaras available at their upcoming London sale

I like this next one for any future crown princess of Denmark
Not sure who this would best fit
This one I kind of like for one of the Danish princesses, but it might need some work
Last one

Bonhams has 5 very different tiaras available at their upcoming London sale

I like this next one for any future crown princess of Denmark
Not sure who this would best fit
This one I kind of like for one of the Danish princesses, but it might need some work
Last one

Thank you for sharing. I do like the first three tiaras, and they would all be worthy additions to the Belgian and Danish collections.

In particular, the following tiara would be a good meaningful sized tiara that could be used by any of the royals.

Queen Mathilde could use the attached tiara as a necklace and / or as a tiara.

Thank you for sharing. I do like the first three tiaras, and they would all be worthy additions to the Belgian and Danish collections.

Queen Mathilde could use the attached tiara as a necklace and / or as a tiara.
I could easily see these in the Belgian vault ,the queen could do with an additional tiara and Princess Eleonore will hopefully get one on her 18th birthday.

I could easily see these in the Belgian vault ,the queen could do with an additional tiara and Princess Eleonore will hopefully get one on her 18th birthday.
The fringe would be a nice addition to the belgian Vault as it is convertible and can be used as necklace or as tiara.

The fringe would be a nice addition to the belgian Vault as it is convertible and can be used as necklace or as tiara.
The Belgians could do with a substantial necklace or parure set!

I am not sure Eleonore needs a tiara exclusively for her, but additional tiaras / other jewellery for use by various members of the BRF may be the way forward.

I am not sure Eleonore needs a tiara exclusively for her, but additional tiaras / other jewellery for use by various members of the BRF may be the way forward.
If Eleonore receives a tiara for her 18th it would serve as one for State Galas and as a wedding tiara!
Poor Princess Astrid marrying a Hapsburg and no jewels in the vault for her to use!

If Eleonore receives a tiara for her 18th it would serve as one for State Galas and as a wedding tiara!
Poor Princess Astrid marrying a Hapsburg and no jewels in the vault for her to use!
I appreciate your sentiment, but do non-main line royals really need tiaras exclusively for their use in the future? Are the BRF not better served with a collection of jewels that can be shared amongst them rather than have exclusive jewels for some who may hardly ever attend gala events?

As regards Astrid, her mother, as Queen hardly had any jewels to wear. Astrid has access to a better selection of gala jewels than the current Belgian Queen.

The question is she will attend State Banquets. Could be that in the future that will be limited to the Royal Couple and the Heir/Heiress. So then she would only need one at her Wedding.
I think the best would be to start a better collection who then is hold in Trust by the monarch of the day and the tiaras etc. are loaned out when needed, similar to how it is done in Sweden.

I appreciate your sentiment, but do non-main line royals really need tiaras exclusively for their use in the future? Are the BRF not better served with a collection of jewels that can be shared amongst them rather than have exclusive jewels for some who may hardly ever attend gala events?

As regards Astrid, her mother, as Queen hardly had any jewels to wear. Astrid has access to a better selection of gala jewels than the current Belgian Queen.
A Belgian RF family jewel Foundation would be an excellent idea if the Belgians had a decent collection but as the queen is only starting to replenish the empty vaults it might be some years off before they would have sufficient jewels for a Foundation.

A Belgian RF family jewel Foundation would be an excellent idea if the Belgians had a decent collection but as the queen is only starting to replenish the empty vaults it might be some years off before they would have sufficient jewels for a Foundation.
The Belgians don't need a formal foundation. They just need a Queen who builds and maintains a collection, from which loans can be made to relevant members.

The Belgians don't need a formal foundation. They just need a Queen who builds and maintains a collection, from which loans can be made to relevant members.
I think the Problem is the inheritance. If they are personally owned by the Queen the inheritance will need to be shared equally among her children

And bit by bit Queen Mathilde is rebuilding the collection,not quite there yet but on the right path after years of mismanagement.

I think the Problem is the inheritance. If they are personally owned by the Queen the inheritance will need to be shared equally among her children
They should, in their entirety, be left to the next monarch. This assumes there isn't an inheritance tax angle in Belgium.

And bit by bit Queen Mathilde is rebuilding the collection,not quite there yet but on the right path after years of mismanagement.
Indeed. She is on the right path, and appears to gave bought well at auction. But I suspect the time is now coming for her to buy some serious "Queen level" jewels.

They should, in their entirety, be left to the next monarch. This assumes there isn't an inheritance tax angle in Belgium.

Indeed. She is on the right path, and appears to gave bought well at auction. But I suspect the time is now coming for her to buy some serious "Queen level" jewels.
There is indeed that angle, which is that also the heirs of a Queen pay death tax. I am not sure if the monarch himself needs to pay them when he receives an inheritance, can't find the information online.

I still find it an eternal shame they didn't buy back the Belgian pieces of Pss M. Gabriella of Italy, when they were auctioned off.

The collection is so small that one or two pieces do not make a big difference. And other than the Vestey tiara the pieces that are bought back lack much substance. Some brooches and earrings but that is that. And none of them with too many carats.

The low prices at Bonhams are always surprising. It makes you wonder why Pss Claire or CPss Mary ended up with even less impressive tiaras. But although the design can be nice the diamonds themselves are tiny. Still, they make nice tiaras for junior princesses and will be more comfortable to wear than the heavier royal tiaras.

Im suspect the need for tiaras will be less and less. In the case of Eleonore or future wives of Gabriel and Eleonore I imagine they will only need it at their wedding and when they attend one or two Scandinavian weddings in the future. It remains to be seen if they will attend state visits. As we saw with the Lux. and Dutch state visits the Belgian RF has joined some others in downsizing on the attendance there too.

----
A sale at Christie´s in Paris tomorrow has a brooch and choker of the Hannover family (lot 2 and 3). Lot 22 is a wonderful flower necklace, which would look great on a tiara frame too.

Last edited:
There is indeed that angle, which is that also the heirs of a Queen pay death tax. I am not sure if the monarch himself needs to pay them when he receives an inheritance, can't find the information online.

I still find it an eternal shame they didn't buy back the Belgian pieces of Pss M. Gabriella of Italy, when they were auctioned off.

The collection is so small that one or two pieces do not make a big difference. And other than the Vestey tiara the pieces that are bought back lack much substance. Some brooches and earrings but that is that. And none of them with too many carats.

The low prices at Bonhams are always surprising. It makes you wonder why Pss Claire or CPss Mary ended up with even less impressive tiaras. But although the design can be nice the diamonds themselves are tiny. Still, they make nice tiaras for junior princesses and will be more comfortable to wear than the heavier royal tiaras.

Im suspect the need for tiaras will be less and less. In the case of Eleonore or future wives of Gabriel and Eleonore I imagine they will only need it at their wedding and when they attend one or two Scandinavian weddings in the future. It remains to be seen if they will attend state visits. As we saw with the Lux. and Dutch state visits the Belgian RF has joined some others in downsizing on the attendance there too.

----
A sale at Christie´s in Paris tomorrow has a brooch and choker of the Hannover family (lot 2 and 3). Lot 22 is a wonderful flower necklace, which would look great on a tiara frame too.

Many interesting points.

> If there is a tax angle, then monarch to monarch transfers (if tax free) or ownership through a trust may be the solution.

> Pricing at places like Bonhams is never very high as the market for tiaras and brooches is really very limited. This leads to exceptional bargains to be had for those that have a use of tiaras and brooches.

> You are right, barring the tiara for Elizabeth, most of what Mathilde has bought so far is pretty inconsequential. Hence, in a post further upthread, I had suggested that it was now time for Mathilde to loosen the purse strings and buy more "Queen level" jewels.

> I love Lot 22 in the Christie's Paris sale, and think it will be of much use to all the usual royal ladies. Letizia is an unlikely buyer, but it would work very well with her Floral tiara.

Back
Top Bottom