General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pity that it doesn't look like him at all.

The Duke of Cambridge was at the Houghton International Horse Trials at the weekend to support Zara who competed there, see here.

Good for him, I hope this drives up sales of the Big Issue for ordinary vendors.

Has this been confirmed by their own office? And where are they supposed to live in Berkshire? You'd think that having 2 homes would be sufficient and a third home isn't necessary.

presumably if tehy do move to Berkshire it will be to Windsor

presumably if tehy do move to Berkshire it will be to Windsor

Thanks! I am now also reading the caption under the picture that states that the children will 'play at Windsor' and they are moving to 'the Estate'. Weren't there rumours they were moving to the house that was previously used by the Duke of Windsor (when he was still the prince of Wales)?

Edit: Looked it up. It is called Fort Belvedere.

well where else would they go? wtih the queen now at Windsor for the rest of her life, it may be considered a good idea for Will and K to live there too. so they may give up Anmer or use it as a private residence.

I would hope they'd bring some better associations to the Fort, but.... meh.

I just don't like the thought of them living at Edward VIII's house.

Good god Edward is not fred West. why shouldnt they live in the house and make use of it.

Seems the royal reporters are convinced. Not sure about school in Bucklebury. I am sure it will be Windsor. And I am sure co-ed. Given Kate's experience at an all girls school I am not sure she would want that for the Charlotte. I do think eventually, when older, Marlborough may be on the cards for all of them.

The children are photographed an awful lot in London apparently but they just aren't published and this will increase as they get older.

None of the Queens grandchildren really grew up in London and they will certainly have a nicer life.

I do question whether it is necessary to keep the Kensington Palace private apparentments then.
Would one fo the cottages not do very well if they needed to stay.

I mean by anyone standards Windsor is gorgeous.best of luck to them.

Do the Weston's no longer reside at Fort Belvedere?

Do the Weston's no longer reside at Fort Belvedere?

He died last year. But the family were still supposed to be there.

In honesty they could be moving anywhere.

Adelaide Cottage?

Hmmm, I don't know what to think. If the headline was simply that the Cambridges are moving to Berkshire, my first thought would be Windsor Castle or one of the other Windsor houses. What gives me pause / second thoughts about the blurb posted from The Times is that usually when the location in question is part of Windsor Castle / Windsor Great Park / Windsor Home Park, the media refers to it as Windsor, not Berkshire.

Also even though Windsor and Bucklebury are in Berkshire, they are 30-35 miles apart, so if the Cambridge kids reside at Windsor and go to school in Bucklebury, then they are going to be spending a good chunk of their day commuting, be boarders and/or move in/spend lots of time at casa Middleton.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't know what to think. If the headline was simply that the Cambridges are moving to Berkshire, my first thought would be Windsor Castle or one of the other Windsor houses. What gives me pause / second thoughts about the blurb posted from The Times is that usually when the location in question is part of Windsor Castle / Windsor Great Park / Windsor Home Park, the media refers to it as Windsor, not Berkshire.

Also even though Windsor and Bucklebury are in Berkshire, they are 30-35 miles apart, so if the Cambridge kids reside at Windsor and go to school in Bucklebury, then they are going to be spending a good chunk of their day commuting, be boarders and/or move in/spend lots of time at casa Middleton.

Article says they are moving to Windsor estate. I would be very surprised, if this is the case, if they they don’t go to St George’s. It’s on the estate.

The Daily Mail has an article about the move with the Sunday Times as its source. It says that the Cambridges are moving to the Windsor estate and that their children are going to school in Berkshire, but it does not narrow it down to Bucklebury.

Now it's Berkxit! William and Kate to move their family to Berkshire as Duke of Cambridge turns 40

• William and Kate are planning to move to a house on Windsor Estate, say reports
  • They are planning to move their children into a new school, say Sunday Times
  • The couple's main residence is currently at Kensington Palace, in west London
  • William and Kate will reportedly keep property, as well as Anmer Hall in Norfolk
William and Kate are set to swap the hustle and bustle of London to take up residence in leafy Berkshire, according to reports.

It is claimed that The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are set to move to a house on the Queen's Windsor estate this summer - leaving behind Kensington Palace as their main residence.

According to The Sunday Times, [...]

George and Charlotte will then join their younger brother, Prince Louis, 4, at a new school in Berkshire in September, the paper reports.

Last edited:
If Fort Belvedere would be the preferred option, they wouldn't be that close to Windsor either as it located south of Windsor Great Park near Sunningdale. It's between 8-9 miles to St George's at Windsor Castle. So about 20 minutes by car, which might be expected for any school in their case but to me it's still quite a distance for a primary school.

While St George's at Windsor Castle is a co-ed for 3-13 years; there is also a St George's Ascot (it might be a coincidence they share the same name) which is for girls 11-18, so that might be an option for Charlotte if they would decide on Eton for George and Louis. They don't have much time if they want to get a spot at Eton; parents need to apply over 3 years in advance, so if they would like George to attend from Grade 9 and follow the normal admission process, they need to apply by June 30, 2023, so he can start in September 2026.

Eton College's procedure that requires admission that many years in advance ensures that it remains the same 'old boys club' and few newcomers will get in as they are less likely to register that far in advance. This is a common way for schools to (consciously or unconsciously) reduce diversity at their schools.

Last edited:
If Fort Belvedere would be the preferred option, they wouldn't be that close to Windsor either as it located south of Windsor Great Park near Sunningdale. It's between 8-9 miles to St George's at Windsor Castle. So about 20 minutes by car, which might be expected for any school in their case but to me it's still quite a distance for a primary school.

That house is apparently still leased by the Weston’s. But in any case Eugenie and Louise attended that school.

They don't have much time if they want to get a spot at Eton; parents need to apply over 3 years in advance, so if they would like George to attend from Grade 9 and follow the normal admission process, they need to apply by June 30, 2023, so he can start in September 2026.

George is the eventual heir to the throne and Eton is the fount of founts of privilege; I'm reasonably sure his parents could decide they'd like him to attend a week before term time, and the school wouldn't have a problem with that.

George is the eventual heir to the throne and Eton is the fount of founts of privilege; I'm reasonably sure his parents could decide they'd like him to attend a week before term time, and the school wouldn't have a problem with that.

Let’s be honest Harry definitely wouldn’t have passed the 13 plus for entry and perhaps not William neither.

If they want him to go he will go but funnily enough seeing as it’s boarding only I think he wont go. They seem set on co ed for one thing. More power to them.

Family moving away from boarding. Beatrice never fully boarded and James and Louise don’t.

Not to mention another heir, his own father, is an old scholar. I would hazard a guess a spot would be made available to George and Louis if they choose to send them there.

Do Pippa and James Matthews also own a property in Berkshire?

I know. That's why I included 'and follow the normal admission procedure'. While I am sure the school would make an exception, I hope that William and Catherine don't intend to misuse their privileged position but follow the normal procedures.

The more I am reading about Boarding (for example on Eton College's website) - especially how they emphasize how much learning takes place outside of the classrooms, the more I wonder why parents decide to outsource guiding/supporting the personal development of their own children at this crucial age (young teenagers). So, if William and Catherine indeed decide to have their children attend day school for as long as possible, I would applaud that choice.

Last edited:
I suspect that George's and Louis's names were put down for Eton at birth, along with all three having their names down for Marlborough. That is often the way for these schools. Parents don't leave it to the last minute to apply for these types of schools but leave their options open as long as possible.

Let’s be honest Harry definitely wouldn’t have passed the 13 plus for entry and perhaps not William neither.

Let's not cast aspersions, especially unnecessarily. William is perfectly bright (even if Kate has better A-levels) and did just fine at school and university, getting better results than both his parents and all his near paternal relatives, even if his own mother wondered where his brain came from. That's a lot to fudge. Harry is an entirely separate case, but Will belonged at Eton.

The more I am reading about Boarding (for example on Eton College's website) - especially how they emphasize how much learning takes place outside of the classrooms, the more I wonder why parents decide to outsource guiding/supporting the personal development of their own children at this crucial age (young teenagers). So, if William and Catherine indeed decide to have their children attend day school for as long as possible, I would applaud that choice.

They are somewhat different stages, but a 15-year-old attending UWC isn't really that different from a 13-year-old attending any other public school, especially if the 13-year-old has been boarding since the age of eight.

If teenagers (and even younger children) couldn't develop properly away from home, boarding schools wouldn't exist at this point. It's a personal choice for each family who makes the decision.

Let's not cast aspersions, especially unnecessarily. William is perfectly bright (even if Kate has better A-levels) and did just fine at school and university, getting better results than both his parents and all his near paternal relatives, even if his own mother wondered where his brain came from. That's a lot to fudge. Harry is an entirely separate case, but Will belonged at Eton.

I wasn’t but the Eton entrance test is notoriously difficult and it is a fact that he got the worst A Levels In his year. There isn’t really a comparison of when he did them and when his father did his exams. Diana didn’t do well in school. Nothing wrong with any of that and I had a chat once with a teacher at Eton. William was lovely and bright and interesting. And he definitely is very good at what he does and has many different forms of intelligence. His wife did academically better than him at school and actually so did Eugenie. And actually so did Beatrice but some of her subjects weren’t as hard. He also didn’t really get the going entrance results for St Andrews that year either. It’s just a fact and like I said William has shown himself to be a very savvy operator and his results by no means make him any kind of slouch. He went to a school were basically most people got all A’s and to a University that was pretty much the same. I mean in 2000 when you sat one set of exams at the end of 2 years that was a rarified group of people.

Last edited:
William didn't get the 'worst A levels' in his year. Harry did but not William.

William did get the A levels required for St Andrews that year. To get into History of Art now takes a higher level than he got 20 years ago but he did meet the standard required when he went there. He was absolutely insistent that he would go to a uni or do a course for which he didn't get the grades, unlike his father and uncle who both went to Cambridge although neither had the grades for that university.

William got 3 A levels - 2 As and a C

Harry got 3 A levels - 1 B and 1 D

Catherine got 3 A levels - 2 As and 1 B (although another site I have seen says it was 1 A, 1B and 1C)

Beatrice had 1 A and 2 Bs while Eugenie earned 2 As and 1 B.

Could TRH The Cambridges move into Frogmore House? Or would it take too much renovation to make it a family home, and/or too far away from any good schools?

William didn't get the 'worst A levels' in his year. Harry did but not William.

William did get the A levels required for St Andrews that year. To get into History of Art now takes a higher level than he got 20 years ago but he did meet the standard required when he went there. He was absolutely insistent that he would go to a uni or do a course for which he didn't get the grades, unlike his father and uncle who both went to Cambridge although neither had the grades for that university.

William got 3 A levels - 2 As and a C

Harry got 3 A levels - 1 B and 1 D

Catherine got 3 A levels - 2 As and 1 B (although another site I have seen says it was 1 A, 1B and 1C)

Beatrice had 1 A and 2 Bs while Eugenie earned 2 As and 1 B.

William got an A and B and a C. I remember it well we got our results the same time.

And I have always heard Catherine got the first of those results indicated.

They were the worst that year at Eton…but please by no means bad A Levels. He was kinda fudging with the results to get in. Kate would not have with those grades. But a more appropriate University results wise then Cambridge,

Let’s leave this conversion. It was a factual statement about the fact he went to one of the most difficult schools there is to get into in the UK and the obvious correlation that most people get all A’s. Doesn’t mean that any of those people are the brightest sparks or have the obvious savvy William has shown. Means they have opportunities to achieve excellent results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom