General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had "We'll meet again" going through my head a few times in the last few weeks.

Dame Vera Lynn, now aged over 100 but still going strong, was the "Forces Sweetheart" who gave concerts for the troops during the Second World War. Her two most famous songs were "We'll Meet Again" and "White Cliffs of Dover".

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away

So will you please say hello
To the folks that I know
Tell them I won't be long
They'll be happy to know
That as you saw me go
I was singing this song

It's a very well-known song here, and, during the war, it obviously spoke about people who were separated from loved ones who were in the Armed Forces, or were working away in the Land Army, or children who'd been evacuated. It would almost certainly have been sung at the commemoration of the 75th anniversary of VE Day, if it'd gone ahead, which is unlikely now. We're all separated from our families and friends at the moment, so it means a lot.

I think it's popular in other countries as well - maybe the Netherlands?

For those who are not familiar

Dame Vera Lynn - We'll Meet Again (1943)

I've had "We'll meet again" going through my head a few times in the last few weeks.

Dame Vera Lynn, now aged over 100 but still going strong, was the "Forces Sweetheart" who gave concerts for the troops during the Second World War. Her two most famous songs were "We'll Meet Again" and "White Cliffs of Dover".

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away

So will you please say hello
To the folks that I know
Tell them I won't be long
They'll be happy to know
That as you saw me go
I was singing this song

It's a very well-known song here, and, during the war, it obviously spoke about people who were separated from loved ones who were in the Armed Forces, or were working away in the Land Army, or children who'd been evacuated. It would almost certainly have been sung at the commemoration of the 75th anniversary of VE Day, if it'd gone ahead, which is unlikely now. We're all separated from our families and friends at the moment, so it means a lot.

I think it's popular in other countries as well - maybe the Netherlands?

Thank you! How beautiful ....and how awesome that Dame Vera Lynn is still with us!

An Ard Ri - thank you for sharing; what a beautiful, sentimental song!

Last edited by a moderator:
It never fails to amaze me that when the Queen speaks, she resonates with each and every one of us in some way. She gently reminds us that we, as a people, have gone through hard times and have prevailed. She reminds us of the innate goodness and compassion to be found in every corner one looks during this pandemic.

The parallels were comforting. Remembering children being separated for safety during war times is something she lived and her first broadcast centered on with her sister, Margaret. Now some 80 years later, she's doing the exact same thing. Comforting those of us in isolation away from our loved ones and friends.

*This* is the reason Queen Elizabeth II is iconic. :globe:

I wonder what the viewing figures were for tonights address by the queen?

The Queen's address to us was uplifting and far above anything a politician could deliver because she has been the constant, unwavering, dedicated servant of our country for most of our lives.

This will be remembered as The Queen's speech.

This will be remembered as The Queen's speech.

I think you’re right.

It was a powerful, reassuring speech. Just what everyone needed to hear imo. Including those of us who aren’t British.

Although I admire the Queen personally, in the past, I've not been a fan of having any monarch be our symbolic head of state in Canada (because it's based on birth).

However, today I'm proud that she's our symbolic head of state and our Queen. We re fortunate . Bless her and wishing all of us world wide the strength and stamina throughout this pandemic.

:wub::wub::canflag2:Thank you Your Majesty from a Jamaican Canadian as myself and my Canadian born daughter. Your words has touched us all. May God keep you safe and healthy for years to come.:flowers:

Although I admire the Queen personally, in the past, I've not been a fan of having any monarch be our symbolic head of state in Canada (because it's based on birth).

However, today I'm proud that she's our symbolic head of state and our Queen. We re fortunate . Bless her and wishing all of us world wide the strength and stamina throughout this pandemic.

Monarchy is atavistic.

Now guys that's what Monarchy, greatness, dedication and true leadership are all about.
The Queen speaks, the World listens.

Last edited:
The Queen's speech was as close to perfect for the time and situation as it was possible to get.

A powerful, inspiring and comforting message from our Queen that was heard all over Britain and the Commonwealth. Well done Your Majesty.

HM carried out her speech wonderfully today. It couldn't have been better given the extraordinary times we're in.

I know nothing she said was unexpected and the papers had many of the quotes anyway but I did find it reassuring and very well done. I guess it's as people say, most of us don't remember a time when she wasn't there and there's something to be said for how we even unconsciously view that. I also don't mind at all that it's only coming now and not at the start as with other monarchies, this was a good moment for it and it's not something she or the government do lightly.

And the fact that she could draw parallels to a not entirely dissimilar speech she (and Margaret) made 80 years ago is staggering.

I did wonder if she was going to address Holy Week at all as she has talked about her faith and mentioned gospel passages in recent Christmas messages but on reflection it wasn't necessary or pertinent to the situation and "all faiths and none" was very inclusive.

Last edited:
A lovely speech, I felt quite moved by her words and sentiment. Everyday we hear the heartbreaking statistics from Italy, Spain, and the rest of Europe and we try to make sense of it all.
There is more I would like to say but I can't find the right words at the moment.

Elegant speech. Moved me to tears. What a tough time the world is going through. We needed this. I live in America but I needed this just as much.

I don't know how she did it but she made every nation and every faith or none feel equally she was speaking to them, that things are dire and unsaid but implied that there may be worse to come but we can do it. We can come out the other side better people than we were when this started. Her delivery was perfect. No theatrics, just her, sitting there, looking at a camera and speaking and I believe the whole world heard.

Queen Elizabeth has given people a feeling of fellowship, of unity and encouragement. She has reminded people that SHTF happens but what is important is not whose fault it is but how you respond to it, how you pull together and do your bit even if it's just staying home and wearing a mask when you leave home to get the groceries. We're all in this together all over the world.

I don't know how she did it but she made every nation and every faith or none feel equally she was speaking to them, that things are dire and unsaid but implied that there may be worse to come but we can do it. We can come out the other side better people than we were when this started. Her delivery was perfect. No theatrics, just her, sitting there, looking at a camera and speaking and I believe the whole world heard.

Queen Elizabeth has given people a feeling of fellowship, of unity and encouragement. She has reminded people that SHTF happens but what is important is not whose fault it is but how you respond to it, how you pull together and do your bit even if it's just staying home and wearing a mask when you leave home to get the groceries. We're all in this together all over the world.

Well said. HM is more of my Queen than the President is my President (he’s not). She’s so inspiring - acknowledging that we are facing difficult times, but having faith that we will come out the other side. We are facing an enemy every bit as deadly as the Nazis, and this is a war, but we will prevail. The Queen saw the worst as a young girl, so she knows what she’s speaking of. She’s so inspiring...

Don't mention the War...

I don't know how she did it but she made every nation...

I don't know, but I'm not in a good mood, so, this: She was comparing the struggle against the virus with the war efforts of World War 2. So, the virus is a threat like the Nazis.

WW2 was fought against the Nazis, which were German... I am German... Wait, What?

The patriotic friendlyness of Her Majesty the Queen this short after the Brexit might be no by accident... Call me crazy, but I have these associations!

WW2 was fought against the Nazis, which were German... I am German... Wait, What?
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are also part-German; i doubt they meant Germans.

I myself am part-German, and didn't take it that way.

I'm sure The Queen knows the difference between Germans and nazis.

I don't know, but I'm not in a good mood, so, this: She was comparing the struggle against the virus with the war efforts of World War 2. So, the virus is a threat like the Nazis.

I think you've misinterpreted her comparison between the virus and Nazism. I don't think she was criticizing modern day Germans AT ALL.

I do not think modern day Germans = Nazis - far from it. I'm quite surprised that you think she was making that equation.

The majority of modern day Germans were born after the war or were young children who had no influence on the policy in World War 2. People know that Germany long ago repudiated the terrible ideology of Nazism (Nuremburg trials etc) and that children in Germany are educated about Nazism so it will not happen again.

Personally, there's much I admire about modern day Germany and I feel that it is one of the countries that other countries look up to as well being an ally. BTW I also have some German heritage myself as well as having family in Germany, some of who are German themselves...

Last edited:
I think HM was talking about how the people of the UK, the Commonwealth and the world at handles the stress and separations from husbands, wives, fiances, children and parents.

In short, how people managed to cope with life under horrendous conditions while separated from their wider support systems. Literally "We'll meet again . . . "

The patriotic friendlyness of Her Majesty the Queen this short after the Brexit might be no by accident... Call me crazy, but I have these associations!

I didn't get that sentiment at all from the Queen's speech and agree with others that have posted after your remarks here.

Something different did occur to me because of your words that rings true for both those that had lived through the horrors of Nazism and all of us that are now struggling to cope with this virus. I'm reminded of Viktor Frankl's, a concentration camp survivor, powerful words in his work "Man's Search For Meaning". It rings true today as much as it rang true for him while in the camp.

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

Thank you all for your calming words, EllieCat, Purrs and Marg and Osipi! :flowers:

I am a nerve weck at them moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom