Favorite Engagement Outfit

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I quite liked Mary's, its a very classic outfit so was Maximas. I liked Letizia's, matched her personality IMO.

MM's outfit was ill fitting. Looked like she got it last minute. The color washed her out.
Mathilda's outfit was too casuall IMO.

My favourite engagement outfit is Letizia's outfit. It is very simple & lovely.

My favorite (of those pictures listed above) were of:

Prince Joachim & Alexandra

I think Mathilde's was one of the worst. Although she seems to have long legs, her white pants accentuated that and made her look quite out of proportion. And usually I love her and think she's very well dressed (one of my favorite of the princesses now).

Mary was the best.Very elegant, esp. her hairdo. Maxima's dress was nice, but I have always found it not her style I can't explain it, Mathilde was not too bad imo, just too casual, but she looked nice in it. Mette-Marit is very nice but not her clothes (usually) except for her beautiful weddingdress!! Letizia looked very nice as well. I don't know what to think of the suit, but she looked so much better than she does now, it is a bit better the last months but, oh dear, she had times she looked like a shadow of her former self, not happy at all.
Alexandra looked awfull!!! the worst, good grief she looked 10 years older with that hair, not goodlooking, she indeed looked like a chinese office woman. Well at least she improved a lot. Marie, well not bad not my taste, but she looked okay.
Queen Elizabeth actually looked very nice as well and queen Margaret has a lovely face!!

Mathilde was one of the most surprising and thus one of the most succesfull engagement outfits. I remember that in the few days between the photoshoot there were very little/no pictures of Mathilde dÚdekem d'Acoz available. So when the big moment arrived and the two appeared together outside, the surprise was enormous when she seemed to be such a pretty and modern looking woman (emphasized by the trousers, as was remarked in the press). Everybody expected a frumpy, matronly looking woman and there on the stairs of Laeken was the opposite...

With Máxima they seemed to do the opposite, there were some images in the press of her at a wedding in Argentina in a short dress, so to evade the image of party girl they put her in one of the most frumpy outfits she ever worn, only to be surpassed by the outfit she wore on her first official engagement at the Keukenhof. Still, her personality already stood out...

Last edited:
With the exception of Mary and Maxima, all of the others look like thay got up from their desks in the middle of a busy day and rushed from their office to the Palace for the announcment!
Mary's whole outfit, hair-do, make-up, jewelry and presentation looked very carefully planned out. It was wonderful
Maxima - love the color of the dress.
Marie - too tanned in a blinding white outfit that looked awful
Laurentien - skirt was way too short and oh, those eyebrows!
Mathilde - she is so pretty and her outfit was so awful. Totally underdressed.
Mette-Marit -- frumpy pink suit and ugly shoes
Letizia - wonderful pantsuit that made her look very much the professional business
woman
Alexandra - a broad-shouldered Reagan-red suit right out of the 1980's - only this
was a decade later! Also, too much make-up and the tragic permed hair
Claire - very proper but even on the engagement day, Laurent can't muster a smile

Best of all: Queen Elizabeth - taking in the times - the dress, coat, hair, pearls ...
perfection

I'll put Maxima first and then Mary. Both wore elegant outfits, but I prefer Maxima's red over Mary's taupe.

I choose Mary's outfit.She looked gorgeous,the best start for a Princess :flowers:

I love this dress! The shape and color are perfect for Victoria's figure and complexion. I have never seen her look happier.

I think Victoria's engagement dress is gonna be my favourite from now on (until something better comes up ;)).I liked it so much,definitely more than Mary's :flowers:

i love the colour of Victoria's dress it was perfect for her and now one of my favourite engagement outfits - she was postively glowing today

Last edited:
I love the cut and color. The big smile on her face definitely completed the outfit.

Well I still like the suit Alexandra wore (Prince Joachim), perhaps it was her absulate utter joy that came thru..............

I would have to say it is a tie between Mary and Victoria. I still think Mary looked lovely on her engagement announcement day but the gorgeous color and cut of Victoria's dress is lovely. Following closely behind them in my opinion is Maxima. I love the color she wore and she is so beautiful.

Mathilde had the worst. I can't believe after wearing that she would become one of my favorite princesses as far as style.

Letizia looked nice but it looked like something she would have worn on air while reporting the news.

Mette-Marit was okay. A little drab considering her personality. I don't think her outfit reflected her at all. It appears to me that someone not knowing her very well helped her with the outfit choice. But I can see why the ultra-conservative look was chosen based on her past. I'm sure the royal family wanted to be sure she was seen as serious.

Mette-Marit was okay. A little drab considering her personality. I don't think her outfit reflected her at all. [...] But I can see why the ultra-conservative look was chosen based on her past. I'm sure the royal family wanted to be sure she was seen as serious.
Actually that's what I think, too.

Btw, for the official engagement photo MM wore a different dress:
http://www.nettyroyal.nl/images/haakonmette.jpg

For me it's definately a choice between Maxima Mary and Victoria! Maxima looked stunning and colourful. Mary looks good in more tonal shades such as beiges, browns and taupes with a slight pattern and Victoria looks good in block colours with a simple design. Victoria's enagement outfit was stunning for its simplicity and with the diamond broach.

It seems that if you want to look regal and royal, a plain dress with a broach does the trick (at least for the ladies!).

-after the engagement of princess victoria , my favorite was the dress of princess Maxima ,simple ;elegent and the brooch give the dress a princely look !
but , know my favorite is absolutly CP Victoria dress ; (i adore the bleu) she was stunning with this simple dress ; nice choice !

With the exception of Mary and Maxima, all of the others look like thay got up from their desks in the middle of a busy day and rushed from their office to the Palace for the announcment!
I am in absolute agreement. Surprisingly ;) I don't actually think that was the look they were going for. :whistling:
Best of all: Queen Elizabeth - taking in the times - the dress, coat, hair, pearls ... perfection
I chose Mary and Elizabeth for the same reason you stated.

However, Queen Margrethe and Maxima looked so happy and radiated such joy that it totally eclipsed everyother consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crown Princess Victoria looked every inch the princess during the interview with the press. I hope she follows a similar regal vein with her wedding gown!

Well I still like the suit Alexandra wore (Prince Joachim), perhaps it was her absulate utter joy that came thru..............

I have to say that, although she was so happy then, both the red and pink suits (and her hair) was horrible - and a bit too short. I did like that she wore red though, as that is what Chinese ladies traditionally wear on their engagement day. I don't mid her outfit for the official photo, although I'm not wild about, I just like the colour:
http://www.princessalexandradk.info/p1.jpg

Definitely Mary's one, I love that warm beige outfit, and that sofisticated detail of double chocolate brown belt.

there's not many dresses that i don't particularly like. perhaps we just need to take into account that times change and perhaps a dress which was great some years ago now looks aged and out of fashion.

i'd say letizia, mary, victoria and maxima did very well. i loved letizia's suit, great choice IMO, very clean and simple. it had so many imitations in spain. everyone was in love with the "letizia neckline". maxima's dress was so classic and well-made. you can tell it was made to suit HER and just her for such a big day. same applies to victoria, lovely colour and clean and simple. mary's dress and coat were both perfect, including her valentino shoes.

princess elizabeth looked great. even with so much time in between she still looks so stylish!

i'm not sure who was the responsible for the make up of salma bennani. she looks like she was taken out of a geisha film.

Back
Top Bottom