Imperial Family of Brazil 1: Ending 2021

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old and New gossips or facts?

Pedro Carlos de Orléans e Bragança has has just released an explosive book on the Brazilian Imperial family. D. Carlos belongs to a branch of the Brazilian Imperial family called Saxe Coburg Bragança, descendants of the second daughter of Emperor D. Pedro II, Princess Leopoldina.
The book is about the marriages of the daughters of the Emperor D Pedro II and the Empress D. Teresa Cristina ( née Teresa Maria Cristina di Borbone, Principessa di Borbone delle Due Sicilie), the young princesses Isabel and Leopoldina. Two young Princes and cousins were imported from Europe to marry them: the Count d'Eu (Gaston d'Orléans, the he first son of Louis, Duke of Nemours, and Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Koharyand – grandson of Louis-Philippe I, King of the French), and the Duke of Saxe (Ludwig August von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, son of August Ludwig Viktor, Prince von Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld and Clémentine d'Orléans, Princess of France – also grandson of Louis-Philippe I, King of the French) . The Duke of Saxe was destined for older, the Crown Princess Isabel, Count d'Eu, and for the youngest, Princess Leopoldina, but the princesses ended up exchanging the princes.
This is old story/history, but what the book tells is that the Órleans (in a financial distress at that time), helped by the Countess of Barral (said to be lover of D. Pedro II), plotted in order do have Princess Isabel married to Count D’Eu.
The author, Dom Carlos Tasso, was helped in his research for the book by his cousin D. Pedro Carlos de Bourbon de Orléans e Bragança, of the Petrópolis branch of the family. D. Pedro is an unwilling pretender, but could be the Emperor of Brazil if his grandfather’s renouncement of the throne (due to unequal marriage) should be considered invalid.
The report about the book was made by Hildegard Angel (Rififi na Corte Imperial | Hildegard Angel ). who adds more spice to the whole thing. She says the grapevine comments that D. Carlos Tasso’s wife, Walburga Rosa Erzherzogin von Österreich (daughter of Georg Erzherzog von Österreich and Marie Valerie Gräfin von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg) was Dom Luíz Gastão de Orléans-Bragança’s old flame and that he might have become a bachelor because she preferred his cousin. Dom. Luíz Gastão, of the Vassouras branch is considered by most as the lawful pretenteder to the throne in Brazil.
I have just bought the book at: A intriga | Retrospecto de intricados acontecimentos históricos e suas consequências no Brasil Imperial - Editora Senac - São Paulo
Some info about the three cousins:
D. João VI (King of Portugal, Brazil & Algarves) => D. Pedro I (Emperor of Brazil and King of Portugal as Pedro IV) => D. Pedro II (Emperor of Brazil) => Leopoldina Teresa de Bragança e Bourbon (Princess of Brazil) => August Leopold Philipp Maria Michael Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha => Theresa Christiana Prinzessin von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha => Dom Carlos Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Braganca
D. João VI (King of Portugal, Brazil & Algarves) => D. Pedro I (Emperor of Brazil and King of Portugal as Pedro IV) => D. Pedro II (Emperor of Brazil) => Isabel de Bragança e Bourbon (Princess of Brazil – heir of the Throne) => Dom Luíz de Orléans e Bragança (second oldest son) => Dom Pedro Henrique de Orléans e Bragança (oldest son) => Dom Luíz Gastão de Orléans-Bragança (oldest son)
D. João VI (King of Portugal, Brazil & Algarves) => D. Pedro I (Emperor of Brazil and King of Portugal as Pedro IV) => D. Pedro II (Emperor of Brazil) => Isabel de Bragança e Bourbon (Crown Princess of Brazil) => Dom Pedro de Alcântara de Orléans e Bragança (oldest son) => D. Pedro de Alcântara Gastão de Orléans e Bragança (oldest son) => D. Pedro Carlos de Orléans e Bragança (oldest son).

HIH Prince Dom Antonio and HIH Princess Dona Cristina of Orleans Braganza in Rome for a great event of the Order of Saint Isabel:

Principesa Mo

:previous:
More precisely, HRH the Duchess of Bragança has conferred the Order of Queen Saint Isabel to Princess Christine and other four royal ladies, namely the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Princess Margaretha von und zu Liechtenstein, the Hereditary Princess of Romania and the Princess of Ligne.

HIRH Prince Dom Antonio and HIRH Princess Cristine of Brazil are very involved in the life of the society and will surely be a wonderful Imperial couple in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
The two Princes have been knighted on 17 November 2012 in a ceremony held at the Monastery of Sao Bento (St. Benedict) in Bahia.

Is it just my imagination or do most of the contributors to this thread favor the claims of Dom Pedro over Dom Luiz?

I favor none of them. Although sometimes I feel romantic and wish Brazil was a monarchy (I really admire D. Joao VI, Pedro I and Pedro II), I am really a republican.
The Petropolis branch is much more charming but once their ancestor renounced his rights (it doesn't matter how much they complain nowadays it was not legal), the heir is now the Vassouras branch.

I would certainly agree with the rights of Dom Luiz and family. And I must say that when I had a chance to talk with Dom Bertrand I found him perfectly charming in his own way.

The Vassouras Branch needs to go to the Supreme Court, to anchieve the recognition from the Supreme Court as the legitimist pretenders to the throne, then make a resolution abolishing the law that says the heirs and heiresses must marry only royal ones, and then start to make more propaganda, good alliances, and try to conquer the people's hearts, then the restoration will come.

There are a lot of monarchists in the interior of the countries.

Abolish the equal alliance law?

Why do they need to abolish the law of equal alliance?

Is equal marriage required by the Imperial Constitution or family law, or is it just a family tradition?

I need some help.

Hey guys, maybe someone from Belgium can help me.

Her Royal Highness Princess Christine of Orleans-Braganza (née Princess of Ligne) gave interview for the belgian magazine L'Eventail, in it's february edition.

I have only found a part of this interview, can you help me find the rest?

Thanks a lot! :)

Here is the part I have found: L'Eventail >> Socit - Magazine d'art de vivre

Is equal marriage required by the Imperial Constitution or family law, or is it just a family tradition?

It's a House Rule, introduced by Princess Isabel, then, the Head of the Imperial House, in 1908.

Because the dinasty is dying.

The Dynasty isn't dying, we have a plenty of heirs in the Line of Succession.

The Line of Succession to the Brazilian Throne:

1. Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, born in 1938, great-great-grandson of Emperor Pedro II (1825-1891). Unmarried and without children.

2. Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial of Brazil, born in 1941. Prince Luiz’s brother and heir presumptive. Unmarried and children.

3. Prince Antônio of Brazil, born in 1950. Prince Luiz’s brother. Married with Princess Christine of Ligne (b. 1955), and had four children (the eldest one, Prince Pedro Luiz died in 2009).

4. Price Rafael of Brazil, born in 1986. Prince Antônio’s only surviving son.

5. Princess Amélia of Brazil, born in 1984. Prince Antônio’s oldest daughter.

6. Princess Maria Gabriela of Brazil, born in 1989. Prince Antônio’s youngest child.

7. Princess Isabel of Brazil, born in 1944. Prince Luiz’s sister. She’s unmarried and childless.

8. Princess Eleonora, Princess of Ligne, born in 1953. Prince Luiz’s sister. She’s married with Michel, 14o Prince of Ligne (b. 1951), and has two children.

9. Prince Henri Antoine, Hereditary Prince of Ligne, born in 1989. Princess Eleonora’s son.

10. Princess Alix of Ligne, born in 1984. Princess Eleonora’s daughter.

11. Carlos Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baron of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 1931. Great-grandson of Princess Leopoldina of Brazil (1847-1871), Emperor Pedro II’s second daughter. He’s married with Archduchess Walburga of Austria, Princess of Tuscany (born in 1942), and had eight children (the youngest son, Fernando Carlos, died in 1990, aged 10). He’s the Head of the House of Saxe-Cobourg and Braganza, since 1990.

12. Afonso Carlos Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baron of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 1970. Carlos Taxis’s oldest son. He’s married with Charlotte Penafiel, and have two children.

13. Taddeo Augusto Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baron of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 2011. Afonso Carlos’s son.

14. Pia Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baroness of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 2004. Afonso Carlos’s daughter.

15. José Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baron of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 1972. Carlos Taxis’s second son. Unmarried and childless.

16. Antônio Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baron of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 1979. Carlos Taxis’s third son. Married with Gabrielle Tardieu de Meleissye-Melun, and has two sons.

17. Armando Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baron of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 2006. Antônio Taxis’s oldest son.

18. Pedro Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baron of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 2008. Antônio Taxis’s youngest son.

19. Teresa Cristina Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza Hunt, Baroness of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 1971. Carlos Taxis’s oldest daughter. She’s married with Christian Hunt, and has two daughters, who aren’t Brazilian Dynast because they don’t have Brazilian citizenship.

20. Maria Leopoldina Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza Pavone, Baroness of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 1974. Carlos Taxis’s second daughter. She’s married with Alessandro Pavone, and have a son, who isn’t a Brazilian Dynast because he was not registred as a Brazilian citizen.

21. Carolina Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza Delcourt, Baroness of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 1976. Carlos Taxi’s third daughter. She’s married with Sébastie Delcourt.

22. Maria Aparecida Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baroness of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 1985. Carlos Taxis’s youngest children.

23. Filipe Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, Baron of Bordonha and Valnigra, born in 1939. Carlos Taxis’s brother. He’s married with Anna Maria Duarte Nunes, and has two adopted daughters.

24. Alice Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza Formentini, Countess of Tolmino and Biglia, born in 1936. Carlos Taxis’s sister. She’s married with Michele Formentini, Count of Tolmino and Biglia (b. 1929), and has three children. None of her children are in the Line of Succession to the Brazilian Throne, because they aren’t Brazilian citizens.

25. Maria Cristina Taxis of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza Dettori, born in 1945. Carlos Taxis’s sister. She’s married with Raimondo Dettori (b. 1943), and has six children. None of her children are in the Line of Succession to the Brazilian Throne, because they aren’t Brazilian citizens.

It's a House Rule, introduced by Princess Isabel, then, the Head of the Imperial House, in 1908.
I am curiouos about one thing: can the present Head of the House amend that rule? Can he decree, for instance, that a marriage is considered equal as long as the permission of the Head of the House is sought and received?

I am curiouos about one thing: can the present Head of the House amend that rule? Can he decree, for instance, that a marriage is considered equal as long as the permission of the Head of the House is sought and received?

Yes, the Head of the Imperial Family can change the House Rules anytime he wants to do so.

For example, in 1948, Prince Pedro Henrique (1909-1981), by that time, the Head of the Imperial House, considered as Dynastic Marriage the union between his sister, Princess Pia Maria (1913-2000), with Count René of Nicolay (1909-1954).

Of course a Count of Nicolay isn't a commoner, but that marriage opened precedence for an unequal marriage been considered as Dynastic.

But the present Head of the Imperial House, Prince Luiz, has said that he'll not change the Marriage Rule, and the same goes for his successor, Prince Bertrand.

Also, Prince Rafael has expressed that is his intention marry equally, and his sister, Princess Amélia, is now living in Europe, where she's in touch with lot of Princes. She's extraordinarily beautiful, so, maybe she'll return engaged with someone from the Gotha.

Prince Eudes of Orleans Bragança and his wife Patricia Annechino Landau are expecting their first child in 2011. Prince Eudes a grand son of prince Pedro Henriques of Brazil and Pricness Maria of Bavaria. He is the son of another prince Eudes of Orleans-Bragança and Mercedes Neves da Rocha. Eudes sr. renounced his rights upon his marriage.

Carnet rose dans la famille impériale du Brésil | Noblesse & Royautés

Just an information:

None of Prince Eudes's children from his second marriage (with Mercedes Neves da Rocha) are Princes and Princess of Orleans-Braganza, because their parents marriage is only civil, not religious.

Who would be considered equal anyway?

Does it have to be a girl from a reigning or formerly-reigning house? Meaning of high nobility? Does it matter whether her mother was of the same status? Or would she need to have 16 direct royal ancestors? Would it be enough for the girl to be of nobility, regardless of rank?

Who would be considered equal anyway?

Does it have to be a girl from a reigning or formerly-reigning house? Meaning of high nobility? Does it matter whether her mother was of the same status? Or would she need to have 16 direct royal ancestors? Would it be enough for the girl to be of nobility, regardless of rank?

Traditionally, members of the Brazilian Imperial Family are required to marry equally, in order to keep their succession rights.

The wife of Brazilian Prince (like the husband of Brazilian Princess) has to be from a Royal House (reign or non-reign).

There's no need of 16 direct royal ancestors. Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg is considered the best option for Prince Rafael of Brazil, despite the fact that Grand Duchess Maria Teresa was born a commoner. The same goes for Prince Ludwig of Bavaria, his mother was a commoner, but he's one of the favorite options for Princess Amélia.

In 1948, the Head of the Imperial House, Prince Pedro Henrique, recognised as Dynastic the marriage of his sister, Princess Pia Maria, with Count René of Nicolay. But he didn't recognised the marriages of three of his sons with women from the Brazilian Aristocracy. Nor did his successor, Prince Luiz, recognised the marriages of his brother and his sister with members of the Brazilian Aritocracy, or ther marriage of another sister with an Dutch Nobleman. All these marriages were ruled as unequals.

Doesn't Brazil have TWO pretenders? I can't remember where I read that. How would that get sorted out...and what if their (or one of their) spouses are not dynastic. Does it matter in this day and age?

Doesn't Brazil have TWO pretenders? I can't remember where I read that. How would that get sorted out...and what if their (or one of their) spouses are not dynastic. Does it matter in this day and age?

There's a kind of confusion. People belive that the Imperial Family has two lines, and that there's two claimants to the Throne. Nonsense.

There are descendents from Princess Isabel's oldest son, Prince Pedro, who renounced, in his name, and in name of his descendency, the rights to the Throne. They are Princes and Princesses of Orleans-Braganza (a French-Brazilian title), not Princes and Princess of Brazil.

The Imperial Family has only nine members:

1. Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial Family, born in 1938.
2. Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial, born in 1941. Prince Luiz's brother and heir.
3. Prince Antônio, born in 1950.
4. Princess Cristina, Prince Antônio's wife, born in 1955, as a Princess of Ligne.
5. Prince Rafael, born in 1986, Prince Antônio and Princess Cristina's oldest living son.
6. Princess Amelia, born in 1984, Prince Antônio and Princess Cristina's first daughter.
7. Princess Maria Gabriela, born in 1989, Prince Antônio and Princess Cristina youngest child.
8. Princess Isabel, born in 1944. Princes Luiz, Bertrand and Antnio's sister. She's unmarried.
9. Princess Eleonora, born in 1953. Also a sister of Prince Luiz. She is married to the Prince of Ligne, and lives in Belgium.

Prince Luiz has another seven brothers and sisters. But they renounced their rights to the throne, in order to marry commoners.

Princess Eleonora's children: Prince Henri Antoine and Princess Alix of Ligne, are also in the line of succession. The same goes for the House of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza, descendents from Princess Leopoldina of Brazil (1847-1871).

And yes, members of the Imperial Family are still required to marry equally. The ones who are just Princes and Princesses of Orleans-Braganza can marry whoever they want.

That may be your opinion, and perhaps of a majority of Brazilian monarchists. But fact is that Prince Pedro de Alcantara said: "My resignation was not valid for many reasons: besides, it was not a hereditary resignation". His son, prince Pedro Gastao presented a rival claim to prince Luis, supported by a few professors and by the duke of Calabria and the count of Barcelona. Astrid Bodstein wrote an article about it in Royalty Digest in 2006.

That may be your opinion, and perhaps of a majority of Brazilian monarchists. But fact is that Prince Pedro de Alcantara said: "My resignation was not valid for many reasons: besides, it was not a hereditary resignation". His son, prince Pedro Gastao presented a rival claim to prince Luis, supported by a few professors and by the duke of Calabria and the count of Barcelona. Astrid Bodstein wrote an article about it in Royalty Digest in 2006.

Prince Pedro de Alcântara's renunciation was totally valid. Some people points that the Imperial Constitution nevers mentioned Dynastic Marriages, but it neither said that a Prince's renunciation should be validated by Parliament.

On his renunciation document, he said that he was renouncing in his name and in name of all his descendents. And that was recognized by Princess Isabel, the Head of the Imperial House. And that was enough.

During the rest of life, Prince Pedro de Alcântara kept his word, and never claimed the Throne. He always recognized his nephew, Prince Pedro Henrique, as the Head of the Imperial House, and Emperor de jure.

After Prince Pedro de Alcântara's death, in 1940, his oldest son, Prince Pedro Gastão started to claim the Throne for himself, but he never has much support of the Monarchists, nor his brother and sisters agreed with him. When he died, in 2007, the "Dynastic Question" died with him, no one form the so-called "Petrópolis Branch" has maid any claim since then. His oldest son, Prince Pedro Carlos, has declared himself a Republican.

Today, all the Monarchist organizations, the media, and even the Government recognize Prince Luiz as the Head of Imperial House.

As for Astrid, she and her followers are a laughingstock by all the Monarchists, because they support a Republican Prince who has no interest in Monarchy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom