General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that occurred to me looking at the pictures the first article presented is that we don't know for sure if the Queen was wearing a lap seatbelt. I'm of an age that remembers cars with no seat belts at all and then cars with only the lap belts. The across the shoulders restrainer is a relatively newfangled thing in my head. Dates me doesn't it?

We have to remember too that most times when the Queen is riding in her State cars (like on the trip to Parliament), she has a well trained driver and most likely outriders. The chances of a collision would be very, very slim.

My mother is about a decade younger than the Queen. For years she refused to buckle up. Older people are sometimes stubborn about some things.
Realize that for many many years seat belts did not exist. Even once cars came equipped with them they weren't mandatory for a long time & most people chose not to buckle up. My mother finally caved in & started buckling up after a police officer wrote her a hefty ticket for not doing so about 15 years ago.
In the Queen's case she is often on her way to an engagement & most likely doesn't want to crease/wrinkle her clothes.
The Queen also refuses to wear a helmet when she rides horses.
When you have lived through as much change as the Queen and Phillip have I think they should be allowed to continue to do some things as they did them in younger days if they want such as riding in cars w/out seat belts & on horses w/out helmets.

My mother is about a decade younger than the Queen. For years she refused to buckle up. Older people are sometimes stubborn about some things.

Realize that for many many years seat belts did not exist. Even once cars came equipped with them they weren't mandatory for a long time & most people chose not to buckle up. My mother finally caved in & started buckling up after a police officer wrote her a hefty ticket for not doing so about 15 years ago.

In the Queen's case she is often on her way to an engagement & most likely doesn't want to crease/wrinkle her clothes.

The Queen also refuses to wear a helmet when she rides horses.

When you have lived through as much change as the Queen and Phillip have I think they should be allowed to continue to do some things as they did them in younger days if they want such as riding in cars w/out seat belts & on horses w/out helmets.

Most Sunday mornings I give my grandparents a lift to Church. Granny point blank refuses to put her seat belt on incase it creases her outfit. I rant and rave the entire way to church (2 miles on very quiet country roads).

I think The Queen is of that same mind set and generation.

However when travelling on State Occasions such as this the argument is really nonsensical - there are no other cars on the road except the entourage and this is a well rehearsed and police led state drive.

Concerning HM looking frail and things...
She *is* looking older lately, but still looking good for her age. (Of course she's having the best treatment when it comes down to medical things or things in general. Plus the genes from her mother...)
She *is* in fact walking more bent over, but as has been said, she still walks very well. The *only* thing I am always a bit worried of are her shoes and her heels. Apparently she feels comfortable in them, but given her age...
Shortcut: IMO she's ways from being frail ALTHOUGH she's lately ageing ( a bit ;))
If she remains like this (without falling etc) I bet she will be able to beat her mothers age.
As we all know longevity runs in the family and here is a photo of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother on her 90th birthday. Check out her shoes.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...thday-on-august-4-1990-in-picture-id178928274

As to driving, there was a time when the aged had to prove they were still capable of driving. That was deemed ageist and the age, inappropriate. Now they either hand them in themselves or, as a result of a driving infringement or if their doctor considers them a menace, the police will require a test.

As a result, with an aging population comes an increasing number of older drivers.

As a result, with an aging population comes an increasing number of older drivers.

And a whole lot more used cars on the market where its a case of a little old lady only driving it to church and back once a week. :D

But seriously, today with the Queen being 91, I don't think she's hopping in a car and tooling around London on her own. Being driven places for engagements or state occasions, as has been pointed out, the route is cleared and she has a professional driver with an entourage of outriders. The other times she does drive would be at Windsor (Philip recently was seen driving his carriage through Windsor even) and on the Sandringham and Balmoral estates which are deemed private property of the Queen and she knows that land like the back of her hand. Seat belts are not required on private property and private roads.

I'm sure that wherever the Queen goes, driving or riding her ponies, there is always someone that has a finely trained eagle eye on her.

Queen Elizabeth II is the UK's longest serving monarch - overtaking Queen Victoria's reign of 63 years, seven months and two days. When Elizabeth became Queen in 1952, Stalin was still leader of the USSR and Truman President of the US.

Queen Elizabeth: The many world leaders she has outlasted - BBC News

Scotland’s newest canal named Queen Elizabeth II Canal

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transp...anal-named-queen-elizabeth-ii-canal-1-4490828

Queen Elizabeth's celebrity fan club

http://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/12016030412401/celebrities-who-have-met-queen-elizabeth/

Exotic gifts for the Queen revealed in special exhibition | Daily Mail Online

From dinosaur bones and a straw hat to golden camels and a BAFTA, hundreds of exotic gifts the Queen has received over her 65-year reign are revealed in special exhibition

A COLLECTION of Christmas cards sent by the Queen and Prince Philip over a 30 year period have emerged to highlight the fascinating changes of the Royal Family.

Christmas cards sent by Queen and Prince Philip emerge for sale | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

A rare letter from the Queen to her midwife was written five months after the birth of Prince Edward in 1964

Another horse riding for the Queen in Balmoral

Queen shows no sign of slowing down as she goes horse riding | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Where the Queen and Prince Philip are involved I'd be fairly sure nothing is overlooked, including the need for seatbelts on state managed journeys.

However the use of seatbelts on open roads is a law of the land, so are there exclusion policies in place allowing the Queen to be driven unbelted?

The Queen lost her best friend Margaret last year, how lovely that her daughter-in-law has been chosen to take up such a very priviegded position.

:previous: I've followed her very closely since 2006 (the year I turned 18) and have read/heard so many lovely/heartwarming stories about her kindness, her down to earth and funny personality, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

We also used to se much more of this in public untill 2012 when she stopped with walkabouts and driving in open cars (the queenmobile) and started to appear a bit more reserved in public, but still with her amazing smile intact.

:previous: See the pictures here:
The Queen and Prince Philip's Christmas cards | Daily Mail Online
Portrait of a 70-year marriage: Christmas cards sent by the Queen and Prince Philip over the years go up for auction - giving a poignant glance at the enduring bond between the couple and their family

From young parents to devoted grandparents, these remarkable Christmas cards capture the enduring bond the Queen and Prince Philip share with their family.

The photographs, taken between 1971 and 2001, show how the royal couple's relationship changed and strengthened as they lived through decades of shifting family dynamics and political upheaval.

The couple, who celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary in November, sent the cards to an unnamed recipient each year, each time signing their own names in pen.

The collection of notes will go under the hammer in Cirencester, Gloustershire, tomorrow.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ens-centenary-with-40m-conservatory-nlzsf80lc
Dame Judi Dench is to spearhead a project to build a “Commonwealth conservatory” dedicated to the Queen to celebrate her 100th birthday, writes Roya Nikkhah.

The 45ft-high glass building in central London will be known as the Queen’s Commonwealth Conservatory and will be filled with plants from the 52 Commonwealth nations.
Summary by me - not translated from the article: It would be built on the site in London’s Regent’s Park of the former Winter Garden, and it's hoped that the building, which will include a lecture theatre, library, gallery and cafe, will become a tourist attraction and legacy of Her Majesty's record-breaking reign.

A charitable foundation has been established to raise £40m required for the project - it's hoped it will be met from public/private donations. Charles has been approached as a potential patron and Mark Evans (the project’s founder) said the conservatory would be a wonderful legacy and happy monument.

Last edited:
How old is Queen Elizabeth in the photo? She look very good.

More about the Queen's death - Alastair Campbell interviewed the Archbishop of Canterbury for British GQ Magazine - I've bolded Campbell questions:
Archbishop Justin Welby hopes he does not have to oversee the Queen's funeral | British GQ
How Justin Welby feels about the plans for the Queen's funeral

Alastair Campbell: Do you lose sleep thinking you might have to preside over the Queen’s funeral?

Justin Welby: I don’t lose sleep and I do hope I don’t have to do that.

Do you think about the enormity of it?

Yes, I do. It’s enormous whoever does it – God willing someone else – because it is an enormous public event. But as a parish priest, at every funeral you think about the enormity of it.

But the Queen is different. It is going to be one of the most extraordinary events of our lifetime.

It will. I don’t want to get into details because it is not something I want to talk about, but the Queen is the most extraordinary person, one of the most extraordinary people I have ever met, in every possible way. When it happens it will be the most extraordinary historic moment.
As I wrote in March and April, I adore the Queen and want her to live forever, and I dread the day she dies. But I do find the death/funeral (Operation London Bridge) of the British monarch, reigning Queen of 16 countries, figurehead of 2 billion people, the most popular and iconic head of state (many would say person) in the world (although it may sound a bit morbid) very interesting in a historical perspective.

Last edited:
More about the Queen's death - Alastair Campbell interviewed the Archbishop of Canterbury for British GQ Magazine - I've bolded Campbell questions:
Archbishop Justin Welby hopes he does not have to oversee the Queen's funeral | British GQ

As I wrote in March and April, I adore the Queen and want her to live forever, and I dread the day she dies. But I do find the death/funeral (Operation London Bridge) of the British monarch, reigning Queen of 16 countries, figurehead of 2 billion people, the most popular and iconic head of state (many would say person) in the world (although it may sound a bit morbid) very interesting in a historical perspective.

It’s going to be an enormous historical event and I think everyone is dreading such an event. Her family and everyone else. It’s on everyone’s minds because we’re in the last years of her reign now.

The Queen records a special message for Gardeners' Question time (BBC Radio 4)

Queen Elizabeth and her three corgis on the way for back to London

The Queen and her three corgis board a plane in Aberdeen | Daily Mail Online

Donald Trump 'to make working visit to Britain in early 2018 - but he won't meet the Queen'

President Trump to make working visit to Britain in early 2018 but he won't meet the Queen

Following in Royal footsteps: An African adventure fit for a Queen

The Mail On Sunday's Jane Bussman recreated Her Majesty's 1952 trip to Kenya. Ruling monarch was there when her father, George VI, died - making her Queen
The Great British Cake Off! Queen to receive recreation of her 9ft-tall, 500lb cake which contains 700 eggs to mark her 70th wedding anniversary

Queen Elizabeth II is the most commonly depicted person on paper money around the world. But how does each country pick which portrait to use?

Why is the Queen's face so different around the world? - BBC News

70 years of Royal Romance in photos

Queen and Prince Philip wedding anniversary: 70 years of royal romance | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Queen and Prince Philip anniversary: The day Britain celebrated royal wedding 70 years ago | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Clare Balding shares sweet memory of the Queen

Clare Balding shares memory of having breakfast with the Queen

Prince Philip's secret stag-do revealed: The 26-year-old's private party where guests were served foie gras, turtle soup and mixed grill less than a week before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth

Queen Elizabeth II rides in the grounds of Windsor Castle on 18 November

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...eth_ii_rides_in_the_grounds_of_windsor_castle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...y-canter-Queen-enjoys-horse-ride-Windsor.html

Last edited by a moderator:
No Phillip on the plane? But I don't think the first time she left alone via plane from summer holiday.

Prince Philip already left Balmoral. I think he may be at Windsor or with friends.

:previous: Thanks Dman! One of the better articles I've read from that Richard Kay guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom