General News about the Swedish Royal Family, Part 1: April 2015 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premiere of the series of the Royal Jewelery at SVT
Now the Swedish royal family opens the door for the most private. In the series "Kungliga smycken" at SVT, which premieres on April 2, we will hear for the first time Queen Silvia, Princess Christina and Crown Princess Victoria tell about the royal jewelry. And the stories are, to say the least, personal!
We'll see them at Nobel parties, royal weddings and parties. And so at the king's great dinners and invitations on the court. What are we talking about? Of course, the royal jewelery!
The jewelry is extremely beautiful - and priceless. But they also carry incredible stories. Stories about Sweden, about the world, about our relations with other countries, about the women who wore them.
Now SVT brings a happy news to everyone who likes history, royalty and jewelery. Two parts are now being told about the Swedish royal jewels.
“Never before have television viewers been able to study the royal Swedish jewels as closely as they are now. In two unique programs the royal jewelery box is opened, and priceless tiaras, necklaces and earrings are picked out. The jewelry tells about the history of the royal house and Sweden and about the women who carried the jewels throughout history. Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Christina tell in person about the jewelry history as symbols of power and love", writes SVT in a press release.
- The jewelry tells so much, it's a treasure, a cultural heritage. They stand for as much as Sweden has stood for and contacts with different countries, says Queen Silvia.
With Queen Josefina also came the comedy diadem, which both Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria wore at their weddings. And Queen Silvia now says that it was the king's idea that she should wear the Cameo diadem as the bride's crown, writes SVT.
- For me, it was so nice to know that both Princess Birgitta and Princess Desirée had worn the cameos. It was like a good omen to me. After all, it became a wedding diadem, says Queen Silvia.
- They are there to look at and really consider, and they tell so much about a time and in some cases people as well. I think it makes the story come alive, continues Crown Princess Victoria.
"With the help of jewelery experts and historians, Sara Bull and her team dig in archives around the world and find new information about the royal jewelery revealed in the program", SVT writes in the press release.
In addition, the program tells an extremely nice story about Princess Sibylla's diadem. It means a lot to Princess Christina - and to her siblings, the Haga princesses and the King!
- I have many memories about this piece of jewelry because my mother used to wear it, says Princess Christina, she also tells how she and her sisters persuaded Miss Silvia Sommerlath to use just Sibylla's diadem at the gala before the wedding with the king.
- We said; "You must have this on you. Our mother must be able to attend when Carl Gustaf finally gets married!”, Princess Christina says.
Royal Jewelry is a documentary in two parts by Sara Bull and Rikard Collsiöö for Sveriges Television. The first episode will be broadcasted on SVT1 on April 2, 2020 at 20:00. The second episode of Royal Jewelery will be broadcasted on April 9 at 20:00 in SVT1.
Premiär för programmet Kungliga smycken på SVT _ Svensk Dam
Translation

Kungliga smycken _ SVT Play

Last edited:
Premiere of the series of the Royal Jewelery at SVT
Now the Swedish royal family opens the door for the most private. In the series "Kungliga smycken" at SVT, which premieres on April 2, we will hear for the first time Queen Silvia, Princess Christina and Crown Princess Victoria tell about the royal jewelry. And the stories are, to say the least, personal!
We'll see them at Nobel parties, royal weddings and parties. And so at the king's great dinners and invitations on the court. What are we talking about? Of course, the royal jewelery!
The jewelry is extremely beautiful - and priceless. But they also carry incredible stories. Stories about Sweden, about the world, about our relations with other countries, about the women who wore them.
Now SVT brings a happy news to everyone who likes history, royalty and jewelery. Two parts are now being told about the Swedish royal jewels.
“Never before have television viewers been able to study the royal Swedish jewels as closely as they are now. In two unique programs the royal jewelery box is opened, and priceless tiaras, necklaces and earrings are picked out. The jewelry tells about the history of the royal house and Sweden and about the women who carried the jewels throughout history. Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Christina tell in person about the jewelry history as symbols of power and love", writes SVT in a press release.
- The jewelry tells so much, it's a treasure, a cultural heritage. They stand for as much as Sweden has stood for and contacts with different countries, says Queen Silvia.
With Queen Josefina also came the comedy diadem, which both Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria wore at their weddings. And Queen Silvia now says that it was the king's idea that she should wear the Cameo diadem as the bride's crown, writes SVT.
- For me, it was so nice to know that both Princess Birgitta and Princess Desirée had worn the cameos. It was like a good omen to me. After all, it became a wedding diadem, says Queen Silvia.
- They are there to look at and really consider, and they tell so much about a time and in some cases people as well. I think it makes the story come alive, continues Crown Princess Victoria.
"With the help of jewelery experts and historians, Sara Bull and her team dig in archives around the world and find new information about the royal jewelery revealed in the program", SVT writes in the press release.
In addition, the program tells an extremely nice story about Princess Sibylla's diadem. It means a lot to Princess Christina - and to her siblings, the Haga princesses and the King!
- I have many memories about this piece of jewelry because my mother used to wear it, says Princess Christina, she also tells how she and her sisters persuaded Miss Silvia Sommerlath to use just Sibylla's diadem at the gala before the wedding with the king.
- We said; "You must have this on you. Our mother must be able to attend when Carl Gustaf finally gets married!”, Princess Christina says.
Royal Jewelry is a documentary in two parts by Sara Bull and Rikard Collsiöö for Sveriges Television. The first episode will be broadcasted on SVT1 on April 2, 2020 at 20:00. The second episode of Royal Jewelery will be broadcasted on April 9 at 20:00 in SVT1.
Premiär för programmet Kungliga smycken på SVT _ Svensk Dam
Translation

Kungliga smycken _ SVT Play
According to a Facebook post by renowned Norwegian royal historian Trond Norén Isaksen a planned episode about the Bernadotte jewels that ended up with the Norwegian Royal family had to be axed because of their refusal to release any information about the jewellery. The reason given is that they don't comment on their private property.

The Public Health Agency urges all the elderly to avoid meeting their grandchildren, a advice that both the king and the queen follow. The king, 73, must be extra cautious both from his role as Sweden's head of state and purely private, since he belongs to the 70-plus risk group. And this also applies to the Queen, says Margareta Thorgren to Svensk Damtidning.
- Yes that's how it is. Due to the risk of coronary contagion, the royal couple does not meet their grandchildren right now.
So in the near future, the royal couple will just have to spend time with the rest of the family on the phone or via video link, just like many of us are doing right now.
Hovet_ Nu väljer kungen och drottningen att inte träffa barnbarnen_ Svensk Dam

The Public Health Agency urges all the elderly to avoid meeting their grandchildren, a advice that both the king and the queen follow. The king, 73, must be extra cautious both from his role as Sweden's head of state and purely private, since he belongs to the 70-plus risk group. And this also applies to the Queen, says Margareta Thorgren to Svensk Damtidning.
- Yes that's how it is. Due to the risk of coronary contagion, the royal couple does not meet their grandchildren right now.
So in the near future, the royal couple will just have to spend time with the rest of the family on the phone or via video link, just like many of us are doing right now.
Hovet_ Nu väljer kungen och drottningen att inte träffa barnbarnen_ Svensk Dam

Intelligent move. Though sad to be away from their grandkids. Almost all our victims are 65-80.

Albert is proof that rank wont protect you. Five royals and several spouses of politicians have tested positive. All the older monarchs need to be careful. And while younger, Daniel's organ transplant will have his immune system at risk as well.

Margareta Thorgren was interviewed by SVT news on Wednesday 25th March.

King Carl-Gustaf and Queen Silvia continue to live in Stenhammar castle outside Flen in Sörmland. They don't meet their grandchildren, other than through digital channels, and work from home.
- Everyone is healthy and they are not in quarantine, says Margareta Thorgren.
The royal couple now lives on the estate Stenhammar for some time. The king, 73, belongs to the risk group and has special protection as the country's head of state. The queen turned 76 in December, and the couple performs their assignments via telephone or video link.
- The royal couple belongs to the risk group because they are 70-plus. The court follows the authorities' guidelines and to minimize the risk of infection they work from home, says Margareta Thorgren to SVT news.
None of the members of the royal family have been tested for corona.
- Only people with symptoms are being tested in Sweden. We follow those guidelines. The same goes for Princess Estelle's schooling. As long as the school is open, the students go there, says Thorgren.
The king and the crown princess are kept separate. The Crown Princess, who is the heir to the throne, therefore did not participate in the extra Council of State held recently where the king made a speech to the people. They have not been on foreign trips in risk areas lately and therefore do not need to be quarantined.
- They never travel together in normal cases either. They have a very good collaboration on their official assignments.
- The king has an important task to support and see the people in socially important functions who are fighting the corona contagion, says Margereta Thorgren.
Hovet_ ”Kungaparet på Stenhammar men inte i karantän” _ SVT Nyheter

Swedish Press Agency shared a link at its Facebook, they have made puzzles of their photos of royals.
"Are you home from work, or just avoidning Covid-19 and need som entertainment. Here is something for you! Do a royal puzzle..."
SPASweden - Royal Family Sweden

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning writes about SVT's "Kungliga smycken" (The Royal Jewelry), first episode is broadcasted this evening.

- The jewelry tells so much about a time, and in some cases also about people. The jewelry makes the story come alive. This is something that someone has carried. It is very nice, states Crown Princess Victoria in the program.
But, how do you really decide when the Swedish royal family should choose which jewelry to wear at one time?
- Of course, it depends on the occasion, what level of jewelry to use. But it also depends on clothing. What color is the dress? What style does it have? Sometimes we adapt the jewelry to the dress, but sometimes it is the other way around: we adapt the dress to the jewelry, says Queen Silvia.
- We talk about it, we discuss. We try not to have the same color all three, or all four. For the most part, they ask me what I will wear and I hear with them what to wear. It's a family conversation to tune in, so it will be beautiful.
However, the Queen acknowledges that there are some favorite jewelry.
- Of course, everyone has their loved ones, whom they want to wear, she says.
And the Queen's favorite?
- The sapphire diadem. It's easy to carry. It is beautiful. That's wonderful!
Victoria, on the other hand, seems extremely fond of the Karl Johan diadem (six button tiara).
Sara Bull, the program's hostess asks Crown Princess Victoria about how committed the King is to the whole thing!
- He has seen them (jewelery) all his life. On his sisters and his mother. He is extremely knowledgeable and knows which one suits what occasion. "This is suitable then" and "wait with this". Because there is a tradition, who wears what - and when. There are jewelry that is for mom, not for me. These are some of the bigger, more queen-like ones. I will not wear them today.
Så väljer kungligheterna vilka smycken de ska bära _ Svensk Dam

Although the first episode will be shown at SVT1 this evening, it has been put to SVT Play last night, so you can watch it already now:
Kungliga smycken - Avsnitt 1 _ SVT Play

Göran Alm, who is interviewed at the program, died on 23rd January. He was the former director of the Bernadotte Library and the court's expert on royal jewelery.

Last edited:
Royal jewellery Sweden

Watching now; many thanks. English subtitles - hooray!

Margareta Thorgren told about the royal family's plans for Easter to Svensk Damtidning:
- The king and the queen stay at Stenhammar and the Crown Princess couple will remain at Haga on Easter.
- It is important to follow the recommendations of the Public Health Agency.
Det ska kungafamiljen göra i påsk. _ Svensk Dam

In Svensk Damtidning about the second episode of Kungliga smycken:
Princess Madeleine got married in the beautiful 18th-century Vasa earrings, a pair of earrings that Victoria doesn't even dare to wear! Now she tells you why!
The Vasa earrings from the 18th century are some of the absolute oldest royal Swedish jewellery. And they are only used on very special occasions. This is now stated in the SVT series The Royal Jewellery.
The story behind the Vasa earrings
The earrings, the Vasa earrings, are a pair of brilliant earrings that have the shape of a drop shaped wreath with a pendant shaped like a globe with a brilliant bracket. They probably come from Gustav IV Adolf's wife Fredrika of Baden. When the couple were banished in 1809, they took with them some jewelry that was then inherited to elder son Gustaf and later to his daughter Carola who was married to King Albert of Saxony. When Victoria of Baden married Gustav V in 1881, she received the earrings as a wedding gift from Queen Carola.
- It is a very exciting story (behind the Vasa earrings). They symbolize the Vasa dynasty, the queen says.
- It is such a fantastic craft that you have even been able to do it. That you have been able to shape them as small globes - at that time. It is infinitely long ago. And imagine that they have got along over the years, says Crown Princess Victoria.
Princess Madeleine has used the Vasa earrings several times, including at her own and Chris O'Neill's wedding in 2013. And two years later, in 2015, she wore them when Prince Carl Philip married Sofia Hellqvist.
Big sister Victoria, however, has never had them. The reason? She simply doesn't dare. They are too valuable.
- I dare not use them, I don't, she states in Royal jewellery.
Historien bakom Vasaörhängena – Madeleines favoriter _ Svensk Dam

Kungliga smycken - Avsnitt 2 _ SVT Play

In Svensk Damtidning about the second episode of Kungliga smycken:
Princess Madeleine has used the Vasa earrings several times, including at her own and Chris O'Neill's wedding in 2013. And two years later, in 2015, she wore them when Prince Carl Philip married Sofia Hellqvist.
Big sister Victoria, however, has never had them. The reason? She simply doesn't dare. They are too valuable.
- I dare not use them, I don't, she states in Royal jewellery.
Historien bakom Vasaörhängena – Madeleines favoriter _ Svensk Dam

Kungliga smycken - Avsnitt 2 _ SVT Play

Love these little snippets of information. Victoria clearly has a great appreciation of the history that accompanies these jewels, and the responsibility their usage brings.

I enjoyed seeing the footage of the documentary and the lovely shots of the jewels. Although I didn’t understand what they said, thanks for providing the lovely anecdote on the Vasa earrings and victoria being afraid to use them. They are a lovely pair and I’m glad Madeleine has used them a few times

Some screenshots from the program
First episode
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Second episode

I enjoyed seeing the footage of the documentary and the lovely shots of the jewels. Although I didn’t understand what they said, thanks for providing the lovely anecdote on the Vasa earrings and victoria being afraid to use them. They are a lovely pair and I’m glad Madeleine has used them a few times
If you watch through Google chrome and turn on the translate option you should be able to get a decent translation of the programme

It worked for me, the occasional odd word but pretty easy to follow

The royal family wishes Happy Easter with a nice video! Estelle has made an Easter Card to her grandparents. We see also Madeleine and her family's dog.

The royal family follows the recommendations and does not celebrate a joint Easter. Through the video link, however, the royal family has wished for Happy Easter to each other.
Easter celebrations look different in many places this year. There are many who are not given the opportunity to meet loved ones.
The royal family follows the recommendations and does not celebrate Easter together. However, with technical aids, it is possible to meet digitally to wish Happy Easter, which the Royal Family did earlier in the Easter week.
Here is a short excerpt from the Royal Family's digital Easter celebration.
Happy Easter!
Digitalt påskfirande - Sveriges Kungahus
Court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-1QTxNgZnX/

We are many who celebrate Easter without our loved ones. Also the royal family.
Now the Royal House has posted a video where the family wishes each other happy Easter in a video call.
- We will miss you at Easter, says the Crown Princess.
The video where the four families wish each other happy Easter at a distance was posted this morning. Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel, Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar sit on a bench in the sun at Haga Palace in Solna and the family shouts "Happy Easter" to Grandma Silvia and Grandpa Carl XVI Gustaf.
For a few weeks now, the royal couple have been self-isolating at the castle in Stenhammar outside Flen.
- I'm very happy to see you! How nice, we should to do this more often, says Queen Silvia.
- When we are not able to meet, we have to do it this way anyway, the King tells his children and grandchildren.
The Crown Princess puts words to it that many of us probably know this for many unusual Easter.
- We will miss you at Easter.
Estelle shows an Easter card she made to her grandparents.
- I made an Easter card for you grandma and grandpa, it shows a llama. It says Happy Easter, warm greetings Estelle, she says.
Also Princess Madeleine, husband Christopher O'Neill and children Princess Leonore, Prince Nicolas and Princess Adrienne are on the link from the Florida house.
- We are all well and struggling, says Princess Madeleine.
Prince Carl-Philip, Princess Sofia and Prince Alexander and Prince Gabriel greet Happy Easter from a sunny Villa Solbacken.
Kungahusets digitala hälsning_ Vi kommer att sakna er i påsk _ Aftonbladet

Se Madeleines nya hund i ny charmig film på kungafamiljen! _ Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Swedish Royals Spend Easter Together in Heartwarming Family Video Call
Although their Easter celebrations may look different this year, the Swedish royal family still found a way to celebrate together
Although the Swedish royal family is taking precautions amid the coronavirus pandemic, they’re still spending time together for Easter!
Over the weekend, the official Instagram account for the royal family posted an adorable video that showed the whole family catching up over video chat.
Swedish Royals Spend Easter Together Thanks to Family Video Call _ PEOPLE.com

Members of the Swedish royal family have set an example by staying in touch digitally over the Easter weekend. On Saturday morning, a one minute video was shared to the royal family's official Instagram, and in it, twelve members of the family could be seen catching up over a sweet video call. On the call was Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and their children, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Sofia of Sweden, their kids, plus Princess Madeleine, her husband Chris O'Neill and their children - who are currently in Florida.
Swedish royals catch up over Easter in heartwarming video call – watch _ HELLO!

La joyeuse vidéo de la famille royale de Suède pour Pâques

Royals_ Schweden zeigen sich im Video - auch Madeleine ist dabei! _ GALA.de

Some screenshots from the video

Last edited:
It was such a small thing to share with Sweden and the world yet that feeling of Easter joy with the warmth of the families as well as the underlying melancholy that this was a different time showed is well came through.

It is nice to know that the older Royals have sequestered themselves as have so many parents and grandparents. In this they are just like everyone else in Sweden.

Svensk Damtidning about the royal family's Easter greeting video

The conversation had a clear moderator. It was the Crown Princess who led the conversation and spread he word. A remarkable detail, says Ellen Myrgård Lindén. Ellen is a reporter at the Svensk Damtidning and has a good look for the interaction in the Swedish royal family.
“A really clear sign”
She could see a clear trend in the Easter clip.
- On paper, the king is still the head of the family. He is the front figure of the Swedish monarchy. Still, Victoria is the leader of the conversation, spreading the word, taking the baton, quite simply. It is a very clear sign that Victoria feels comfortable in a leadership role, and that the King, for his part, is comfortable with passing the command every now and then over to his daughter. He is willing to take a step aside and let her be a front figure, says Ellen.
Throughout the corona crisis it has been noted that Victoria is acting as head of state - although she does not officially hold the title yet.
- She has really been there for the Swedish people. And she is happy with the responsibility, you can see that clearly, says Ellen.
Kronprinsessan Victoria skickar dolt budskap _ Svensk Dam

The royal court has published it's Annual Report 2019 on its website.
The Marshal of the Realm Fredrik Wersäll writes at foreword his among other things:
H.M. The King and H.R.H. The Crown Princess are, together with H.M. The Queen and H.R.H. Prince Daniel, Sweden's leading representatives both within the country and vis-à-vis other states. Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia as well as Princess Madeleine also perform official assignments to the extent that H.M. The King decides.
2019 was another year of great interest for the royal participation with an increased number of inquiries from different parts of Sweden. H.M. The King and the royal family attended in 967 different events during the year to pay attention and inform themselves about events that are important to Sweden and social issues.

About the work of the Royal Family and Royal Court
The Report tells among other things:
In 2019, a total of 1 878 invitations and requests for royal participation were received. All requests are prepared and answered. The number of official commitments for the King and the royal family increased by 7.4 per cent to 967 compared to the previous year.
Every year, the King and the royal family carry out a large number of self-initiated visits to inform themselves about current social issues and pay attention to important efforts in society. The king visited the Swedish soldiers participating in UN and EU efforts in Mali and the Crown Princess had several defense-related program points. Several program points included the King's commitment to natural, environmental and business issues. The king made, among other things follow-up visits to the fire-affected forest areas in Hälsingland, inaugurating a new pulp mill in Timrå, visited Luleå University of Technology and companies in Piteå to get information on new high-tech initiatives that may eventually reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
The royal couple received an incoming state visit from the Republic of Korea with a large business delegation, as well as conducted state visits to Ireland and India. Representatives from the government and business delegations attended the state visits. The royal couple initiated a visit to the EU institutions in Brussels. The king and the Crown Princess attended the Japanese emperor's enthronement ceremony in Tokyo. The royal couple participated in several anniversary celebrations, including the opening of the Royal Armoury after renovation and Malmö Opera's 75th anniversary.
The Queen's program activities included, among other things issues related to children's rights and drug prevention. The Queen participated in a large number of program days and meetings organized by the World Childhood Foundation, Mentor and Care About The Children in Sweden but also in Germany, the USA, Lebanon and the Vatican, among others. Within the framework of these commitments the Queen also conducted a number of visits, among other things at the company Netclean Technologies in Gothenburg, which works to stop child sexual abuse. The Queen has a strong commitment to elderly care and dementia. The Queen participated in the Dementia Forum X which was organized at the Royal Palace.
The Crown Princess couple made official visits to Vietnam and Bosnia and Herzegovina. In addition, the Crown Princess couple visited Denmark with a larger business delegation after an invitation from the Danish Crown Prince Couple. The Crown Princess couple conducted several self-initiated visits and meetings focusing on efforts made by police, customs and social authorities to combat crime and social vulnerability. The Crown Princess's program included, among other things, special emphasis on issues relating to the Arctic through participation in two international conferences, but also around sustainable seas. The Crown Princess finished her province hikes and has thus visited all provinces. The Crown Princess attended the memorial ceremony for Estonia's victims and at the Holocaust's International Memorial Day.
Prince Daniel's program is concentrated around children's and young people's health, not least through the Crown Princess couple's initiative Generation Pep, which focuses on children's right to a active and healthy life. Prince Daniel also focuses on issues related to entrepreneurship, including through Prince Daniel's Fellowship in collaboration with Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences. Travels focused on entrepreneurship and business were made to Singapore and India.
Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are through their foundation engaged in issues related to cyber-bullying and dyslexia. The foundation works to be a unifying force to reduce young people's vulnerability on the internet and counteract cyberbullying. Prince couple participated in the release of the report #viberättar, en report on net hate, its consequences and solutions. Princess Sofia's program is mainly aimed at social entrepreneurship and several points covered issues related to health care and healthcare personnel. The princess is the honorary chair of Sophiahemmet.
In June, Princess Madeleine published a book on the theme of children's rights and participated in the Gothenburg Book Fair in September. She conducted a number of official program points around child rights issues, including the World Childhood Foundation's meetings. Princess Madeleine attended the My Big Day Foundation's business.
The official representation included receptions and mealtimes with wide representation from across the community where the Royal Palace is used as a meeting place for, among other things, science, business and culture. The traditional supper organized to Sweden's newly elected members of parliament, an official dinner and a Sweden dinner with invited guests from each county were organized. A lunch was organized in conjunction with the Nordic Council meeting in Stockholm during the Swedish Presidency. The royal couple invited a total of a little over 2 600 guests. The Crown Princess couple performed official representation with almost 140 invited guests.
The information department's job is to tell about the work and mission of the royal family, the activities of the Royal Court and the royal cultural heritage. In order to meet the changing needs and technical requirements in 2020 starts the work on a new and updated version of the Royal Court website.
Verksamhetsberättelsen 2019

King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia and princess Birgitta visited yesterday Strömsholm Palace.

The king, queen and princess Birgitta made an excursion to Strömsholm Palace - in the king's brand new BMW.
The Public Health Agency's recommendation is that 70-plus people should stay at home as much as possible.
- They probably wanted an excursion in isolation, just like me, says Ann-Sofie Klint, who got a look at the royal couple.
Ann-Sofie Klint was out with the family at Strömsholm Palace outside Västerås on Saturday afternoon.
They wanted to look at the fish aspen currently playing in the water around the Palace.
- We would look at aspen, this fish, they are big and cool, so we went there. When we stand there and look down into the water, a nice car came up in front of the Palace, and we said that you can't drive there? Then I joked that it might be the king? And so it was.
Queen Silvia and Princess Birgitta also got out of the car - a brand new BMW M8 Competition.
The site Bytbil has previously reported that the king chose a specially ordered paint on the car - but not what color.
The king obviously chose a turquoise blue.
- My son then said it was the king's new car. It was cool, you are not so royalistic, but you are interested anyway. They probably wanted an excursion in isolation, just like I did, says Ann-Sofie Klint, who says that she had distance to both the royal couple and the children during the trip to Strömsholm.
For several weeks, the king and queen have not been seen outside Stenhammar Castle where they are staying during the corona pandemic.
From Stenhammar Castle outside Flen to Strömsholm Palace outside Västerås, it is about 70 km, and an hour's drive. According to the director of the press department Margareta Thorgren, King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia are careful with the recommendations of the Public Health Agency.
- The royal couple has been at Stenhammar for a number of weeks as a result of the corona crisis. The royal couple follows the recommendations of the Public Health Agency. And making excursions is something that the royal couple has the opportunity to do, without breaking any restrictions for that reason.
She does not want to comment more on the trip to Strömsholm.
- Private excursions are not what the court comments on, but the royal couple are very careful to follow the recommendations of the Public Health Agency, says Margareta Thorgren.
Kungens nya bil – här fångas han på bild under utflykten

The Royal Palaces including Strömsholm Palace are temporarily closed due to the corona pandemic.

Last edited:
The woman who gave the photos of the king, queen and princess Birgitta at Strömsholm Palace to Expressen, has spoken also with Svensk Damtidning.

Ann-Sofie and her family waved - and took the opportunity to take some pictures.
- They seemed happy and the queen waved back to us. The King probably enjoyed the car ride with his new cool car. The three went straight into the Palace with a woman waiting for the stairs and went down and met them when they arrived. They stayed in the Palace for a couple of hours, says Ann-Sofie.
The royal couple had with them Princess Birgitta, who lives at Stenhammar castle at the moment, and their beloved dog Brandie.
The royals provoked a cautious stir among the other visitors to Strömsholm Palace.
- People came from all directions. They wanted to come and watch, says Ann-Sofie.
About Birgitta
- We first saw a woman who was with the King and Silvia, and then we didn't recognize her. But then we saw, it was Princess Birgitta, Ann-Sofie says.
According to Ann-Sofie, Birgitta looked to be in good spirits.
- She went up the stairs. I also noticed that she was wearing a pair of big sunglasses. Then she and the royal couple were inside the castle for a couple of hours, says Ann-Sofie.
Prinsessan Birgitta – så ser hon ut nu _ Svensk Dam
Coronavirus_ Silvia lämnar sin karantän _ Svensk Dam

Gunilla von Platen is one of the most well-known and successful female entrepreneurs in Sweden. She is one of the inspirers at Prince Daniel's Fellowship Entrepreneurial Programme. She has been a member of the business delegation at the royal visits, for instance at the king and queen's state visit to India last year, and at Victoria and Daniel's visit to Vietnam.

Gunilla has given an interview to Svensk Damtidning and in it she spoke also about the members of the royal family:
- The first time I met them was obviously nervous, but now that we have met for a number of years I really see how amazing they are. We talk about parenting and entrepreneurship, just like you and I do now. They are absolutely trained, but they are extremely easy and pleasant to keep up with. The Queen is lovely, she takes time for everyone and in the evenings we all sit in the bar at the hotel together and talk. Then we are just like any Swedes who are abroad. Both the King and Queen are very nice and Victoria, she is truly incredible. What a job they do together, she and Daniel, and then they are so cute with each other. They really take care of each other in the nicest way you can imagine. I am very impressed with Daniel's job of highlighting Sweden and entrepreneurship. It is important to encourage young people and with that we work a lot with, Daniel and I.'

Gunilla von Platen with queen Silvia
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b07bf5a1860adb462dc45c3e9fd58c42&oe=5EC88170
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v...F&ig_cache_key=MjA0NDQ1MDY4MTA5NjEzMzgxNA==.2
With Victoria
https://veckomagasinet.com/wp-conte...BB2-668A-4239-9ECF-C68D0F6DFE7F-960x1051.jpeg
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v...F&ig_cache_key=MjA0MDExMTU3MzY2NTg3MzQzNQ==.2
With Daniel
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v...0&ig_cache_key=MjE0MTUxMzE5MjUyOTU2MDM4OA==.2
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v...5&ig_cache_key=MjA0NzAzOTU4MTQzMzkxMjI5Ng==.2
https://www.xzakt.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/prins-daniel-hos-xzakt-1.png
https://www.sodertalje.se/contentas...f6bb64b/rundabordssamtal2.jpg?preset=width660
With Sofia
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v...1&ig_cache_key=MjA0MzgxMjI4NDUyNDE2NDM2Ng==.2

Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine live two quite different lives, even though they are both royalty. Victoria is Sweden's future regent, a conscientious faithful servant with the calendar bursting with official assignments. Madeleine chose to go his own way quite early, moved to Florida with husband Chris O'Neill and moves mainly outside of royal contexts.
But have you considered that they also speak quite differently? Linguist Lars Melin has.
When Lars wrote the book “Fint språk” (published 2007) with his son Martin, he wanted to consider how the Swedish upper class speaks. Among others, he started with Victoria and Madeleine.
- It was obvious that the young ladies speak so incredibly different, says Lars.
Lars did research and discovered that the difference was not due to chance. King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia had hired actress Margaretha Krook from the Royal Dramatic Theatre to train Victoria in language management. Madeleine was not given the same opportunity.
- Victoria has thus been schooled for her language. She would speak what one might describe as "mainstream Swedish". It was thought that the Swedes in common were more comfortable with it, says Lars.
Instead, Madeleine speaks more of a "brat-svenska" (snobbish Swedish), says Lars.
- She speaks like people at Stureplan. What you notice most are the open vowels. That is why you have called her "Madelääään". It is an easy nasal treatment as well. A blend of phonetics and attitude, he says.
- It's so conscious. The other should belong in her upper-class environment. The second is a commodity for the entire Swedish people.
How does the king speak?
- I usually say that he is the last Stockholmer. He has refined the ekensnack (Stockholmian way to speak). When he was growing up, it was like the tough guys talking on Kniv-Söder. He acquired an attitude, purely linguistic.
So the king is talking like it was cool to talk in the 60s and 70s?
- Yes, you could say that.
Silvias val för Victoria – Madeleine utanför _ Svensk Dam

Victoria has told that actress Margaretha Krook trained her before her first public speech at her 18th birthday. She told at her 40th birthday interview that she was of course nervous and met Margaretha to learn technique about how to speak, and how to be calm in a situation like that. Krook told her to take that moment and remember to breathe. Krook said that don't forget to breathe, or you will faint. Victoria said that it felt great to do that with Margaretha Krook.

Last edited:
So they paid to have Victoria sound less upper class :ermm:

Its like reverse Pygmalion. I get training someone to be a confident public speaker, but to train them to have a specific accent??

I can only imagine if someone suggested William take lessons so he sounded less Etonian educated. There is no hiding royals come from a posher circle and different schools then the average person on the street.

So they paid to have Victoria sound less upper class :ermm:

Its like reverse Pygmalion. I get training someone to be a confident public speaker, but to train them to have a specific accent??

I can only imagine if someone suggested William take lessons so he sounded less Etonian educated. There is no hiding royals come from a posher circle and different schools then the average person on the street.

It is no surprise that they are trained to sound less posh than they might. I would not be surpised if that was not the case with William as well; to me he sounds like posh than Catherine, Charles or Camilla.

Crown Princess Victoria speaks without any accent at all except for the tiniest flavour of the modern Stockholm dialect. The iconic Margareta Krook obviously schooled her in speaking in the neutral Swedish we hear in theaters and on TV and she did a great job doing so.
Given that it's a long time since Victoria turned 18 and Margareta died not long after that I wonder if Victoria has continued taking lessons in diction and giving speeches. People who scoff at her father's speeches seem to forget that dyslexia can affect your speaking abilities quite a lot and I'm of the opinion that the disability, and the way it was left untreated in the King's youth, is the cause of his reluctant and slow way of speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom