Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Puzzled. Your link does not link to anything indicated as a Slopes Lodge. :huh: It links to Adelaide Cottage.

Am I missing something?

It was the house indicated by one of the news outlets that showed a building quite close to Windsor Castle as being Adelaide Cottage, that was perhaps actually not Lady Nimue.

Here are some screen shots I took of what is indicated to be Adelaide Cottage - closer to Frogmore than the castle. This was shown as such - as Adelaide Cottage - on an old map.

#googleearth https://earth.app.goo.gl/4A5gfo

#googleearth https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.g...491007a,283.05358134d,35y,332.94371628h,0t,0r

It also seems to have the fountain in the garden mentioned as part of Adelaide Cottage, which the other property doesn't seem to have.

(The other one were I posted it being not far from the back door of the castle, and which was the one indicated by the Mirror article.)

It was the house indicated by one of the news outlets that showed a building quite close to Windsor Castle as being Adelaide Cottage, that was perhaps actually not Lady Nimue.

Here are some screen shots I took of what is indicated to be Adelaide Cottage - closer to Frogmore than the castle. This was shown as such - as Adelaide Cottage - on an old map.
#googleearth https://earth.app.goo.gl/4A5gfo
#googleearth https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.g...491007a,283.05358134d,35y,332.94371628h,0t,0r

It also seems to have the fountain in the garden mentioned as part of Adelaide Cottage, which the other property doesn't seem to have.

(The other one were I posted it being not far from the back door of the castle, and which was the one indicated by the Mirror article.)

If you zoom in and recenter the map so that Windsor castle is at the midway point on the left side of the map, and Adelaide cottage is near the bottom about one third of the way away from the edge of the map, you'll see that there's a building identified as Slope Lodge north of the East Lawn; the Mirror identified that as Adelaide Cottage.

Thank you! :flowers: Can't believe I actually did see what you mean. ;) So the white house/cottage we are being shown (with the seat and tree in front) is actually Slopes Cottage?

Thank you! :flowers: Can't believe I actually did see what you mean. ;) So the white house/cottage we are being shown (with the seat and tree in front) is actually Slopes Cottage?

I’m not sure about that. There are old photographs of Adelaide Cottage at royalcollection.org.uk that look like the white colored house.

Last edited:
I’m not sure about that. There are old photographs of Adelaide Cottage at royalcollection.org.uk that look like the white colored house.

Yes, I think all the photos posted are of Adelaide Cottage.

It was only the location as first indicated by the Mirror that wasn't accurate - though they may now have corrected that.

There is a painting of it in the Royal Collection - not sure if that has been posted, starting to lose track now of what I saw where.

The last resident was reported as being The Queen's cousin Margaret Rhodes' son.

Previous to that it was a Grace-and -Favour home to the Windsor Castle librarian.

I think her husband was in charge of the Royal Collection, but Adelaide Cottage was in her name as it came with her role.

(Think Simon Rhodes was also the librarian in his time. There is a lovely internet article about private tours he did of various Royal residences - tailored to the client/behind the scenes.)

Thanks for all the info regarding Edward & Andrew's leasing agreement. I must admit I am having some trouble seeing the advantage of leasing on a property from the Crown estate VS buying a house/estate that Harry and Meghan can 100% own and pass down to their children. Especially as their family will get further and further away from the main line in the coming generations.

I understand that it is probably cheaper and properties in the Crown estate are likely up to the security standards required for a royal residence but regardless of how long the lease is it seems better overall to use the money to buy a house/estate. Unless of course Charles plans to leave some of his private property to Harry.

Last edited:
What I find very confusing is what a Grecian/Egyptian fireplace would look like. Lots of Cupids perhaps.?

Last edited:
What I find very confusing is what a Grecian/Egyptian fireplace would look like. Lots of Cupids perhaps?

Ha! :D

Thanks for all the info regarding Edward & Andrew's leasing agreement. I must admit I am having some trouble seeing the advantage of leasing on a property from the Crown estate VS buying a house/estate that Harry and Meghan can 100% own and pass down to their children. Especially as their family will get further and further away from the main line in the coming generations.

I understand that it is probably cheaper and properties in the Crown estate are likely up to the security standards required for a royal residence but regardless of how long the lease is it seems better overall to use the money to buy a house/estate. Unless of course Charles plans to leave some of his private property to Harry.

Agree. :flowers: Would make more sense to accept some gifted property from Charles than do a lease or even buy. But if either of the last two, I'd buy.

[is what a Grecian/Egyptian fireplace would look like. Lots of Cupids perhaps?]

Not really, generally a lot more severe in appearance like this..

[Altho' this is a French not English interpretation].

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Thank you Wyevale. I google imaged the fireplaces too.

I think Adelaide Cottage is probably the most reasonable contender put forth by the media so far. The only issue I see is that it seems very close to an active golf course.

We know privacy and security are among the top requirements for the couple. The Royal Household Golf Club at Windsor Castle is still active as a private golf course for its members.

One of the problems with owing a large estate is taxes and upkeep with no income. Also they need property that can be secured and lodgings for the off duty RPOs.

A problem with the idea of passing the estate down to any children, it would probably be sold for death duties anyway within a generation or two.

Does Charles personally own property other than Birkhall? I know the Duchy of Cornwall actually owns a lot of "his" property.

Last edited:
One of the problems with owing a large estate is taxes and upkeep with no income. Also they need property that can be secured and lodgings for the off duty RPOs.

A problem with the idea of passing the estate down to any children, it would probably be sold for death duties anyway within a generation or two.

Does Charles personally own property other than Birkhall? I know the Duchy of Cornwall actually owns a lot of "his" property.
Let's not forget that once Brexit hits there won't be any agricultural subsidies from the EU anymore. The UK government has promised to match the subsidies for 5 years after leaving the EU. These subsidies of around £3 billion have disproportionately been given to large estates and if removed must be a big blow to the landowners. To invest in a big estate for the Sussexes at such an unsure time would be mad and there's a risk it would turn out to be a money pit.

These royal homes are important because with a republic, unless things are crazy, there is only one couple living off the State and with a royal family there are several couples living off the State. I do realise, however, that some republics have freeloading presidential setups which are nearly as bad as in the monarchies! So, I feel sad that Harry and Meghan are yet another couple living, in some way, off the State!

When it comes to what Prince Charles owns, I once read that he owns his Aston Martin and his loot is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. I'm sure he has collectibles and silver and that sort of stuff though. He has a signet ring and he would have been given expensive presents over the years. It is a really grey area as to what is royal and what is government with these reigning families.

These royal homes are important because with a republic, unless things are crazy, there is only one couple living off the State and with a royal family there are several couples living off the State. I do realise, however, that some republics have freeloading presidential setups which are nearly as bad as in the monarchies! So, I feel sad that Harry and Meghan are yet another couple living, in some way, off the State!

Up until 2012, the only royals that received funding from the Civil List is the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen Mother. When the Civil List was abolished, the Sovereign Grant was established to establish funds to support the monarchy. Details are published each year and can be found in the Royal Wealth and Finance thread. Personal expenses for the Queen and her family derive from a percentage of the profits of the Duchy of Lancaster alloted to the Queen with the exception of Charles, his spouse and his children and families. They are funded through the percentage of the profits the Duchy of Cornwall alloted to Charles. They also pay taxes on this income.

What it boils down to is that the only thing the "taxpayer" of the UK pays for directly is security for the royal family.

The Royal Wealth and Finance thread makes for an interesting read and clears up many misconceptions that people have. ?

From the outside, York Cottage looks like it has potentional with some extensive work and decorating. A shame the inside really is that gloomy.

Is there a list somewhere on all the potentional buildings on some of the Queen's estates that could be used? I've looked, but no luck.

York Cottage is a non-starter. It houses the Sandringham estate offices - and no privacy right across from the tourist path,

Royal Musings: York Cottage for the Sussexes ... I think not

So if I remember correctly Windsor park is crown estate while Sandringham is considered the Queen's private property.

So the Queen could gift Anmer Hall in Sandringham to the Cambridges and they didn't have to pay anything but is Adelaide cottage the Queen's gift to the Sussexs?

I think it would be similar to the Yorks arrangement with the Royal Lodge which is also located on the same estate the Sussexs would have given a special leasing agreement.

William does not own Anmer Hall. It is a lease. It will be the same for Adelaide Cottage. Not owned .

Royal Musings: A Windsor home for the Sussexes?

:previous: Yes and no. Yes in that neither Harry or William would own the houses.

But the situation is different. Adelaide is owned by the crown estate. They simply lease the home. And when the lease is up, ownership remains with he crown estate. Someone will be paying money on the lease, whatever is worked out (yearly like Wessexes or lump payment like Andrew).

Amner belongs to the royal family, simply to the queen. And later Charles and so on, as it belongs to Sandringham estate. Elizabeth simply gifted the us of it to William and Kate. They don't pay any money on a lease as would be expected on Adelaide. The home used to be leased out before it was given to the Cambridges.

Adelaide is pretty small by the looks of it. If they do end up there, London will be their main base IMO.

The rental of an estate right now makes sense. No matter what the housing arrangements are (both London and in the country) work will need to be done on the home. They need somewhere until then.

No. And Birkhall is part of the Balmoral estate and is therefore in reality owned by HM and not Charles.

Up until 2012, the only royals that received funding from the Civil List is the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen Mother. When the Civil List was abolished, the Sovereign Grant was established to establish funds to support the monarchy. Details are published each year and can be found in the Royal Wealth and Finance thread. Personal expenses for the Queen and her family derive from a percentage of the profits of the Duchy of Lancaster alloted to the Queen with the exception of Charles, his spouse and his children and families. They are funded through the percentage of the profits the Duchy of Cornwall alloted to Charles. They also pay taxes on this income.

What it boils down to is that the only thing the "taxpayer" of the UK pays for directly is security for the royal family.

The Royal Wealth and Finance thread makes for an interesting read and clears up many misconceptions that people have. [emoji2]
Actually, all of the surplus from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall accrue to HM and the PoW respectively as their private income. They are free to use them as they consider appropriate. The Duchy of Lancaster, for example, provides the financing for all the children of the Queen (other than the Wales branch).

Subject to certain checks and balances, the Sovereign Grant is set at 15% of the profit from the Crown Estate.

Last edited:
Adelaide Cottage looks nice and private didn't Group Captain Peter Townesend live there at one stage?

You should not forgot that with a President there are usually also former Presidents alive who also get an Income from the State. Here in Germany we had until 2014 5 former Preisdent living who all had the right to an Sold of Honor (Ehrensold in german) an office paid for by the State with several people as well as an car with Chauffeur. One of the them had renounced the Sold of Honor.

Last edited:
You should not forgot that with a President there are usually also former Presidents alive who also get an Income from the State. Here in Germany we haid until 2014 5 former Preisdent living who all had the right to an Sold of Honor (Ehrensold in german) an office paid for by the State with several people as well as an car with Chauffeur. One of the them had renounced had renounced the Sold of Honor.

Yes. In US, former Presidents and First Ladies are provided with lifetime Secret Service protection at the taxpayers' expense. It was once scaled back to 10 years after leaving the presidency (Bush 43 would've been the only one to be affected by this), but it went back to lifetime two years ago. Plus, all former presidents get a certain amount each year to maintain an office. Not to forget pensions for all other politicians as well.

Last edited:
You should not forgot that with a President there are usually also former Presidents alive who also get an Income from the State. Here in Germany we had until 2014 5 former Preisdent living who all had the right to an Sold of Honor (Ehrensold in german) an office paid for by the State with several people as well as an car with Chauffeur. One of the them had renounced the Sold of Honor.

Just curious: who was that who renounced the Sold of Honor? :cool:

Ex French presidents cost 'the EARTH', and there are MANY of them.. the oldest extant [Valéry Giscard d'Estaing] ceased to be President in 1981 !
ALL former French presidents, are entitled to a €6,000-a-month (£4,800) "pension", plus if he decides to sit on the constitutional council, again his right as a former president, he gets another €11,500 a month. This is paid whether he decides to return to other paid employment.

He also has the right to a "fully furnished and equipped" apartment paid for by the state, two police officers to ensure his security, a state car with two chauffeurs, seven office staff and free business-class travel on Air France and SNCF, the national train company. And if he does fly abroad, he has the right to stay in the local ambassador or consul's residence.
The idea that Republics are 'cheaper' is a fallacy..

Let’s get back on topic please - we’ve drifted far from what this thread is actually about. Thank you.

This is one of those times I wish we were back a few decades when it was 'normal' for there to be magazine spreads regarding royal palaces and living quarters. ;) So curious! Wish we could see what Meghan's and Harry's Cotswold house looks like.

My sense is that there is a generational shift occurring regarding giving the public peeks into how the royals live: both the Queen (who started it) and Charles (who continued it) will be the only two royals to allow these peeks. Darn! :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom