Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles will move where the Queen is, William will moved to where Charles is, and Harry will move to where William is. The only difference is, Harry will stay there permanently. The only delay may be Amner, until William is king. Then again, there are numerous other houses on the estates to chose from.

Harry may not move to where William is - Harry may not move at all. Depending on when the Queen dies, it may be that Harry is already established and therefore has no need to move. Charles will go to where his parents are now, while William will go to where his father is now, as their roles will both be drastically changing. Harry's, on the other hand, won't be changing that much.

Harry's role will become less important as George grows - and eventually it will be George who will probably end up with Anmer and Apartment 1A - if he marries as second in line or heir.

I can see William and Kate staying in KP though as heir and leaving CH to wait until George is ready to take it over rather than do multiple moves just as they will stay in Anmer until William is King and moves into the big house while Anmer becomes George's.

Harry is moving to minor royal status - just as Andrew and Margaret did before him.

The two brothers positions will diverge over time - William will move only ever closer to the throne while Harry will move further away. The rumours are the Kate wants three children - meaning Harry will drop from 4th - 6th in a couple of years and clearly into minor royal status then (just as Beatrice and Eugenie are regarded now).

Last edited:
I watched a gardening programme tonight which featured Highgrove and its stumpery. The reason for mentioning this is that is was obvious from what was shown and said by the Head Gardener that Charles loves - truly loves, Highgrove.

All things are negotiable - maybe he will want and be able to keep it once he is King. Why not? Just because things have been done a certain way, it doesn't mean they have to stay that way.

IMO,
When the Queen dies, Clarence House becomes a museum open year round. Focused mostly on the Queen, Phillip, Queen Mum and Charles, with all four floors opened.

Charles & Camilla moves in BP.
William and Kate remain in KP Apt 1A.

When Charles dies.
William & Kate move to BP.
George remains in KP Apt 1A until he becomes King & moves into BP.

The royals usually do not get a separate London home from their parents until they are married with a child on the way. George will probably still be single when William becomes King.

As far as Harry, I see him getting Wren House. The Kents are the oldest and will probably vacate KP the soonest.

I think there is a very good chance that George will be married before his father becomes King as that event is possibly 25 to 30 years away given the longevity of the family and the way Charles has taken care of himself.

I do think that CH will remain a home - simply because it is part of the St James' palace complex and I don't see them opening part of that complex permanently when most of it is closed to the public now due to its role in the monarchy.

I don't see why CH would have much to do with The Queen and Philip who only lived there for a couple of years as it wasn't ready when they first married and they had to move in 1952 to BP.

The Kent's are older - certainly but that doesn't mean they will be dying or moving as they have no other home. I can see them staying there until they pass and as given the longevity issue again I can see the Duke still being with us in 10 - 15 years time when Harry is 40+ and thus he will need a home of his own, presumably before then.

I watched a gardening programme tonight which featured Highgrove and its stumpery. The reason for mentioning this is that is was obvious from what was shown and said by the Head Gardener that Charles loves - truly loves, Highgrove.

All things are negotiable - maybe he will want and be able to keep it once he is King. Why not? Just because things have been done a certain way, it doesn't mean they have to stay that way.

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall not Charles personally. When Charles is King, William is the new Duke. William could let his father stay there, but Charles will have Windsor to experiment with and William would need Highgrove as Charles did to be close to the Duchy land and Wales.

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall not Charles personally. When Charles is King, William is the new Duke. William could let his father stay there, but Charles will have Windsor to experiment with and William would need Highgrove as Charles did to be close to the Duchy land and Wales.

While I do agree that becoming King takes Charles out of Highgrove, legally, I do think his son could never take Highgrove out of Charles. It is the POW's lifelong labor of love. He will visit - and I dare say, his favorite places will not be changed. Just my opinion, though. The two of them could surprise me!

I would expect that when Charles is King, he will use BP, Windsor Castle, Balmoral and Sandringham.

This would leave William with CH, Anmer and Highgrove.

And Harry with appt 1a in KP and a country residence elsewhere.

I would expect that when Charles is King, he will use BP, Windsor Castle, Balmoral and Sandringham.

This would leave William with CH, Anmer and Highgrove.

And Harry with appt 1a in KP and a country residence elsewhere.

That certainly seems very plausible to me.

William will also have Birkhall - just as Charles has now - unless Charles stays are Birkhall and William moves into the main castle.

Why would Harry need a country house? Minor royals these days aren't getting the two homes like in the past and Harry is now largely a minor royal - just as Andrew and Margaret became before him with the birth of the new direct line generation.

Andrew currently has an apartment in BP and The Royal Lodge. Edward and Anne also have apartments in BP and their main residence elsewhere. Margaret had Apartment 1A and that was it - and that is all Harry can really expect, unless he is going to spend his own money buying somewhere new.

William will also have Birkhall - just as Charles has now - unless Charles stays are Birkhall and William moves into the main castle.

Why would Harry need a country house? Minor royals these days aren't getting the two homes like in the past and Harry is now largely a minor royal - just as Andrew and Margaret became before him with the birth of the new direct line generation.

Andrew currently has an apartment in BP and The Royal Lodge. Edward and Anne also have apartments in BP and their main residence elsewhere. Margaret had Apartment 1A and that was it - and that is all Harry can really expect, unless he is going to spend his own money buying somewhere new.

Yes but all 4 of the Queen's children have a residence in a palace in London and a main residence elsewhere. Margaret had a second home in the Caribbean. I am sure when married, Harry will be given a second home.

Yes but all 4 of the Queen's children have a residence in a palace in London and a main residence elsewhere. Margaret had a second home in the Caribbean. I am sure when married, Harry will be given a second home.

THe home in the caribbean was not a gift from the royal family. I know that I've been told I'm wrong about this, but I think that Harry (somehow) will have the use of Highgrove.

To be honest, I think that if Harry were to have a second home, it would be one he purchases for himself and his family and will be in Africa.

I think he'll need a countryside house.

Margaret's house was a wedding gift from Colin Tennent. Harry isn't going to have a income source like the Duchy of Cornwall to fund a large household. Harry's share of his Diana inheritance which he can access this Sept when he turns 30 is only around £10 million.

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall so it will be under William's control. He could lease it to his brother if he wanted.

Last edited:
I think William is more likely to be leasing Highgrove to Charles while he is Duke of Cornwall as I don't think Charles will move out of his favourite home just because he is King.

So it will be George from whom Harry may be able to lease Highgrove.

Margaret's house was a wedding gift from Colin Tennent. Harry isn't going to have a income source like the Duchy of Cornwall to fund a large household. Harry's share of his Diana inheritance which he can access this Sept when he turns 30 is only around £10 million. s brother if he wanted.

But Anne, Edward and Andrew are in the same position as Harry will be and they manage to fund large country homes. Anne's is obviously private property but there must still be big running costs involved.

Apartment 1A though is much, much larger than the apartments that Anne, Andrew and Edward have in BP as they don't actually 'live' in those apartments but stay there when they can't get home.

If Harry has 1A then that will be his main home and to then have a second massive home in the country will not be in keeping with his lessening importance in the family and would be seen as completely ostentatious for the mere second child.

If Margaret coped with one British home then Harry can as well - whether it is a country one with an apartment in BP when his father and then brother is monarch or 1A and stays with Charles or William at Sandringham or Balmoral - and there are other homes on those estates he could have as his country home.

The point that seems to being missed is that the younger siblings have ONE major home and a small London based for work purposes and somehow think that Harry should have more than say Andrew who is also the second son or Margaret had.

Another point that needs to be considered is where will Andrew, Anne and Edward have their London bases when Charles is King - or will they only have their country residence and thus have to travel home after London events?

I wonder why Margaret only had the one residence. Did her and Anthony raise their children solely at Kensington Palace?

As for William and Kate - are they using 1A as their main residence with Anmer as a retreat or other way around, more like Charles' siblings?

I expect Harry will have another place when he has children - he could even share Anmer if it is free much of the time.

Margaret's main residence was Apt 1a. Her family could stay with the Queen when visiting Balmoral and Norfolk. Harry and his family could stay at his father's residences especially if the Cambridges stay in Birkhall and Amner. Plus I wonder how much interaction Charles will have with all of his siblings after he is King. Is Andrew and girls are going to pop over for a extended Scottish stay each fall?

There will be quite a few more residences available in the next generation, since Charles had two kids instead of four. I think there will be no need to share

There aren't actually that many more residences as Anne owns Gatcombe outright so it will go to Peter and/or Zara. Edward has a 50 year lease on Bagshot with about 40 years still to run so not available for Harry until Harry is nearly 70 and The Royal Lodge has only used about 10 years of the 99 year lease Andrew had on that as the intention is the either Beatrice and/or Eugenie will continue to live there.

There are smaller residences at Sandringham - some are now offices etc but the royals have taken back residences from charities and other people in the past e.g. Apartment 1A - so no reason why some other organisation or staff couldn't be removed from other residences for Harry if he insists on a country residence.

We are assuming that he won't have a family residence in London in use when Charles becomes King and that he would then want to actually move from that residence or that William and Kate actually want to move into CH - and if Camilla outlives Charles where will she live? She will also need an appropriate home as the surviving consort of the monarch.

:previous: The discussion isnt about a London base (rooms in BP, KP or SJP could be made available). It is a country residence. I think Highgrove could be made abauilable; I think in the past you have said this is not possible cos it belongs to Duchy of Cornwall.

I think if Charles or William want Harry to have use of it, then he will - even under a pepper-corn lease.

I would think William would get Highgrove as he'll be Duke of Cornwall- which leaves Anmer for Harry.

And William will also get Birkhall when Charles gets Balmoral so William's cottage on the Balmoral estate will open up.

Clarence House could go to William while Harry takes Apartment 1A which will already be refurbished and
modernized.

There won't be any shortage of available space.

Everyone seems to be assuming that William move when he becomes Duke of Cornwall and he may very well not wish to do so so he will keep Anmer and either continue to lease Highgrove to Charles (Charles is currently paying a commercial lease for Highgrove) which I can see continuing. I can also see Charles staying at Birkhall and allowing William to have Balmoral.

The cottage that William was given on the Balmoral estate is very small - I have even heard that he doesn't stay there with Kate because it is now too small for them but...

We are also assuming that The Queen doesn't decide to leave either Balmoral or Sandringham to one of her other children which she can do as they are private properties and not state owned - yes there would be death duties but she could easily have set up a means for them to do that if she wants her younger sons to have a private country estate like her daughter has.

Besides Camilla - where would Philip go if he outlives The Queen?

Frankly I don't see William moving at all until he is King so he stays at 1A and Anmer Hall while Charles takes over the main house at Sandringham and Harry has an apartment there for use at Christmas - as happens now. As for Balmoral I see William moving into the main castle - as he doesn't go there that often unlike Charles who spends weeks at a time there and Balmoral isn't available to the monarch for most of the year - even The Queen stays elsewhere on the estate for the first week or so that she is there as part of the castle open to the public - bringing in money to help run the estate.

I don't see any reason to think that Charles will leave Highgrove either as he has built it himself and I really don't see either of the princes wanting to live there.

I can see Philip moving back to CH if he outlives The Queen and remain in his own apartments at Windsor.

The other thing is Harry won't need anything larger than he has now until he marries and there is no guarantee that will ever happen.

:previous: The discussion isnt about a London base (rooms in BP, KP or SJP could be made available). It is a country residence. I think Highgrove could be made abauilable; I think in the past you have said this is not possible cos it belongs to Duchy of Cornwall.

I think if Charles or William want Harry to have use of it, then he will - even under a pepper-corn lease.

I am sorry but I thought the topic was 'Future Home for Prince Harry' not Future 'country' home for Prince Harry.

As the discussion is a 'future home' the possibilities of a London residence has be to part of the discussion.

I am sorry but I thought the topic was 'Future Home for Prince Harry' not Future 'country' home for Prince Harry.

As the discussion is a 'future home' the possibilities of a London residence has be to part of the discussion.

An opinion is just that. It doesn't require acres of historical evidence or years of teaching practice. It is an opinion. Just allow people to have their own view, please.

Everyone seems to be assuming that William move when he becomes Duke of Cornwall and he may very well not wish to do so so he will keep Anmer and either continue to lease Highgrove to Charles (Charles is currently paying a commercial lease for Highgrove) which I can see continuing. I can also see Charles staying at Birkhall and allowing William to have Balmoral.

The cottage that William was given on the Balmoral estate is very small - I have even heard that he doesn't stay there with Kate because it is now too small for them but...

We are also assuming that The Queen doesn't decide to leave either Balmoral or Sandringham to one of her other children which she can do as they are private properties and not state owned - yes there would be death duties but she could easily have set up a means for them to do that if she wants her younger sons to have a private country estate like her daughter has.

Besides Camilla - where would Philip go if he outlives The Queen?

Frankly I don't see William moving at all until he is King so he stays at 1A and Anmer Hall while Charles takes over the main house at Sandringham and Harry has an apartment there for use at Christmas - as happens now. As for Balmoral I see William moving into the main castle - as he doesn't go there that often unlike Charles who spends weeks at a time there and Balmoral isn't available to the monarch for most of the year - even The Queen stays elsewhere on the estate for the first week or so that she is there as part of the castle open to the public - bringing in money to help run the estate.

I don't see any reason to think that Charles will leave Highgrove either as he has built it himself and I really don't see either of the princes wanting to live there.

I can see Philip moving back to CH if he outlives The Queen and remain in his own apartments at Windsor.

The other thing is Harry won't need anything larger than he has now until he marries and there is no guarantee that will ever happen.

Camilla has Raymill House that is hers. The Queen doesn't have to leave Balmoral and Sandringham to Charles but going back to Edward VII the private estates have been left to the next monarch (not counting George VI who had to buy them from his brother) so it is highly likely that Charles and then William will inherit Balmoral & Sandringham. Charles doesn't own Highgrove himself. It part of the Duchy of Cornwall so he can't leave it anyone.

If the Cambridges want to stay at KP after Charles is King, Harry could go to Clarence House. However, the Cambridge might need the larger house for the reception areas and to house a bigger staff than what they have now. Plus it frees up CH for George after William becomes King.

An opinion is just that. It doesn't require acres of historical evidence or years of teaching practice. It is an opinion. Just allow people to have their own view, please.

I am sorry Cepe but I don't understand what you are saying.

I have been giving my opinion on future homes for Harry and then you tell me that the discussion is only about future country homes - and when I query that comment you come back with this comment that I simply don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom