Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, until then, he's on a lease. [emoji38] But yea, I agree, I don't see them giving up 1A or Amner. That's where they raised/are raising their children.

As for Harry, I just don't see them living in Norfolk. I can actually see some kind of leasing arrangement made with Highgrove if he and Meghan just want a small place in London. It's close to Cotswoulds, which is where they spend a lot of time at.
Harry is unlikely to be able to afford the upkeep of Highgeove. It is a big and expensive estate to run.

The Sussexes reportedly will soon be moving from KP's Nottingham Cottage into the renovated Apartment 1 at KP (which adjoins the Cambridges Apartment 1A), previously occupied by the Gloucesters. Meanwhile M&H reportedly spend weekends at a rented home in the Cotswolds on the Great Tew Estate. Also QEII is said to have gifted them York Cottage on the Sandringham Estate and Adelaide Cottage on the Windsor Estate:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/...m-cottage-york-cottage-adelaide-cottage.html/

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...e-harry-meghan-markle-house-adelaide-cottage/

https://www.romper.com/p/heres-the-...arry-are-leasing-for-the-next-2-years-9238432

I sort of doubt this. The Queen only gifted William two homes (Amner and 1A) so I question that she'd give Harry three, especially when he is renting the home in the Cotswolds.

Based on precedent it seems that non-heirs only get either a big London apartment (ala Margaret) or a big country house and a small suite of rooms in London for practical purposes (ala Anne, Andrew, and Edward). For any other accommodations, you're on your own.

Given precedent, there seems to be two reasonable scenarios for the Sussexes.
  1. If they plan on leasing the home in the Cotswolds long term or eventually buying a house there then they should take the big London apartment, giving them the best of both worlds
  2. If they don't plan on staying in the Cotswolds long term they likely pick the country house, perhaps choosing something on the Windsor estate

I sort of doubt this. The Queen only gifted William two homes (Amner and 1A) so I question that she'd give Harry three, especially when he is renting the home in the Cotswolds.

Based on precedent it seems that non-heirs only get either a big London apartment (ala Margaret) or a big country house and a small suite of rooms in London for practical purposes (ala Anne, Andrew, and Edward). For any other accommodations, you're on your own.

Given precedent, there seems to be two reasonable scenarios for the Sussexes.
  1. If they plan on leasing the home in the Cotswolds long term or eventually buying a house there then they should take the big London apartment, giving them the best of both worlds
  2. If they don't plan on staying in the Cotswolds long term they likely pick the country house, perhaps choosing something on the Windsor estate

The reporting on a permanent home for Sussexes have been so all over the place that it tells me NO ONE really has a good source on it. As with many things regarding the Sussexes. And really, nevermind the precedence, what are they going to do with so many homes? On a different note, I don't think Windsor is that close to Cotswoulds though?

The reporting on a permanent home for Sussexes have been so all over the place that it tells me NO ONE really has a good source on it.

I have to agree with you on this.

On a different note, I don't think Windsor is that close to Cotswoulds though?

About 90 minutes in the car

And really, nevermind the precedence, what are they going to do with so many homes?

In terms of housing, my guesses are as follows:

> They will end up with a reasonable sized apartment at KP in the next year or so. This will be their main London residence

> They will not own a home in the country in the current reign. If they have the place in the country, they may continue to rent it for the forseeable future

> Once Charles is King, they will probably end up with Anmer, if W&C take on Highgrove

> H&M will not get Highgrove. It is too expensive an estate for them to be able to fund the running of.

The Moderators may want to move this conversation to the BRF Royal Residences thread.

Do you not think that as King Charles will still want to have Highgrove at his disposal? He must have grown rather attached to it over the years considering the time he has spent there & all the efforts he made with the garden and such. The same was the case for Edward VII and Sandringham House.

Last edited:
I don't see either of the boys getting HG (until Willam takes it on when he's the King)....it also doesn't make sense for H&M to keep renting a country home for a long time.

So they will either end up buying one (or having one bought for them) or relocated to Sandringham and end up with a renovated home or possibly a new one built there.

Frogmore is very romantic as are some of the other mentions (the Cottage etc) but just doesn't seem likely.

LaRae

I wonder if Charles will do something similar to his Dumfries House, use Highgrove as King occasionally and use it to show off the gardens, entertain charities, provide employment etc without is being his main residence. Charles seems to do that a lot, Llwynywermod, Dumfries, Castle of Mey - they are all residences he uses regularly but does not own himself.

The Queen provided her children with a suite of rooms/ apartment in London and provided or helped organised a country residence (mainly through the Crown Estate) for all but the heir (Charles). I wonder if she sees it as down to Charles to provide anything more than an official residence for Harry. I suspect she provided William with Anmer due to his unique position as a future King and in part to ensure he understands how Sandringham works, encourage a love of it etc.
I wonder if the Queen things if she provided a country house for Harry she would have to do the same for all her other grandchildren.

The York girls will inherit the use of the Lodge so they don't need anything gifted directly....Zara/Mike and Peter (I think Peter and Autumn live there) both live on Gatscomb Estate which was bought by the Queen for Anne and her family.

Edward has Bagshot and presumably his children will have it next.

Really Harry is the only one who doesn't, yet, have an estate he will inherit the use of.

LaRae

In terms of housing, my guesses are as follows:

> They will end up with a reasonable sized apartment at KP in the next year or so. This will be their main London residence

> They will not own a home in the country in the current reign. If they have the place in the country, they may continue to rent it for the forseeable future

> Once Charles is King, they will probably end up with Anmer, if W&C take on Highgrove

> H&M will not get Highgrove. It is too expensive an estate for them to be able to fund the running of.

The Moderators may want to move this conversation to the BRF Royal Residences thread.

I don't think Harry and Meghan will make Norfolk their primary home. So in that sense, I don't see them at Anmer at all. It's not really practical since most of their engagements, and their office, is based in London. It worked for Cambridges for a while because they were part time. Even they are only using that as weekend home now. If Sussexes are going to have a distant weekend home, I see them have a bigger home in London, and smaller place in the country. With Cotswoulds and Windsor, it is feasible to commute to engagements for the most part. So, if they are having their primary home in the country, it's going to be in Windsor likely. What I think will happen is they'll have a bigger apartment in London in the next few years with lease in Cotswoulds. And then see what comes up in the country in the next few years.

I wonder if Charles will do something similar to his Dumfries House, use Highgrove as King occasionally and use it to show off the gardens, entertain charities, provide employment etc without is being his main residence. Charles seems to do that a lot, Llwynywermod, Dumfries, Castle of Mey - they are all residences he uses regularly but does not own himself.

Why would there be such expectation? Harry and William receive rent free accommodations because they are working royals. Others are allowed to carry on a for profit career and actually make money.

Last edited:
Wasn't there talk some years back about a home bought by the Duchy of Cornwall for Harry? Harewood House or so?

I don't see either of the boys getting HG (until Willam takes it on when he's the King)....it also doesn't make sense for H&M to keep renting a country home for a long time.

So they will either end up buying one (or having one bought for them) or relocated to Sandringham and end up with a renovated home or possibly a new one built there.

Frogmore is very romantic as are some of the other mentions (the Cottage etc) but just doesn't seem likely.

LaRae

Actually, William will have Highgrove available to him for his use when he becomes the Duke of Cornwall as its the Duchy of Cornwall that actually owns Highgrove. I can see an arrangement being made that Charles still retains use of the property in exchange for Charles extending William's use of Amner Hall. That way nobody has to move and everybody stays where they feel at home in. It just seems logical to me.

Where Harry and Meghan end up permanently right now is anybody's guess. Once its decided though, I think it will be a lifetime residence for the couple with no games of musical residences as the monarchs change. Its not a decision that will be taken lightly and right now, things are working for them with Nott Cott in London and a rental in the Cotswolds that they like. They'll figure it all out. Eventually. :D

I don't think Harry and Meghan will make Norfolk their primary home. So in that sense, I don't see them at Anmer at all. It's not really practical since most of their engagements, and their office, is based in London. It worked for Cambridges for a while because they were part time. Even they are only using that as weekend home now. If Sussexes are going to have a distant weekend home, I see them have a bigger home in London, and smaller place in the country. With Cotswoulds and Windsor, it is feasible to commute to engagements for the most part. So, if they are having their primary home in the country, it's going to be in Windsor likely. What I think will happen is they'll have a bigger apartment in London in the next few years with lease in Cotswoulds. And then see what comes up in the country in the next few years.

Why would there be such expectation? Harry and William receive rent free accommodations because they are working royals. Others are allowed to carry on a for profit career and actually make money.

Yet the Queen never in her long reign saw it necessary to provide her sister, a working HRH member of the royal family, with a country home of any notable size.

My gut says Highgrove will ultimately become a tourist attraction devoted to maintaining Charles’ legacy. The gardens are already a popular tour and the whole place is just so intrinsically tied to him, almost like the physical manifestation of his interests and passions. I just don’t see either of his sons living there, but rather the home kept available for his use in one way or another during his life and then it becomes a income generation tool for the duchy after his passing.

Which continues to leave the question of where Harry will live. As for that, I don’t really trust any of the reports we’ve seen yet.

Some places are just destined to always be a legacy of a person and I think you're right on the money when it comes to Highgrove, loonytick. Just as when one hears the words Castle of Mey, the Queen Mum comes to mind, Highgrove will always bear the imprint of Charles both on the property itself with its fantastic gardens that reflect Charles' love of the land and sustainability. Some things just stick. Places become more than just a residence but become an extension of the person, themselves.

I think though, whatever residence Harry and Meghan end up with, as things stand right now, it will most likely just be a residence they live in. It would be so interesting though to have a legacy like Highgrove develop with wherever they live though.

My gut says Highgrove will ultimately become a tourist attraction devoted to maintaining Charles’ legacy. The gardens are already a popular tour and the whole place is just so intrinsically tied to him, almost like the physical manifestation of his interests and passions. I just don’t see either of his sons living there, but rather the home kept available for his use in one way or another during his life and then it becomes a income generation tool for the duchy after his passing.

Which continues to leave the question of where Harry will live. As for that, I don’t really trust any of the reports we’ve seen yet.

I suspect Harry has been given a choice in either leasing a Crown estate (ala Adelaide Cottage or something else on the Windsor grounds) or picking an apartment at Kensington Palace. If he chooses the latter he likely either goes into 4b (which I believe is vacant) or the Gloucesters decide to downsize (likely into 4b) and leave apartment 1 free for the Sussexes.

I read that Harry and Meghan have a rented house in the country? IF true, why are they renting when they can afford to by a house? That doesn't make much sense and a waste of money on a house that is not really theirs.

The royal watchers are pretty insistent that it's true. They are renting a place in the Cotswolds. As far as wasting money...evidently it makes sense to them and it's their money.

LaRae

I read that Harry and Meghan have a rented house in the country? IF true, why are they renting when they can afford to by a house? That doesn't make much sense and a waste of money on a house that is not really theirs.

Sometimes people rent in an area before deciding if it is where they would like to buy.

They may also want to buy in this area but there is nothing suitable available in their price range.

Remember that security does have the final say a lot of the time. I remember when Princess Anne wanted to buy an apartment in London and was stopped from doing so as security said they couldn't make is safe enough for her so she kept her apartment at BP and Gatcombe with no permanent, personal home in London.

Well I very much agree with you on renting, anyone regardless of who you are or how much money you have seems to me a waste of money on something that is no value to you in the end. I see that some people in this world who have bank accounts with no end in sight of money would consider renting as they have no understanding of the value of money when they have everything at their disposal.

There are reasons to rent when you have the money to buy, like flexibility. Given the possibility of changing space in the next few years, it would be wise for them to rent rather than buy.

Well I very much agree with you on renting, anyone regardless of who you are or how much money you have seems to me a waste of money on something that is no value to you in the end. I see that some people in this world who have bank accounts with no end in sight of money would consider renting as they have no understanding of the value of money when they have everything at their disposal.

There are people all over the world (particularly Europe) that rent for all kinds of reasons....it isn't a negative for everyone to rent and it may have nothing to do with money at all, or not knowing the value of it...which I am pretty sure that is not the case with Harry/Meghan.

LaRae

:previous:
I would think they would plan for this ahead of time as they most certainly knew they wanted a family........all children need stability in life and I really do think that even William and Catherine take that into consideration when having children. IMHO renting when you can afford to buy is still a huge waste of money......for then in buying you can always sell for a profit and buy another!

There are people all over the world (particularly Europe) that rent for all kinds of reasons....it isn't a negative for everyone to rent and it may have nothing to do with money at all, or not knowing the value of it...which I am pretty sure that is not the case with Harry/Meghan.

LaRae

I am not talking about *people all over the world* here or in Europe. And I *never* said it was a *negative Pranter so please do not put words in my mouth or comments. And none of us really knows how Harry or Meghan think about the value of money as we do not know these people. IMHO I see renting by anyone who has tons of money as a waste of money, in buying a piece of property to live in when you want to move again, then sell it for a profit and buy another.......to me that makes sense yet that is MY opinion and I do not expect anyone to agree with me....I do see the FC is live and well and heaven forbid anyone disagrees with them about Harry and Meghan. We all are entitled to our own opinions here or not........

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because you have the money to buy doesn't mean you have found the right property..they've only been married 5 months or so. They may be waiting for something to happen at Sandringham or for all we know looking at options every weekend....or maybe they need to figure out exactly where they want their 'bolthole' to be located.

Military families move often and their kids are not damaged from it. I think their children will survive if the first year of life they aren't in the same house every day...and we know they wouldn't be anyway because Harry/Meghan will be going back/forth to London just like the Cambridges.

LaRae

Just because you have the money to buy doesn't mean you have found the right property..they've only been married 5 months or so. They may be waiting for something to happen at Sandringham or for all we know looking at options every weekend....or maybe they need to figure out exactly where they want their 'bolthole' to be located.

Military families move often and their kids are not damaged from it. I think their children will survive if the first year of life they aren't in the same house every day...and we know they wouldn't be anyway because Harry/Meghan will be going back/forth to London just like the Cambridges.

LaRae

And as I said before that *is my opinion here* so you tell me am I allowed to have a different opinion from the FC or not..........and I was not talking about military families either..........the only people I was talking about is Harry and Meghan...they knew they wanted a family before the marriage as we all know as Harry as stated as much long before Meghan and I am sure she agreed with him.......so IMHO I would think they would plan for a home big enough for a family while getting married......that is something I think most sensible couples do when knowing they are going to be together in life as a family.

I am not going to go back and forth with you over this........you can disagree with me as that is not a problem for me........I like long term planning for me when considering something important in life........like an employer once said to me........what are your goals 5 years from now........planning a life to me is what sensible goal minded people do.........not haphazardly merrily going along in life without a thought.

Most kids I know that have moved are not traumatized because they had to move to a different house when they are young. And no, you don't always sell a house for profit. Remember the last decade? There are also costs associated to buying and selling a house. Better be sure before you move into an area permanently. Besides, they'll likely have more option as the royal household changes in the next few years.

I honestly don't care if they rent or buy. I'm sure they are old enough to make the best decision based on what they want. :lol: But there is nothing wrong with renting if they want to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enough with the snide FC comments. I have posted here more than once when I didn't care for something they did/said/wore. Just because I disagree with you does not mean I agree with or support everything they do.

LaRae

There are many reasons, we just don't know.

They don't have endless liquid assets. Harry has no income, his interest from his investments is his income outside his dad. They use it to buy a house, they lose a lot of their income.

They might or likely are getting a leased property on one of the estates. Maybe not, but if they will have a country home and not just London base, is more likely. The home may be under renovations and they need done where to stay while done. Owning a home doesn't make sense then.

They may not be getting a country home at all. London may be their base. But right now they live in a cramped cottage. They may be renting a bigger place in the country while their bigger London home is sorted out.

None of us know the real reason.

Last edited:
Does Meghan get residuals from Suits or any of the projects she was doing before Harry?

I have wondered if an estate will be bought for them at some point if they don't end up at Sandringham. Kinda like Gatscomb was done for Anne. She lives there (and her family) but it's owned by The Queen.

LaRae

Maybe they are renting because the house they will have long term isn’t ready. There are rumors about a house in Windsor.

Maybe they are renting because when Harry’s father becomes King a lot of things will change.

Maybe they are renting because they can’t really sink that much money into buying a substantial property without touching the principal of Harry’s trust fund, thereby decreasing his income.

William rented in Wales when he was in the RAF Search and Rescue because it was a temporary situation. Harry and Meghan could be renting for the same reason- they need temporary accommodations for some reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom