General News about the Sussex Family, Part Two: April-August 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you referring to Prince Michael of Kent?
I know people once called him the Rent-A-Royal.

That was Princess Michael.....(who said someting on the lines that she would go anywhere for a free lunch)...

I seriously doubt that any reputable company would offer them a seat on their board. Like you said, they are a Prince and a former actress, nothing to do with the business world. Also, like it or not, they are controversial due to the way they choose to exit their royal duties. This can have a negative impact on any company's marketability.

If they join the board of a US company, no one will care how they left the family. Americans don’t care much about the antiquated traditions of a foreign monarchy. There is a sizable contingent of Americans who feel Meghan got a raw deal and applaud her and Harry leaving when they did.

True, but the only reason anyone would want to add them to their board is because of their royal status, to attract a customer base that is aware of and interested in Royals. That base knows and cares

They may join boards and bring their many years of high-profile charity work.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they join the board of a US company, no one will care how they left the family. Americans don’t care much about the antiquated traditions of a foreign monarchy. There is a sizable contingent of Americans who feel Meghan got a raw deal and applaud her and Harry leaving when they did.

But why would they be invited? They have no knowledge of the business world... Im not even sure if they could bring any connections to the table, in the US.

But why would they be invited? They have no knowledge of the business world... Im not even sure if they could bring any connections to the table, in the US.

They would be invited due to their notoriety and many years of work on charitable enterprises.

Also, Meghan has plenty of experience in the business world.

She's been an independent woman of means for quite a while before setting eyes on Harry. I would also say that having a bachelor's degree from Northwestern's School of Communication with a double major in theater and international studies would be appreciated by companies that do business on an international level. Being able to communicate on various levels isn't something that comes naturally to most people.

Meghan has experience of making the money and then knowing how to use the money for philanthropic and charitable goals that meant something to her. The idea that she never stepped into any business dealings or owes her charitable work to the time she's been with Harry is misleading. In fact, it was the desire to "give back" that, I believe, was a crucial point in establishing Harry and Meghan's relationship on a solid foundation.

As I write this, I'm remembering Harry on a stage in Sydney practicing his opening speech for the Invictus Games. There was one person there. His coach and wife. :D

Also, Meghan has plenty of experience in the business world.

I thought she was a moderately successful actress....

She's been an independent woman of means for quite a while before setting eyes on Harry. I would also say that having a bachelor's degree from Northwestern's School of Communication with a double major in theater and international studies would be appreciated by companies that do business on an international level. Being able to communicate on various levels isn't something that comes naturally to most people.

Meghan has experience of making the money and then knowing how to use the money for philanthropic and charitable goals that meant something to her. The idea that she never stepped into any business dealings or owes her charitable work to the time she's been with Harry is misleading. In fact, it was the desire to "give back" that, I believe, was a crucial point in establishing Harry and Meghan's relationship on a solid foundation.

As I write this, I'm remembering Harry on a stage in Sydney practicing his opening speech for the Invictus Games. There was one person there. His coach and wife. :D
Im sure America is full of MBAs who work their way up in businesses and may get invited onto boards of corporatations.. but what Meghan or Harry could bring is pretty hard to work out.

Not sure if Harry or Meghan will be joining any boards but them joining one associated to something their passionate about wouldn’t be that shocking.

Most boards are made up a collection of people with various backgrounds. The aim is to help whatever organization it is grow and achieve whatever their goal is. And yes that tends to include high profile individuals with common goals who can open other doors.

But we again just grasping at straws. No one has a clue what they will do.

They may join boards and bring their many years of high-profile charity work.

the issue is that charities have restrained amounts of money and these two probably won't come cheap. it is to see how many charities opt to 'employ them' to be in the board, as the investment may not result in the appropriate return.

While there will be novelty value to their speech's at first, everyone needs to remember one thing: The need to bring in several millions of dollars to sustain their lifestyle. They will have a big mortgage and a massive security bill to pay for in addition to other normal living expenses. I just don't see anyone offering them the kind of money that the Clinton's and Obama's make (and even they do not make a living just on giving speeches)

Charles does not have the kind of money to fund them forever. They cannot live rent free forever either. At some point (and soon) they will need to find some very lucrative sources of income and most of these sources will come with some level of controversy.

The problem is that they have very little to offer. Hollywood is a dog eat dog world and as soon as one of their endeavors does not bring in the revenue expected, the phone calls will dry up. The have nothing to offer as far as making introductions and connections go.

Basically, I don't see Harry and Meghan doing much else than focusing on their not for profit foundation, Archewell Global Foundation. Whenever it is finally launched, it will basically take up all of their time yet also provide an income.

Here are some inputs that shows just how this is possible.

1. Non profit doesn't mean no income, it just means no reported profits. ... They generate millions in revenue, pay their people handsomely, then donate the rest to charities and other NPOs in order to still qualify as a non-profit organization. If you do that, even to a small degree, you'll have money of your own to invest.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-become-wealthy-off-a-non-profit-organization

2. As far as being "financially independent", Harry and Meghan may only rely on what Archewell brings in for them. They *can* support themselves via their not for profit foundation.

"Both state law (which governs the nonprofit incorporation) and the IRS (which regulates the tax-exempt status1 ) allow a nonprofit to pay reasonable salaries to officers, employees, or agents for services rendered to further the nonprofit corporation's tax-exempt purposes. Indeed, most nonprofits have paid staff"

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/can-n...#:~:text=Yes.,most nonprofits have paid staff.

I sincerely believe that their foundation, once it is launched, is going to be the main focus of the couple going into the future and any speaking engagements they schedule through the Harry Walker Agency. They most likely are using the agency to help them build a strong basis for Archewell. The agency itself bills itself as:

"The Harry Walker Agency and our speakers are ready to help you host a branded, secure, proprietary, live event with moderated Q&A, VIP meet-and-greets, and high production value. Give us a call to walk through your options to keep your group connected – now more than ever."

This tells me that its not a given that Harry and Meghan are putting themselves up for sale as guest speakers somewhere but most likely going to use the agency to promote Archewell and succeed in whatever events or incentives that Archewell is going to support. It may be *them* that will be looking for the right guest speakers. ?

This is just how I see that it may go into the future. We actually know *nothing* of what their plans really are, what they hope to accomplish or even their own definition of "financially independent" when it comes down to brass tacks.

Just thought I'd throw all this into the mix of suppositions and rumors and whatever else our brains come up with here. ;)

Basically, I don't see Harry and Meghan doing much else than focusing on their not for profit foundation, Archewell Global Foundation. Whenever it is finally launched, it will basically take up all of their time yet also provide an income.

Here are some inputs that shows just how this is possible.

1. Non profit doesn't mean no income, it just means no reported profits. ... They generate millions in revenue, pay their people handsomely, then donate the rest to charities and other NPOs in order to still qualify as a non-profit organization. If you do that, even to a small degree, you'll have money of your own to invest.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-become-wealthy-off-a-non-profit-organization

2. As far as being "financially independent", Harry and Meghan may only rely on what Archewell brings in for them. They *can* support themselves via their not for profit foundation.

"Both state law (which governs the nonprofit incorporation) and the IRS (which regulates the tax-exempt status1 ) allow a nonprofit to pay reasonable salaries to officers, employees, or agents for services rendered to further the nonprofit corporation's tax-exempt purposes. Indeed, most nonprofits have paid staff"

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/can-n...#:~:text=Yes.,most nonprofits have paid staff.

I sincerely believe that their foundation, once it is launched, is going to be the main focus of the couple going into the future and any speaking engagements they schedule through the Harry Walker Agency. They most likely are using the agency to help them build a strong basis for Archewell. The agency itself bills itself as:

"The Harry Walker Agency and our speakers are ready to help you host a branded, secure, proprietary, live event with moderated Q&A, VIP meet-and-greets, and high production value. Give us a call to walk through your options to keep your group connected – now more than ever."

This tells me that its not a given that Harry and Meghan are putting themselves up for sale as guest speakers somewhere but most likely going to use the agency to promote Archewell and succeed in whatever events or incentives that Archewell is going to support. It may be *them* that will be looking for the right guest speakers. ?

This is just how I see that it may go into the future. We actually know *nothing* of what their plans really are, what they hope to accomplish or even their own definition of "financially independent" when it comes down to brass tacks.

Just thought I'd throw all this into the mix of suppositions and rumors and whatever else our brains come up with here. ;)

They need over $10 million/year to sustain themselves. Given their relationship with the media, their foundation (and it's donors) are going to be under a microscope of scrutiny. There will be all sorts of leaks etc. to the media on the foundation's inner workings. I doubt their "non-profit" is going to be able to sustain their lifestyle-esp. if it wants to make any meaningful contribution to any cause of charity. Archwell is not going to be the Gates foundation in terms of funds-ever.

They need over $10 million/year to sustain themselves. Given their relationship with the media, their foundation (and it's donors) are going to be under a microscope of scrutiny. There will be all sorts of leaks etc. to the media on the foundation's inner workings. I doubt their "non-profit" is going to be able to sustain their lifestyle-esp. if it wants to make any meaningful contribution to any cause of charity. Archwell is not going to be the Gates foundation in terms of funds-ever.

Honest question here. How do you know just how much money they need to sustain themselves? Is there a record of expenditures anywhere that points to this? How do we know what they have in the bank or what they need in the bank? How'd you come up with this 10 million figure? There a credible source its derived from or are you just pulling numbers out of a hat like a rabbit?

We have absolutely no clue whatsoever what the Sussex bank accounts look like nor do we have any kind of an idea of how much they spend on *anything* at all. Do we really know for certain what their "lifestyle" entails? All we really know of their lifestyle together is what we've seen in the past three years and I really don't remember seeing anything indicating exorbitant amounts of money being spent that is out of the norm for a royal couple.

The bottom line here is that no one has a clue what their financial status is and to be honest, its really none of our business in the first place. :D

Archwell is not going to be the Gates foundation in terms of funds-ever.

We don't know that. Who is to say that Archewell and the Obamas foundation won't join hands on certain issues? Harry and the Obamas have joined together for things before. ;)

Last edited:
Honest question here. How do you know just how much money they need to sustain themselves? Is there a record of expenditures anywhere that points to this? How do we know what they have in the bank or what they need in the bank? How'd you come up with this 10 million figure? There a credible source its derived from or are you just pulling numbers out of a hat like a rabbit?

We have absolutely no clue whatsoever what the Sussex bank accounts look like nor do we have any kind of an idea of how much they spend on *anything* at all. Do we really know for certain what their "lifestyle" entails? All we really know of their lifestyle together is what we've seen in the past three years and I really don't remember seeing anything indicating exorbitant amounts of money being spent that is out of the norm for a royal couple.

The bottom line here is that no one has a clue what their financial status is and to be honest, its really none of our business in the first place. :D

We don't know that. Who is to say that Archewell and the Obamas foundation won't join hands on certain issues? Harry and the Obamas have joined together for things before. ;)

Their lifestyle over the last few years did not involve paying for a home or their own security. Also they have to pay rent on Frogmore Cottage. These are the big ticket expenses, that they did not have to worry about. And yet, per Duchy of Cornwall published accounts, they needed several million pounds per year to sustain themselves.

Also, I seriously doubt that any serious foundation is going to collaborate with a non-profit where the founders may need to use the non-profit to fund their lifestyles

Also, I seriously doubt that any serious foundation is going to collaborate with a non-profit where the founders may need to use the non-profit to fund their lifestyles

In response to this, I think what hits the nail on the head is actually looking into just how Bill and Melinda Gates really come out ahead with their own foundation. This article is quite the eye opener if you care to read it.

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/bill-gates-foundation-philanthropy/

Basically, what helps the Sussexes with having Archewell as a not for profit foundation is that there are many loopholes that abound which help them out financially. All legal and above board. :D

. And yet, per Duchy of Cornwall published accounts, they needed several million pounds per year to sustain themselves.

Not to just sustain themselves. The funding from the Duchy of Cornwall was what paid for their working wardrobes, their trajsportation, their office staff salaries their lodging and necessities on tours and anything connected to the work they did as senior full time working royals. That money didn't just go into Harry and Meghan's pockets to spend how they wanted to. The bills were sent to Charles who paid them from his Duchy of Cornwall income. ;)

Last edited:
I'm a few days late to this conversation, but oh well. There’s a big difference between Meghan and Trump/Melania that no one’s mentioned: Neither Melania nor her husband are being bankrolled by foreign monarchs. I would imagine most countries have rules about their politicians accepting huge amounts of cash from foreign leaders, and the US is no exception. If Donald Trump was sending seven-figure personal checks to BoJo for BoJo’s personal use, surely someone on your side of the pond would see the problem with that, right? I understand the monarch is the nominal rather than functional head of state, but the conflict of interest is still the same: Charles will naturally want what’s best for the UK, which isn’t necessarily what’s best for the US. If Meghan is dependent on Charles’s continued generosity, she can’t just tell him to go pound sand if he asks her to vote a certain way on a trade bill. I don’t think Charles would ever do that, but that situation is a big problem waiting to happen, and that’s why there are rules about politicians and their spouses accepting those kinds of gifts.

As for the speechmaking, they seem to think that because they were successful at raising awareness of their pet issues for charity, people will happily pay them huge amounts to impart their personal expertise on those subjects. The problem is that neither has much expertise to impart. If the racial equity discussions are US-centric and aimed at an American audience, Harry has nothing to contribute. Most of America’s problems stem from policies that were and are unique to the US, that someone who’s lived here for just a few months wouldn’t have any experience with, or any reason to know about. That’s not a criticism of Harry - if I’d lived in the UK for three months, I might develop some opinions about British social problems during that time, but I certainly wouldn’t expect anyone to pay for the privilege of hearing them.

Meghan is better - she at least knows something about the subject - but the only reason anyone knows her name is because she married a famous and wealthy man. For her to hold herself out as an expert on empowering women when she’s done nothing noteworthy in her own right is absurd. I’d much rather hear from a woman who started as a secretary and worked her way up to CEO of a major corporation, or who was homeless after leaving an abusive marriage but is now a successful professional. Meghan’s done some good charity work for women’s empowerment, but I’d rather hear from some of the women who benefited from those programs. They’d probably put those big speaking fees to much better use. Maybe I’m wrong and donating the fees to charity was their plan all along, but I’m not holding my breath on that.

Their plan seems to be to get paid for being famous, which will require them to stay famous. That, in turn, will require tradeoffs like courting media attention that Harry, at least, has made clear he doesn’t want. (I know Meghan’s said that, too, but I think Harry actually means it.) It’s too bad, really - if he’d done this at a younger age while still single, he’d probably have been perfectly happy with a low-key lifestyle as a plumber or something. That’s not a realistic option for him now. This can't have been what he had in mind when he made the decision to leave.

I'm a few days late to this conversation, but oh well. There’s a big difference between Meghan and Trump/Melania that no one’s mentioned: Neither Melania nor her husband are being bankrolled by foreign monarchs. I would imagine most countries have rules about their politicians accepting huge amounts of cash from foreign leaders, and the US is no exception. If Donald Trump was sending seven-figure personal checks to BoJo for BoJo’s personal use, surely someone on your side of the pond would see the problem with that, right? I understand the monarch is the nominal rather than functional head of state, but the conflict of interest is still the same: Charles will naturally want what’s best for the UK, which isn’t necessarily what’s best for the US. If Meghan is dependent on Charles’s continued generosity, she can’t just tell him to go pound sand if he asks her to vote a certain way on a trade bill. I don’t think Charles would ever do that, but that situation is a big problem waiting to happen, and that’s why there are rules about politicians and their spouses accepting those kinds of gifts.

As for the speechmaking, they seem to think that because they were successful at raising awareness of their pet issues for charity, people will happily pay them huge amounts to impart their personal expertise on those subjects. The problem is that neither has much expertise to impart. If the racial equity discussions are US-centric and aimed at an American audience, Harry has nothing to contribute. Most of America’s problems stem from policies that were and are unique to the US, that someone who’s lived here for just a few months wouldn’t have any experience with, or any reason to know about. That’s not a criticism of Harry - if I’d lived in the UK for three months, I might develop some opinions about British social problems during that time, but I certainly wouldn’t expect anyone to pay for the privilege of hearing them.

Meghan is better - she at least knows something about the subject - but the only reason anyone knows her name is because she married a famous and wealthy man. For her to hold herself out as an expert on empowering women when she’s done nothing noteworthy in her own right is absurd. I’d much rather hear from a woman who started as a secretary and worked her way up to CEO of a major corporation, or who was homeless after leaving an abusive marriage but is now a successful professional. Meghan’s done some good charity work for women’s empowerment, but I’d rather hear from some of the women who benefited from those programs. They’d probably put those big speaking fees to much better use. Maybe I’m wrong and donating the fees to charity was their plan all along, but I’m not holding my breath on that.

Their plan seems to be to get paid for being famous, which will require them to stay famous. That, in turn, will require tradeoffs like courting media attention that Harry, at least, has made clear he doesn’t want. (I know Meghan’s said that, too, but I think Harry actually means it.) It’s too bad, really - if he’d done this at a younger age while still single, he’d probably have been perfectly happy with a low-key lifestyle as a plumber or something. That’s not a realistic option for him now. This can't have been what he had in mind when he made the decision to leave.

Harry can think he would like a life as a plumber all he wants but he wouldn't.it is a fantasy for him. He could never be anything else. He will begin slowly t just carry n at royalesk work and noting will change. She can do what she wants.

That is basically what he is doing nowell. That wont change. Ridiculous what they did really. More of the same for him but she wanted more freedom and ai do the blame her really. She had no idea what she was getting into.
I
He will be back working at royal stuff in a year.I guess she can keep doing her thing and hopefully they will make it work.

You have made some good points "Ugly American"

But if there is any possibility that Meghan enters politics there will be no money coming from Charles. That would stop. Don't be surprised if it is stopped going forward anyway.

Im sure America is full of MBAs who work their way up in businesses and may get invited onto boards of corporatations.. but what Meghan or Harry could bring is pretty hard to work out.

Yeah you're right there are plenty of MBA's. And some how there are many people who work high up in the business world with no business degree. Companies like people who have life experience and bring different ideas to the board. Many boards will have celebrities, will have veterans, and other areas that bring a different view to their company.

I know, Megan is a 'moderate actress' and Harry is the party prince :ermm:

Meghan:
-seven years on a very successful television show in a starring role, as well as tv movies and guest spots on things like Chopped
-her own clothing line with Reitmans
-a very successful lifestyle blog
-work with the UN, One word, USO and World Vision on womens rights and clean water campaigns
-also brings the perspective of a bi-racial woman in these times

Harry:
-actively served in the military- which is a draw for companies
-His involvement with working with veterans both with Invictus and Walking with the Wounded gives him a good perspective and view on veteran affairs
-practical experience working in nature conservation in Africa

There is plenty that they could be asked to speak about for talks. And that companies could see them bringing to their company as well.

Yeah you're right there are plenty of MBA's. And some how there are many people who work high up in the business world with no business degree. Companies like people who have life experience and bring different ideas to the board. Many boards will have celebrities, will have veterans, and other areas that bring a different view to their company.

Meghan:
-seven years on a very successful television show in a starring role, as well as tv movies and guest spots on things like Chopped
-work with the UN, One word, USO and World Vision on womens rights and clean water campaigns

Harry:
-His involvement with working with veterans both with Invictus and Walking with the Wounded gives him a good perspective and view on veteran affairs

There is plenty that they could be asked to speak about for talks. And that companies could see them bringing to their company as well.

No there isn't. Nothing that anyone could not do better on these subjects. They are dilettantes. Not that any of the rest of them.are any different but they have their legitimate platforms. By that I mean not for money.

[...]

Yes because the royals would chat to young women of color about recent racist attack against them and have a real dialogue about it. Let's keep it real. This is not like what the royals would do. Nice that Meghan did reach out.

Exactly! I too am looking forward to Meghan interacting with these young girls. It should be very interesting.

Yes because the royals would chat to young women of color about recent racist attack against them and have a real dialogue about it. Let's keep it real. This is not like what the royals would do. Nice that Meghan did reach out.

It is exactly the area of work royals do. Subject matter may be different but it's the same thing. That is what royals do. Or have you never seen them to work. Terrorist attacks, pandemics, mental health, disasters. Always there to show there faces and over some words. Especially the Queen. Meghan will talk at the girls. She gives good Michelle Obama. And that is in no way a criticism. Michelle Obama is incredibly impressive.

Last edited:
You literally comparing her to Michelle Obama who is not a royal. This "work" is what some public figures do. That is what Meghan is. She did this type of stuff before she was a royal. Now it is just on a bigger platform. And subject matter is important in this instance. It is the reason of the call.

I'm well aware of they how the royals work but also know their limitations. And it is understandable as they have to maintain a certain way.

You literally comparing her to Michelle Obama who is not a royal. This "work" is what some public figures do. That is what Meghan is. She did this type of stuff before she was a royal. Now it is just on a bigger platform. And subject matter is important in this instance. It is the reason of the call.

I'm well aware of they how the royals work but also know their limitations. And it is understandable as they have to maintain a certain way.

As in she gives a good speech which was/is the part of Meghan which didn't really get on with being royal. The rest of it is essentially what the job of being royal is about. I am beginning to get a little tired of them to be honest. I have heard far more authentic stories in this time of reflection and have found all celebrities and their blackout on social media and their endless reckoning with their white privilege a load of showboating. Meghan is a person of colour and would have authentic life experiences to share in this debate but I have never found her to be an authentic voice but she gives a good speech.

Meghan:

Harry:

Well before you yell at me I don't dislike either of them - but I would argue particularly with Meghan some of the points you made. Her TV show was a moderately successful one on basic cable - she's hardly Merle Streep who they could hire to speak for them on her decades in Hollywood if they wanted an actress. Others have had far more successful clothing lines, they could get someone like Vera Wang who could speak about her decades as a fashion designer. She was only a speaker for the UN for a few months (Angelina Jolie would be a better speaker) and I could think of other bi-racial women who would be better speakers as well. If I wanted a princess to talk about what it was like to be a black princess in a European court I'd try to get Princess Angela - she was a princess far longer than Meghan.

I'd agree Harry could speak about the military but if I wanted a prince to talk about the situation in Africa I'd hire Prince Seesio. I'd agree he could talk about "Walking with the wounded" but why not get Ed Parker? Again with conservation in Africa I'd hire Prince Seesio - I've heard him talk and his life has been very interesting.

Last edited:
When Charles ascends to the throne and William takes over the Wales empire which includes the Duchy of Cornwall, do you think Charles will continue to support Harry's family, or will William take over that responsibility? It would be great if this becomes a moot point due to H and M earning substantial income.

The Duke and Duchess may find their niche in the cruise industry, if they really want to pursue speaking as a way to financially support themselves.

They only have to hangout until the Covid all-clear is given and the industry is back up and running.

They can join the ex-Ambassadors, ex-Royal Security staff and servants, current working astromoners, current working ladies magazine editors, historians and authors, psychologists, that I have been exposed to onboard.

Some ships sell themselves on providing "enrichment" services - that is, informal talks, formal speeches, Q and A sessions with the passengers, book signings - with people from many, many diverse backgrounds and talents.

Always well attended events, usually two, if not three, speakers per day on sea days.

Pam Ayers was standing-room only on all her appearances on my last trip, and the US passengers didn't even know who she was.

Of course I don't see the Sussex couple ever going down this path, but I can't see them turning up at a Las Vegas conference as being much different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom