General Discussion about Royal Residences 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd go further and give the whole of the Duchy of Cornwall to The National Trust (with covenants to protect existing tenants) and fund The Prince of Wales as part of HMK's funding (which needs modernising).

Frogmore Cottage should be leased privately and Harry compensated for his contribution to it. He could have an apartment made available to him in Windsor Castle or BP for when he visits.

The Duchy provides the income for the PoW, independent of the government. I see no reason to part with it. I do not believe the Duchy of Lancaster provides enough financing for both the King and the PoW.

I'd go further and give the whole of the Duchy of Cornwall to The National Trust (with covenants to protect existing tenants) and fund The Prince of Wales as part of HMK's funding (which needs modernising).

Frogmore Cottage should be leased privately and Harry compensated for his contribution to it. He could have an apartment made available to him in Windsor Castle or BP for when he visits.
What would Harry need space for Windsor Castle or Buckingham palace? He doesn’t live in the UK full time and he’s leasing Frogmore cottage. What exactly would be the point of giving the Duchy of Cornwall to the National Trust, the duchy provides an income for the Prince Wales

> Balmoral and Sandringham are privately owned by the monarch, and form a substantial part of the King's wealth. I can't see the property being handed over for nothing. That said, I can see them both being superflous to requirements, and perhaps being opened to the public for large parts of the year.

> Clarence House can be used as a museaum or offices once C&C move to BP after the renovations of BP are complete. It may well be required for George, in time, so it perhaps will need to be kept in reserve.

> In time, KP can be handed back to the government.

> I have no issue with Andrew and Edward living where they do. The both have leases on the properties, acquired in arms length transactions. It is none of our business, IMO, on how and where they live, as long as it is privately funded.
Why should KP be handed over to the government?

This honestly sounds ridiculous to me. The changes you are proposing are extremely drastic and disruptive.

We need drastic and disruptive change if the monarchy is to survive.

no reason. I dont see why any of these big changes should happen. Charles will probalby slim things down a bit, but most of what is being proposed herre just wont happen.

I think you’re dead wrong about that, as I commented in another thread.

Institutions as ancient as the monarchy are much more likely to be threatened by immediate and drastic change than they are to be helped by it. A huge part of what they offer is continuity and tradition. If you all of a sudden decide all of those traditions need to be entirely rewritten, the very real response is “well, why do we even need this at all?”

A lot of the changes you’re proposing would make being a member of the royal family even harder a job than it already is, with far less space to ever be out of the public eye. That would be really damaging in and of itself.

no reason. I dont see why any of these big changes should happen. Charles will probalby slim things down a bit, but most of what is being proposed herre just wont happen.
Exactly. These ideas are too radical and drastic. I highly doubt they will ever to come to fruition.

The monarchy isn’t going to end because of their use of these properties. The public already has access to many properties.

In regard of the Scotland properties, I can see Charles choosing Birkhall as his preferred home, leaving Balmoral for William. The Prince and Princess of Wales do not have a Scotland home as of now, do they?

The Castle of Mey will probably be sold off in the next years. Charles inherited it from the Queen Mother but barely stays there during the year, right? I believe its connected to the "Prince's Foundation''.

I read somewhere there's already talking of selling the Romania Estate, which absolutely makes sense.

Last edited:
> Balmoral and Sandringham are privately owned by the monarch, and form a substantial part of the King's wealth. I can't see the property being handed over for nothing. That said, I can see them both being superflous to requirements, and perhaps being opened to the public for large parts of the year.
I think the King's wealth is a problem and the longer he retains it, the more problematic it will become for the monarchy's future. Donating them to the nation would be extremely well received by the public and save William from having to do it.

Clarence House can be used as a museaum or offices once C&C move to BP after the renovations of BP are complete. It may well be required for George, in time, so it perhaps will need to be kept in reserve.
I think by the time George 'needs' it, people won't approve of him having an additional property when he can still live comfortably in Windsor Castle with rooms in BP when he's in London

In time, KP can be handed back to the government.
I think the time is now, before the tide turns in favour of a republic.

I have no issue with Andrew and Edward living where they do. The both have leases on the properties, acquired in arms length transactions. It is none of our business, IMO, on how and where they live, as long as it is privately funded.
The perception of them living in large, luxurious properties that they haven't paid for isn't good for the monarchy. They might have paid for their leases but where did they get the money? I do think it's our business where members of the royal family live if they're not seen to be contributing much to the nation. They don't need homes like this and could live very comfortably in smaller houses. Princess Anne's place is self-funding as it's a farm and her tremendously hard work probably absolves her in the public's eyes from accusations of living in luxury while they're struggling to pay their bills.

I think about the worst thing on earth for the monarchy would be financially desperate royals whose every expenditure has to be approved by the government at the whim of the general public. This is just all so short-sighted.

In regard of the Scotland properties, I can see Charles choosing Birkhall as his preferred home, leaving Balmoral for William. The Prince and Princess of Wales do not have a Scotland home as of now, do they?

The Castle of Mey will probably be sold off in the next years. Charles inherited it from the Queen Mother but barely stays there during the year, right? I believe its connected to the "Prince's Foundation''.

I read somewhere there's already talking of selling the Romania Estate, which absolutely makes sense.

The Castle of Mey is run by a trust and open to the public most of the year. The King visits for a few weeks every year but it’s not going to waste or sitting empty. I think that arrangement may become more common.

I think about the worst thing on earth for the monarchy would be financially desperate royals whose every expenditure has to be approved by the government at the whim of the general public. This is just all so short-sighted.
I agree with you completely. Some of these changes are too radical and will stir up too much unnecessary media interest

I think the King's wealth is a problem and the longer he retains it, the more problematic it will become for the monarchy's future. Donating them to the nation would be extremely well received by the public and save William from having to do it.

I think by the time George 'needs' it, people won't approve of him having an additional property when he can still live comfortably in Windsor Castle with rooms in BP when he's in London

I think the time is now, before the tide turns in favour of a republic.

The perception of them living in large, luxurious properties that they haven't paid for isn't good for the monarchy. They might have paid for their leases but where did they get the money? I do think it's our business where members of the royal family live if they're not seen to be contributing much to the nation. They don't need homes like this and could live very comfortably in smaller houses. Princess Anne's place is self-funding as it's a farm and her tremendously hard work probably absolves her in the public's eyes from accusations of living in luxury while they're struggling to pay their bills.
Charles doesn’t have much of personal wealth. Sandringham and Balmoral are only two personal residences privately owned by the BRF. Why should they have to donate them? The UK isn’t going to turn into a Republic because of properties. Most of the properties are owned by the Crown. Perception is a funny thing and Edward is a working royal who doesn’t cause fuss so why should he downsize? The minor royals who live in Crown properties pay rent. The BRF are not the cause of the cost of living crisis and there would probably be a crisis even if there was no monarchy

From what I did read, Queen Elisabeth II. had a private fortune of roughly 600 million Pound or roughly 700 million Dollar or Euro.

It is not like the Windsors are billionaires or something!

The World has roughly 3 000 billionaires and many of them or only heirs too.

So, they better keep their properties! Especially since in their future always the threat of a Republic looms. Then they need a fall-back position.

I don't want to see a Windsor Prince working as an auctionator for a little money at Sotheby's ever! There are enough puny Princes already!

Private property should not enter this discussion. The Royal family, just like any citizen, has no obligation in ''giving them to the nation''.

The crown estates should be made even more accessible to the public I agree, but I guess the King does too.

I do think St. James and KP are redundant as royal homes, so one of them should be handed to the "Royal Historic Palaces" org for good.

The worst thing on earth for the monarchy would be for it to be abolished. The "whim of the general public" is the only thing keeping the monarchy as an institution. The royals will never be "financially desperate" but they could cease to exist as royalty if they don't work at retaining the public's support.

The worst thing on earth for the monarchy would be for it to be abolished. The "whim of the general public" is the only thing keeping the monarchy as an institution. The royals will never be "financially desperate" but they could cease to exist as royalty if they don't work at retaining the public's support.
Giving up properties on a whim is not going to keep the monarchy from being abolished and they don’t own most of the properties, The Crown does. In what way are they ceasing to lose support? Most people are apathetic to the monarchy but aren’t seriously going to depose the monarchy for a Republic.

Giving up properties on a whim is not going to keep the monarchy from being abolished and they don’t own most of the properties, The Crown does. In what way are they ceasing to lose support? Most people are apathetic to the monarchy but aren’t seriously going to depose the monarchy for a Republic.

I think the monarchy's safe for another few years, and giving up properties just aint gonna happen. They might turn over some building to the Govt or the like but giving the Duchy of Cornwall to the National Trust/???

I think the monarchy's safe for another few years, and giving up properties just aint gonna happen. They might turn over some building to the Govt or the like but giving the Duchy of Cornwall to the National Trust/???
These plans aren’t necessary and aren’t going to solve any real problems.

Obviously this isn't going to happen, but does Charles actually have the authority to sell either Balmoral or Sandringham if he so wished? Surely they are held in some kind of trust to ensure they stay in the family long term?

General Discussion about Royal Residences

Obviously this isn't going to happen, but does Charles actually have the authority to sell either Balmoral or Sandringham if he so wished? Surely they are held in some kind of trust to ensure they stay in the family long term?

He does have the authority but only for those two residences. They are privately owned by the monarch. George VI had to buy Balmoral and Sandringham back from Edward VII after he abdicated.

KP has few senior royals in residence at the moment who could not, potentially, be rehoused elsewhere.

> The Wales' are unlikely to return to live at KP.
> The offices of the Prince and Princess of Wales cold probably be moved to St James' or Clarence House, once C&C have moved to BP
> Alternative accomodation will need to be found for the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester. That said, both are not living within the main KP building, but in subsidiary buildings within the complex
> Prince Michael of Kent is a tenant, and pays a commercial rent. Can probably be rehoused elsewhere.

Due thought will need to be given to where William's children are housed in the future (perhaps within the Windsor estate?) and you can see an argument for handing KP back to Historic Royal Palaces or the government directly.

From what I did read, Queen Elisabeth II. had a private fortune of roughly 600 million Pound or roughly 700 million Dollar or Euro.

It is not like the Windsors are billionaires or something!

The World has roughly 3 000 billionaires and many of them or only heirs too.

So, they better keep their properties! Especially since in their future always the threat of a Republic looms. Then they need a fall-back position.

I don't want to see a Windsor Prince working as an auctionator for a little money at Sotheby's ever! There are enough puny Princes already!

I would not believe these numbers of 600-700mn.

I do think St. James and KP are redundant as royal homes, so one of them should be handed to the "Royal Historic Palaces" org for good.

St James' is the heart of the monarchy, and must be retained by The Firm.

KP has few senior royals in residence at the moment who could not, potentially, be rehoused elsewhere.

> The offices of the Prince and Princess of Wales cold probably be moved to St James' or Clarence House, once C&C have moved to BP
> Alternative accomodation will need to be found for the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester. That said, both are not living within the main KP building, but in subsidiary buildings within the complex
> Prince Michael of Kent is a tenant, and pays a commercial rent. Can probably be rehoused elsewhere.

Due thought will need to be given to where William's children are housed in the future (perhaps within the Windsor estate?) and you can see an argument for handing KP back to Historic Royal Palaces or the government directly.

I believe that Prince George and Princess Charlotte when they come of age can move to KP. It is a possibility that cannot be ruled out. I think this palace should remain in the royal family.

In theory it should be quite straightforward to evict the last of the royal hangers on from KP/SJP..

Why should they be rehoused? If they pay rent and aren’t living in the larger properties why should they leave? The BRF don’t personally own Kensington Palace, The Crown estates do since Queen Victoria left it to the Crown and tours and exhibitions happen there from time to time so it’s not as if the Kent’s and Gloucester’s are hoarding property for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom