Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
yassina said:
Frederik and Marys baby if it is a girl she well have the name Magrethe. Thats a danish low.

Where did you get that from?? Its not a law at all in Denmark that girls have to be named Margrethe. The reason why our Queen has that name is in honour of her grandmother.

Baby Names

Boy names

1. William
2. Gabriel
3. Juian
4. Alexander
5. Valdemar

Girl names

1. Victoria
2. Katarina
3. Klara
4. Xenia
5. Natalie

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a law !!!!!!

It is not a danish low that all girls are named Margrethe. But it is a law that the daugther of the crown prince, have the name Margrethe. Not as a first name. Just one of her names have to be Margreth.
It is also a law that if a girl is born, and she is not named befor she is 6 month old she gets the name Margrethe.
Like boy get the name Frederik.

Last edited by a moderator:
kiwi said:
It is not a danish low that all girls are named Margrethe. But it is a law that the daugther of the crown prince, have the name Margrethe. Not as a first name. Just one of her names have to be Margreth.
It is also a law that if a girl is born, and she is not named befor she is 6 month old she gets the name Margrethe.
Do you have a reference? I've heard the first one before, and I've not found anything to support it?

kiwi said:

I have no references to give, but I am confident that there are absolutely no laws dictating the names of Danish royalty, whether they be heirs to the throne or not. In theory, TRH The Crown Prince Couple could have named their first born son Prince Olfert Hansi Lars Peter. Of course there are traditions regarding the names of boys, traditions which the Crown Prince Couple chose to stick to. But there are no written laws regarding this.

As it has already been emphasised, HM The Queen was named Margrethe, not after Queen Margrete I, but after her Swedish grandmother who died before she was born. Her Majesty has said so herself on several occasions, among others an interview conducted on the occasion of Her Majesty's 40th birthday.

Cheers:)
Lasse

Lasse Pedersen said:
I have no references to give, but I am confident that there are absolutely no laws dictating the names of Danish royalty, whether they be heirs to the throne or not. In theory, TRH The Crown Prince Couple could have named their first born son Prince Olfert Hansi Lars Peter. Of course there are traditions regarding the names of boys, traditions which the Crown Prince Couple chose to stick to. But there are no written laws regarding this.

As it has already been emphasised, HM The Queen was named Margrethe, not after Queen Margrete I, but after her Swedish grandmother who died before she was born. Her Majesty has said so herself on several occasions, among others an interview conducted on the occasion of Her Majesty's 40th birthday.

Cheers:)
Lasse

Just my word. Lets call it a tradition pls and not a law that you are naming your children after persons in the family

I do not believe Lasse meant laws, Betina. In his post he clearly says traditions in his above post.

I wonder if they will reveal the gender of the baby before it's born like Felipe and Letiza did with their second daughter.:ermm:

Last edited:
Penny Lane said:
I wonder if they will reveal the gender of the baby before it's born like Felipe and Letiza did with their second daughter.:ermm:

Probably not. The only reason Felipe & Letizia announced what they were having was to spur things on with changing the law of succession. But it would be neat if did announce what they were having.

Lady Jennifer said:
Probably not. The only reason Felipe & Letizia announced what they were having was to spur things on with changing the law of succession. But it would be neat if did announce what they were having.
Yes I can understand that the law of succession becomes a big deal look at Japan:mad: .Personally I think it should be firsborn no matter the gender.Of course Mary and Frederik may know but not tell before the baby is born.

What about

Xenia Dagmar Margarethe Olga Henrietta

In a globalised world with the present day royals promoting many international organisations and charities, names such as Frederik, Christian, Margrethe are sensible in my opinion. Please don't go with ancient Danish/Scandinavian names Mary. Chose names that we can all understand and easily pronounce please- take the tip from the latest generation of Swedish royal children- good names that we all can pronounce and identify as names.

GlitteringTiaras said:
I do not believe Lasse meant laws, Betina. In his post he clearly says traditions in his above post.

Yes i also agreed with lasse :flowers:
It was only because Kiwi called it a law in a previous post

juliana said:
In a globalised world with the present day royals promoting many international organisations and charities, names such as Frederik, Christian, Margrethe are sensible in my opinion. Please don't go with ancient Danish/Scandinavian names Mary. Chose names that we can all understand and easily pronounce please- take the tip from the latest generation of Swedish royal children- good names that we all can pronounce and identify as names.

I actually like those old scandinavian names. Love the name Sverre, for Mette-Marits little boy, and I wouldn' t mind a little Gorm, Knud, Axel or Viggo for the next Danish one. But I expect more ' international' names to.

Marengo said:
I actually like those old scandinavian names. Love the name Sverre, for Mette-Marits little boy, and I wouldn' t mind a little Gorm, Knud, Axel or Viggo for the next Danish one. But I expect more ' international' names to.
Yes, the Scandinavian names are neat, but more like names out of Lord of the Rings for the rest of us, not like real names at all. I suppose it doesn't really matter what names they chose but so far we are going to have a Queen Ingrid, Queen Victoria and King Christian - all decent regal sounding names and no non-Scandinavian speakers are going to make mistakes in the pronunciations:). The Sverre/Mette/Gorm/Knud names et al are not really neat sounding names outside that area but it is irrelevant because if they want to chose those, the locals will love the names no doubt, and that is all that matters:).

Another long shot suggestion:

Prince Thomas Harald Andre Frederik and
Princess Arabella Olympia Ingrid Margrethe

:ohmy: What do you think the outside chances are that Mary and Fred monitor this kind of thread (or even this kind of site)? Makes you wonder...maybe one of us (or us collectively) will have more of an effect on the name choice ultimately than we realize!

I wonder if Fred & Mary will do what Grace & Rainier did...all three children have names that are easily recognizable in English and French. Christian, while following the tradition of the names of Danish kings, falls into that pattern. Regardless of the gender of the baby (and I'm hoping for a girl for that family -- they really need one), I think this is the route they will go.

Royal Fan said:
Gabriella Astrid Mary Ingrid

Hmmm...somehow I think that both grandmother's names would be there too...

Gabriella Margarethe (Mary's mother's name) Mary

In reply to Lady Bluffton's post, my answer is YES of course they must...and if not them personally then some member of their staff would...How else would Mary know not to wear black pantyhose with light coloured shoes EVER AGAIN ;)

Xeara said:
In reply to Lady Bluffton's post, my answer is YES of course they must...and if not them personally then some member of their staff would...How else would Mary know not to wear black pantyhose with light coloured shoes EVER AGAIN ;)

Xeara -- you are too much (LOL)! :flowers:

Xeara said:

:ROFLMAO: I am sure they do - its part of the royal upkeep!!

I can't remember if I posted in this thread, but I hope that the couple add a princess to their little family.

I'm really hoping the baby is a girl. I think Christian would be make a nice big brother for a little sister.

Annelise Margrethe Ingrid Henrietta

OR

Soren Frederik Axel Joachim

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
since mary is from austrailia i think they should honor the crocodile hunter and name him irwin if it's a boy or bindi if it's a girl.

hsieh said:
since mary is from austrailia i think they should honor the crocodile hunter and name him irwin if it's a boy or bindi if it's a girl.

I'm glade you jest.lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom