General News for Queen Elizabeth II: April 2021 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect her to do her job or admit she can't and ask parliament to appoint Charles as Regent.

she is able to do her job, she is easily tired these days and can't do as much as she used to, but she's able to do the basic tasks. Victoria often got her PMs to come up to Balmoral to kiss hands, when she was in perfeclty good health.

The Queen is already of advanced age, no more work can be demanded of her. I think from now on the Prince of Wales will inevitably take on more official duties.

She turns 97 next April… It’s just the course of nature that she can’t do everything the way she used to do, and that we will see less and less of her from now on…

The regency act will only be triggered if she becomes senile… As long as she can do the basic in house work, read, understand and signing papers, she’ll do that and delegate most of everything else to Charles and others…

She turns 97 next April… It’s just the course of nature that she can’t do everything the way she used to do, and that we will see less and less of her from now on…

The regency act will only be triggered if she becomes senile… As long as she can do the basic in house work, read, understand and signing papers, she’ll do that and delegate most of everything else to Charles and others…

Well that is what is happening. She does what she can, during the Jubilee, sometimes she appeared other times she did not. She can still meet her PM, and see poeple in person or by Zoom but she's probably not up to actually going out that much now. Charles is taking over more and more.

There's no law saying that a new PM has to be officially appointed in London or at Windsor. The ceremony can take place at Balmoral, Bognor Regis, Blackpool or anywhere else and be equally valid.

There's no law saying that a new PM has to be officially appointed in London or at Windsor. The ceremony can take place at Balmoral, Bognor Regis, Blackpool or anywhere else and be equally valid.

true but for convenience, it is problaby a nuisance for the PM to have to travel all the way to Scotland. Victoria was prone to do that - expected her PMs to trail all over to find her....and it was considered selfish of her. But Elizabeth is so old now, that Im sure a PM is not going ot mind a trip to Scotland.

We are not at the end by of the earth, a flight to Aberdeen followed by a car journey, then back again ,
It might not have the flashiness of driving through London to BP and all the attention it brings but we need somebody in charge asap.

We are not at the end by of the earth, a flight to Aberdeen followed by a car journey, then back again ,
It might not have the flashiness of driving through London to BP and all the attention it brings but we need somebody in charge asap.

It is still a long journey for a busy man or woman whose work is largley based in London. however, given the queens age, I expect that whoever becomes PM will not mind.

Well all this and it still isn't official where the Queen will appoint her new Prime Minister, just as it was only ever the media that said she would return South to do it in the first place. This is very much IMO the media making a story out of their own speculation.

The Queen is still doing her duty IMO. If William was King and god forbid fell off his polo pony and broke his leg requiring him to ask a new PM to travel to him would we be saying he needs to abdicate? The Queen's duty is to grant an audience to her new PM they can be appointed, she is doing that.

Last edited:
The PM is usually invited to spend some time at Balmoral during the summer holidays anyway. And it's not such a long journey. I think the media are making a lot of fuss about nothing.

Well all this and it still isn't official where the Queen will appoint her new Prime Minister, just as it was only ever the media that said she would return South to do it in the first place. This is very much IMO the media making a story out of their own speculation.

The Queen is still doing her duty IMO. If William was King and god forbid fell off his polo pony and broke his leg requiring him to ask a new PM to travel to him would we be saying he needs to abdicate? The Queen's duty is to grant an audience to her new PM they can be appointed, she is doing that.

yes she is doing her duty but it is hardly ideal. She is elderly and frail and its getting harder for her to work and cooperate with her PM etc.

I would expect her to do her job or admit she can't and ask parliament to appoint Charles as Regent.

Is there any enthusiasm in the public arena for the Queen to have a regent at this time? I thought most people believe she will step aside when it’s time, and that they trust her to make the decision wisely and in a timely manner.

Is there any enthusiasm in the public arena for the Queen to have a regent at this time? I thought most people believe she will step aside when it’s time, and that they trust her to make the decision wisely and in a timely manner.

None that I know of. Quite the opposite. I'm sure if the need arises it will happen with a minimum of fuss.

The pm designate travelling to Balmoral & then back to London is no great hardship.

Wouldn’t they just use a helicopter from London to Balmoral for the new PM rather than disturb the Queen? He/she with perhaps someone from the Queen’s staff at BP. It would take less time than planes and then cars and wouldn’t take too much out of the day.

but itsn that bad, taking helicopters or planes

but itsn that bad, taking helicopters or planes

Somebody has to travel whether the Queen comes to London or they go to her.
To be honest the two contenders have trailed about for the last 6 weeks doing nothing constructive so one more day to go to Balmoral will not make any difference.

The Queen always goes to Balmoral in the summer, so someone was always going to have to travel in order for the new PM to be appointed. I don't think anyone's going to care very much whether the new PM travels by plane, train or automobile as long as the appointment takes place.

Yes, this was always going to happen - someone travelling to someone. Given HM is always at Balmoral at this time really it should fall on the new PM to travel to her as the timings on the leadership contest were set by the Conservative Party.

I'm sure either way the logistics have probably been planned for a while now, even if the media don't know the details.

Purely IMO but I don't think it would do any harm for the new UK PM to have to travel to HM in Scotland to be appointed. IMO it would probably look worse for HM to travel back to England to do it then return but that is just my opinion.

Two PMs will have to travel - Boris has to go to resign and tell the Queen who he recommends should replace him. Then she has to send for the replacement (of course they could go up on the same plane but I am not sure they will want to do that).

Presumably the new cabinet will be appointed via zoom rather than in person or will the entire cabinet also have to travel north to be sworn in?

yes she is doing her duty but it is hardly ideal. She is elderly and frail and its getting harder for her to work and cooperate with her PM etc.
She's doing her job in Scotland, rather than in England. And that's just fine by me!
Say what! There is no evidence to support that statement whatsoever. HM Queen Elizabeth II still has all her dogs barking, her hamster is firmly treading its treadmill, etc. There is not, nor has there ever been, any question as to her mental health, namely dementia or Alzheimer's disease. If the PM-designate has to undertake the arduous trek to the wilds of the Scottish Highlands, I am sure he and his retinue will easily arrive with the aid of Traps, horses and a damned good compass having experienced the purity of the Scottish air and exercised their London Fog brains.

I am hoping that she is enjoying her summer holiday despite still needing to deal with the Red Box which magically appears on her desk each day.

I see no evidence of her inability to do her job. Do you?

I see no evidence of her inability to do her job. Do you?

She's not unabel to her job per se, but she is a lot tireder these days and clearly cannot do public appearances very much, and has to rest and take care a lot more than she used to.

In fairness, public appearances are a relatively new, and constitutionally superfluous element to the Queen's duties. As long as she is mentally sound, can sign her name and talk to the Prime Minister of the day, even if by telephone and attend private Privy council Meetings (which have been done largely online anyway) she is doing all her job asks of her. The bit I would be more worried about is her inability to attend the State Opening of Parliament.

In fairness, public appearances are a relatively new, and constitutionally superfluous element to the Queen's duties. As long as she is mentally sound, can sign her name and talk to the Prime Minister of the day, even if by telephone and attend private Privy council Meetings (which have been done largely online anyway) she is doing all her job asks of her. The bit I would be more worried about is her inability to attend the State Opening of Parliament.

she is an old frail woman. it does not mean that she cant' do the basics of the job but it does mean that she needs a lot more support from her family to do the various tasks that she used to do.

she is an old frail woman. it does not mean that she cant' do the basics of the job but it does mean that she needs a lot more support from her family to do the various tasks that she used to do.

That is more or less what she said at the jubilee.

Exactly. There is no need for a 96 year old to be out and about doing 400 odd engagements all over the country as she used to. Whilst I think getting out and about is a really important part of the monarchs job - for allowing them to connect with the people, different parts of the country, different parts of society etc HM has done that for 70 years so has done more than her time, knows her country and people well and can limit herself to the important matters of state leaving the engagements to others in her family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom