Henry I (Beauclerc) (1068-1135)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CyrilVladisla

Imperial Majesty
City
Conneaut
Country
United States
Henry I was born approximately in 1068.​
His father was William I of England.​
His mother was Matilda of Flanders.​
He was King of England from 1100 to 1135.​
He died December 1, 1135.​

Henry I was nicknamed Beauclerc because of his love of learning.​
At the age of about ten, Stephen of Blois was sent to be raised at the court of his uncle Henry I. King Henry made Stephen Count of Mortain.
Henry I married Edith of Scotland on November 11, 1100 at Westminster Abbey. Edith was the daughter of King Malcolm III of Scotland. Edith adopted the name Matilda because it was thought that the Norman barons might not respect a Queen with a Saxon name.
The loss of King Henry's son in the wreck of the White Ship left only a daughter, Matilda, to inherit.
Henry I's son was William the Aethling (William Aethling).
William was called the Saxon princely title to stress that his parents had united both the Saxon and Norman Royal Houses.

In 1115 Henry I gave the castle at Chepstow to the de Clare family.
Queen Matilda took an interest in the building of the first arched bridge in England.
The bridge was built over the River Lea at Stratford-le-Bow.

Henry I filled the ecclesiastical posts that had been kept vacant by his brother, King William II.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wondered why she changed her name. Thank you for that.

Henry I, King of England & Duke of Normandy

Henry I of England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

295px-Henry1.jpg

Henry I married Edith of Scotland on November 11, 1100 at Westminster Abbey. Edith was the daughter of King Malcolm III of Scotland. Edith adopted the name Matilda because it was thought that the Norman barons might not respect a Queen with a Saxon name.

Seal of Maud/Matilda of Scotland

330px-Maud_of_Scotland.jpg

An artists impression of what Reading Abbey looked like

_51986562_dscf0002.jpg

The Cluniac Abbey was founded by Henry I in 1121 and the king was buried here in 1135 as was his illegitimate son,Reginald de Dunstanville, 1st Earl of Cornwall.The Abbey was dissolved in 1539 and its last Abbot,Hugh Faringdon was executed that November for high treason.

Burial of Henry I at Reading Abbey

Burial_of_Henry_I%2C_1136_by_Harry_Morley%2C_painted_in_1916.jpg

Interesting ,they may find others as Matilda of Scotland, William of Poitiers, and Constance of York were also buried at the Abbey church.

It would be interesting if they did find any remains that they could attach a positive identification to.
I thought Matilda was buried in Westminster Abbey? Was she later moved to Reading?

It would be interesting if they did find any remains that they could attach a positive identification to.
I thought Matilda was buried in Westminster Abbey? Was she later moved to Reading?

I think it might have been her heart or other organs buried at Reading Abbey church whilst her body was buried at Westminster Abbey.

Also buried at Reading Abbey were the following :

Reginald de Dunstanville, 1st Earl of Cornwall an illegitimate son of Henry I who died in 1175.

William IX, Count of Poitiers son of Henry II who died in 1156.

Several of the children of Richard ,1st Earl of Cornwall

John of Cornwall died in 1232
Isabel of Cornwall died in 1234

Constance of York, Countess of Gloucester daughter of Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York,who died in 1416.

Anne de Beauchamp, 15th Countess of Warwick who died in 1448.

Historic England @HistoricEngland
Archaeologists begin hunt for remains of Henry I
via @TelegraphNews

Surveyors have begun scouring the land around the ruins of Reading Abbey, as part of a search that could unearth the missing remains of King Henry I.

Investigators began using ground-penetrating radar on Friday, in a bid to outline the extent of the grounds of the ruined abbey, in a search that could see the body of a second English king discovered beneath a car park.

Henry, who died in 1135, reportedly from a “surfeit of lampreys”, is thought to have been buried alongside his second wife, Adeliza, under the high altar of the abbey, which was largely destroyed during Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries.
Read more: Archaeologists begin hunt for remains of Henry I

Henry was the youngest of four sons. He was expected to become a bishop. How far did he receive a religious education to be a bishop?

Henry had been born in England. Did this factor endear him to the Saxon people?

Not really. He was still a Norman and very much his father's son.

Little is known of his childhood, including his education and if he was infact intended to be a bishop. Its not even clear where he was raised. By the time he was 7 his second brother was dead. He received military training and was knighted at 18.

His English birth would help little. After William I died, he lived at his brother Robert's court in Normandy, losing his British lands to Rufus in anger over supporting Robert. Robert didn't trust him, imprisoned him and after Henry saved him from a siege, joined with Rufus and made war on him. It was when Henrry, who was popular and powerful in Western Normandy aligned with Rufus instead, he started going back to England.

He was smart though. He reverted back to many Anglo-Saxon laws, he removed oppression of the church his brother and father instilled. He also had an early bond with native Welsh princes (ended). Marrriage to Matilda made Scotland an ally. Robert invaded, he was eldest of all 3 brothers, and most Norman barons backed him. Henry had mainly Saxon barons, his brother in law's Scottish troops and the Welsh. His claim was based on old law (primogeniture not common yet) on an old law which stated since he was born when his parents reigned, unlike Robert who was borrn when they were duke/duchess, his claim was superior.

His best move was his marriage. Matilda not only brought her brothers' support, but she strengthened his claim Matilda was descended from the Anglo-Saxon kings of Wessex. Her mother was a granddaughter of Edmund Ironsides.

In his Coronation Charter King Henry I of England promised to revive the principles of Anglo-Saxon law.

King Henry I reformed the royal treasury, setting up an exchequer to make accounts twice a year and drawing together the accounting systems of England and Normandy under a single treasurer.

Back
Top Bottom