Grand Duke Georgi, son and heir of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna (2008-Oct. 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really funny. She looks like a clown. He is such a good son to be seen with her.
He should finally appear either with a girlfriend or his father,it will be a good movement

That's really funny. She looks like a clown. He is such a good son to be seen with her.

Your assessment of Grand Duchess's outfit is spot on :ROFLMAO:. She should wear more muted/darker colors. I think they would suit her better.

I feel for her son. He doesn't seem to have much of a life outside of his mother. Sad really.

Well, her son is all she has really. He has no siblings, no one to take his mother off of his hands. He looks like quite the sweetheart if given half the chance.

Look, people make their own lives. It is she who hasn't and, now, is robbing this nice young man of his. That is not loving.

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son Grand Duke Georgii at the wedding of Prince Georg Friedrich and Princess Sophie von Isenburg in Germany. She's wearing another rather bright outfit (and don't even get me started on the hat, because it's quite hideous).

Photo from Getty Images.
The outfit is rather "loud" and quite unfortunate. The hat is hideous, completely hideous (that's me being nice). Poor young man, poor woman who falls in love with this man, she's going to have her hands full with his mother.

Look, people make their own lives. It is she who hasn't and, now, is robbing this nice young man of his. That is not loving.

You're right about that.

Poor young man, poor woman who falls in love with this man, she's going to have her hands full with his mother.

Only if she disapproves; if she approves, I think she'll be a really, really indulgent mother-in-law. If she's titled and brings a fat bank account, Maria will be happy as a clam with her. If she's untitled and not wealthy, then I think Maria will be difficult, to put it mildly.

Please guys, stay on topic: Grand Duke Georgi, not his mother's fashion.
Thanks!

I think it rather unfair (and totally unsubstantiated) that Her Imperial Highness is being attacked for being an over-protective mother. The claims that she's somehow keeping the Grand Duke a prisoner as part of some large scale restoration plan is not only unkind but very obviously untrue.

Firstly, although he may not be married yet, the Grand Duke is 30 years old, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden didn't marry until she was 33. Not being very well known to the outside (non royal watcher world!), it's unlikely that we'll hear about any romantic links the Grand Duke may have had until he actually marries. I very much doubt that Grand Duchess Maria is forcing him to remain single to suit her own needs. I also find it quite nasty to suggest that Her Imperial Highness hasn't had a life or that she has nobody else in her life other than her son. Just because we don't see the Grand Duchess' circle of friends, doesn't mean that she's making her son's life a living hell or locking him up in some kind of "Baby Jane" situation. The Grand Duke worked at the European Parliament, Maria wasn't there with him every day at work. Indeed, they were seperated because George lived in Brussels and Luxembourg and Maria was in Spain (as well as abroad representing the Imperial Family). I'm sure if the Grand Duke read some of the statements made here, he'd wonder why people are attacking his mother on his behalf. They may be closer than most mother and son relationships are but surely that's something that naturally happens sometimes after a divorce when a child is young?

Grand Duke George can't be and in fact he is not member of Two Royal Houses.He has always been only member of the Imperial House of Russia.

I think his father would disagree with you. He used to say that he had a German passport for George Prinz Von Preussen, His father never renounced his Prussian titles and reverted to them when he divorced,

I think it rather unfair (and totally unsubstantiated) that Her Imperial Highness is being attacked for being an over-protective mother. The claims that she's somehow keeping the Grand Duke a prisoner as part of some large scale restoration plan is not only unkind but very obviously untrue.

Firstly, although he may not be married yet, the Grand Duke is 30 years old, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden didn't marry until she was 33. Not being very well known to the outside (non royal watcher world!), it's unlikely that we'll hear about any romantic links the Grand Duke may have had until he actually marries. I very much doubt that Grand Duchess Maria is forcing him to remain single to suit her own needs. I also find it quite nasty to suggest that Her Imperial Highness hasn't had a life or that she has nobody else in her life other than her son. Just because we don't see the Grand Duchess' circle of friends, doesn't mean that she's making her son's life a living hell or locking him up in some kind of "Baby Jane" situation. The Grand Duke worked at the European Parliament, Maria wasn't there with him every day at work. Indeed, they were seperated because George lived in Brussels and Luxembourg and Maria was in Spain (as well as abroad representing the Imperial Family). I'm sure if the Grand Duke read some of the statements made here, he'd wonder why people are attacking his mother on his behalf. They may be closer than most mother and son relationships are but surely that's something that naturally happens sometimes after a divorce when a child is young?

Look at Gloria and Albert of Thurn and Taxis. They are very close, kiss on each other cheek and hug in public and he has and had girlfriend(s).

Look at Gloria and Albert of Thurn and Taxis. They are very close, kiss on each other cheek and hug in public and he has and had girlfriend(s).
There is a great difference between Georgi and Albert,although Gloria seems to be very protective,Albert appears to decide himself what to do in his life,Albert's father is dead,while Georgi's father is alive,but we haven't seen them together.Georgi's private life is very hidden and GD Maria Vladimirovna cares about her adult son like a hen-mother,just my opinion.

There is a great difference between Georgi and Albert,although Gloria seems to be very protective,Albert appears to decide himself what to do in his life,Albert's father is dead,while Georgi's father is alive,but we haven't seen them together.Georgi's private life is very hidden and GD Maria Vladimirovna cares about her adult son like a hen-mother,just my opinion.

This situation reminds me of a friend of mine whose mother is the same way. She does everything for him, and doesn't let him be independent. I couldn't handle being friends with him because of his mother. She refused to cut the apron strings, and I refused to be someone's gofer.

It's very probable that the same may occur with Georgi. Not many girls today want to constantly have to bow down to their mothers-in-law. I would hate for him to miss out on some personal happiness due to his mother's constant coddling.

It all depends on who he marries and if Maria approves.

Maria might be overly cautious.

I honestly think that you're right about that. No matter how 'uncertain' Georgi's position as "Heir" to the "Russian Throne," he is still a royal prince of Prussia and there are a lot of users and climbers out there who would manipulate and use him to become a princess and possibly even marry him, divorce him, and then soak him for all he might have. There are a lot of unscrupulous women out there who would marry him solely for his title.

He looks like a nice enough guy and nice guys are easily duped.

As someone who has bad social skills, Maria seems to have too much in common with Nicholas and alexandra. isolating their children for fear of the outside world, and the result is a socially immature child who can't really function in the outside world. People who know more about George(I refuse to call a grown man Georgi) can enlighten the convo about if he has had a job, gone to college and has had much contact with the outside world.

Georgi apparently studied at Oxford, works for a Russian energy company as a consultant/advisor, and knows English, Russian, and French.

His wikipedia entry is here: Grand Duke George Mikhailovich of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George was educated at Runnymede College in Madrid and at St Benet's Hall, Oxford. In Brussels, George worked at the European Parliament where he was an assistant to Loyola de Palacio, former European Commissioner for Transport and Energy. Later he moved to Luxembourg where he was employed at the European Commission's Directorate-General for Atomic Energy and Security. On December 12, 2008, George was appointed an aide to the Director General of MMC Norilsk Nickel, a major Russian nickel-mining company.

As someone who has bad social skills, Maria seems to have too much in common with Nicholas and alexandra. isolating their children for fear of the outside world, and the result is a socially immature child who can't really function in the outside world.

Do you have any evidence to substantiate that claim? The few people I know who have met Maria said nothing of the sort in regards to her personality.

George has not been nearly as sheltered by his mother as Maria was by her parents. After the divorce, he had visitation with his father. George was sent to private schools in Madrid, and, as Aristocat points out, he went on to Oxford, where he studied Science of Law and Economics. He held several positions at the European Commission in Belgium and in Luxembourg (for a time serving as an assistant to Loyola de Palacio, who was a witness at his parents' wedding in 1976), and now he works for Norilsk Nickel.

I've removed half a dozen of the most bitchy posts I've seen for a while. I doubt that many of the posters who are so quick to confidently psychoanalyse both Georgi and his mother know any more about them than any other regular reader of these threads. It's telling that the tone and manner of these posts reveals the same bitchy arrogance of which Georgi's mother is accused. More a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

On another note, the tag-teaming is becoming rather obvious, and tedious, as it spreads across various threads. Give it a rest ladies.

Warren
Administrator

Georgi might want to spend some time with a dietician and a personal trainer. He seems to have inherited his mother and grandmothers physique and likely will have to fight his weight all his life.

Does anyone have any idea as to his personality?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any idea as to his personality?

Judging by what I read, not much is known. And not much is out there either. My guess is that he's quiet. He doesn't look too comfortable being the center of attention.

It's so odd how successfully Maria keeps him cloistered from being too well known.

Maybe he is more interested in pursuing his own career than he is in continuing to pursue claims to a non-existent throne.
It would certainly be more sensible. I mean unless his aunt Helen leaves him what ever remains of her fortune someone in the family has to make some money.

Last edited:
I think it's fairly clear that GD George feels a commitment to the Imperial House, he's said as much many times in interviews.

Grand Duke George said:
The status of the Head of the Imperial House, who at present is my mother, Grand Duchess Maria Wladimirovna, and of her heir, naturally enough includes the possibility sometime in the future of being not only the head of the dynasty, but also of our homeland. Of course, this can only happen if the Russian people decide that they want and require the monarchy once again. If the day comes when I am called to this service, I will not turn away from it. But at present, I, following the example of all the heads of our House in exile—my great-grandfather, my grandfather, and my mother—strive to live according to the maxim: “Do your duty now, and let the future take care of itself.” It would be senseless to sit and dream: “What will I do if I ascend the throne.” I strive to be useful to my homeland in the position that I hold now, to help my mother to fulfill her duties, and to accumulate professional experience and knowledge that will be useful under any circumstances I may find myself in the future.

http://erhj.blogspot.com/2011/01/interview-with-his-imperial-highness.html

Grand Duke George was in Moscow from 16-21 October before heading to the celebrations of King Michael's birthday in Bucharest.

Google Translate

He looks like he is in desperate need of a tan and exercise routine.

Yeah; I compared him to "the Penguin" from Batman and he looks really pasty. He might have a job and career, but he looks suffocated with ennui.

He looks puffy and bloated. He needs to have a life; he can be Tsarevich, but he can't be ornamental and live life on his mother's terms.

Yes, he needs to combat the Bagration physique he inherited from his mother and grandmother.

He is very young and, yet, looks dumpy and frumpy. It is a pity. He looks like a nice young man, but out of step with reality, which I, suspect, his mother keeps him in. He is a good son, to a mother who wants her dreams realized, without thinking that he is entitled to a "real" life, not this silly pretention.

This thread just seems to go round and round, unfounded attacks on Maria being overbearing, the odd crack about George's appearance. I'd be interested to know if any of the people making these claims has ever spoken to the Grand Duke or has any concrete evidence to substantiate their allegations about his relationship with his mother and his views on the monarchy.

To be honest, there isn't much to talk about; he's not living a jet set lifestyle or running around showing off bad behavior. He isn't a major public figure and he isn't at all as active socially as the rest of (even the dethroned) the world's royalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom