General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: Feb 2015-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a fantastic idea...

The Prince of Wales is to open up the royal palaces when he becomes king, giving the public greater access to the monarch’s official and private homes.

Charles is planning to transform the royal residences from “private spaces to public places”. Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Balmoral, Sandringham and Clarence House will all open more widely for longer periods of the year.

Charles, 72, has started consulting the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and other members of the royal family about his plans to increase public access to the palaces while retaining them as homes. The Queen, 95, is understood to be aware of the plans. A royal source said: “The direction of travel is about greater opening-up of palaces and residences.”

A royal source said: “The prince wants to bring people in to connect with the institution. He recognises it needs to keep evolving, and in the modern era people want to be able to access their palaces. He embraces that and sees them as public places more than private spaces.”

A royal source said: “He will still do things at Windsor, but it won’t be his base like it is for the Queen, and he will look to open it up much further. When he’s in Scotland, he’s ensconced in Birkhall, and he wouldn’t necessarily see moving to Balmoral as appropriate or necessary.”

Balmoral, where the Queen is said to be at her happiest, is privately owned by the monarch. From April to July the public can usually access only three acres of the castle’s gardens, some of the grounds, and the ballroom, where the Queen hosts two ghillies’ balls. Charles is understood to be keen to open more rooms and the grounds for more of the year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/king-charles-to-open-palaces-for-the-people-2gqdmc9xj

Last edited:
Security would be a nightmare.

It would also be a case of certain areas open on some days and not others are they are being used or maybe the intention is for them to be museums and not used at all.

Sandringham is open now - except when a royal is actually staying in the main house so that bit doesn't make sense unless tourists are going to be allowed to walk through the house while the royals are also in residence - thus limiting the rooms that they will be able to use.

It would also be a case of certain areas open on some days and not others are they are being used or maybe the intention is for them to be museums and not used at all.

Sandringham is open now - except when a royal is actually staying in the main house so that bit doesn't make sense unless tourists are going to be allowed to walk through the house while the royals are also in residence - thus limiting the rooms that they will be able to use.

It is already possible to have a tour of Buckingham Palace during the Summer, when HM is away.( pre Covid ) These are huge buildings, it is possible to close off areas.
I am sure there are people still working in the private offices during this time that we never came across,

It is already possible to have a tour of Buckingham Palace during the Summer, when HM is away.( pre Covid ) These are huge buildings, it is possible to close off areas.
I am sure there are people still working in the private offices during this time that we never came across,
I can see that security and privacy would be an issue, especially in the smaller houses like Balmoral and Sandringham, but with Buckingham Palace it would just be a matter of clever scheduling. In Sweden large parts of the Royal Palace are always open and has been for a very long time. Parts of the palace is closed off since they're often used for ceremonies and meeting and tourists aren't allowed near the part of the palace that houses the offices, workshops or other rooms used by the staff. In the event of some other rooms being occasionally needed they're just temporarily closed off.
The big difference between the Royal Palace and Buckingham Palace is of course that people live in the latter, but I'm positive that tourists wouldn't be allowed near the living quarters.

I love this so much...such a lovely tribute to his dear papa

Spot the difference! ?
Prince Charles today recreated an iconic image of Prince Philip from 1977.
“@ClarenceHouse Almost 50 years on since his father’s visit to the site, The Prince today commemorated Belfast’s long history of commercial shipbuilding at @Harland_Wolff1”

Charles has better buckle up, because Harry is coming at him with guns blazing.

He’s very likely taking quotes entirely out of context ..If Charles said this, it was probably him trying to get William and Harry used to life in the fishbowl. Harry is making it sound like Charles didn’t give a damn about his sons, as if he didn’t care if they suffered.

“My father used to say to me when I was younger, he used to say to both William and I, ‘Well, it was like that for me so it’s going to be like that for you,’” he says in the series’ third episode, which centers around mental health treatment and recovery. “That doesn’t make sense. Just because you suffered, that doesn’t mean your kids have to suffer. Actually quite the opposite. If you suffered, do everything you can to make sure that whatever negative experiences you had, you can make it right for your kids.”

Last edited:

He’s very likely taking quotes entirely out of context ..If Charles said this, it was probably him trying to get William and Harry used to life in the fishbowl. Harry is making it sound like Charles didn’t give a damn about his sons, as if he didn’t care if they suffered.

In light of today’s BBC news, I’ll just wait for when Harry demands an investigation in Oprah because for her “deceitful behavior” in getting Harry to do the interview and other projects :lol:

That is correct. But I can understand why Harry took it the way the quote suggests. ‘Well, it was like that for me so it’s going to be like that for you’ implies whatever he was specifically talking about is inevitable because of the way the monarchy operates and the sort of life that it imposes on senior members of the BRF. I can also understand why Harry would see it as desirable for himself and his own children to get away from that toxic environment. What I do not understand is why Harry still played lip service to being a part of that institution by accepting a peerage and a big expensive royal wedding and expecting his father to dole out money to him. That all makes him look hypocritical and disingenuous.

That is correct. But I can understand why Harry took it the way the quote suggests. ‘Well, it was like that for me so it’s going to be like that for you’ implies whatever he was specifically talking about is inevitable because of the way the monarchy operates and the sort of life that it imposes on senior members of the BRF. I can also understand why Harry would see it as desirable for himself and his own children to get away from that toxic environment. What I do not understand is why Harry still played lip service to being a part of that institution by accepting a peerage and a big expensive royal wedding and expecting his father to dole out money to him. That all makes him look hypocritical and disingenuous.

I’m positive Harry is picking and choosing some of what his father said to suit his agenda; there’s clearly more to what Charles said (see below).Hugo Vickers wrote a defense of Charles and specifically mentioned Philip writing his son suggesting he make a decision on Diana. Charles misinterpreted it as Philip insisting he marry Diana even though the letter makes clear that wasn’t the case.

I DO agree with the last.point. I think it’s because Harry was upset at not getting his own court- his father agreed with HM that it couldn’t happen - and being “cut off”.

In The Me You Can’t See, the new Apple TV+ series about mental health matters, Prince Harry recalls how, as a boy, he received a paternal warning from his father about how hard a life of public service might be. The Duke appears to have mistaken this as evidence of a lack of compassion, one that ultimately played a part in his eventual departure from royal duties and from British shores.

For all the accusations in the Dimbleby book, I understand that there were two chapters that were never published because the Prince of Wales forbade it. These concerned Diana, Princess of Wales, and would have proven extremely damaging to her. But he put his respect for the mother of his sons above his own self-interest.
Now Prince Harry seems set on attacking his father at every turn. Yet Prince Charles was always a good parent, even though Diana went to some lengths to ensure her image as a mother eclipsed his as a father. I am sure that the moment of her death in 1997, he saw his primary role to be a good father and friend to those two boys.

Perhaps there is always a lair of misunderstanding between the generations. In 1981, Prince Charles misinterpreted a perfectly straightforward letter from the Duke of Edinburgh about Diana as an ultimatum to marry her forthwith. In fact, the letter said that he should not leave her floundering about with the press stalking her and should make up his mind; either marry her, or end the relationship before she was compromised – no ultimatum.

Now it seems that Prince Harry is exploiting well-meant words by a caring father as a contributing factor to his mental health issues. It is one thing to address these issues as they should be, but very much another to do this so publicly.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...hobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1621559716-1

I doubt it will go thar far, but who thought Harry would go THIS far? If it did go on, and Charles were to cut H off, I couldn’t blame him. His mum is 95 years old already dealing with personal heartache. So is Charles, who’s 74 and, while in good shape, isn’t in his prime.

Despite the sustained attacks, Charles is understood to maintain hope of a reconciliation with his younger son.

‘I don’t think the Prince will cut his son off despite what Harry has said,’ one friend said.

‘Charles will want to engage, but it’s fair to say what Harry has said in both interviews with Oprah has been seen as very callous within the family. If Harry was to attack the Queen in a more personal way, Charles would close ranks with the Queen without a doubt and Harry would be out in the cold.’

The friend added: ‘Charles is such a gentle man and a dedicated father first and foremost. He’ll be feeling wretched. He wants to seek a reconciliation. He is not vindictive at all.’ [/QUOTE]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9608457/The-Queen-deeply-upset-Harrys-personal-attacks.html

He will always love his son, but I think that the signs are there that he's fed up with coddling him. I had thought that Charles would help him out financially for a couple of years, but from what Harry has siad, he has been tougher than that, and refused to do so....

He will always love his son, but I think that the signs are there that he's fed up with coddling him. I had thought that Charles would help him out financially for a couple of years, but from what Harry has siad, he has been tougher than that, and refused to do so....

He’s definitely fed up....he’s deeply hurt and angry. Maybe Harry thinks that there’s nothing he can say that will make his father not love him, so he’s immune to a degree from any real ramifications. Of course he’s right about Charles always loving him, but if he’s forgetting that parents are only human, and that he, himself, would want to protect his family, then H would find out differently.

I have to admire Charles for his ability to keep on keeping on and doing what he needs to do and not letting his private life with its travails overflow into his public roles. I cannot begin to think of what is going through his head with the recent bombs that have hit him regarding his son and the revelations stemming from his ex-wife's tell all interview but whatever he's thinking, he's not letting it bleed into his public duties and roles. That takes a strong willed man to do.

I have to admire Charles for his ability to keep on keeping on and doing what he needs to do and not letting his private life with its travails overflow into his public roles. I cannot begin to think of what is going through his head with the recent bombs that have hit him regarding his son and the revelations stemming from his ex-wife's tell all interview but whatever he's thinking, he's not letting it bleed into his public duties and roles. That takes a strong willed man to do.

He's a really good example for Harry to look to. No one took more grief and criticism through the War of the Wales than Charles did, but he didn't fight back against the media - he just got on with it, being himself, and now for the most part, they actually think he's a good man. That's not to say they won't criticize him, but it's just part of the game....Maybe in a way his devotion to his work has helped him whether the storms - he's just too busy to worry what the tabloids think. I think William handles things in a similar way.........

Wow, how wonderful! It’s a fantastic idea...and yes, I’d love to see photos of George, Charlotte and Louis enjoying Grandpa Wales’ playground!

Prince Charles is set to become one very popular grandparent after it's been announced that his Scottish property will soon be home to an epic adventure playground.

As well as his main Scottish residence, Birkhall, the Prince of Wales and his charity The Prince's Foundation also own Dumfries House which is set in 2,000 acres.

It already boasts a Woodland Adventure Playground that is open to the public, but it will be extended to include tree houses, rope bridges, a multilevel tower and racing slides, according to The Times.

And we can imagine Prince Charles' grandchildren Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis would be delighted with the garden feature should they ever visit.

The extension, which has now been approved, aims to help reduce stress among children, as well as encourage them to care for the environment.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/homes...umfries-house-adventure-playground-extension/

Oh this is so neat and just something so Charles. To create something like this for children where they're outdoors, learning about the environment by experiencing it and also designed to perfection to enrich a child's imagination.

I think I'd enjoy a park like that myself. Even at my old age. :D

What a good idea ! I appreciate him more and more. Thoughtful man ! And don't forget that Camilla's grandchildren will be able to play there too !

I'm sure all the grandchildren would be over the moon to spend time there but what touches me is that it's being created with all children in mind and not just his own specific grandkids.

Oh this is so neat and just something so Charles. To create something like this for children where they're outdoors, learning about the environment by experiencing it and also designed to perfection to enrich a child's imagination.

I think I'd enjoy a park like that myself. Even at my old age. :D

It is, and I was thinking how it's also so very William and Kate......

I've never quite grown up, so I think I'd join you !

I'm sure all the grandchildren would be over the moon to spend time there but what touches me is that it's being created with all children in mind and not just his own specific grandkids.

Truth. Charles is always so concerned about the generations to follow - I love that about him. That's going to be his legacy, or one of, I think......

I seriously need to see the Cambridge kids there.......

I think this goes here. Princess Olympic of Greece gave an interview where she talked about Charles as her Godfather. I just thought it was interesting:

Ties with our own Royal family were affirmed when Constantine II was asked to be Prince William’s godfather; Prince Charles returned the favour for Olympia. Is he a good godfather? "He’s the best; he always remembered my birthday. He’s such a nice man, has done so much for the environment and has such great stories. He would nail my present: something from Gap when I was really into that, or maybe a little necklace, and once he sent me a fountain pen. Of course, presents stop when you’re 18, but we still write to one another."

As a godfather, Prince Charles was present at her Greek Orthodox baptism in Istanbul. At that point the family were personae non gratae in Greece. "We didn’t go there for years," says Olympia

https://archive.ph/TFWYV

Prince Charles's Private Secretary has said they intend to keep using Zoom after the pandemic ends because it's easy to gather people together and environmentally friendly.

This is not intended to replace face to face but augment it.

Prince Charles, 72, has so enjoyed the dual advantages of being able to convene heads of state from across the globe while at the same time reducing carbon emissions that he intends to make such practices permanent.

Clive Alderton, his private secretary, said the Prince had “really enjoyed” being able to conduct video meetings with “numerous” heads of state and government during the pandemic, from the chancellor of Germany to the King of Jordan.

“When Covid restrictions finally disappear, I think we might just retain some of these methods of working,” he disclosed.

Describing them as “real positives,” he added: “We became very used to and increasingly comfortable with mobile devices propped up on piles of books as messages are recorded or Zoom calls were joined.”

A source close to the Prince said he had been “really struck” by the “sort of diplomacy” that could be conducted remotely.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...enjoys-zoom-much-will-use-post-pandemic-says/

:previous: He's not slow and it will reduce his and other's carbon footprints considerably.

If I'm not mistaken, before the pandemic, I don't think Charles was all that enthused about getting online. Not because of any reason other than he probably was busy doing other things. A lot of people really discovered the benefits of video chatting and messaging when lockdowns and restrictions hit. My husband is one of them. Refused to get a smartphone and couldn't care less about getting online. He got his first smartphone earlier this year and now is permanently attached to the thing.

With the world a zoom call away, I'm glad Charles finds doing things this way has its benefits.

:previous: He's not slow and it will reduce his and other's carbon footprints considerably.

And considering tourist revenues at Royal properties for the past year .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom