Grand Duke Georgi, son and heir of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna (2008-Oct. 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar to what Grand Duke Georgi's father did ... I think it would not be easy to persuade German princesses to renounce their religion and convert to the Orthodox one.

A catholic german Princess surely not but a protestant one yes.How many Russian Grand Dukes married german Princesses who converted from protestantism to orthodoxy?

Those time are long gone and the past Russian Grand Dukes had a lot to offer.
For instance, Duchess Tatjana of Oldenburg, was unwilling to convert to Roman Catholicism, thereby prompting Prince Jean, Duke of Vendome, to break an engagement. So to say that Protestant German Princesses are sure to renounce their faith is inaccurate.

Last edited:
A catholic german Princess surely not but a protestant one yes.How many Russian Grand Dukes married german Princesses who converted from protestantism to orthodoxy?

There must have been several. For example, Catherine the Great was a German princess who I believe was Lutheran when she converted in order to marry the heir to the Russian throne. More recently, Alexandra was a protestant who converted before she married Nicholas II. Nicholas II's grandmother was a German princess who converted to Orthodoxy before marrying Alexander II. I am not positive but I think she was protestant as well.

There must have been several. For example, Catherine the Great was a German princess who I believe was Lutheran when she converted in order to marry the heir to the Russian throne. More recently, Alexandra was a protestant who converted before she married Nicholas II. Nicholas II's grandmother was a German princess who converted to Orthodoxy before marrying Alexander II. I am not positive but I think she was protestant as well.
That 's true,but unfortunately it was long-long time ago,when Russia was on the path to be the strongest monarchy and now everything is under doubt .Though I think Grand Duke Georgi will marry for specific dynasty conveniences

Religious convictions are hardly as strong as they were in those days. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a German princess willing to change from being a nominal protestant to nominal orthodoxy. After all if they were willing to convert back then, few people would have a problem converting nowadays.

I feel particularly sorry for Georgii. As anyone who has read my posts would know I want Princes to marry Princess' but I certainly would not want them to be forced to do so. Georgii is in that position where his tentative claims to the russian throne relies entirely on who he marries. My feeling is that he is going to find it hard to find a wife, not because a Princess won't want to change her religion but simply because she would not accept a marriage of convenience with a man who his only looking at her title and not her.

Many did, but that was during an era where a marriage to a Russian Grand Duke was often a huge step up for relatively poor, but well-titled, German princesses. One married for duty and position, rather than love at the time. The imperial family was by far the wealthiest in Europe until the Revolution.

George has none of these advantages today and relatively limited money. Not a good prospect for finding a royal to marry him for duty alone, especially since there is no throne anyway.

Well, he doesn't have to marry for money, but bloodline should take precedence in regards to marriage concerns. You can always make more money and there are hundreds of royals out there who make their own living and it's not that difficult if you have the right skills. He has a lot of options, he just has to choose responsibly. It might remind people of Prince Charles, marrying for bloodlines, but it's how things are done with a lot of these families. He has to choose rightly and like any man who has to make a living, cannot afford to choose irresponsibly. He has ot think of who would make a stable, loving spouse and a mother who would serve as a healthy example.

He is a man decended from a woman who is a decendent of a male line of romanovs does that not equal anything but then again he maybe in the same situation as princes andrei, fyodor and the other sons of grand duchess Xenia alexandrovna . A daughter and granddaughter of czars and had boys that could not inherit the throne despite having Romanov blood.

Does anyone know anything about him personally, as a person?

Having GD Maria as mother in law What a disaster.
GD Maria was not invited at King Baudouin's funerals at took place among the Royals, taking the place of another.
And if the Prince changes his mind and take his German Princely , his Father 's name?

And if the Prince changes his mind and take his German Princely , his Father 's name?

Then GD Maria will blow a gasket.

As for a mother-in-law, if she were to approve of his wife, I am more than sure that she would actually be a blast to have. She's ambitious, sure, but she is a colorful personality and a fighter for her son.

Grand Duke George could marry a German, Serbian or Greek Princess.

I wonder if anyone from the rival families would be willing to let a daughter of theirs marry Georgi, therefore possibly uniting the family through a solid marriage and then the kid of Georgi and his wife could be unanimously declared the rightful Heir?

How long to do you think any woman would last with Maria as a mother-in-law, even if Maria approves of who her son marries? I wonder what sort of husband he would make. As for nationality, why not find a titled woman of Russian lineage? Since his mother is eager for him to be heir to the Russian throne, wouldn't it make sense to marry a Russian?

Sometimes he looks trapped and desperate to be free from his mother's side.

Last edited:
I agree,I think that his mother thought of an appropriate bride,but in our age many princesses marry not only for dynasty but for love or at least sympathy and friendship.GD Georgy is not so charming or easy going ,so it's rather difficult for him to start a relationship,especially when a special pressure is put on him.
I think he could have married a daughter of a Russian billionaire,but I think his mother doesn't find it appropriate,because she wants to keep their bloodline pure noble.

The point is that if he wants to marry equally according to the Pauline Law, he then has to marry to a foreign Princess from a reigning or former reigning House.
IMO it won't be very easy for him.

He could always marry a Princess from the Royal House of Georgia.

He could always marry a Princess from the Royal House of Georgia.

That wouldn't be a wise decision IMHO since part of the issue of their claim to the throne that is debatable lies in his grandfather's(?) marriage to a women from the royal house of Georgia, because it wasn't a "reigning" family as Georgia was part of Russia at the time.

The Royal House of Georgia is one of the oldest in the world.The russian conquest does not mean anything.A century of russian occupation does not mean the Royal House of Georgia is no Royal anymore.It is the same situation with the Montenegro.

Maria had better not be too picky about a wife to the point where she ends up ruining his life. If she wants a princess, there are plenty out there who have careers and there are more dethroned than enthroned royal families out there and while a reigning family might be preferable, a dethroned one could be just as grand. You can always make money, but ancestry is something else entirely.

Too many mothers (or men in general) have suc ha huge list, that they are unwilling to sacrifice or work on the one small thing that the potential spouse falls short on. You can always make money, you can always work on etiquette, but Maria needs to focus on finding a wife that won't make a mess of Georgi's life. She should find someone who is pliable, agreeable, with a strong moral foundation and also make sure that Georgi appreciates his new wife as well.

The German Princesses represent the best solution.

Yes. The only problem is, how on earth are Russians going to accept that they should be reigned over by a man who is almost entirely Hohenzollern and a German princess, therefore there will be no Russian lineage at all.

Yes. The only problem is, how on earth are Russians going to accept that they should be reigned over by a man who is almost entirely Hohenzollern and a German princess, therefore there will be no Russian lineage at all.
I couldn't have said it better,the most of Russians want to see native spirit and values nearby.

Thanks; the original Romanovs had little to no Russian blood in them and importing a German or Danish bride is out of the question if they want to be truly attached to Russia and the Russian people. There's a huge, fierce native nationalism pervading Russia and a Tsar with a foreign bride isn't going to fly. Georgi would have to marry a Russian, commoner or aristocrat, not a foreign bride with no Russian lineage. Georgi has no right to the Russian throne, since there is no throne in Russia and Georgi can't carry on as if he has a divine right to it and does not have to account for his behavior. He would have to.

In the last centuries all the brides of the Russian Grand Dukes were German or Danish so I do not see any problem for another German Princess .
Grand Duke George is Russian and was educated to be a good Russian. His father became at the marriage orthodox and Grand Duke.
There is no Monarchy in Russia in this moment but Grand Duke George remains Heir to the Throne.

I understand that, but these days things certainly have to be different. The Romanovs need to be attached to Russia, no matter the sentiment. Georgi might have a Russian passport and be a 'good Russian' in his upbringing, but he is not lineally Russian at all. After the Revolution, things are certainly much different. The Romanovs cannot and must not presume to at all have the same leeway as they used to in deciding who the Russians must bow and curtsy to.

I totally agree the situation is very changed for the Imperial House after 1917 but if Grand Duke George wants to inherit the Throne he has to marry a foreign Princess.

Well, then, she should at least have SOME Russian lineage.

That's not very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom